Before You Tell Her

How To Win At Love

Chaeyoung noticed that Lisa was still a little spaced out during lunch. She still wouldn't tell her the reason why, which was starting to annoy her.

"Lisa."

"Hmm?"

"What's the matter?"

"Nothing."

Chaeyoung sighed. She decided to get right to the point and ask her directly about what was on her mind on why she was being like this.

"This is about Jennie isn't it?"

Lisa's eyes grew wide, but then her brows furrowed again.

"Lisa, I'm not some stranger, I am your best friend. Talk to me."

Lisa sighed "I think Jen likes another person." She mumbled.

"Who is it?"

"You wouldn't believe me."

"Try me." 

Lisa inhaled deeply. "I think it's Jisoo."

Chaeng cocked an eyebrow "What?"

"See, I told you that you wouldn't believe it."

Chaeng rolled her eyes. "It's not that I don't believe you, but what makes you so sure about that? They aren't even friends. Jennie also likes to keep out of trouble."

"I saw them talking earlier, actually it looked like Jennie was really into her or something. All of this happened before you arrived."

"Oh?"

"Yep, and Jennie was acting all cute and flustered, it was weird. Maybe Jisoo made a move on her? Probably thinking that she's a challenge she can conquer?"

"Well...maybe you're just looking into it too much. Maybe it was just a harmless conversation. Perhaps Jennie was not comfortable talking to her?"

"She looked pretty comfortable to me."

"Lisa, this is Jennie we are talking about. Maybe you are just rushing into conclusions and being jealous over nothing."

"I dunno Chaeng, you weren't there. Plus, you know, Jisoo is known to collect girls here and there."

"And you don't?"

"Yeah, I used to. But I want to be serious with Jennie."

Chaeng's heart felt like it was pinched. She gave a rueful smile.

"I dunno, Jisoo doesn't seem to be like she's actually a bad person."

"And you know that how?"

"She's nice to me, I guess?"

"Wait she talked to you?"

"Yes?"

Lisa's eyes darkened.

"Chaeng, you better be careful, she might have plans for you too."

Chaeyoung scoffed, Lisa was being quite childish about this.

"I highly doubt that, besides I'm not some girl who just easily gives in to someone. You're being quite paranoid about all of this."

Lisa inhaled and looked down.

"I just...I just don't want her hurting you."

Chaeyoung's lips tugged up into a smile. Trust Lisa to do this to her.

"No ones hurting anybody, alright? Let's think this through first."

Lisa nodded, looking away towards another direction.

"Also, I think it's nice that you're actually thinking about getting serious with a girl. I mean, Jennie would be really lucky to have you as her girlfriend."

Lisa turned and stared at her hopefully.

"You think so?"

"Yeah, I'm your best friend, and I know you pretty well. Any girl would be lucky to have you, when you're serious about them of course."

Lisa laughed. It was really nice to hear that after all her sulking about Jennie.

"Well Chaeyoungie, I think that any person would be lucky to have you. You're the most awesome human being I know. You're sweet, kind and funny. If anyone would try to hurt you, trust me, I'd be the first in line to beat them up."

Chaeng smiled. "I'm glad you think of me that way." 

"Well it's true." Lisa said, looking at her square in the eye. "You're also very pretty."

Chaeng tore her gaze away from Lisa and looked down, she swore that she could feel her face redden. 

Dammit Lisa, stop this. My heart can't take it!

"Wait, are you blushing?" Lisa teased. Chaeng felt her face get even hotter.

"Aaah Lisaya! Stop it! It's embarassing!" 

Lisa laughed. "You are so easy to tease, Chaeyoung-ah!"

She slapped her arm and Lisa laughed even harder. Chaeng just pouted. Lisa then smiled and fixed a lose strand of her hair. 

"But I do mean it though." 

"About what?"

"That you're pretty, Chaeng."

She decided to change the subject or else her face might be on fire from all of the blushing it was doing at the moment.

"So, what are you planning to do about Jennie?" 

Lisa looked serious again.

"Well...actually...I had made a decision."

"What would that be?"

Lisa grinned. "I'm going to confess to her later."

"WHAT?!" Chaeng had said that out too loudly that people were looking at her. She smiled at them sheepishly, embarassed by her reaction.

"I mean, are you sure? Isn't it moving too fast?" she whispered.

"I can't let Jisoo take advantage of her. Besides, I think it's about time." 

"You don't know if Jisoo is doing this. Also, what would you do if she rejects you?"

"Then she rejects me. But I am not going to give up on her that easily." 

Chaeng was silent, she could feel Lisa's resolve. Well, it was her fault for suggesting it to her in the first place.

I should be happy for her, but why can't I be? What if Jennie does accept her confession?

She didn't want to think about that. All she could do was support her best friend, even if it kills her inside.

"Well, I can see that you have made up your mind. I wish you all the luck in the world." 

Lisa smiled at her brightly "Thanks for always being there for me, Chaeng. I'm so lucky to have you."

"Yeah, well, who else is going to accept your dumb ."

Lisa laughed again "Yeah, only you, Chaeng. Only you." 

*************************************

Jennie had study hall today together with Chaeyoung. She had noticed that her friend looked quite listless ever since lunch period was over.

It seemed that Lisa, being dense as usual, didn't notice her best friend's change of mood. 

Jennie was not used to Chaeng being all pouty and serious, so she decided to intervene.

"Hey Chaeng, you okay?" Jennie asked.

Chaeng looked at her and smiled "Yeah, I'm fine. There's just...a lot on my mind that's all."

"Want to share to me about what happened?"

"Nah, it's fine, really Jen. Thanks for checking up on me though."

Jennie shrugged, and tried to get back to her studying, but was still bothered by Chaeyoung's mood. She inhaled deeply and asked her the first thing that came into her mind.

"It's about Lisa, isn't it?"

Chaeng's head snapped up, her eyes wide.

Gotcha.

"W-what? What makes you say that?" 

Jennie rolled her eyes.

"Come on Chaeng, I see the way you look at Lisa. It isn't exactly a very best friend type of stare."

Chaeng blushed "Oh my God, am I that obvious?!"

"Well, to me. To the people that know you anway. Except for the dense best friend you're harboring feelings for."

Chaeng covered her face with embarrassment "Gosh, I didn't know."

"It's alright. We really can't control who we fall for." 

Her thoughts then went back to Irene and Seulgi.

Chaeng sighed.

"What did Lisa do now? Or, no, to be more accurate, what did Lisa fail to do?"

"Nothing really."

"Somehow I find that hard to believe. We've been friends for quite sometime now Rosie, you can trust me."

Jennie could sense her friend's hesitation. She was battling with herself whether to tell Jennie or not. Finally, she took a deep breath and looked at her.

"Well, there's this girl that Lisa really likes, and it seems she wants to get serious with her. Although, I want to be happy for her, I really can't be because it hurts too much. But I am trying."

Jennie nodded. 

"Now, Lisa told she will be confessing to this girl soon. I don't want her to be hurt, but at the same time, I don't want the girl to acknowledge her feelings either. It sounds really selfish of me, but I can't help it."

Jennie smiled, "It's good to know that Lisa is actually considering to be serious about a girl for once. But you know, I guess the reason why she hasn't looked at you as more than a friend is because you haven't told her how you felt yet."

Chaeng had a look of panic on her face "Oh no, Jennie. I am definitely not Lisa's type. As much as I want to tell her, I am more scared of losing our friendship."

Jennie scoffed, "If Lisa is truly your best friend, she would understand. Besides, you would never know what will happen afterwards. How would you even know if you're Lisa's type or not without confirming with her?"

"But if she rejects me, it will hurt like hell, and things will get awkward after."

"That is a possibility, but love is about taking risks. I say, confess to Lisa before she tells the girl about how she feels."

"What? Just...just tell her like that?"

"Yes, before she gets a chance to do what she is planning. Trust me on this."

Jennie saw Chaeng think hard about it.

"Look, I know you're scared, and although Lisa is like, the densest person on the planet, I'm pretty sure she won't ruin your friendship just because of that. She adores you too much. Besides, you owe it to yourself. If she rejects you, then, move on. I am sure there are a lot of people who would want to be in Lisa's shoes right now."

Chaeyoung smiled, then inhaled deeply.

"Alright Jen...I'll...I'll go ahead and tell her how I feel before she confesses!"

"Atta girl!" Jen cheered.

"Thank you so much for listening to me."

Jennie smiled "Anytime."

Little did Jennie know that somebody had been listening to their conversation behind them.