Chapter 46 - Steering wheel

Star Illusion | ATEEZ Pirate AU

 

The next morning, I was requested to meet Hongjoong at the quarterdeck. I’m not ready to see him after yesterday’s incident. The jittery feeling wouldn’t go away and it gets worse when I’m about to see him again. My guard shattered to pieces after he proposed to me to stay with him. But it’s impossible to stay in fiction. One day I’ll have to return to the real world although my reality kinda .

Let’s not get attached to any of them and go home in peace (and in one piece).

I chant in my head and leave the room to face the man who swayed my original plan.

 

Walking soullessly, I emerge from the lower deck and startle when my name was called.

“Shooting Star!/ Little Star!/ Polaris!” The fiery red haired, faded purple haired, and light blue haired boys stride toward me. Each of them shoot a distaste look at one another.

“I called her first. You lots back off.” Mingi places his arm on my shoulder, glaring at his two crewmates.

“Mingi you got work to do. Shoo shoo, go away.” Wooyoung yanks Mingi's arm away from my shoulder and replaces it with his arm. Mingi stumbles backward and whines. “Yah! you have work too.”

Wooyoung ignores Mingi and wink at me with his left eye. That’s when I notice an ugly purple bruise painted on his right eye.

“Who punched you?” I ask him. One person appears on my mind. Perhaps I'll thank him later for taking revenge for me.

A dry chuckle leaves Wooyoung’s lips that stretch into a disdainful smile. He hasn’t answered me as Mingi answers for him.

“There’re many crew members who want to punch him. Anyway it kinda matches his hair color.” Mingi laughs in Wooyoung’s face while trying to pry Wooyoung’s arm away from me.

“Seems like you wanna have a wound to match your hair color too.” Wooyoung scoffs, letting me go and crack his knuckles while facing the taller mate.

Before they proceed to brawl, the annoying duo suddenly yell when the navigator pulls them away by their ears.

“You two are so rude.” Yunho scolds the duo who shoot him a dirty glare while rubbing their painful ears. “Apologize for their behavior, milady” He smiles apologetically at me. I shake my head in return as I’m getting used to their antics.

“Polaris, where are you going?” Yunho asks.

“Polaris?” Wooyoung and Mingi mumble, scrunching their noses.

“Got a problem, you two go back to your stations or I’ll report captain.” A playful puppy turns into a vicious Pitbull, bearing fangs at his crewmate. But the duo don’t get intimidated by him at all as they stand still. Yunho shakes his head at them and turns to me, wearing a puppy expression once again.

“Hongjoong summons me.” I answer Yunho. The trio have different expressions plaster on their faces.

“You three get lost!” Suddenly a yell pierce through the air from above our head. We crane our necks to see Hongjoong wearing a deep scowl at the steering wheel.

“Aye captain!” They shout in unison. Mingi waves while Wooyoung wink at me before they depart. Yunho walks beside me, climbing the stairs toward the quarterdeck.

When we reach the platform, we spot the sour expression Hongjoong. He side glance Yunho. The taller guy takes the hint and sulkily walks away. Then Hongjoong beckons me to come closer to him. 

Standing still, I stare warily at him. He wears a loose black shirt and leather pants which perfectly suit him. His mullet sway in the wind which I want to run my hand through-

Woah, stop!

Star, you can’t fall for his charming trap. You’re going home. Home!! I keep chanting to stay in clear mind.

“Stand here.” Hongjoong step aside from behind the wheel.

“Are you allowing me to helm the ship?” I ask him in wonder.

He grins and nods which have me exclaim in excitement. “Really?!” I can’t believe he allows me to helm his beloved ship. Forget about not getting attached, I’m about to helm the Revenge. I step forward and my hands extend to grab the wheel, but a cold voice makes me stop in mid-action.

“Hongjoong, if you let her touch the wheel, I’ll personally lead the mutiny.” Seonghwa's harsh tone cuts into our conversation as he strides from behind and stops next to Hongjoong’s side.

Hongjoong scoffs, “Don’t even dream about it.”

The air turns intense as they glare at each other. I, who lost in the middle of the ongoing war, decide to break their glaring battle by grabbing the handle.

“Oops! Seonghwa, I already touched it.” I chirp.

Seonghwa’s gaze shot toward me. “She’s gonna sink our ship.” He speaks to Hongjoong but his eyes remain attached to me.

“Hey, I have experience.” I protest. Even though I’m scared of him, I won’t let him crush my dream to steer the Revenge.

“You used to helm the ship?” Hongjoong asks, sounding impress.

“No, but I can drive-” I pause, thinking whether this period has a car yet. “I can ride a bicycle.” I change sentences at the last second.

Their expressions are priceless. A fist of giggles could be heard from behind us. Yunho clasps his hand over his mouth from laughing too loud.

“And you call that an experience?” Seonghwa scoffs, rolling his eyes in the process.

“Well, they’re vehicles.” I scratch my neck in embarrassment for sounding dumb. This time Yunho hollers in laughter, his ears turn red. Hongjoong has a small smile on his face. On the other hand, Seonghwa’s face turns shade darker. “You-” He was cut off by Hongjoong before he was able to retort me.

“Alright, you two get lost.” Hongjoong shoo Seonghwa and Yunho. Seonghwa snorts for the last time and turns on his heel. They disappear inside the bridge. Now I’m left alone with Hongjoong. Hopefully, he won’t do anything strange to me since we’re in the open area.

“Come here.” He calls me in a soft tone. Stepping to stand behind the wheel, I grab the handles with both hands. Staring seaward, my heart hammers in thrill. The majestic flagship rides on the waves, sailing forward. The salty sea breeze blows onto my face. From this angle, I can see the crew work diligently on the below deck and up on the rigging and masts. Giggles leave my lips as I imagine being the fiercest pirate queen of the seven seas.

“You seem to be very happy.” Hongjoong shifts behind me. Then he places his hand on mine. His chest presses into my back, causing my giggle to cease.

The crew halt their tasks, all eyes focus on us. My excitement is lost and replaced by mortification.

“C-Can you step behind a bit?” I stammer, heat rises to my cheek.

“Why? This way I can teach you better.” He leans closer and whispers to my ear.

My mouth hangs open and my body turns rigid. His boldness is gonna be the death of me. I thought he wouldn’t touch me in an open area. I was so wrong!

He disregards my complaint and begins explaining how the helm works. However, the pounding sound of my erratic heartbeat blocks his voice. So whatever he teaches me passes from my left to right ears, not entering my brain at all.

“When you turn the wheel to Starboard, the rudder will turn the stern to port causing the bow to turn to starboard….Do you even listen to me?” After a long explanation, Hongjoong notices that Star has become quiet, he cranes his neck to see her side profile. She blankly stares forward as if her soul has left her body.

Hongjoong chuckles and pinches her cheek.

 

From the crow’s nest, Wooyoung uses spyglass to observe the couple at the helm.

“Dang, he moves fast.” He clicks his tongue. Hongjoong never pays attention to any women, well, not that he’s not interested in them, more like he rather invests in fame, affluence, and revenge.

Poor little Star, if she falls in love with his merciless captain, he doesn’t know whether to congratulate her or pity her.

Then he shifts spyglass to see the combatant on the poop deck who’s sharpening his daggers but his gaze focuses on the couple below him.

“Tsk Tsk, poor mate.” San’s fast at chopping people but he’s so slow in this aspect. He attempted to teach the emotionless mate good stuff but the result...Wooyoung’s bruised right eye twists painfully.

 

 

From the forecastle, a thunderous roar interrupts the calm atmosphere.

“Captain stole my friend! I’ma be the next captain and steal Star back!” Mingi cries and receives a smack behind his head from a younger man.

“Idiot. Go back to your gun deck.” Jongho rolls his eyes in annoyance. He peers at the 2 figures at the quarterdeck and frowns. Then he shakes his head and starts climbing on the shrouds, leaving Mingi sulking alone.

 

 

Inside the bridge, Yunho stares outside the window and is stunned at the scene.

“Captain likes Polaris?” His voice came out like a whisper but Seonghwa could hear him.

“Polaris?” Seonghwa mutters with a disgust in his tone. “Not you too, Yunho.” Placing a log book on the table, he walks toward Yunho. “Your captain is bewitched by that girl.” Seonghwa crosses his arms while staring outside at the disturbing scene.

 

---

 

After Hongjoong pinch my cheek, my soul travels back to my body. I in deep breath to continue listening to his starboard, port side, the wind, the sail, blah blah blah. I only turn the wheel according to his instruction. Finally, he stopped his lecture that I didn't pay attention to.

“Steady.” He tells me before letting go of my hands and steps away. The warmth from his body disappears and I feel somewhat lost. But not a moment after, he circles his arm around my waist, hugging me from behind. The emergency alarm went off in my head.

Mission abort! Retreat!

“Do you like it?” He whispers into my ears.

“Why? You’ll give the Revenge to me?” Although I joke with him, I die on the inside. The entire crew are looking at us for Pete's sake. Stop doing this to me!

He chuckles. “No, I mean, do you like the way I hold you?” Then I feel his lips brush against the tip of my left ear.

Like an electric shock shot through my body, I spontaneously jerks away from him. I trip on my own legs, which results in me accidentally turning the wheel.

The ship violently lurch from the wheel motion, making the crew scream in unison, most of them fall and roll on the ground.

I also scream, losing my balance. Fortunately, Hongjoong’s fast reflex steady me in place. His right arm encircles around my waist while his left arm grabs on the wheel. He turns to look at me with regret in his eyes.

“Sorry.” I return him with an apologetic look. But it wasn’t entirely my fault. He surprised me with that little mouth of his.

“You!!!” A door of the bridge abruptly slam opens, Seonghwa storms outside, his hand rests on an invisible red bump on his head. His rage radiates like a hurricane ready to me to the bottom of the ocean.

I’m so dead. Even Hongjoong can’t rescue me.

 

From that day onward, Star is prohibited to touch the helm or get near it at least 5 meters away.

 

---

 

“AHAHAHA!! Seonghwa hit his head!” The kitchen fills with Mingi thunderous laughter when he listens to the story from Yunho.

“Aye but I also hit the window.” Yunho rubs his red nose. He spied on Hongjoong and Star when the girl suddenly turned the wheel, making his face slam into the window.

“I fell from the shroud to my .” Jongho grimaces while patting on his throbbing . Luckily, he hadn’t gone too high or he’ll end up with broken bones.

“Tsk, I almost threw out of the crow’s nest but because of my good reflex I manage to survive.” Wooyoung says through grit teeth but doesn’t forget to bluff himself.

“And him?” Mingi asks for the quiet guy who’s the main reason why the other crewmates flee from the kitchen. San, sitting at the corner, exudes a darker aura than usual.

“His dagger flew out of his grasp and fell into the water.” Wooyoung answers in San’s place. He spied on San with his spyglass so he saw the scene.

The others want to laugh but decide not to as they don’t want to trigger the devil.

“So tired.” A new voice chimes in, the surgeon drags his feet into the kitchen, looking exhausted. “There’re many patients treating small injuries.”

They all look at Yeosang sympathetically.

“What was Hongjoong thinking? Letting Star steer the ship. She was going to kill us all.” Mingi doesn't want to admit that he is jealous of Star. Hongjoong never allows anyone to helm the ship, apart from Seonghwa and helmsmen. But he let her helm the Revenge. What about him?!

“He’s trying to make her happy.” Jongho states his opinion, drawing attention from the others. “She’s the seeress, a beautiful woman at that. Her power can be an advantage for us. He probably has a plan after Wonderland.” As expected from the brain of the group, the others nod in acknowledgement.

“And he likes her.” Wooyoung adds.

The whole table falls silent as everyone lost in deep thought.

“I won’t let him take advantage of Star.” Yeosang is the first one to speak.

“I won’t let him steal my bestfriend.” Mingi shouts with full determination.

“If she wants to go home, then I’ll help her.” Jongho follows.

“I won’t let Star fall into his trap” Yunho comments, reminiscing over a 50 years contract.

“And I’ll introduce her to a better guy.” Wooyoung adds, earning glare from the whole table. Wooyoung ignores them and peers at his mate. He smirks when he spots a swirl of emotion inside San’s lifeless eyes.

 

A cabin boy strolls into the kitchen, catching their attention.

“Sir, please prepare 2 set of dinner for the captain. He said to cook only the best recipes. I’ll take it once the sun sets.” Jim requests the cook.

“Hey Jim, aside from captain, who is the food for?” Wooyoung asks curiously.

“Captain will invite Miss Star for dinner.” Jim answers honestly, without him knowing that he made a grave mistake.

Once Jim left the room, the guys exchanged glances and a sly smirk revealed on their faces.

 

---

 

The whole day I locked myself in the cabin after committing a deadly crime. I’m relieved that none of the crew barged inside my room to strangle me. Unfortunately, Seonghwa has another reason to hate my gut. He chided me until my ears bled. But Hongjoong intervened and ordered Jim to me back to my cabin.

Touching my ear, the feeling of his lips brings hotness to my face. It was all his fault that I almost sank the ship. He was too bold, he hugged me in front of the entire crew. Was it his motive to allow me to steer the ship and harass me?!

Lying on my bed, I kick my legs in the air in frustration. Then remember that I’m not alone in the room. I crane my neck to see Aurora reading a book on her bed, not paying attention to me.

“Aurora, aren’t you bored?” I always see her reading that book and lock herself inside the room. She raises her head and smiles then resumes her reading.

Sighing, I lie back down. Aurora and I haven't had a decent conversation since yesterday night. Today she looks normal as if yesterday's conversation never happened. I’m afraid to bring the topic back up and ruin her mood.

A knock at our door catches our attention. I get off bed and open it to see Jack holding a food tray.

“Miss Star, captain invites you to his quarter room. Please leave now.” Jack blandly relays his message and quickly turns to Aurora. “Miss Aurora, here is your food.” Jack slightly twists his body in a shy manner.

“Thanks.” Aurora smiles at the boy.

“May I you while Miss Star is absent?” He boldly asks her.

“Yes.” She answers. Jack almost jumps in the air, skipping past me into the room.

My face twists at their interaction. Jack is the only crew that Aurora is close to. Well, I’m glad that she has another friend. Still this kid’s attitude gets on my nerves.

 

---

 

I stop in front of the quarter room but hesitate to go inside. The loud noise emerges from the quarter room belonging to the members. Slightly open the door, I peek my head inside and witness a wild commotion.

“Yahhh!! What are you guys doing here!?” Hongjoong yells, trying to wiggle himself out of the first mate’s grasp at the head of the long table.

“Captain, I wanna eat dinner with you.” Wooyoung cooed, massaging Hongjoong’s shoulders vigorously. Meanwhile Yunho and Mingi are busily chucking food on the table in their faces.

“Captain, I”ll eat dinner with you from now on!” Mingi shouts with food full in his mouth.

“Me too! Me too!” Yunho chimes in.

Yeosang, Jongho, and Seonghwa sit quietly next to each other, staring at Hongjoong with an unamused look. San sits at the window sill, playing with a small dagger in his hand. He is the first person to notice my presence. His smirk spreads across his face, raising his dagger and pointing my way.

I startle at his action and slam the door shut, sprinting back to my room.

“Star!” Hongjoong shouts when he spots her at the door. But it’s too late because she’s gone.

“Oh, shooting Star came?” Mingi mutters, placing a fork on the table. The plates in front of him are wiped clean.

“She left.” Yeosang answers him and stands up, heading to the door and exiting the room. After hearing that Star has left, the others acknowledge their accomplishment and pile out of the room, leaving Hongjoong sitting dumbfounded.

Not long after that, the quarter room is thick with smoke coming out of the notorious captain’s ears.

“These damn pests.” Hongjoong grits his teeth.

 

---

 

The next morning, Hongjoong requests me to his quarter room again. I can smell trouble coming my way. Because yesterday I ditched the dinner with him as I chickened out at the last second.

The room is quiet unlike yesterday’s evening. Entering, I spot him sitting on his beloved red velvet couch. Hongjoong places a wine glass on a table once he recognizes me. Small smirk spreads on his lips. He eyes me from the entrance until I stop a few steps away from him.

“Sit.” He orders.

I nod and sit on the opposite sofa from him.

“Here.” He gazes at the space next to him.

I gulp nervously. It’s too dangerous to sit on the same couch with him. He’s 100% going to do something strange.

“Star.” His eyes glower when I don’t follow his order. I sigh and head toward him.

My barely touch the seat when Hongjoong scoot right next to me. He pulls me into his embrace, his arm wraps around my shoulder. My breath hitch, sitting straight like a statue.

“If you do something weird, I’ll sink your ship.” I threaten him once I regain consciousness.

“You almost did.” He chuckles, but doesn’t loosen his grip on me. “Too bad. Seonghwa won’t let you off this time.”

“It was your fault. Why do I have to be the one that was fully blamed?” I protest. If he didn’t brush his lips against my ear, none of this would happen, and Seonghwa wouldn’t come after my .

“So I said I took all the blame.”

Hongjoong’s respond cause me to stare at him in disbelief.

“He vented at me for 3 hours straight. Plus, there were 6 annoying crew joining him. My captain’s pride was hurt.” He sighs. “So don’t you think you need to pay for your portion?” His eyes sparkle and I know something is coming.

The arm that wraps around my shoulder lower down to my waist while the other hand cups the side of my face.

“Are you going to punish me again?” I ask warily.

“Maybe.” Hoongjoong mischievously chuckles.

My heart picks up its pace when he leans his face closer and says in a raspy tone. “Ready for your punishment.”

I shake my head fervently. Coming here is a bad idea, I know it!

“Then I’ll tell Seonghwa to personally handle your punishment. He said he’ll give you 5 punishment.”

“No way!” I yell. 5 punishment that's ridiculous. I'd die ungracefully at the first punishment. 

“So...” Sly grin spread across his face. “I’ll do it my way then. ”

I don’t have time to prepare what’s coming next as he draws closer.

 

“One,” He says as he presses his lips against my forehead. The light touch is enough for me to stop breathing.

“Two,” He doesn’t wait for me to take a break as he lowers down to kiss my nose. I blink rapidly, don’t know whether to push him away or not.

“Three,” His lips found its way to my right cheek. My body completely lost its strength and my guard shattered once again.

“Four,” He kisses my left cheek. My heart flutters at the soft touch.

“Five.” He pauses the action, staring at my lips then meets my eyes as if to ask for permission.

My eyes flutter close. His hand gently places at the back of my neck and he leans in.

 

His warm lips press on mine. It starts off soft and tender. The taste of bittersweet wine from his lips intoxicates my mind. My heart does strange flips, it sends shivers all over my body. Throwing away my conscious, my judgement, my logic, I kiss him back and feel him smile through the kiss. Pulling me closer, he deepens the kiss and it turns into passionate, burning my whole body and all senses.

When we run out of breath, he reluctantly pulls away. I pant heavily and my heart pounds like I ran a mile. Opening my eyes, I meet with his gleaming hazel orbs. My heart melts at the sight.

“As sweet as I thought.” He smiles genuinely for the first time. His hand caresses on my cheek gently.

In daze, I’m rendered speechless. My brain still can’t process what had happened.

“Star, I hope your answer won’t disappoint me.” He lifts up my hand to place on his chest, above his heart that beats rapidly in the same rhythm like mine.

Then he leans in again, but before our lips touch for the second time, A shout from outside stop us.

“Sail ho!!”

I startle and back away. Hongjoong curses under his breath. He straightened up, holding my gaze for a moment.

“I’ll be back.” He gets up but halts, peering down at my hands that grip tightly on his shirt. I quickly let go, embarrassed.

“Miss me already.” He chuckles playfully. 

"Who miss you?" I huff,  attempting to hide my blush. 

He cups both of my cheek, grinning. "We'll continue later." Then he peck my lips, making my body turn weak again.

As soon as he exist the room, I let out a soundless scream and pass out on the couch. My hands cover my face that flush deep red. I can’t believe I allow him to kiss me. Most importantly, I kissed him back.

Does that confirm my feelings for him?

The answer is obvious.

The feelings crash on me unprepared. The thought of guarding my heart flew out of the window. Going home or staying here, I disregard them at this moment and submerge into this euphoric feeling.

 

Suddenly, I feel a shadow from above me. I remove my hand from my face and scream in fright.

I immediately spring up to my feet. When did he enter the room? Did he see me in my fangirl mode?

“What are you doing here?” I ask San nervously as he exudes an intense dark aura. He gives off a different vibe at the crow’s nest yesterday night.

When he didn’t answer me, I decided to leave. “I-I gotta go.” I walk past him but a strong grip on my wrist prevents me from taking another step.

I turn to him and feel my heart drop to the ground.

He stares at me coldly. The coldness in his eyes causes goosebumps rising at the back of my neck.

“Captain found his weakness.” His tone drips with venom. Then he yanks me into him, colliding into his body. I yelp in surprise. His hand grabs on my chin and his thumb brushes on my sensitive lips. My whole body turns numb when I realize what he meant.

“I’m not his weakness.” I frown, swatting his hand away.

His mouth stretches into a smirk. “Pirate king can’t have weakness.”

“Let go!” I yell, wriggle his iron grip from my wrist. But he doesn’t budge one bit. “If you think, I became his weakness because he has feelings for me then you’re wrong.” Anger pool in my stomach. “Feelings aren't a weakness. It gives us strength. If you’re afraid to love then you’re just a coward.” I spat at him and then regretted it when his smirk disappeared. To my surprise, he lets go of my wrist.

I rub on my painful wrist, glaring at him who stands motionless.

“What’s wrong with you?” I try to search for emotions in his eyes. “You really confused me, sometimes you scared me, sometimes you were nice to me. What do you want?”

I don’t expect him to answer. Instead he grabs on my sore red wrist, gentler this time.

Knitting my eyebrow, I observe his action. “Why? Are you going to apply ointment for me?”

He quietly stares at my wrist and mutters under his breath, almost inaudible. “You don’t belong here,” His dark gaze flicker to meet mine, “Nor him.”

Before I ask him what he meant, a door abruptly open.

“Little Star.” A sing-song voice enters the room. Wooyoung strides into the room and stops when he sees San holding my wrist. I instantly detach my arm from his grip.

“Woah! I don’t wanna interrupt you guys but little Star, you gotta go back to your cabin now. Our old friend made a visit.”

Old friend, it's the name that they call…

“Royal Navy?”

Wooyoung doesn’t answer me but turns to San and smirks. “Sannie, captain call for you to get ready to spill blood.”

San’s icy expression turns alive with bloodlust. His smirk twists into something too sinister to look at.

Perhaps, I spent too much time with them and saw their positive side. Hence I forgot they’re cruel pirates. But right now I’m concerned with the Royal navy appearance. I hope it’s not the person in my mind. Or else, we’re doomed.

 

(ノ>ω<)ノ :。・:*:・゚’★*:・゚’☆*:・゚’☆*:・゚’☆*:・゚’☆*:・゚’☆