Chapter 44 - Sharing room

Star Illusion | ATEEZ Pirate AU

 

It’s officially a month since I transmigrated into a fiction realm. Up until now, the only clue I received is the Seakeeper. My first assumption is that it has nothing to do with the figurehead like I used to clowning myself by talking to a carved wood. Therefore Hongjoong’s past lover has the highest possibility that she could be the real author. I didn’t have the time a̶n̶d̶ ̶g̶u̶t̶  to ask him yet so my plan makes no progress. Plus, I still owe Hongjoong the second punishment. It’s best to avoid him at all costs in this time period.

Another issue that I have to deal with is the shadow from last night. That fuzzy shadow definitely isn’t one of the crew or worse not a human. I rack my brain to find any interaction between female lead and some creatures but none ring a bell. Then I remember the shadow that I saw on the haunted ship. Are they related to each other? Lot of questions swirl in my mind and I need to find answers.

Since Ateez set sail early morning, I didn't have an opportunity to ask her until we were alone inside our cabin room.

Aurora sits on her bed, staring blankly outside the window. The light reflects her hair into a golden halo. I admire her beauty for a moment then snap into reality as I need to interrogate her about the shadow.

“Aurora.” I call her but she still loses in her thoughts.

“Aurora.” I raise my voice louder. This time she startles and turns to me.

“Yes?” Her doe eyes widen slightly.

“You look tired. Something bothers you?” I observe her worry-filled expression. She looks more distressed than yesterday.

“Well, just a little exhaust from things that are going on here.” She rests her gaze on me and stretches into a gentle smile. But she isn’t the type that hides her expression well. Exhaustion wouldn’t cause her to knot her brows all day long.

“Right, a lot of things happen in a span of one month. I almost died many times.” I chuckle dryly. She looks at me sympathetically. “But the thing that bothers you, is it the pirates?”

She sighs, not answering. But it’s obvious that she still hates their guts.

“The water?” I continue asking. She slightly frowns, pressing into a thin line.

“Or the shadow?”

My last sentence makes her eyes go wide for milliseconds and return back to normal. But that little action didn’t slip past my keen-eyed.

She remains silent for a moment and opens . “What shadow?”

“I saw it last night. At the rocky beach.” She’s trying to play innocent but in front of the great liar—aka me— she’s bad at it.

“Why did you follow me?” Her question confirms to me that she was there at the beach, it wasn’t my hallucination.

“I followed you because I was worried.” It wasn’t an excuse but I really worried about her. Yet, Aurora shifts uncomfortably on her bed.

“Star, you don’t have to worry about me. I told you I’m fine. I can manage myself.” Her tone reveals that she’s upset.

“So there really was a shadow in the water.” I press for an answer.

“You...” She trails off, trouble flashes across her face. “There was no one there.” The more she speaks, the more doubt I have for her increase.

“Was it the reason why you told me to beware of the water?” The night she warned me to beware of water was quite strange, so I didn’t take it into consideration. But when I saw the shadow, I could pierce things together.

“The reason...” Her gaze loop down into her lap, biting her lips in contemplation.“The w- ahhh!” Aurora screams and clutches on her chest.

I’m shocked by her sudden scream. Sprinting toward her bed, I grab on her shoulder. “Where did you feel pain? Your chest?”

Her pale face shook weakly, a bead of sweat rolling from her forehead. She takes a couple of deep breaths. “No, I’m fine. I just need a rest.”

Her complexion tells me that she’s far from being fine. “You’re not fine. Did something happen to you? And the water. What’s wrong with the water?” I recall that she was in pain in the wood when she warned me about the water. Did something hurt her from warning me?

She doesn’t respond but lies down and turns her back to me. “Please Star, I just need a rest.”

The mysterious bothers me so much, but her health is the first priority. “I’ll call Yeosang to check on you.” I don’t wait for her protest as I bolt outside the room.

 

 

When I come back with Yeosang, Aurora has already fallen asleep.

“You said she clutched on her chest?” Yeosang asks, peering at the sleeping beauty.

“Yes, she seemed to be in so much pain and she sweated a lot.” I answer from beside him, staring at the sick girl. Even in her sleep, she still looks anxious. I feel guilty for pressing the answer from her.

Yeosang frowns. When Aurora worked with him for the past 7 days, she looked perfectly fine. But they weren't close so she might not tell him of her sickness.

“And the first time you saw her in pain was 4 days ago?” He asks.

“Yes.” I nod.

Yeosang grabs his chin. “It could be a heart disease.”

My hands fly into my mouth, that is serious. I don’t remember Y/N has a fatal deceased. The female lead can’t die here. The fact that she and Ateez don’t end up together is bad enough. And if she dies, it’s gonna be a tragedy.

“It was a guess. I’ll ask her for more symptoms once she wakes up.” Yeosang turns grim. Being sick on a pirate ship is like having one leg cross to the netherworld.

“I’ll try my best to treat her.” He gives me a reassuring smile.

“Thanks Yeosang.” I say, heaving a long sigh. What’s going on with the plot? The shadow and Aurora’s sickness.

“What about you? Does your stomach still hurt?” He asks.

“I’m fine. My bruise almost healed.” I raise my shirt to see that a once giant bruise has now reduced to a size of a lime.

“I think you are the one to take responsibility of me.” Yeosang says out of blue. “You keep flashing your stomach to my eyes.”

My mouth hangs open and my face turns into scarlet. “Yeosang!” I playfully hit him in the arm.

He shushes me, his index finger almost touching my lips. “Keep the voice down, you don’t wanna disturb the patient.” He says and glances at Aurora.

Seeing me pout, Yeosang chuckles quietly. “I’ll take my leave, there’re patients I need to attain. But summon me once Miss Aurora wakes up.”

“Okay.” I nod and walk with him to the door.

He exits the room but turns around one more time. “If any of the crew trouble you, you can always come to me.” The seriousness in his gaze somehow eases my worry. He probably knows about the fight that broke out the days before.

“Yessir.” I smile. He smiles back for one last time and leaves.

 

I look after Aurora until I fall asleep and wake up because my stomach keeps growling. It’s already late afternoon. Seeing that Aurora’s still sleeping, I plan to take a quick visit at the kitchen and grab some food for her too.

Along the way to the kitchen, the crew give me weird stare again. I should get used to it by now but this time they also flash me creepy smiles.

I quicken my pace, entering the kitchen. Sadly, none of the members are here. I have a lot of questions for them. I grab a tray and place down salmagundi dishes and several sea biscuits. Then a noisy table caught my interest.

“Captain was so furious. I thought they would be dead already!” A man talks with such strong passion. The other nods in agreement, their terrified expression plaster on their faces.

I drop the tray and immediately stride toward that table. Some of them notice my presence, they nudge the speaker to stop talking.

“Aye Miss Star.” They smile awkwardly at me.

“What did Hong- Captain punish the trio?!” I shoot the question right away.

“Er..” They exchange glances but nobody answers me.

“C’mon, tell me!” I doubt Hongjoong told his crew to not tell me.

They shake their heads, avoiding my gaze.

“Fine, then where are they?”

 

---

 

Mingi and Wooyoung are currently attending a meeting while San is somewhere on the ship. I asked the crew on his whereabouts until I found him at the poop deck.

I climb a flight of stairs and see him lean against the rail, honing his daggers.

“Hi, San.” I take small careful steps toward him. I shouldn’t be terrified of him as he never intended to hurt me after all but his present stir uneasiness in a pit of my stomach.

San casts a blank glance at me and returns to daggers in his hands.

“Did Hongjoong punish you?” I stop right in front of him but he ignores me again. Sigh.

His action is so confusing, he either completely disregards my existence or drives me into a corner. There’s no in between.

“Did Jim give you back your shirt?” I asked Jim to return his problematic black shirt that caused the whole world to be misunderstanding.

In silence, I observe him to see any sign of punishment. His face is void of injury and he doesn’t look like he’s starving.

“Are you angry with me?” After the question left my mouth, I wonder why I asked him that. I should be the one that is angry with him. His silence frustrates me to no end.

“Did Wooyoung tell you weird stuff?” Wooyoung’s remark resurfaced in my mind. Perhaps it was his doing that San ignored me.

The sound of blades gliding stop as San retrieves his daggers into his belt. He walks past me without sparing a glance.

I huff, feeling unsettled. Before then he seemed to open up to me and now we're back to square one.

“Wooyoung said that you wanted to say sorry to me.” I don’t know what got into me but I shout after his back.

San stops in his tracks, either from my shout or the presence of red hair and faded purple hair boys ascending from the stairs.

A dagger suddenly flies toward Wooyoung, he yelps and swiftly dodge. It barely misses his foot and plucks inside a wooden plank.

“Woah Mate! We just fixed the entire ship, don’t you dare ruin my girl.” Wooyoung crouches down to pick up the dagger.

“Catch!” Wooyoung grins and aims it at San. The speed makes the dagger flash in silver light, however, San unbelievable catch on its hilt.

I rub my eyes, are we in some kind of action movie?

But I don’t have time to admire their skills as San raises his hand to throw a dagger at Wooyoung again. While Wooyoung and Mingi grab their weapons at their belts.

“Stop!!!!!!” My high pitch scream makes the guys cringe but they don’t lower their stance. “Are you guys nuts?! Don’t freaking fight here!”

“We ain’t fighting, I just gave him back his dagger.” Wooyoung shrugs coolly, letting go of his cutlass.

I roll my eyes at his lame excuse. “Whatever, we can’t afford another punishment from Hongjoong and Mr.Grumpy.”

“Mr.Grumpy, hey I like that name, it suits Seonghwa.” Mingi chirps from beside Wooyoung. He appears cheerful unlike the raging man from last time. Even though he just grabbed his pistol, no hostility was present in his eyes toward San. And San doesn’t give the taller guy a taunting smirk, and he puts a dagger inside his belt.

“So you guys make amends?” I switch glance between two sides.

“Yeah, we already came to an agreement.” Wooyoung says, nodding his head. But Mingi looks clueless as ever. “Did we?” He whispers to Wooyoung but I can hear it clearly. Wooyoung glares at him. They communicate through their eyes until Mingi exclaims, “OHH!!” He nods to himself. Wooyoung scoffs at his mate and turns to me.

“What agreement?” The way Wooyoung’s eyes glint mischievously tells me that he plans a scheme with Mingi.

“We found the real problem. So…” He trails off and his grin gets wider. I step backward, alert at his bizarre vibe. I glimpse at the only escape route behind his back.

“We’ll get rid of you.” Once Wooyoung finishes his sentence, he sprints toward me at full speed.

“Ahhhhhhhhh!!!!!” I scream on top of my lungs, it could probably be heard across the seven seas. 

 

---

 

“3 days until reaching Nassau.” Hongjoong steps out of the bridge after a long meeting. He takes a deep breath of fresh sea air. His stress subsided once they set sail again. They’re heading toward Nassau to do trade and stock supplies. It’ll be a quick stop and then they’ll advance to Wonderland.

He stares at the calm sea. At that moment, his ears pick up a fist of laughter that carries from the wind.

The thunderous laughter belongs to one and only master gunner and a high pitch tone definitely belongs to the first mate. And the last one, a sweet feminine voice yelling incoherent words belongs to his little treasure.

Grin creeps on his face. On the other hand, Seonghwa who stands beside him contorts his face like a grumpy old man. Hongjoong doesn’t understand why his quartermaster dislikes her so much. But that isn’t much of a concern. His main concern is why some of his crew take a liking on her so much.

“So annoying.” Seonghwa sneers, glaring at the poop deck above.

“So annoying.” Hongjoong nods. Nevertheless, their meanings are in different contexts.

Hongjoong chew his lower lips and turns to order Seonghwa. “Tell Star to meet me at my quarter room.” Hongjoong leaves right away, not waiting for Seonghwa’s objection.

Seonghwa scoffs, shooting daggers at his captain’s tiny figure. Why does he have to deliver a message? He’s not a cabin boy.

The laughter gets louder and it incredibly gets on his nerves. Those guys, do they wanna challenge his limit? Seonghwa grits on his teeth while climbing the stairs toward the poop deck.

 

---

 

“You guys dare trick me!?” I fumingly point at Wooyoung and Mingi from the ground. Previously Wooyoung tricked me into thinking that he’d really got rid of me for real. Turns out he just scared me but I already fell on my .

“Your expression was priceless, ahahaha.” Wooyoung laughs until his face and neck turns red. Mingi is in no better shape either since he’s collapsed to the ground.

“Shut up!” I get up and huff. I swear I’ll have my sweet revenge, so I turn to my life savior. “San, when I fell, I think your San dagger also hit the floor.” However, San stands there like a statue. He peers at us disinterestedly. Hence the duo continue laughing like a maniac.

“I see, you lots wanna get demoted to swabbies.” The temperature drops when a cold voice enters our ears.

We turn our head to see Mr. Grumpy with a dark aura surrounding him. Wooyoung and Mingi immediately stop, they stand up straight and wear serious expressions.

“Oh, I need to check the storage room.” Woooyoung speaks and instantly walks toward the stairs, passing bad mood Seonghwa.

“I...I need to check bullets and gunpowder stock." Mingi nods to himself and follows Wooyoung down stairs.

I scoff at how shameless they can be. Whilst Seonghwa seems to be getting used to their antics.

“Miss nuisance, captain call for you in his quarter’s room.” Seonghwa glares at me. My face twist at how he called me.

“Got it. Mr. Grumpy.” I quickly sprint toward the stairs once I said the deadly word.

Seonghwa scowls but Star already disappeared down below. That nuisance girl, if Hongjoong doesn’t set an eye on her, he’d be so sure she would rest in not so peacefully at the bottom of the sea.

Seonghwa turns to the combatant and notices a small smirk on his lips.

“San, I told you. You no longer need to keep an eye on her.” At first, he ordered San because he suspected her. But San took his order too seriously. He acts strange for the past few weeks. Besides, the longer Seonghwa knew her, he came to the conclusion that she isn’t a threat but a crazy girl. “If Hongjoong knows, he wouldn’t be pleased.” Seonghwa mutters to himself.

San glances at him, a smirk vanish.

Silent.

Seonghwa sighs. He’ll give 100 gold coins to whoever makes this guy speak.

 

---

 

I run inside the quarter’s room and pant heavily. I glimpse behind me and feel relief when no one follows me. I pat my chest after escaping death.

I shut the door and scan the room but see no Hongjoong. At the end of the room, a door left ajar. I walk closer and stick my head to peek inside.

Hongjoong sits cross legs on his queen size bed. His eyes meet mine and his sly grin blooms on his face.

“Come in.” A raspy voice lures me into his den. I shift between my legs, not entering his room. I’m not stupid enough to offer myself to the demon.

“You hate people going inside your bedroom. I’ll just stay here.” I stand at the door frame.

“Star, come in.” He repeats with a dissatisfied tone. “Don’t let me personally drag you inside.”

I gulp nervously and step inside. But I still stay close to the door.

“Close the door.” He orders. Then he raises an eyebrow when I don’t move a muscle. I reluctantly shut the door and stay in the same spot.

“I told you not to scared of me.” Hongjoong chuckles, getting up from his bed and stride toward me.

I grimace at how he threatened me with the second punishment a day ago and now he tells me to not be scared of him.

“I’m not scared, I’m okay where I am.” I watch him move closer and my hand reaches for the doorknob. However, his hand catches my wrist before I’m able to open the door. Then he pulls me to the middle of the room.

“Do you like this room?” Hongjoong random question earns a dumbfounded look from me. What is he getting at?

I scan around the pirate king’s room. It’s spacious but smaller than the quarter room. A four-pillar king size bed covered with a red silk sheet which apparently looks way better than my small and hardened bed. A gigantic window behind the bed provides the best view of the sky and ocean. The floor is covered with mahogany red carpet. Jewels and antique valuables decorate the entire room. The room presents its owner well because it looks lavish, bold and striking. I definitely like this room since it's the best cabin on the ship.

“Why? Will you give up this room for me?” I but Hongjoong disappears from my line of sight.

Suddenly a pair of arms hug me from behind.

“How about we share.” His deep breathy voice whispers into my ears.

Share?! The sound of my brain exploding echoes in my head. My body froze and I forgot how to breath.

“Wh..what did you say?” It’s a miracle that I’m still manage to speak.

He chuckles and that makes my condition worse. My heart pounds against my ribcage, it’s about to jump out of my chest.

He withdraws his arms and the disappearance of his warmth from his body leaves me goosebumps. He gently circles me to face him, then he surrounds his arms behind my back.

“I know you understand what I meant.” His gleaming hazel orbs stare into me.

I don’t understand, I refuse to understand anything.

A lump in my throat prevents me from speaking and my stiff neck muscles unable me to shake my head.

“I won’t rush you. Just give me an answer after Wonderland.” An unwavering tone shows that he’s confident.

Give him an answer? Does he want me to stay with him after Wonderland?

“Hongjoong, if it’s about the love prediction, you don’t have to be serious about it.” I break eye contact with him. It was my fault for leading him in a wrong direction.

“No, I don’t trust it. I only trust my feelings.”

My eyes snap at him . His feelings...he really likes me?

A smile threatens to break on my face but I bite my lip to prevent it. Who would believe the mighty Hongjoong likes me?

However, the harsh reality comes crashing down, I can’t stay in the fiction realm.

“I can’t-”

He put his finger against my lips. “Don’t answer yet. Your answer will be valid after Wonderland.” He detaches his hand to caress my cheek and continues melting my soul with his glisten gaze. But his actions only throw me into a dilemma.

Stop tempting me or I’ll say yes.

“What is so hard about it?” He says when he notices an uneasiness from her.

Of course, it’s hard. After Wonderland, I’d be going home, leaving him.

“I’m going home.” I tell him honestly.

“That’s why I give you time to think.” His eyes narrow slightly as if he isn't satisfied with my response.

“B-But you already have a lover.” He once talked about Seakeeper, his past lover. It seems he still loves her dearly that he craved her into his figurehead.

He laughs, “If it’s about that, she wasn’t my lover. Love has many types, don’t you agree?”

I blink, processing his words. “Was she your mother?”

He’s taken aback and later shakes his head. The sparkle in his eyes dim.

“Uh, sorry.” I shouldn’t bring his mother into the conversation. He has a tragic past that led him into being a pirate.

Shaking his head, his smile returns. He grabs behind my neck. His gesture reminded me of the night at the rocky beach.

“Is this the second punishment?” I ask him, feeling wary of what he's going to do.

He doesn’t answer but chuckles. His eyes roam around my face and stop at my lips. I squeeze my eyes tight shut when his face moves closer.

Suddenly, a knock on the door startles us. I turn my face toward the door, making Hongjoong’s lips land on my cheek. Heat flares up from where our skin touches and it spreads, burning my whole body.

Hongjoong shift his face away to look at the door. When it’s quiet, he gently grabs my chin. He tilts his head and leans closer for the second time.

But the person behind the door decides to knock again.

Hongjoong curses and glares at the door. He turns to stare at me and reluctantly lets go.

I fidget nervously in front of him. While he his lower lip, pondering whether to continue or shoot at the person behind the door.

“I-I’ll be going.” I stutter and run toward the door, leaving Hongjoong alone in his lonely room. Once I exit, Seonghwa's grumpy face comes into view. I ignore him and continue running outside the room.

I run wherever my legs take me. My head is occupied by the previous scenario. I cup my burning cheeks and curse wildly inside my head. I almost let him kiss me.

Dang it Star, I told you to guard your heart.

The story is heading in a completely wrong direction. He isn’t supposed to fall for me. I have no idea how the story will proceed after my departure. Will my existence in this story be erased? Will they forget me…?

And most importantly, I shouldn’t fall for him.

But I think it’s too late now.

 

“What’re you doing up here? Do you miss me that much?” A surprised voice interrupted my train of thought.

“What? Why are you here?” I ask Wooyoung who stares at me weirdly.

“I'm supposed to be the one to ask you that. Why did you climb into my station?”

I furrow my brows, looking downward and letting out an earsplitting scream.

Ahhhhh!! How did I climb onto the crow’s nest?! 

 

 

*:・゚✧*:・゚✧*:・゚✧*:・゚✧*:・゚✧*:・゚✧

 

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ┻━┻ ┻━┻ ┻━┻ ┻━┻

Here are the tables for you guys to flip.