Chapter 38 - Who’s gonna carry her?

Star Illusion | ATEEZ Pirate AU

[Warning: loooong chapter ahead]

 

The spacious quarter room becomes suffocating when more than 20 grown men are cramped inside the room. To make it worse, angry shouts are throwing everywhere.

Captain of the notorious Pirate King’s Revenge sits at the head of the large table, surrounded by his crew. Instead of paying attention to their argument, he casually sips on his brandy.

Hongjoong called for another meeting that evening to find a recovery plan for the quest to Wonderland. At the beginning of the meeting, he declared to stop attacking merchant vessels until reaching Wonderland, as his expectation, the crew went uproar. Seonghwa was the first one to reject his idea. But once he announced the calamity prediction from the seeress, they were thunderstruck and later accepted his order.

That was how it led to the current argument. The food supplies can last long for 3 weeks. However, the repairing will take 2 weeks. How are they going to feed over 100 men and find food before it runs out?

 

Hongjoong takes another sip and glances at Seonghwa who sits at his right side. Although Seonghwa participates in voicing out opinion, he strangely remains quiet most of the time.

“What’s wrong with you?” Hongjoong whispers to him.

Seonghwa diverts his gaze to Hongjoong. “What?”

“You seem off.” Hongjoong noticed the bizarre expression displaying on Seonghwa’s face since he entered the quarter room. But he didn’t have a chance to ask until now.

Seonghwa’s face twists. He stayed silent for a moment and decided to speak to Hongjoong. “Whatever the seer’s going to tell you, don’t listen to her.”

Hongjoong detects seriousness from his quartermaster and can’t help but wonder what Star told him. Is it another prediction?

 

Then Seonghwa realizes that perhaps Star already told Hongjoong. He snorted with disdain as he saw how Hongjoong changed from drinking wine to brandy because he said wine affected his brain. 

Remind him again how this guy became his captain.

 

Hongjoong spots Seonghwa's instant change of expression, he understands right away that it must be about the same prediction he received earlier. Hongjoong chuckles lightly, “How was her prediction?”

“Nonsense.” Seonghwa scoffs and curls his lips in disgust.

Hongjoong shook his head. He never witnessed his quartermaster take an interest in any women. If Seonghwa found a lover, the world would come to an end.

“She told me too.” Another voice rises from Seonghwa’s back. Hongjoong and Seonghwa crane their necks to see the surgeon wearing a bashful expression.

“Um, about the future...” Yeosang coughs awkwardly, “Love life...”

Both Hongjoong and Seonghwa snort at the same time. The three exchange glances but none utter a word. They don’t have a good feeling about this prediction.

“Did I miss something?” The first mate, who is tired of hearing the crew barking at one another, joins the conversation.

The question makes the three react awkwardly. Wooyoung smirks teasingly. Something fishy is going on.

Hongjoong frowns at Wooyoung, “Aren’t you supposed to be in your station?” He recalls his order for Wooyoung to be on watch.

“San changed with me.” Wooyoung coolly replied although he was the one that requested San.

“You lazy . Don’t lie to me. Do you still want to keep your first mate title? Go get him now!” Hongjoong knows Wooyoung’s trick. This guy often abandons his station and lets other people fill in for him.

“Aye captain!” Wooyoung shouts and salutes Hongjoong. He immediately bolts out of the room to retrieve San.

Hongjoong sighs. Can’t he find any normal crew on his ship?

“Are you leaving them to argue?” Seonghwa asks, scanning at the crew in a heated quarrel.

“Let them blow off the steam. We have all night.” Hongjoong replied. His crew are all stressed so it’s better to let them wrench out anger.

Wait a moment, he doesn’t have all night. He plans to visit Star. He has to hurry up and end this meeting.

His mouth slowly creeps into grins.

Before Hongjoong calls attention from his crew, someone does it for him.

“Shut up you idiots! Did you lot lose your brains to the kraken?! Listen to captain!” Red face Mingi slams his fist into the table, clearly in pure rage.

Everyone stops bickering and turns to their captain at the head of the table. They all pale when they see hongjoong grinning evilly.

---

Wooyoung unhurriedly walks toward the mainmast where San is stationed on the crow’s nest. His eyes spot a female silhouette at a rail. Her petite figure slightly trembles from the chilly night wind while gazing into the darkness of the sea.

Wooyoung smirks and saunters toward her. When he gets closer, he hears her furiously mumbling something.

“Who are you talking to?” Wooyoung surprises her from behind.

Aurora screams and almost falls down to the ground.

“Whoa, I know I’m handsome but no need to scream into my face.” Wooyoung runs his hand through his hair. He doesn’t taunt her further as he hears her sniff. Trails of tears on her small face and her body shaking.

“You okay?” Wooyoung became speechless. Was he really that scary?

Aurora glares at him, instantly walking away.

Wooyoung is indeed confused but shrugs, there’re many beautiful girls who want him anyway. That Aurora girl, it’s her loss, not his.

Somehow his mood is spoiled. He clicks his tongue in annoyance. He stares into the darkness of the night, at that moment he notices a ripple of water near their ship.

Wooyoung furrows his brows. What is that?

He grabs a nearby torch and throws it into the water. His eyes follow the light when it falls into the water, the fire immediately extinguishes when it makes contact with water. His heart beat fast in anticipation. Hopefully, it’s not the Kraken.

He waits for a moment but nothing comes out of the water, he’s able to breathe again.

Then Wooyoung calls a random passing man. “Hey mate, go get San on the crow’s nest and take a watch tonight.” The man heard the combatant's name and reluctantly followed Wooyoung's order.

“What are you waiting for? Go!” Wooyoung scolds the poor guy.

 

---

 

Aurora softly closed the door of the shared cabin with Star. The room lit up by a single lamp from Star’s nightstand. She blankly stared at a sleeping figure and then outside the window.

Her breath hitch in , she quickly averted her gaze back to the sleeping girl. Aurora bit her lower lip hard, it almost bled. She shook her head and a single tear rolled down her cheek.

 

---

 

Wooyoung and San enter the gravely silent quarter room. Wooyoung walks to sit at his seat while San gets to his usual spot at the window sill. They see the grinning Hongjoong and understand right away. Captain abuses his power again.

“Jongho, can we reduce the repairing time?” Hongjoong asks the boatswain.

“I’m afraid-”

“Make it 1 week.” Hongjoong cut poor Jongho off, making the guy and his team sweat profusely. How are they going to finish fixing the ship within one week? They gotta work all day and night.

“You know the risk. We can’t stay out here too long.” Hongjoong gives them reason and it is true, they can’t linger on the unknown island and be targeted by their enemies.

“Aye, captain.” Jongho sighs inwardly. He knows the motto, What Hongjoong wants, Hongjoong gets.

“Captain, what're we going to do about the food if we don’t prey on merchants?” Mingi asks.

“We can attack pirates. Those aren’t innocent souls.” Hongjoong casually answers. The crew nod their heads at their captain’s wickedness. Star’s prediction is to not harm innocent people but pirates are definitely not one.

“Or we can make a quick visit at the nearest port.” Yunho suggests his idea.

Hongjoong nods. “Nassau.”

“But captain, it’s too risky. The other pirates are banding against us. They’re coming for the map.” A crew protests.

“Are you scared of those bilge rats?” Mingi scowls. “ And do you forget Nassau is our territory?” The Revenge has a good connection with the Nassau governor. No one dares to create ruckus at Nassau since the punishment is severe.

“But they can betray us.” The flip side of being in immoral business, every single individual is deceitful. If conflicts in profit arise, they don’t hesitate to betray each other.

The room falls into silence as they try to figure out the best solution.

“Alright,” Hongjoong speaks up. “After we finish repairing the ship, we’ll head to Nassau. That’s it for today. You guys are dismissed.” He instantly concludes, making the crew confused. The long meeting came to an end just like that. And no one is brave enough to object his decision.

“Yunho how long until we reach the island?” Hongjoong asks the navigator.

“Around 1 hour sir.” Yunho response.

“Scavenger team get ready.” He’ll send out a scavenger team to survey the area before settling.

Seonghwa nods and gets up from his seat, heading outside the room.

San pushes himself from the window sill, following Seonghwa.

“San, you’re not going.” Hongjoong interrupts the combatant. He may act normal but his injury isn’t light. Hongjoong notices how he walks rigidly.

But San being San, he doesn't listen to Hongjoong and keeps walking.

“San, if you step out of this room, I’ll throw all of your weapons away.” However, Seonghwa turns around, facing San.

The crew, who still remain inside the room, watch the two devils fighting with their intense gaze. 

“I’ll go.” Wooyoung intervenes, patting his friend back and joining Seonghwa. The scavenger team exit the room, leaving San standing like a statue at the door. The occupants who intend to leave the room are afraid to call him as he blocks the exit. Luckily, the surgeon drags him in another way.

“How is your bruise? Still in pain?” Yeosang asks San but the latter guy smirks at him in response.

“I’m fine.” San says and advances outside the room.

“So stubborn.” Yeosang sighs. San is his least favorite patient as he always gets ignored. Well, at least San doesn’t criticize his medicine like his favorite patient.

Hongjoong gets up from his seat, heading outside the room as well. The others are also in a hurry to exit the room.

Yeosang clears his throat,“If you guys plan to visit Star, then don’t. Let her rest.”

They abruptly stop in their tracks but one of them is still walking. “Including you too, captain.”

Hongjoong turns around, grinning innocently at Yeosang. “I’m just taking a night walk.”

“Sure Sure,” No one believes him.

---

 

So noisy.

I woke up from the commotion outside my cabin.

Soft yellow light enters my eyes, it’s still early morning. I yawn and groan at people who disturb my beauty sleep.

Aurora also wakes up. She rubs her eyes and slowly rises to her feet.

“What’s happening outside?” I crane my neck to her.

Aurora shook her head. I notice dark circles below her eyes. Wow, even our gorgeous protagonist also has this moment.

Suddenly, a loud angry shout startles us, the bickering immediately dies down. Then someone softly knocks on our door.

“Come in.” I say with a morning hoarse voice.

The surgeon enters the room, greeting me with his bright smile. “How’s my angel doing?” He proceeds to sit on a stool next to my bed.

I gawk at how he makes my heartbeat pick up its pace in the early morning. I haven’t answered him yet when someone chimes in.

“Eww Yeosang you have the worst pick up line.” Wooyoung came in next. He looks especially good with a black bandanna tied on his forehead.

Yeosang glares at him but Wooyoung pays him no attention as he sits on my bed again.

“Shooting Star! These guys prevent me from seeing you.” Mingi enters the room, blowing up everyone’s eardrum with his loudness.

“You’re being too loud” Yunho scolds, walking behind Mingi.

“Yunho, don’t waste energy on him.” Jongho, who comes in last, comments. He leans against the door, folding his arms.

“You guys wanna fight me!” Mingi shouts, making others snickers. Then they begin bickering again.

Why are they here?

Although it’s a dream come true that Ateez wake me up in the morning but now I feel dizzy from the noise.

“All of you shut up!” Yeosang yells, “Can’t you see Star is uncomfortable.” They quickly shut their mouths and give me an apologetic look.

Yeosang’s scowl then changes to a soft expression when he turns to talk to me. “We reached an island. We’re moving to stay on the island for a week.”

“Okay, so we’re going now?” I ask. Living on the island is going to be a fun episode. I think sarcastically. Something gonna cause me trouble, I feel it in my vein.

“Yes.” He helps me sit up. “Can you walk?”

“I guess.” As soon as I stand up, I wince painfully and drop to my bed.

“I don’t think she can walk.” Yeosang says. “So who's gonna carry her?”

I blink at Yeosang because of his question. One of them is gonna carry me. A tiny part of my brain celebrates. Perhaps being sick is not that bad. I subtly scan the boys but none meet my eyes, I guess no one wants to carry a side character.

“Me! I’m her best friend.” Mingi volunteers, striding next to my bed. I look at him thankfully, at the same time, biting my lips from squealing. He crouches down, reaching his arms but he froze as if he’s cursed by the ice queen.

“Err...” He looks at me and avert his eyes elsewhere. Red blooms on his face.

“Mingi if you’re shy, let others carry her.” Wooyoung snickers when he spots his friend blushing.

Mingi straightens his back. “I’m not shy! I’m just...”

“I’ll carry her.” Yunho walks up and pushes Mingi away but is stopped by Wooyoung. “Aren’t you supposed to be with captain? He’s finding you.”

“Oh.” Red creeps onto his ears as he’s exposed for sneaking to visit the girl. “See you later. Take care.” He flashes me a smile and leaves the room.

I nod at him perplexingly. What just happened?

When no one pays attention, Jongho quietly walks to me.

“Jongho, you need to lead your team to start fixing the ship. You only have 1 week.” Of course, his move was detected by the sharp-eyed first mate. Jongho halts in his tracks and glares at Wooyoung which he returns with an annoying smirk.

“See you around.” Jongho says, also leaving the room.

“It’s fine. I’ll carry her.” Yeosang shakes his head at his mates.

“No, our surgeon needs to take care of other patients. Leave her to me.” Wooyoung mentions.

“I don’t trust her with you two.” Yeosang speaks directly to Wooyoung and Mingi.

“I don’t trust her with you either.” Wooyoung chuckles but his eyes squint at Yeosang.

What’s this tension? I can see electricity flying out of their eyes.

“Guys, it’s okay. If I can’t walk, I’ll crawl.” I break the silence.

“Not funny.” The three say in unison. I slump into my bed, sulking.

 

Finally, Yeosang sighs, “Fine.”

Wooyoung smirks and gets up. He confidently lifts me up in bridal style. My urge to fangirl immediately dies down as soon as he wink playfully at me. I don’t think he’s gonna take me to the island safely.

“You there,” He turns to Aurora who has been quiet since the beginning. “Don’t be jealous. I’ll carry you next time.” Wooyoung doesn’t forget to wink at her. She returns him with a disgusted look.

“Miss, Aurora, please collect your belongings and Star’s and follow them.” Yeosang says to her. Aurora nods to Yeosang.

Wooyoung doesn’t wait for others as he immediately leave the room.

“You’re heavier than you look.” As Wooyoung carries me outside the room, his mouth starts babbling.

“Rude.” I roll my eyes at him. “Whatever, don’t drop me.”

“What if I did?” He challenges me.

“Yeosang gonna kill you.”

Wooyoung laughs. “I’m not scare of Yeosang.”

“I’m going to report to Hongjoong.”

“Tsk, you call him Hongjoong now. Well, I’m not scared of tiny guy.” He snorts. I scrunch my face at him when he isn't afraid of the tiny Hongjoong’s wrath.

“I’m telling Seonghwa.” I borrow the quartermaster's name as he’s probably intimidating in Wooyoung’s eyes.

“He would be the happiest person if I dropped you.”

Danm, Wooyoung. You’re right.

“I’m telling San that you kicked his beloved dagger.”

This time his eyes go wide in panic. “No, you don’t.”

“Yes, I will.” I smile triumphantly.

Wooyoung sees me grinning and he mutters. “You little devil.”

“Why are you so scared of him? He’s your best friend.” I ask him.

“I’m not scared of him. But sometimes I feel like he plots murder against me.” Wooyoung grimaces, recalling the way San glares at him when he teases San. I laugh at his reaction and then he laughs along.

Suddenly, Wooyoung stops walking, staring ahead of him. His Adam's apple bob as he gulps down saliva.

I follow his eyesight and my jaw drops when I see the real devil in our path.

“Shooting Star! you forgot San’s dagger.” The clueless Mingi sprints from behind, waving the devil’s dagger in his hand.

Mingi stops next to us and notices the dagger owner who exudes a dark aura not far away.

“Ugh,” He immediately shoves the dagger into my hand and he disappears in milliseconds. Is this the same guy that calls me best friend?

I avert my gaze to Wooyoung whose face already turns pale. “Hey mate. Whatever you heard, you heard it wrong. I never ever kicked your dagger.”

San strides closer toward our way.

‘Run’ I mouth at Wooyoung. But he seems to be frozen in the spot.

“Run.” I repeat. But it’s too late as San already stood in front of us.

‘Good luck’ Wooyoung mouths back at me. He quickly passes me to San and sprints away faster than a cheetah.

My mouth hangs open. That traitor!!!! How dare he leave me with the devil. When I told him to run, I meant to take me with him.

Now what?

I lie shakily in San’s embrace, crushing his dagger against my chest while the other arm hangs in the air as I’m afraid to circle around his shoulder.

San peers at me. A corner of his mouth lifts up.

“Hehe,” I smile stiffly at him in return even though I wail inside.

Someone help me! My face begins changing to green since I’m afraid to breathe too loud.

He stands there without moving, staring at me intently. The corners of my eyes see other crew glimpse at us interestingly.

“Um, the guys tell me to stay on the island. I can’t walk so can you help carry me...” I haven’t finished my sentence as he starts walking.

The atmosphere is severely awkward, I need to make small talk.

“Thank you for saving me.” I glance at him to see any reaction but he goes back to wearing his blank expression. “You always saved me. I’m really grateful for what you did.”

“Umm,” He hums in response.

I got goosebumps when he answered me.

“Is your back okay? That squid smashed onto your back. It must be really hurtful. Are you really fine carrying me? I can walk, uh,” I stop talking when noticing he frowns.

“San, what are you doing?” A new voice calls San, tone drips with anger.

“Why are you carrying her? You’re injured.” The devil twin of San glares at me, gesturing to pass me to him.

No, don’t give me to that devil. I signal San through my eyes.

San glances between the devil and me, his mouth curves into smirk. He steps closer to Seonghwa.

I quickly mouth at him ‘No!’

Both San and Seonghwa are intimidating but at least San saved me multiple times so he won’t harm me. But who knows what Seonghwa thinks? He might throw me into the sea.

Seonghwa extends his arm to carry the girl in San’s embrace, however, San abruptly turns on his heel, sauntering another way, leaving Seonghwa standing dumbfounded in the spot.

He snorts, watching as San carries Star away. Lately San’s stubbornness has reached a whole new level. Seonghwa can’t keep up with him anymore. And what happened to his crew, why are they all defending her?

 

“Woahh, that was so suspenseful. I thought you’d betrayed me like Wooyoung did.” I sigh in relieved and groan as my stomach unconsciously tense up.

“You’re in pain.” San surprisingly says with his raspy tone.

My mind was blown for the second time. I nod and then shake my head, and nod again. I must look so stupid that he starts to smirk.

He looks so good when he doesn’t put on a blank facade. Sadly, I never saw him smile genuinely once. I observe his close up face and regret my decision as San’s black orbs stare back at me. Smile almost breaks on my face but I dig my nails into my skin to control myself.

Wait, that’s not my skin. I wheeze as I noticed my arm that used to hang in the air already hugged his broad shoulder. And I dig my nails in his back.

“Sorry!” I quickly detach my hand. I don’t have to see a mirror to know that my whole face is burning deep red.

Instead of tossing me to the ground, a low chuckle escaped his lips.

I shut my eyes tightly in embarrassment. But his chuckles get louder.

I pull my hair to cover my face and pretend to pass out.

Damn heart stops beating too loud, he’ll hear you.

All the way to the island, his chuckles ringing in my ears.

 

 

 

// Someone gotta stop me from sailing too many ships at the same time. I have to remind myself that this book will have only 1 male lead. 

So vote for you boys ((((;゚Д゚)))