Chapter 77 - Mind blown

Star Illusion | ATEEZ Pirate AU

 

Happy Birthday Atinys!!
My precious readers, I'm back! At first I want to post a 9k word count chapter but the second half is still so I post the first half first. Hope you enjoy!! 

(o_ _)ノ彡☆

 

 

When I open my eyes again, I’m not on the ship anymore. The pain in my head disappears, my body feels as light as clouds on a lazy Sunday morning. My surroundings are a bright space that strengthens into boundless distance. I see nothing in my line of sight, not even my own body.

AHHHH!!!! WHAT THE F-

I’m sure as hell that I’m screaming on top of my lungs but no sound comes out. This place remains silent. I shout once again to test my voice, yet nothing can be heard. Panic starts to rise to the surface of my mind.

Did I die? Or because the book ends since I failed to rescue Ateez so I transport into this strange place?

The thoughts terrifies me to the core. The bitterness of departing with my friends spread throughout my whole being. I couldn't leave them without saying goodbye, especially when they're at a critical moment. They must be devastated that I suddenly passed away. I abandon them, knowing full well that their tragic ending will be even worse than the original.

I believe I’m crying at this rate but I have no physical body to confirm.

On second thought, this space could be my dreamscape. I passed out because of Alice’s sickness. Instead of being in a dark dimension like the last time, it’s a bright one. I could return back to Alice's body. I just have to wait.

Nevertheless, it took me 3 days to gain consciousness last time. The sun is setting, I don’t have much time left, I must wake up now before the witch finds us.

Not knowing how long I try to wake myself up by screaming and wailing, a female voice suddenly calls my real name; the name I am no longer familiar with.

Alarmed by the voice, I scan around me, looking for a person, yet I see no one in my field of vision. ‘Seakeeper-nim?!’ I made a guess. Because no one visits me in my dream except Seakeeper.

The same voice answers me back. ‘The time is running out.’

The heaviness from my chest immediately lifts up. She’s really Seakeeper. She heard my prayer and came to rescue us. ‘Right, time is running out. The sun is about to set!’ Even though I’m glad that she didn't abandon me, I’m upset that she just appeared when the time was almost up. All of us were having a mental breakdown a while back there.

‘I can show you the way to Wonderland.’ Seakeeper continues speaking.

If it wasn’t my dream, I would probably jump up and down in excitement. I’m going to get a happy ending for Ateez and the others. They’ll be so thrilled to hear this news.

Then I realize, I can’t speak in this dreamland, I only think. Does that mean Seakeeper can hear all my thoughts…?

‘Please guide us to Wonderland, Seakeeper-nim. You’re our life savior and we’ll be forever grateful…’ I think politely this time.

Thankfully, she isn't ill-tempered like the quartermaster so she continues speaking calmly. ‘I’m here to guide you to Wonderland, however…” She trails off, her voice begins to fade into the far distance. I eagerly wait for her to continue, yet she begins talking about something else.

‘This child’s body has reached its limit. Her fate ended 2 months ago when you took over her body.”

Confused, it takes me a moment to realize that she talks about Alice's body. Although I can’t feel my own body now, chills rise from my head to toe. Two months ago was when I transmigrated into Alice’s body. So Alice died on the ship and I’m a ghost who invaded her body. Her spirit must be so angry at me for doing silly stuff in her body.

‘My power has kept your body alive. Without my power, the body would decay as it was supposed to be.’

Even though her voice is muffled like a bad signal, I can understand her clearly. Because of Seakeeper’s power, I’m able to live healthily in Alice’s dying body, and without her power, I’ll likely to die. So the reason I fell into a coma was because Seakeeper somehow lost her power?

Her next sentence responded to my assumption, ‘My power has greatly weakened after the recent fight with the sea witch when she possessed the young man’s body. Sadly, it's not sufficient to guide you to Wonderland and to keep your body alive. You must choose.’

It doesn’t take long to understand what she meant. My sand castle crumbles in front of my eyes. I have to choose between living in Alice’s body or receiving guidance to Wonderland.

But the choices are absurd! If I choose to stay alive, Ateez has no way to sail to wonderland, and I’ll have a high chance of dying in the hands of the sea witch. On the other hand, if I choose for her to guide us to Wonderland, I’ll end up dying because her power is limited. Either way, I’ll die. So what's the difference?

‘If I choose Wonderland, what happens when I die? Will I return to my world?’ I ask her. Since I’ll die anyway, I’ll choose for my friend to stay alive.

‘I’ll remain my power in your body, enough for you to travel to Wonderland. But you must reach the island before the moon dyes in scarlet. You can wish upon going back to your world at Wonderland. Its power can send you back to your world. Or else,’ She pauses a little, making my heart about to explode from nervousness. ‘If you die before reaching Wonderland, your soul will be stuck in between the two realms forever. You can’t go back to your world nor stay in this world. You temporarily went there before, when I lost control of my power.’

The image of a dark void when I fell into a coma the other day intrudes my mind. I feel sick to the core, remembering how lonely and cold I was. And for my soul to be stuck over there forever, I rather drink green terror for eternity!

‘But you brought me to this world, you’re supposed to bring me back safely!’ I didn’t want to snap at her, but this is unacceptable. I want my travel refund.

‘Unfortunately, I lost half of my power after many fights with the witch in the past. After I brought you into my world, my power was even more weakened. I made sure that you stay safe in our world. I rescued you when you almost fell from the wrecked vessel. I created a barrier around your ship to keep out sea monsters. I appeared in your dream when you needed to flee from the witch’s lair. As you can see, the more I use my power to protect you, the weaker I'll become.’

This is the answer that I’ve been waiting to know for a whole 2 months of staying here. Seakeeper really brought me into this world. She used her power to save my until she became so weak. The shadow I saw on the haunted ship was the Seakeeper which I thought was a ghost. She grabbed me when I tripped and was about to fall down to my death. She visited me in my dream when we were in trouble with the witch. I’m thankful for what she has done, but she just can’t dump me at the end.

‘I understand how you feel. The duties on your shoulder are too burdensome to be accepted. So I give you another choice, I can use my remaining power to send you back to your world right now.’ She calmly explains.

As the story comes to an end, she decides to give me choices since the plot doesn’t go her way? And then how’s the book going to continue?

Perplexed by my own notion, I ask her again. ‘Wait, I don’t understand. You can use your whatever power left to send me back now. Then what will happen to the people here?’

‘They’ll continue living by their fates.’ She answers.

A pang of guilt hit my chest. If I choose to go home, Ateez will face the sea witch and turn into sea monsters. Yeojin and Aurora might not survive either. Even though this is fiction, I don’t want to see my friends die.

‘I don’t get it. You're the writer of this book, you can change the ending right?’ After my question, I hear her chuckle softly.

‘I am no writer of destiny. I’m a mere guardian of the sea chosen by Wonderland. The book that you read was a wish manifested by Aurora. And I acted upon her wish by bringing you here.’

Not sure whether I should be shocked by the fact that Seakeeper wasn’t the author or I was right that Aurora's wish brought me here!!

My brain repeats the sentences many times until it allows the information to sink in. Seakeeper is the guardian of the sea who carried out Aurora's wish. And the fiction that I read was a manifestation of Aurora that she wished to return back in time and for someone to rescue Ateez. That someone turns out to be me. But then, ‘Why me?’

‘Wonderland chose you. You’re here to change those pitiful human fates, and to love that foolish child.’

I feel my throat tighten at her explanation because I miserably failed my 2 duties. I’m so close to selfishly ditching them and going back home to continue a fangirling life.

‘However, you have more duties to fulfill.’ She carries on as if she’s afraid I’ll ditch them for real, ‘You’re destined to rescue our world from the sea witch. Wonderland has the consciousness of its own and it knows only you can change our tragic fate.’

Wonderland chose me to save her world. What is she talking about? I came here because I stupidly spilled water on my laptop!!! I frustratedly shout in my head. I don’t care whether she hears me or not anymore.

Wait a moment!

She said their world for quite some time. The world that isn’t written by Seakeeper. The fiction that manifested from the power of Wonderland. Seakeeper who brought me into their world to fulfill my duties. My soul that can be stuck between two realms. And currently I’m a ghost who possesses Alice’s body.

Could it be that this realm is some kind of…real?

 

When I hear Seakeeper chuckling again, my mind is completely blown away. I feel like fainting in my dream. If this realm is a real thing…so, in conclusion, to be concluded, therefore, pirates Ateez, Yeojin, Aurora, and the other characters are real people in their own real world!

Someone lends me brain cells because I don't think my mud brain can process this information. Is this what it's called a parallel universe? Like we all exist in other realities and I happened to stumble on a pirate universe. If I know this point, I should’ve read about Royal Ateez fiction or Filthy rich Ateez au so I don’t have to be stuck in the same clothes for 2 weeks.

Faint chuckles from Seakeeper continue as I freak out. She must have fun seeing me having a mental breakdown. Before I’m able to recover from the fact, she continues bombarding me with new facts.

‘Wonderland directed me to give the witch’s bane dagger to that poor child, waiting for the day to pass it to you to defeat the Sea witch. I’ve been waiting for you for so long. You might not know that I watched over you as long as you roam above the sea. You've done a good job so far. And I heard you calling me, but I didn't have much power to appear before you.’

The more I listen to her, the more humiliated I feel. I embarrassed myself by singing and dancing to summon her. I even threaten to report her fiction.

Conversely, I’m highly regarded by the guardian of the sea. She gave San dagger for me to fight the sea witch before San even joined Ateez. Wonderland must’ve foreseen that I’d be traveling to this world. I wonder if it will know that I plan to abandon my duty. Because even Seakeeper has superpower, she still can't defeat the witch. While I’m a fragile heart girl in a dying body. My role is supposed to be damsel in distress waiting for charming pirates to rescue me.

‘Why does that witch want to kill you so bad?’ I ask out of curiosity. The witch has such a deep hatred for the Seakeeper. I thought of Hongjoong’s plan to use her name to trick the sea witch and feel apologetic to her.

‘Wonderland is the source of power of our world. If the power fell into the witch’s hand, she could rule this world and commit terrible things. I, as a guardian, won’t let that happen.’ Seakeeper responded with a saddening voice.

‘So what’s your answer child?’ She asks me again after dumping me with hell of information.

‘You leave me no choice.’ I didn’t sign up for this heroine quest. My biggest mistake was spilling water. I sigh for the longest time of my life and answer her.

‘Show me the way.’

‘I believe Wonderland is right for choosing you.’ I imagine she’s smiling while speaking. I also hope Wonderland foresees that I’ll accomplish my duties and go home safely.

‘Follow the purple star.’

 

---

 

I cough painfully and huff for air to fill my lungs as I wake up from my dream state. My whole body is heavy like being made of iron, my throat is dry like desert, and my head is pounding as if someone is smashing my skull every second. This terrible feeling is the worst sickness in my entire life.

My eyes flutter open while tears roll down my burning hot cheeks, yet my body feels cold to the bones, causing me to shake uncontrollably. I try to keep my eyes open but my eyelids are so heavy and threaten to shut down.

“Quiet! She woke up!” Someone shouts then the noises that I didn’t notice earlier die down.

My sight is blurry with tears, I blink again to observe my surroundings. The dark room is lit up by orange flame, allowing me to see several silhouettes around me. This room is too large to be my cabin, and the bed is too soft to be my own bed. Although my brain is unable to process where I am, I know I’m still on the ship since I feel the rocking motion that makes me dizzy. Thunder rumbles outside the ship. When the lightning flashes, I can make out that this is Hongjoong’s cabin.

I came back to the world which I used to believe was fiction. All of the characters are real people. My experiences here are all real. This new idea is hard to grasp, it is like bombs thrown at me at once.

A part of me hopes that everything is my own illusion, something that my brain created after I was electrocuted. I don’t want to accept the heroine's duties. It’s too huge for me to take responsibility to save the entire world. I might fail and give everyone a tragic ending. Especially, this is reality, not a book that can re-write.

Because it can’t be rewritten, I couldn’t abandon my friends and innocent people to meet their cruel fate. To leave them to their dooms will forever haunt me to my grave. Besides, if Seakeeper uses all her power to send me back, then she is likely to lose to the sea witch. Wonderland will fall into the sea witch’s hand. More people will suffer from her.

Though fear and the pain in my body makes me think twice if it is worth it to save these people. I could die and get stuck in a dark dimension for eternity. But since Wonderland chose me, it must foresee that I’ll succeed. I just hope that I won’t die before arriving at the island. If I end up dying and my soul is stuck inside the dark dimension, I swear I’ll find my way back to turn Wonderland into a Kraken playground.

“Star, do you hear me?” A soft velvety voice beside me asks while I curse at Wonderland. Then I see an angelic face looming above me. Yeosang tightly knits his eyebrows, mouth jutting out with worriness. I spot the blue color of his nose spread to his cheeks while he brushes my tears away from my face with a soft cloth.

“U-Um.” I cough as an answer.

Relief mixes with his worry expression, Yeosang relaxes his body slightly. As he notices that I’m shaking from the cold, he places another layer of blanket on top of me.

“Why does your symptom have to act now? The sun is already set. The witch can come anytime. And we're gonna be so dead!” Yeojin stands behind Yeosang, biting her nails again. Next to her, Aurora anxiously looks at me. “Star can be cured only if we go to Wonderland. What should we do?” She asks particularly at no one. And nobody in the room can answer her, except me.

As I try to speak up, my dry throat makes sure that I am unable to communicate with them. Every time I open my mouth, I cough and pant like I’m running a mile.

“Are you trying to say something?” Luckily, Yeosang notices my dying fish behavior and asks me.

I nod my stiff neck, swallowing saliva to moisturize my parched throat. The others quiet down and listen to me. “Drea-” I cough again. Hell, I can’t even say dream.

“What is it? You had a dream?” Another familiar voice asks me from the foot of the bed. He’s the person who I meant to love in Aurora’s place. I am stunned by his presence and forget what to say.

“Star.” He calls me again, causing my heart to beat faster. I wake up from my train of thought and slowly nod my head. Then I hear surprising gasps from the occupants in the room.

“What did you dream about?” The real owner of the bed walks to another side of the bed, and sits next to me. Hongjoong holds my hand, the warmth from his hand makes my heart slightly less cold. His yellow slit eyes look at me tenderly, but the white part of his eyes have completely turned black.

Noticing that I stare at his eyes, he tears his gaze away from me. With his jaw clenched, he lets go of my hand.

My hand feels cold again. I want to say that I want him to look at me and hold my hands. Because we might not have a chance anymore. I don’t care whether he thinks of me now, I want to spend more time with him until it’s time for me to go.

I brush my silly thoughts away to focus on my current task. After the sunset, the curse might activate and the pirates are turning into sea monsters. I must waste no more time. I inhale another breath and shout, but it sounds more like choking. “Puuurr...ple!”

“What purple?” Hongjoong repeats my word correctly, leaning in closer to my face, yet his eyes look elsewhere except me.

“S-star.” I whisper this time, feeling disheartened that he doesn't want to look at me.

“Yes, you’re Star. What’re you trying to say?” Yeojin frustratedly asks me this time.

You dumb girl! I didn’t say my name! I roll my eyes at her. Yeosang, who notices my grimace, reprimands his sister to quiet down.

When everyone quiets down, I take another deep breath and shout. 

“Foooo...llooow….Ssss…..tar.”

The room falls silent for a moment. Then Hongjoong instantly dashes toward the door, yanking it open.

“Yunho, go out there and see if there’s any purple star in sight. If you spot one, quickly inform Seonghwa to follow it!” Hongjoong barks an order at the navigator. Then I hear heavy footsteps running out of the quarter room.

“Right, the purple star!” Yeosang gasps and looks at me with round eyes. He probably remembers the purple star that saved our asses from the witch last time. Aurora looks somewhat guilty and lowers her head down. While Yeojin looks at me with a mouth agape since I used to roughly tell her about our adventure.

Hongjoong goes back inside the room. “You lot take care of Star. I’ll oversee outside. If there’s anything urgent, find me quickly.”

I feel proud of the tiny man as he understands me, but there’s another message that I haven’t delivered yet. Before I’m able to speak, Hongjoong is already disappear. I lift up my hand weakly toward the door.

“You want to say something?” Yeosang asks me.

I turn to look at him and nod. I must tell them to arrive at Wonderland before the moon turns red.

I cough a couple times and say. “B-before red-” I take a breath in between, “M-moon.”

Yeosang and the girls furrow their brows as they don’t understand me.

“H-hurry, red…moon.” I say again.

“Red moon.” Yeosang mumbles and looks outside the window, searching for the moon. “We can't see the moon here.”

“We need to hurry up?” Yeojin asks me, leaning her face closer to me until her hair falls into my face. Yeosang pulls his sister away from me and shouts excitedly. “Before the moon will become red!”

I nod at him and repeat my broken sentences. “Be..foreee..r-red…”

Yeosang immediately gets up from the bed. “I’ll go outside and see whether the moon has turned red or not. You both please stay with her.”

“No, Aurora and I’ll go. And I’ll tell that captain mullet to hurry up.” Yeojin stops Yeosang and grabs Aurora’s wrist, pulling her away and exiting the room. I look at the closed door, not feeling confident if they really understood the assignment or not.

Then the bed beside me lowered down by the weight of the surgeon. He presses his lips together as if trying to hold something back, but he eventually says it. “You save us again.” Guilt flashes on his angelic face, hands curl into tight fists. “But I can’t do anything to save you at all.”

Seeing his shoulders tremble, I can’t help but reach my hand and place it on his arm. Yeosang always takes the blame for himself even when he has nothing to do with it. Just like Yeojin said, this man deserves to be happy.

I try to lift up corners of my mouth into a smile to tell him that it isn’t his fault. Yeosang looks up and takes my hand in his. “Even when you’re in pain, you still try to cheer me up. How could I get over you?” His lips tug downward and break eye contact with me. Yet, his hand squeezes my hand tighter as if he doesn’t want to let go.

Suddenly, he lets out a grunt and covers his nose, whipping his face away from me.

“Y-you- hurt?” I ask worriedly.

He takes a moment before answering me. “Nothing, I’m fine.” When he removes his hand away from his face, I see the blue color spread even more on his cheeks.

How stupid of me to forget to ask Seakeeper how long does it take to reach Wonderland. The pirates might turn into sea monsters before we arrive there successfully.

Seeing my panicked expression, Yeosang covers his nose again. “Well, it seems like when the sun sets, our body parts start to change a little.” He explains. “But since Seakeeper came to help us, we should be fine.” His reassuring smile quickly twists once a wave of pain hits him one more time. He sits with his back facing me while trying to calm the pain.

“Yeo…sang…” I call him and touch his back.

He turns around with the same reassuring smile, still covering his nose “Trust me it’s not as painful compared to seeing the person I love in pain.”

After his remark, I instantly became conscious of his words. I blink and accidently glimpse at his lips which remind me of the kiss incident.

“I know it’s not the right time to talk about it. But I’m afraid there’s no chance.” He says and slowly reaches for my hand. My body becomes tense by the sudden change of atmosphere.

“Before I joined the crew, I once had a crush on a girl in my neighborhood. Wooyoung and Yeojin used to tease me about how she was interested in me. But I was too scared to approach her. One day she got married to a rich merchant. I told myself I was fine since she deserved a better man than a poor surgeon.”

My mouth turns into a pout after hearing him explaining about his past love life. It was that woman's loss since she didn’t choose Yeosang.

A small smile imprint on his lips and he continues telling his story. “It’s fine, I've already gotten over her a long time ago. Then I joined Ateez. It was embarrassing but you probably know that I used to like Aurora. She's beautiful, a little strong headed, but she cares for others. And again, I was too shy to confess my feelings to her. The other crew also went after her so I decided to keep it to myself.”

I squeeze his hand, signaling him it’s okay since the other members like Hongjoong and Wooyoung are shameless when it comes to public affection. Yeosang smiles wider as if he understands me.

“I think I got over her after the time returned back where I met you. I was sure that it wasn’t love at first sight. But the first time I saw you I knew you were special. You’re unique and full of mysteries. Something in you drew me closer and I wanted to know you more. Back then, I had no idea why I got so worked up when the crews were being mean to you. I felt hurt when you were hurt. I wasn't even angry when you belittled my precious medicine. Something was wrong with me, and that’s how I realized I’ve fallen for you.”

My body tenses up again and turns hot with his confession. I keep my mouth shut, trying not to cough out loud and break the atmosphere.

“Same as before, I didn’t make a move because I was scared. I don’t think you’ll come to like a mere surgeon on a pirate ship. But when I saw how Hongjoong and San weren’t afraid to show their love to you, I wanted to be like them– to say that I like you, to bravely protect you, and not be afraid of what people might think.” He pauses, smiling bitterly “But eventually, I can’t be like them. I can’t burden you with my feelings. So I made the same mistake because your heart was already taken by someone else.”

I shake my head. I can feel his sincerity through his words and actions. I wish I could tell him that it’s an honor to receive love from him. He always has a special spot in my heart. In my entire life, I never met someone as kind as him. He never hurted my feelings nor made me cry. His mistake wasn’t being scared, but he loved the wrong person. I hope that the 4th time he falls in love, he’ll finally be happy.

“Starry, can I be greedy for one last time?” Suddenly, he cups my cheek, fire spreads inside his orbs as he leans closer. I subconsciously hold my breath as he stares deep into my eyes, there’s no bashfulness or hesitation, only determination. I battle myself whether to push him away or pretend to faint.

But it’s too late. He slowly presses his lips on mine. The warmth of his lips makes my body become even hotter. Yet, his kiss is as light as a feature, as innocent as childhood’s first love. His lips are lingering on my lips for a short while and he gingerly pulls away.

He his lower lip and says. “I should’ve done it a long time ago.”

I let out a fit of coughs and cover my face with a blanket. Yeosang is now possessed by his demon side. I scream in my throat and try to calm my hammering heart. How dare he abuse a sick person! Now I feel like I’m going to explode.

I stay under the blanket until I run out of fresh air so I peak outside the blanket, seeing him cast downward with a melancholy expression.

Afraid that he might have misunderstood that I hated the kiss, I blurted out, “T-thanks.”

Yeosang looks at me blankly, then he lets out a hearty laugh. Bashfulness crashes over me, I cover my face again, cursing at my stupid mouth. His laugh continues to haunt my consciousness. He takes a full minute to calm down, then he pulls my blanket down.

“I love you.” He smiles genuinely, making my heart painfully skips a beat. “It’d be a lie if I say I don’t want your heart. But now I’m content that I’m able to reveal my feelings. And all I want is for you to be healthy and happy.”

My feelings mix together and I have no idea what to feel. My chest weighs heavily like it’s anchored under the deepest part of the sea, at the same time my heart soars up into the sky. My tears well up in my eyes, but my mouth stretches into a smile. “Thank…you…”

Yeosang smiles and caresses my cheek. “What to do? I want to kiss you again.”

My tears immediately dissipate. How could he switch from a sweet person to a sly man so fast?

Yeosang leans in again, but this time the door flies open before his mouth meets mine.

“Ohhh lordddd!!” The intruder screams, then she lets out an Oops “I didn’t mean to interrupt but we’re sailing by the purple Star, and the moon slightly turning red. I’ve told that captain mullet and grumpy quartermaster to hurry the up.”

“Thanks, Yeojin.” Yeosang smiles at his sister. Somehow that sweet smile makes Yeojin shudder.

“Erm, well, why do we need to hurry before the moon turns red though?” She ignores him and asks me.

My face fell as I remember the deadline. While I contemplate between telling them the truth or making up a lie, suddenly Yeojin claps her hand. “I got it!”

My heart starts to pound, afraid that she’ll know a glimpse of the truth.

“The purple star might disappear if the moon turns red. That’s why we need to hurry.” She mutters to herself.

Perhaps, I overestimated her.

“Anyway, captain mullet said that we’re sailing at full speed because the wind is in our favor. It seems like luck is still on our side. You’re really our lucky star. From now on I’ll call you Lucky Star.” She pushes Yeosang away to hug me. I return her hug and chuckle at Yeosang’s expression.

He clears his throat at his sister. Knowing her clue, Yeojin pulls away and winks at me. Before she leaves the room, she peers at Yeosang and giggles loudly to herself.

When Yeosang and I are now alone in the room, I close my eyes to brace myself if he asks for another kiss, but it doesn’t come. Instead, the foresty smell reaches my nose. I know immediately what awaits me.

Yeosang helps me sit up before forcing me to drink the green terror. I take a sip and don't hide my distaste. Perhaps this is his revenge for breaking his heart. I seal my mouth tightly as a sign that I don’t want to drink the green liquid, but he looks at me in his demon mode so I obediently drink the entire cup. Surprisingly, the medicine makes my throat less sore.

“You should sleep more.” He says, placing the cup down on a nightstand.

I shake my head and open my eyes widely. I don’t want to sleep and wake up in the dark dimension. I’m going to stay awake until we reach Wonderland.

Shaking his head at my childish action, Yeosang lies down next to me, patting my head gently. He starts singing an off-tune lullaby while staring at me with his twinkling eyes. I stare back at him, confused whether he’s trying to lull me to sleep or keep me awake.

Then I giggle out loud when I realize that pirate Ateez are bad singers and dancers in this realm. They’re completely different people. Should I tell them this new piece of information?

Nah, they’re gonna freak out. Some of the members' reaction might be a bit violent. 

Yeosang stops singing, his face showing slight embarrassment. I shut my mouth and signal him to continue singing. Then he starts humming again.

Somehow exhaustion pulls me into a deep slumber. I startle awake when I hear a dolphin scream from outside the room. The door swing opens and Wooyoung rushes inside, behind him stand Aurora and Yeojin. Bright smiles spread across their faces.

“Yeosang! Little Star!” He pauses to catch his breath while raising his eyebrows at Yeosang and me on the bed, where I have no idea when I end up in Yeosang’s embrace. “I’m not sorry to interrupt because we found Wonderland!!!”