Chapter 55 - Maelstrom

Star Illusion | ATEEZ Pirate AU

(Un)fortunately, Wooyoung’s cheek survived the wrath of my palm because the uninvited guests made a visit to the kitchen.

“Seems like you lot are having fun without me. Can I join?”

A simple yet hair-raising question caught our little group’s attention. We turned our heads to see the captain and quartermaster duo standing in the corridor, causing us to instantly scatter like bees escaping their hive.

That was how 9 of us ended up cramping in one table.

The kitchen is void of other crew as the cook fled to distribute lunch elsewhere. It’s quite funny to witness how the crew react when they step foot inside the kitchen and unanticipatedly meet their captain here. All of them retreat outside faster than lighting.

The atmosphere inside the room is beyond suffocating. No one utter a word, we quietly eat our food and exchange eye contact. Or another word, they all direct their gaze at me.

Hongjoong at the head of the table, scanning each of our faces while sipping on his wine which he brought from his quarter. Without doubt, his sharp gaze lingers on me the longest.

Meanwhile Seonghwa, sitting on the right side of Hongjoong, gives off a what-the-hell-am-I-doing-here vibe. He violently stabs a piece of meat in the plate and doesn't forget to maintain a menacing glare with me.

Seating the opposite of Mr.Grumpy, Yunho, on the other hand, glances at me from time to time while munching on his meat like a squirrel. I have to try my best to not reach my hand to squeeze his puffy cheek.

Next to Yunho and beside me is the fiery red haired master gunner, he busily gives what-is-captain-doing-here look to his crewmates. Jongho who sits the opposite of him, returns him with how-am-I-supposed-to-know glare.

While the playboy first mate wears a hint of playful smile since the duo made an appearance as if he can’t wait for trouble to arise. As he sits the opposite of me, whenever he and I connect our gaze, he winks at me. I don’t understand how he is the same person who spoke wisely the other day.

Yeosang, sitting beside me, thankfully eats his food like a normal human being. Still, he turns to check up on me with a concerned look every minute.

Last but not least, the combatant. San eats his food as stiff as a statue. The fringe covers his eyes but I can feel his burning gaze on me. When he notices that I stare at him, his lips gradually stretch into a chilly smirk. I startle and quickly draw my eyes back to my own plate.

What a nerve-wrecking lunch!

“The meat tastes especially sweet today. Don’t you agree, treasure?” Hongjoong breaks the silence. He compliments the meat even though he barely touches it.

After his cheesy question, the clanking sound of cutlery followed. The boys literally let go of their cutlery to gawk at their captain. Yet Hongjoong ignores how his crew react and continues staring at me with gleaming eyes.

“Ugh, treasure.” Mingi shivers next to me and I can even hear his disdain mumbles.

“Um yea.” I answered although the meat in my mouth suddenly tastes bland. Wooyoung sees my expression and presses his lips into thin lines, stifling giggles.

“Hm,” Hongjoong hums and sip on his wine again. The table then resume its peaceful state. I inwardly sigh. Hongjoong is trying to make our relationship obvious in front of his crew. However it makes me uncomfortable. We’re not even official yet and we can never will be.

After a short moment of silence, Hongjoong decide to break it once again. "But I've tasted something sweeter." He his lower lip and settles the wine glass on the table. Then he averts his gaze to me. “Right, little treasure?”

The whole table choked on their food whilst I almost snorted soup through my nose.

A chair screeches as Seonghwa rises up from his seat "I'm full." He says with a deep scowl on his face. His food was half eaten. Pirates are sensitive with leftover food. For Seonghwa to abandon it, he’s probably at his last straw. He glares at Hongjoong and me before stomping outside the kitchen.

"Ah me too!" Yunho chirps, food full in his mouth. He scurries out of the room after Seonghwa.

"We're also full. " Jongho scans the table and gets up. He signals Mingi to follow him.

"But I'm still hungry." However Mingi doesn’t understand the clue so Jongho grabs a couple of hardtacks and drags the taller man outside.

When the members start leaving, I sense a dark energy surrounding the place. That’s when I decide to escape. “I'll leave too.” I get up from my seat and about to take a step.

"You stay." Hongjoong says brusquely, placing the wine glass on the table. He may act casually but that is just his facade.

My body obediently sits back down even though my soul is howling to leave. A trouble is lurking around the corner and I can feel it in my vein.

Wooyoung leans against his chair, he refuses to leave cause he is not likely to miss the fun. And gladly, Yeosang also stays. He gives me a gentle smile as if to reassure that he’s ready to fight Hongjoong in my place. And San, well, San appears unbothered by the circumstance. But who knows what he thought inside his head.

"My seeress, how’s your prophecy going?" Hongjoong begins with the hardest question that I intend to avoid at all cost.

Yeosang touches my elbow as he notices my uneasiness. I subtly nod at him to tell him that I’m fine. I gulp down guilt that begins to rise when I’m about to lie to Hongjoong. “Sorry, I haven't received any prophecy dreams until now.”

Hongjoong hums, his finger on the glass rim while staring at me. “If you take longer, I’ll start to think that you drag the time to be with me.”

My jaw hangs open. Where did his confidence come from?

“Wha- no, I mean the prophecy appears at divine timing. I can’t force it.” I wanna applaud myself for coming up with that.

“If your divine timing is delayed until it’s too late, then you have to live with us, sea monsters inside the devil's triangle. Even if I’m happy that you can stay with me, that isn’t how I picture it to be like.” Hongjoong accidentally knocks the glass, red wine flows down from the table to the floor. The liquid trail along the ship’s motion, reminding me of blood.

I instantly pale. I never imagine the day Ateez fails to lift the curse. They’ll turn into sea monsters while I'll be stuck with them here. No matter how much I like them, the thought of living with a horde of monsters scaring the daylight out of me. Who knows if they’ll eat me, like literally chew me to my bones.

A warm hand then places on top of my hand.

“I believe that it’ll eventually appear. It could be that you pressure yourself so you miss the prophecy.” Yeosang tries to reassure me. His kindness makes me 100 times guiltier.

Hongjoong clears his throat. He openly glares where Yeosang's hand rests on top of mine. I realize and withdraw my hand to my laps.

"Perhaps you should change the place to sleep. You may get a better premonition or whatever it is."

“Err..” I’m flabbergasted by his suggestion. Who’s gonna tell him that it’s not gonna help even if I change a bedroom.

“Captain” Yeosang furrows his brows. “What are you trying to say?”

“What I meant?” Hongjoong push the empty wine glass away and lean to rest his elbow on the table, eyeing Yeosang. “I just offered her a better room.”

I blink rapidly when I smell something fishy. This crafty Hongjoong isn’t gonna deliver me good news.

“She can pick any room she prefers or…” He trails off, his expression turning slyly that goosebumps raise on my arms. “My quarter.”

Yeosang draws a short breath, his eyes slightly wider. On the other hand, Wooyoung’s mouth forms into an O shape, he peers at his mate beside him who has become a real statue. Surprisingly San remains calm.

“What do you think?” Hongjoong turns to me but I’m too bashful to answer. His shamelessness is limitless. How could he ask me in front of the others?

“Captain, please respect her. She isn’t one of your crew who has to follow your command.” Yeosang responses in my place.

Hongjoong snickers, “Oh that sounds like my command? I did give her an offer. Why are you being so worked up? Surgeon.”

“You’re putting Star into a difficult situation.” Yeosang’s eyes glow with anger.

"Am I?” As well as Hongjoong, his eyes glow dangerously. “I don’t think Star would mind, you should’ve known how she feels about me.”

Hongjoong’s remark caused Yeosang to falter. But it isn’t long until Yeosang retaliates. “Even if she loves you, it doesn’t mean that you can control her.”

Hongjoong scoffs, fiery shone through his eyes.

The cunning captain and the angelic surgeon officially start the glaring war. I glimpse between them and feel migraine erupt in my skull. Hongjoong domineering side is at it again. After I drowned, he became really possessive. Although I tried to remain a distance between us, he didn’t stop displaying his affection in front of his crew as if he knew what I’m trying to do.

At the corner of my vision, the once and peaceful San bends his wooden fork until it snaps into half. In contrast to his mate, Wooyoung smirks so wide that I regret not hitting him when I had a chance.

Thus I kick Wooyoung under the table. It gains his attention as he slightly raises his brow at me.

Help me! I sent him a message through telepathy.

Why should I? His expression conveyed how he thought.

I divert my gaze to San. Your mate is about to lead a mutiny.

Wooyoung let out a soft laugh then he leans forward.

“With all due respect captain, has Star ever admitted her feelings to you?” Wooyoung’s speech caused Hongjoong to scowl at him. I swallow hard, because Wooyoung is right, I never verbally confess to Hongjoong.

“Never, right? And why is that? Does she have someone else in her mind? Why don’t we ask her?” Wooyoung grins from ear to ear.

All of them turn their attention to me.

It was my fault for trusting the obnoxious first mate. He made the situation worse. How am I going to answer that freaky question?!

Cold sweat forms on my forehead. If I admit my feeling for Hongjoong here, his cockiness will soar into outer space. He’ll get the wrong idea that I choose to be with him. And when I leave him it’s gonna be harder for me too. However, If I shut him down, that will equally break my heart. Plus, San and Yeosang don't deserve to get their heartbreak for a second time either.

I shuffle in my seat, refusing to look at any of them.

“Too bad, she couldn’t answer. Doesn't that mean none of you are able to conquer her heart? What a shame.” Wooyoung fake a sigh.

Someone stop him from spouting nonsense. The other guys are too absorbed by Wooyoung’s speech, they’ll over think and act impulsively. Regrettably, the person who has to endure the consequence is me.

“Where does her heart reside? Aren’t you curious? Or the reason why she hell bent on leaving because she has a lover at home!” Seeing darkened expression from his crew, Wooyoung stifles giggles that threaten to fall out of his mouth.

Then he rises to his feet, peering at me. “Let me give you advice, these guys are pirates. They’re so capable of stealing. Beware of your heart little Star. Who knows what they will do to make you stay.” He fake shudders and happily skips outside the kitchen. However he pokes his head inside the room once again. “By the way, forget what I said the other day. I was being er...um, nevermind.”

I scrunch my face. That guy is such a bipolar. One day he was being mischievous and all, and another day he talked like a rational person. Recalling the day he asked me to stay, he sounded so sincere that my heart moved. So does he mean to forget that he used to ask me? Now he wanna kick me away?!

Anyhow I have to deal with the bomb that Wooyoung left to me.

Spine-chilling air permeated in the kitchen once the first mate disappeared.

Their gaze bore holes on me. Do they really think that I have a lover hiding at home?!

“He spoke nonsense. You guys aren’t believing him right?” I laugh to lighten up the mood.

No one answers me. Both Hongjoong and San look like they will join hands to tie me to the mast preventing me from leaving. While Yeosang has an internal battle between the angel and demon side. Hopefully he won’t slip into the darkness.

“Ah!” I shout out of blue. “I suddenly feel dizzy, I think the prophecy is coming. I’ll go to sleep now. Bye!” I quickly bolt outside the kitchen after giving them lame excuse. Hongjoong calls after me but I’m not stupid to stay in that suffocating room.

---

“Seakeeper-nim, please tell me I’m lost.” I wail loudly, no longer care how the crew view me. Apparently I didn't go to sleep but came to the forecastle deck to get a clue from the figurehead.

Yes, I’m talking to the wooden figurehead.

I’m at my dead end. I couldn’t come up with another fake prophecy because it won’t come true. My last hope is the only clue I have which is the author-nim named Seakeeper. I’m so confused with everything in this world, these people, and my heart. What should I do?

“Is that a new way to get a prophecy?”

I turn around and recognize the boatswain. This is the second time that he witnessed me talking to the figurehead. Jongho carries a thick rope on his shoulder, sweat triggers down his face even on a chilly day.

“Yes, I admit it. You can spread rumors about me as much as you want.” I cross my arms and pout, remembering how he used to spread rumors about me.

Jongho chuckles, placing the rope down and striding closer to me.

“Do you need my help to talk with her? I’m quite close to her though.” Jongho smiles and then shouts with his powerful voice. “Hello! Lady Seakeeper, it’s me, your boatswain! My friend here wanna have a little chat with you!”

I laugh and hit his arm. “You're making us look like fools.” However Jongho laughs along with me. Then we proceed to shout to the figure head without caring how much of a clown we are.

Obviously, Seakeeper doesn't answer us back. Well, if she did, I’ll be the first person that swung myself into the sea. After a while, we stop shouting and stare at the calm waves, losing in our own thoughts. I hear Jongho sighs like an old man so I crane my neck to notice his previous bright expression turns gloomy.

“It may be because we deserve to turn into sea monsters.”

“Please don't say that. You guys don’t deserve to be cursed upon.” I panic by his remark.

“It’s true though. We know who we are. What we have done.” A sad smile imprints on his face, contrary to his hardened eyes fix on the blue sea.

“But you guys have changed right?”

“Changed?” Jongho chuckles, facing me. “Do you really have no idea what we will do after lifting the curse?”

My face falters when I realize what kind of life they will carry on.

“Continues doing like we used to do.” Jongho answers. “We are pirates. What else can we do?”

I bite my inner cheek and stare at my feet. Perhaps I was being naive to think that they’ll change.

“I know you’re probably disappointed in us. But it’s our way of living. You may think that our path is dishonourable which I also agree with. However, it’s better than living in a society where people pretend to be good while ting at other people.”

Man that’s deep.

“I’m thankful to you that you accept who we are. It’d be sad to leave you but that’s how things should be. You continue living your life and so we are. Still, I’m glad that our paths cross though.” He smiles genuinely.

“Jongho...” I feel hot at the back of my eyes.

“Alright. No more emotional stuff. I hate it. So your power won't come?” Jongho’s ears turned red. He suddenly changed the topic.

I nod weakly. Oh how I hate lying to them.

“Throw her in the water and we’ll reach Wonderland.” A deep voice cut into our conversation. We turn around and face the stoic quartermaster. The emotion I felt earlier turned sour as soon as I saw him.

“Why would you say that, quartermaster?” Jongho asks, slightly furrows his brows. He steps in between Seonghwa and me. A subtle gesture makes me thank him inside my mind.

“The day ago she fell into the water, we reached the middle of the devil’s triangle. If we throw her again, this time we might reach Wonderland.” Seonghwa taunts me with an evil smirk. I roll my eyes at him. His full time job is to diss me instead of being quartermaster.

“Hmm,” Jongho hums.

“Oh no Jongho you’re not thinking that, aren’t you?” I shake Jongho’s arm. Even though he's the most serious guy on the ship, he has a playful side that I'm wary of.

He chuckles lightly. “Of course not, I’m thinking of the green-eyed creature you saw. It might be associated with our situation somehow.” Jongho grabs his chin while his brain analyzes the information. “Come to think of it, we never encounter any sea beasts like how the tale said.”

I nod, recalling that Ateez is supposed to fight with several monsters inside the deadly area according to the original plot. However, we sailed quite peacefully.

“Do you forget that we encountered Kraken before?” Seonghwa says.

“Noooo!!” We hear a loud cry coming in our direction. “You can’t say Kraken, it’s a curse word.” The red haired man pops out of nowhere to scream into Seonghwa’s poor ears.

“But you said it too.” Wooyoung strides next to Mingi, giving him a judgmental glare.

The taller man clamps his mouth with his giant hand. “I didn’t mean to say Kraken!”

“You said Kraken everytime your mouth opened” Jongho snickers.

“Jongho you said Kraken too.” Wooyoung points out to the younger guy. Jongho presses his mouth together once he realizes he made a mistake.

“For sake, Kraken won’t come out just because you call its name.” Seonghwa grimaces that his crew believe such nonsense superstitious.

“Guys! Stop mentioning Kraken. It’ll come after my !” I ignore Seonghwa’s remark and scream at the guys. I still feel the pain when its tentacle striked into my stomach.

“If the kraken comes, I’ll feed you to it.” Seonghwa turns to scoff at me.

“You can’t feed my best friend to Kraken!” Mingi protests, shielding me away from the cruel quartermaster.

“Stop it! Stop saying Kraken!!!” Wooyoung screams once the word kraken is getting out of hand.

“Did you guys notice that you mention Kraken in every sentence?” Jongho sighs, massaging his temples.

Five of us continue to bicker about the curse word until a blood curdling scream pierce the air.

“Kraken!!!!!”

“Shut up!!” We yell in unison toward that crew. The poor guy, instead of looking at us, points his trembling finger toward the bow direction.

We follow the direction and forget how to breathe.

Far away, a black tentacle rises from the water in its glory.

“Please tell me it’s my illusion.” I say, unconsciously step backward. No one answers me as they are shocked speechless.

Screams and shouts soon fill the entire ship, confirming to me that it’s real.

The side character- I mean the kraken makes a grand comeback!

I cry and turn to the guys, expecting to see their terrifying expressions; however, all I see is devilish expressions.

“All hands on deck!!! Get your weapons!!!” Seonghwa shouts, exuding killing intent. The bell tolls after his command.

“Time to blow your stupid shining head.” Mingi smirks evilly at the kraken before heading toward gun decks. “Lads! Prepare for battle!! This time I’ll be named as the Kraken slayer!!!!” The gunners cheer after their master.

“Come and eat my bullets.” Wooyoung sweeps his hair backward, then fish out pistol from his belt. “We’re having squid for dinner tonight!” Then he runs toward the aft.

“Aye, squid isn’t bad for dinner.” Picking the rope on the ground, Jongho’s darkened expression makes me shiver while he strides toward his subordinates.

More tentacles emerge from the water. Although the kraken doesn't approach the ship, its wild motion creates gigantic waves crashing against the ship. I lose my balance, and end up hugging the closest person.

Unfortunately, that person is the heartless quartermaster.

Seonghwa’s eyes get wide, glaring into my sheepish face. He tightly grips my arm and begins dragging me down from the forecastle.

“Seonghwa, please don’t sacrifice me! I’m not tasty! I haven't taken a bath for ages! The kraken won’t like it!” I wail, pleading with him.

“Idiot, go back to your cabin! Or you’ll become the Kraken food!” Seonghwa scowls, continues dragging me.

I immediately shut up once I realize how stupid I sound and obediately follow him through the chaos.

The storm rapidly gathers above the dark sky. The wind picks up its pace. Thunder roars and the chilly rain soon follows.

Around us the crew run back and forth with weapons in their hands. Some of them have fright written across their faces. The terror from that day still imprints in their mind. And to fight the monster once again is like how a nightmare becomes reality. Regardless of being the notorious pirate king crew, against the legendary monster, they’re just a mere dust against a mountain.

Seonghwa and I reach the main deck when a guy catches our attention. The combatant radiates bloodthirstiness so intense that I shiver under my skin. San carries a long sword in one hand, his dark gaze shifts from the monster to fixate on me.

Seonghwa halts in his tracks. San and he communicates through their eyes and later Seonghwa throws me into San’s direction. I shriek, trying to find my own footing but my body helplessly flies into San’s embrace.

San swiftly catches me with one hand, his left arm circle behind my waist. The light in his eyes burns bright as he stares down at me. He averts his gaze behind me then starts usher me toward a safe place.

As soon as we take a single step, the crew scream once again.

San and I turn around to witness the most terrifying scene in my entire life.

“Maelstrom!!”

The ocean swirls into an enormous whirlpool where Kraken resides in the middle. The ship uncontrollably heads toward the pool.

On the quarter deck, no matter how hard Hongjoong and another helmsman tried to gain control of the ship, it’s no avail. The current is too strong. The sails start to rip apart, and the mainmast creaks every time harsh winds blow against it.

My pupils dilate once the Kraken open its gaping maw, the sharp teeth awaiting for our ship to sail directly into it.

Unconsciously I whimper. Why is fate so cruel? I survived the last time to destine to die again.

A rough hand turns my head away from the horrendous scene. My fright subdues once I turn to meet San’s unyielding gaze. Even in the hopeless situation, he remains calm and collected.

Suddenly an intense dizziness hit me. San catches me before my body hit the floor. He attempts to carry me however, his sturdy posture sway, causing us to tumble on the ground. In a span of a second, San cushioned me from the impact. He let out a soft grunt when I fell on top of him.

“What...is going...on?” I try to stay conscious but darkness is looming before my eyes. San clenches his jaw, struggling to lift both of us up. His effort is futile. We sprawl on the damp cold floor from pouring rain water.

Around us the crews also fall down like dead leaves.

The ship begins to tilt to one side as she heads downward the whirlpool. The gravity pulls our barely conscious bodies to the edge of the ship and some of the crew unfortunately fall overboard. San and I also slither toward the rail, I close my eyes and hug San tightly.

However, the motion stopped. I open my eyes to see that San catches a nearby rope while the other hand holds me tight. His long sword fell into the water.

“San...” Tears gather in my eyes, ready to spill out. We’re getting closer to the awaiting gaping maw. The screeching sound of the kraken is like a mocking laugh of our tragedy.

I crane my neck to look at the hazy figure behind the wheel, he’s still standing, persisting to win against the cruel fate.

Seems like I have to say goodbye to him in this state. I should’ve admitted my feelings in front of him when I had a chance. Now I’ll never be able to say it to him.

I hear another grunt from the man beside me. San’s hand starts bleeding as he carries two people's weight.

“Star.” A raspy voice called my name for the first time. My tears spring out like a broken dam, I bury my face in his torso.

“T-thank you for everything, m-my life savior.” I hiccup between sentences. Before my consciousness slips away, my last thought pops up; If I die in San’s embrace then I have no regret in this life.

---

An uncomfortable feeling clings onto me. My surroundings are warm and damp. My body can’t move as if I am restrained by something.

My eyes flutter open and darkness greets me. I blink several times to adjust my sight to see a line of a person’s face comes into my view. I almost scream out of fright but that person clamps on my mouth.

When my haziness fades away, I remember that the man is my life savior. San gradually let go of my mouth. I notice how we lie on a damp cold floor and in a position that way too intimate for my fragile heart to beat normally.

“C-can you let go of me?” My eyes loop downward to avoid his piercing gaze.

San chuckles instead of moving. That’s when I realize one of his arms uses as a pillow below my head and another hand he used it to cover my mouth so...

I yelp and quickly let go of him, getting into sitting position

How embarrassing! I was the one that clung onto him like a monkey. My arms and legs wrapped around him for dear life.

I cover my flaring cheeks and subtly peer at him. San rises to his feet then he extends his hand for me. I slowly reach out but he immediately grabs my wrist, pulling me up. I crash into his hard body which makes me yelp again.

Hoarse chuckles left his lips. He seems pleased to tease me.

Impulsively, I hit his chest and turn away from mortification. Anyhow, I still feel the heat of his body behind me as he stands way too close.

Ignoring him and trying to calm my heart down, I scan around the area. To my relief, we’re still on the Revenge. The crews are lying unconscious, scattering around the ship. Some of them gain consciousness and start waking the others who still pass out.

“How did we survive?” A rhetorical question left my mouth. The ship rocks mildly on gentle sea waves. The crescent moon hangs in the starless night sky. A complete opposite of a chaotic state a moment ago. The maelstrom and the kraken should’ve sent us into demise, but most of us are fine without visible injuries.

The crew are all confused by the circumstances. They look toward their captain for a certain command. We turn our head toward the quarter deck where Hongjoong stands frozen, staring intently ahead. We follow his eyesight and stop breathing all together.

There’s something in the pitch black water.

Before us, a gigantic object faintly illuminates the sea.

 

It’s an island.

 

 

*:・゚✧*:・゚✧*:・゚✧*:・゚✧*:・゚✧

 

Sorry if this chapter came out kinda rough. I'm a bit hurried to update it before I won't be available for a while. Hope you guys enjoy it ( ˙▿˙ )