Chapter 58 - Disclosure

Star Illusion | ATEEZ Pirate AU

 

 

The bridge of the Revenge went quiet as grave once I confessed everything to Ateez; my transmigration, my liar, the book, storyline, their characters, their relationships with Y/N, the bad ending, except about them being an idol because that it’d be strange to know that they’re clone of other people. Knowing that they’re book characters is bad enough. It’s like their fate is being pulled strings by an unknown creator.

The atmosphere is eerily like a haunted ship. The chilliness of the night and my suspense cause my body to tremble. The candle lit chandelier cast shadow over the pirates’ faces. They’re losing in their thoughts, processing the information I told them. And without doubt they’re figuring out what to do with me. As one by one, they start to fix their gazes on me.

Scared by their stern looks, I spoke up after they silently stared at me for over a minute. “Guys, say something.”

And that was the mistake because all hell broke loose.

 

“A book? Us in a book?! How ridiculous!!” Seonghwa is the first one to scoff, he stood up and looked as if he'd come to strangle me. Luckily, the boatswain held him down.

“Calm down, sir. That truly sounds incredible, but think about it. Her story matched with the past events, and how she came to know about the curse. She bid us goodbye at the island because she thought it was the end of the story. And she used to mention to me that we couldn’t sail her back home because it was too far away. Everything kinda makes sense now.” Jongho said, twinkle filling in his round eyes. He let go of Seonghwa’s shoulder to grab his chin, activating his brain to its full power.

“Star’s a person from another dimension, she traveled into our world which is inside a book. She alternated the storyline, but failed to go home because we failed to reach Wonderland. Then how’s the book going to end? And our thoughts and our fate will depend on the author? No, that can’t be. If that was the case, then Star wouldn't be here to save us. Or we were destined to die from the start... and if the book ends then what will happen to us?” A series of strange questions fly out of Jongho’s mouth. The grumpy quartermaster listens to the younger boy and looks like his head will explode.

“Aurora was meant to end up with one of us.” Wooyoung chuckled and later made a shocked meme expression. “Then who was her lover?”

“We died...” Yunho mumbles, completely out of his mind, his hands grab on his sky blue hair. Then he snaps into reality and shouts, “We died!”

“Shooting Star, you’re joking right? Let me tell you, your jokes aren’t impressive. I don’t approve of it. A person like me can’t be a book character. Here, touch me. I’m warm and alive.” Mingi extended his arm to me. When I apologetically shook my head at him, he let out a loud yell. “Ahh! this can’t be happening! What are we going to do? Where’s the author!? We need to talk!!!”

“Ah...so that's what you meant when you told me you were from the other world. But you read our story from a book...how?” Yeosang mumbles questioningly at me, face drain of color. I’m at loss of word too. To be correct, I didn’t read it from the book but my laptop and phone, but I don’t want to spend time explaining those electronic devices to them.

My body started to slide down the chair, attempting to disappear from the earth surface. I expect them to freak out but not to this extent. I guess the very next moment I’d be swimming with the giant squid.

 

A sound of slapping the table shut all of them up. I jolt and sit up properly.

At the head of the table, Hongjoong draws his breath and exhales, his yellow slit eyes stare at me intently, they’re no longer filled with perplexity like a moment ago but with determination. “So that was the reason why you have to leave me.”

I nod stiffly. Out of all things, he has to mention that first. Perhaps I made the right decision to not tell him that there’s another Hongjoong out there that I like, he’d either throw hands or throw me out of the ship.

He lets out a sarcastic chuckle, “You sure played your role well, seeress.”

“Uh,” I shift uncomfortably in my seat, carefully choosing my words to answer him. “You’re welcome?”

Facepalmed.

Hongjoong doesn’t react, he simply flashes me his signature grin that I have no idea what that's supposed to mean. However, the person on his right side lets out a loud snort.

“I was right all along, you were acting like a seer and lied about losing your memory.” Seonghwa gives me an I-knew-you-were-trouble look. “You must have fun fooling us, the book characters that you can manipulate how you want.”

I shake my head and look down to my lap like a scolded child.

“Seonghwa.” Hongjoong stops the fuming quartermaster with a sharp tone. Seonghwa breathes out a frustrated sigh and slams his back against the backrest of the chair.

I chew my lower lip, and decide to speak up for myself.

“It was scary.” I said.

Seonghwa whips his head at me with a raised eyebrow.

“You don’t know how scary it was to suddenly come into an unfamiliar world. I tried to survive and go back home. I’m sorry that I had to make up plenty of lies but that was for your own good. All I did was to help you break the curse. I’m sorry that you guys turned into sea monsters.”

Seonghwa's hardened expression falters, he snorts and looks the other way.

“Star is also a victim here. It’s not right to blame everything on her. Now she can’t go home and is trapped in our world.” said Yeosang. I look at my blue nose angel and wanna hug him so bad.

“And according to the book she read, we died. Without her help, we could be dead.” He continues.

“Instead we turned into monsters.” Seonghwa mutters, spreading his petty legacy.

“And that’s beyond her power.” Yeosang retorts.

Yes, fight him Yeosang. K.O him with the right hook.

 

Too bad, that didn’t happen as Hongjoong interfered before the two escalated into argument.

“I believe none of my crew blame you Star. You’ve done so much for us and we’re forever in debt to you. Seonghwa was just stating his concern.” Hongjoong peers at the foul mood quartermaster. “Seonghwa, why don’t you be our representative and say a word of appreciation to our life savior.”

The other guys and I have our mouths hang open. Hongjoong literally abused his power into making Seonghwa a clown.

Squinting his eyes at Hongjoong, who isn’t kidding as he maintains an unyielding gaze, Seonghwa grits his teeth and turns to me. His mouth twists into a dangerous smirk.

“In the name of the Revenge crew, we appreciate your help, bravery, and kindness to rescue us from our doom. Since we aren’t fully turned into sea monsters, you’ll be rewarded exceptionally that you’ll never forget, Miss Star.”

For some reason, I shiver, goosebumps rise all over my body. He probably plans to take revenge on me later. On the other hand, Ateez fake coughing to hide their laughter.

“Well said, quartermaster.” Hongjoong chuckles softly, earning rolling eyes from Seonghwa. “Alright, what Star explained sounds unbelievable; however, we have no choice but to trust her. Since the event had changed, we unfortunately turned into sea monsters and trapped inside the witch territory. At this moment we must strengthen our defense. Even though the witch and her monsters couldn’t get into the water for a reason, she might come up with an unexpected way to capture us.”

We nod in acknowledgement, uttering nothing as we are at a loss of what to do. Our opponent has magic while we’re normal human beings.

“Captain, I recall that sea witch seemed to fear San’s dagger. It could be a weapon to win against her.” Jongho delivers his opinion. His white pointy tooth flashes as he speaks.

Hongjoong nods. “True, they feared his dagger.” He then crane his neck to the combatant on the window sill. “San, how did you get that dagger?”

San averts his eyes from his new claws to Hongjoong. He pulls San dagger out from the sheath and raises it for everyone to see before answering Hongjoong. “Someone gave me.”

“Who?”

“A woman.”

“Which woman?”

“Don’t remember.”

“Why did she give it to you?”

“To give it to her.” San peers at me. Then all of the heads also turn to me, they’re baffled by his answer.

“Me?” I point at my face, confused.

“What do you mean? Why would the woman ask you to give it to Star? Did she know you’ll meet her someday?”

San stayed quiet for a moment and replied, “Don’t know.”

Hongjoong sighs, exasperated by San's short answer. So Seonghwa took over the role. “And what were you doing at that time?”

“Dying.”

“Dying!?” The room erupted with shocked gasp while the person who disclosed the information remained unbothered.

“San, when did you die? How did that happen?” The surprising news caused the captain to glower.

“Before you found me.” San answers nonchalantly, playing with the dagger in his left hand.

We wait for his further explanation but he continues playing with the dagger, silent.

“For ’s sake, could you answer us with a clear answer? We don’t have time for your riddles. Just ing tell us what happened!” Mingi growls, he appears to be extra moody. A light spark from his eel arm.

“Well, Sannie if you don’t cooperate then your little Star will have to witness you turning into a hideous sea monster. You know girls hate ugly stuff.” Wooyoung tried to persuade his mate by using my name.

Seriously.

 

The dagger in the combatant’s hand stab into the wooden sill, causing us to hold our breath. San stares at me, a frown appears between his eyebrows. A flash of pain passes across his face as he starts giving off a dark aura. Then he lowers his head down while his hand furls into a shaking fist.

We look at each other, not sure what to do. Then the pirates are glaring at Wooyoung and Mingi for touching San’s sensitive topic. I sigh and stare at the lone figure sitting at the window sill. Even though he usually put up an indifferent facade, who knows how much pain he holds within himself.

“San, if you don’t want to talk about it, it’s fine. But can you tell us more how you get that dagger in detail?” I said to him gently.

His fist stops shaking, then he slowly lifts up his head, eyes shone with bloodthirstiness. I taken aback and look around for help, the other guys also appear disconcerted as well.

“Before you found me, they keelhauled me.” His hoarse voice echoed throughout the room.

The guys all frown as they’re oblivious to this information. Keelhauling is the most cruel form of punishment for sailors. I read somewhere in the book that pirates tie a wrongdoer by the rope and throw the person overboard and drag their body along the keel. To think that he experienced such punishment, my eyes start to well in tears.

“The rope broke, my body drifted to nowhere and there, a woman found me. She restored my last breath and gave me this dagger, saying I must grant it to the person who has the same eye color of the aquamarine sea.”

Ateez then turned to look at my eyes. I blink rapidly. How strange. The story shouldn’t contain my appearance right? Because I didn't exist at the time that San died.

“Then I came back, alive. I avenged all of those people” San chuckles darkly. “Too bad you lot found me first so I couldn’t drag their souls to hell by myself.”

We all swallow our saliva when San smirk devilishly. The killing intent fills the air so thick I hardly breathe properly.

“The ship where we found you.” Hongjoong mutters in deep thought, then he gave San a concerned look. “Thank you for telling us your past. Sorry that you have to bring up bad memory. I’m sure those scoundrels would rot in hell. And I’m glad that you’re here with us.”

San nods, bending his head down, strands of hair fall over his eyes.

I recall Wooyoung told me how they came upon San in a ship full of corpses. It could be the same people that killed him. San never told Ateez the reason why he massacred those people. Today, because of our persistence, he touched his unhealing wound.

“That’s the longest sentence I ever heard him speak.” Seonghwa snickers.

“It’s called the power of love.” Wooyoung giggles though his expression slightly gloom by the past of his best friend 

After Wooyoung’s sentence, the room turned awkward. I glare at the purple haired guy who shamelessly gives me a wink when our gaze met. Worriedly, I side glance at San. However, he’s already staring outside the window, detaching himself from the world.

Someone clears his throat and changes the topic. “Could it be that the woman is the same person as the old hag that sea witch mentioned?” Thanks to Jongho, the guys engage in conversation once again.

“Right, it could be. The old hag might plan to bring Star into our world to defeat the sea witch. She foresaw San would meet her so she gave him the dagger. And they really met on the ship. Wow! just like fate.” Yunho said in awe.

The more I listen, the more spooky it sounds. It seems like this mysterious woman planned to bring me inside the book all along. And Me defeat the sea witch? I can’t even defeat my own laziness.

“That role used to belong to Aurora but she somehow sided with the witch so now it became Star role.” Jongho added.

“So that was why the witch said Star stole her place and her men,” Wooyoung caused the awkwardness once again. Yunho has to kick him under the table to shut him up. However, Wooyoung kicks Yunho back and continues blabbing.

“Then the plan is easy. Send little Star and San dagger to defeat the witch. While we’ll cheer on you from the ship.” He smirks teasingly at me.

“Yunho, do you mind kicking him again?” I told Yunho. However, this time Yunho and Mingi both raise their hand to smack the purple haired guy that sits between them.

“Stop with the nonsense, will you?” Seonghwa scolds them. Luckily, the playful first mate didn’t receive any slaps from his mates. “The witch tried to kill her with that Kra-” He paused, realizing the forbidden word, “That giant squid. She almost died multiple times. Sea witch will kill her with a snap of finger. Whoever this old hag, she made a grave mistake by bringing this girl here.”

I’m not sure if Seonghwa tried to help me or insult me.

“We’re not letting Star fight against the witch even if that's the old hag’s plans.” Fire burst in Hongjoong’s orbs. “We still don’t know that woman's real intention. If she is really on our side then why has she never appeared before us?” His skepticism rings a bell in everyone's mind.

“Then what if this woman is the author of the book?” Yeosang voices out. The others look at him with wide eyes. “She doesn't want us, the main characters to die so she wanted to change the ending by sending Star here.”

“Wait, if she is the author then why would she need Star? She could just write it.” Jongho says and looks at me. “Honestly, I’m not convinced that we’re inside a book. What if this is our real world but our story is written into a story instead.”

I blink at him. Error: brain not found.

“I don’t know. I have no clue. Oh wait!” I almost jumped out of the chair as I remembered the most important clue so far. “Seakeeper, it’s the name of the author and the name of your figurehead.”

The guys are all dropping their jaws. Hongjoong shockingly stares at me.

Mingi abruptly stands up, his chair screeching. “Seakeeper, the author, the dagger woman, the old hag, what if they’re the same person?!”

Everyone draws their breath sharply. “That could be.” I said, mind blowing. I don’t know what’s going on anymore.

“Ah, so that was why you often talked to the figurehead” Jongho nods his head. 

“Captain, you’re the one that named our figurehead as Seakeeper. You never told us about her origin. Who is she?” Seonghwa asks Hongjoong.

“I bet she was his past lover. Someone gonna cry in her sleep tonight.” Wooyoung mumbles, then some of them look at me worriedly.

I shot them a look. Hongjoong told me she was someone important but neither his lover nor his mother. I’m not worried about her relationship with Hongjoong. I only hope that her story gives us a clue.

Hongjoong pinches his nose, closing his eyes with brows tying into knots.

“Captain, are you okay?” Yunho asks, concerned by Hongjoong’s expression. After a short moment, Hongjoong opens his eyes, they’re full of pain and longing.

“Seakeeper…”

We stop breathing, waiting for his revealing.

 

 

“She was my grandma.”

 

There was a long pause as everyone couldn't believe their ears.

“Huh, grandma?” Jongho is the first to recover from the shock. “If she’s your grandmother, then that makes sense why she has been helping us. But err...was she...”

“She was dead.” Hongjoong answers curtly. His painful expression erases from his features and is replaced by a stoic one. “Since I was very young.”
 

“Well, they could be entirely different people.” Yunho said.

“Or the same person. Because her spirit wants to protect her grandson.” Yeosang said.

“Then why did she go to San instead of the captain?” Jongho commented.

The room went quiet once again. Everyone is at their wit end, many questions are left unanswered.

“I don't think Hongjoong’s grandma would write a cheesy fanfic though.” I muttered, but caught the guys’ attention. “I mean the book genre in romance and angst—stuff like that. Why would grandma write about her grandson fighting over a girl with other guys?”

Some of them burst out laughing and immediately shut their mouths as Hongjoong gives them a death glare.

“Or his grandma tried to pick a girl for him. And woah! She chose you!” Wooyoung shrinks, pointing at Hongjoong and me. Hongjoong chuckles, grinning, not sure if he is satisfied or being sarcastic.

Although Wooyoung was being ridiculous, warmth creeps up my face.

Will his grandma snap my neck as I was being unfaithful with her grandson?

Seonghwa sneers. “Stop with the nonsense assumption. Focus on what we can do now, instead of relying on the woman or whoever she is. We’re in deep trouble but she never showed her face.” He said with a serious tone. “We lost the Wonderland map to that witch which left us no choice, we must kill the witch and steal the map back.”

Hongjoong tap his fingers on the table. The risk is high. They’re not the witch opponent, fighting head on will surely resulted in their defeat. Nonetheless, there’s no other solution, whether fighting or fleeing, they’ll likely turning into sea witch’s minions.

Suddenly, he whips his head outside the window, staring into darkness. A scowl forms on his lips.

“What’s wrong captain?” Seonghwa asks wearily. The others also look outside, seeing nothing but ink black sea and night sky.

Hongjoong whirls around with stoic expression. He doesn't answer the quartermaster and talks to me instead. “Star, I believe you’re exhausted by today’s accident. Why don’t you go rest in your cabin? We can take it from here.”

“Right, you should go to sleep in case you’ll foresee a premonition dream.” Seonghwa smirks, his tone dripping with sarcasm.

“Ha! Funny.” I shot a dagger at him.

“Star, go back to your room. Today is a heavy day for you.” Hongjoong gives me a small smile that is hidden with authority. He doesn’t wait for my answer as he shouts for a cabin boy to me back to my room.

The door opens and a worn out looking Jim walks inside. The side of his head has two coral leaves stick out like a horn.

“Make sure to not let anyone bother her.” He ordered Jim while peering at his crew as a hint to not interrupt me.

“Aye captain.” Jim said and waited at the door.

“Am I not needed here anymore?” This is suspicious, why Hongjoong suddenly dismissed me when he was about to make an important decision? I look for my backup, however, he also agrees with his crew.

“Star, you need to rest.” Yeosang patted my head and smiled warmly.

I grimace, trying to protest. However, seeing Hongjoong’s serious face, I halted myself. Thus I sigh and surrender, walking toward Jim. “Well, if you guys have any more questions, then you can summon me anytime.”

They nod and smile at me, except some people who never smile. Something feels off, but as long as they’re not planning to throw me in the water, I shouldn’t act whiny. I shrug it off and exit the room.

Before the door closes, their warm smiles fade and turn stern.

 

---

 

The lamp lights up the small dark room. I curl up on my hard and narrow bed, unable to shut my eyes. Darkness reminds me of the cave. The sea witch and her monsters. The terrifying screams still echoed in my ears. The crew’s monster bodies, their despair gaze haunt me from falling asleep.

I face an empty bed that was once occupied by the honey gazed female lead. A pang of guilt hit me.

If I weren’t being ignorant, I’d notice what’s wrong with Aurora. She’s been giving me signs. The shadow, her warning about the water, the blood ritual, her chest pain whenever she tried to warn me.

I wanna be angry at her for fooling us into nasty circumstances. But my mind told me that she must have a reason. Inside the cave, she refused to kill me and resulted in her being beat up by the witch.

What kind of wish does she make with the sea witch? She looked rather forced. And what’s happening to her now that she refuses to kill me?

Something under her bed reflected the light into my eyes. I step onto the cold floor and saunter toward it. I crouch down and reach my hand under the bed to pick up a small empty bottle.

Then the knocks on my door give me a start, I almost drop the bottle.

“W-Who?” My voice stutters.

“It’s Yeosang.” His sweet voice calms my erratic heartbeat.

I open the door, revealing his comforting presence. Yeosang carries a tray with a cup on it. Smell of herbal tea reaches my nose.

“I have a feeling that you’ll have trouble falling asleep so I made you a cup of tea.”

“Thanks, you’re the best.” I thank him, feeling warm in my chest. “But isn't Hongjoong prohibit anyone from visiting me?”

“I’m a surgeon.” He smiles.

“Yup, surgeon privilege.” I giggle, “Um, come in?”

He nods shyly. I open the door wider for him to step inside. He walks toward my bed and places the tray on my nightstand, and awkwardly stands next to my bed.

“Well, sit?” I climb on my bed and make a room for him to sit beside me. Sitting on my bed, he picks the cup and hands it to me. I sip on the warm tea. The sweetness yet bitterness fills my mouth, it tastes heavenly when compared to the green terror.

Yeosang silently watches me drink his tea. Then his gaze shifts to my hand. “What’s that in your hand?”

“This? I found it under Aurora’s bed.” I observe the little object in my hand. It’s empty but a remaining murky substance stain inside the bottle.

“May I have a look?” He asked.

I give the bottle to Yeosang then he opens the lid and smells the content inside. His blue nose scrunches up and his expression becomes serious.

“It has the same smell as the glowing trees at the witch’s lair.” Yeosang gloomily spoke. His olfactory system senses better once his nose transforms into blue color.

“Argh! I don’t know anymore.” The news threw me into turmoil. I down the tea in one go, not caring if the liquid burns my throat. Was Aurora planning the scheme a long time ago?

“I’ll test its effect. You don’t have to worry about the past. Right now rest and regain your strength.” Yeosang gently says, he picks a cup in my hand and places it on the tray.

“I don’t think I’m able to fall asleep after everything happened.” I sulk, heaving a long sigh. I completely lost direction. Going home is like a distant dream now.

“We’ll help you get back home no matter what it takes.” As if he can read my thoughts, he comforts me by patting my back.

“Thanks, Yeosang. You’re always nice to me.” I smile at him, then pout when recalling they were trying to exclude me from the meeting. “Are they planning to fight the witch?”

“I’m sure Hongjoong will come up with the best plan like he always did. Then again, you don’t have to worry. We’ll protect you.”

“That sounds a bit reassuring. Not that I doubt your capability. It’s just that the other side isn’t human beings.” I speak my mind, pulling my knee up and hugging them.

“Do you forget that we aren’t completely human either?” He chuckles, trying to lift up my mood with his not-so-funny joke. He notices my crestfallen expression when I stare at his blue nose and gills at his neck. He awkwardly clears his throat. “Uh sorry, I guess that makes you uncomfortable. Well, are you ready to sleep?”

He asks once he sees me yawn and gets up from my bed. Feeling a little sleepy, I yawn again and nod. “I’ll sleep and think about everything later. My brain went to sleep since I was inside the bridge.” I lie down and try to lift my eyelids that threaten to shut itself.

Yeosang chuckles and tuck me in bed. I smile, thinking that he acts like a real father. Yeosang turns to blow off the candle but I prevent him. “Leave it on. I don’t think I can sleep in the dark.”

“I’ll stay with you until you fall asleep.” Yeosang sits on a tiny space on my bed and pat my head softly. His touch and his presence dissipate my anxiety and I begin to relax.

“Thank you. You’re really my angel.” I mumble as my consciousness starts to slip away.

 

 

---

 

 

“Was she asleep?” Hongjoong asks once the surgeon steps on the quarterdeck.

“Aye.” Yeosang answered, feeling guilty for giving Star the sedative tea.

Hongjoong nods in return, staring at the sea. In the eyes of humans, it’s just a dark calm sea; however, with his new eyes he can see what is lurking under the waters.

“Then let’s the fight begin.” He grins evilly at the monsters that swarm around the ship.

 

 

---

 

F...follow…

A distant sound rings in my head.

Follow the purple star...’

The voice belongs to a woman, she sounds in haste.

What? I hear myself asking back.

They’re coming...my power can’t hold them any longer.

Who’s coming? What do you mean? Who are you?

‘Wake up!’

 

My body springs up, my back damp with cold sweat, my heart thumps painfully in my chest. In my daze state, I sit still in the darkness of my room.

Then a series of thunderous bombs outside the room scatter my mind, sending me into panic. The ship rocks by its motion. Incoherent shouts of humans and screeching cries that definitely do not belong to the men fill the ship.

I quickly rise to my feet. My legs wobble toward the door. I stop there, listening to the commotion outside and scared of what to see beyond the door.

They’re coming...

The voice echoes in my head.

 

Shaking my head, I pray. Please let it be just a nightmare.

Before I turned the doorknob, I realized something.

 

Oh my god, I just dream!

 

 

:☆*:*☆:*☆:*☆:*☆:*☆:*☆:*☆:*☆

 

Guys this is very important! Please vote Ateez on SMA! If they receive Bonsang, I promise I'll update twice a week (✧ω✧)