The Things I Hate About You

How To Win At Love

Jisoo was stressed.

She finally had her chance to hang out with Chaeyoung and they had fun talking to each other too.

It was a meeting of destiny, of stars colliding, of a love story waiting to happen!

Well, they did almost collide, and thank God it never happened, or their love story would end in tragedy.

But they survived, and that was the important thing!

Fate was finally smiling down upon her.

But despite this happy development, something else was bothering her.

She noticed lately that her thoughts always drifted back to Jennie. It was like the mandu decided to cling inside of her brain as well.

While talking to Chaeng, she was thinking about what she was doing. If she should message her and maybe ask her to hang out later after their talk with Chaeyoung.

But then, without warning, the mandu had messaged her out of nowhere. 

When she viewed it, she was taken by surprise. She had not expected this to happen at all.

It read:

I don't mind you hanging out with my friends, it's totally fine. What's not fine is you lying to me about it when you can just be honest with me. Are you enjoying your time with Chaeyoung now?

Once she finished reading the message, she knew at once that Jennie was inside the diner.

When she had finally spotted the girl and locked gazes with her, she could see the look of pain and betrayal in her eyes.

At that moment, even though she knew she didn't do anything wrong, the fact that she was the cause of that somehow made her feel guilty.

The truth was, she was going to visit her brother today, but when she had an almost accident earlier on the road, she decided it would be fine to check up on him tomorrow and make sure Chae was sent home safely.

She normally went there around Friday, Saturday or Sunday, so it wasn't really a sudden change of schedule.

She had informed Jennie earlier that she had other important stuff to do, and now this happened. 

Jennie had thought she had lied to her.

She sat there, frozen until Chaeng broke her trance.

"Jisoo, go!" she says urgently.

"R-right!"

She stood up immediately and ran after her.

"Jendeukie, wait!"

Jennie had disappeared out the door without a second glance, and once Jisoo was outside, she didn't know which way she went.

Chaeng caught up to her a few seconds later.

"Dammit, that midget moves fast!"

"Jisoo, what happened?"

She swallowed the lump that was starting to form in .

"She thought I was lying to her about why I couldn't go out with her tonight."

Chaeng started to look as stressed as her.

"That means there's a possibility that she's thinking I lied to her too."

"What?"

Chaeyoung sighed. "She also asked me earlier if I wanted to hang out and I told her I had other plans. We need to find her right away so we can explain to her what had happened."

Just great. She definitely did not want Jennie thinking that they were trying to hide something from her.

She immediately went to her motorcycle and handed Chaeng her extra helmet.

"Come on, let's go find her. Any ideas where she might be?"

Chaeng thought about it.

"We can try her house first, it's not too far from here."

"Got it."

Jisoo revved her engine as Chaeng got on. She quickly turned around and headed for Jennie's house.

"You know where it is?"

"Yup."

"Alright."

Jisoo focused herself on the road. Worrying about Jennie and what she was thinking was not safe, but it was still bothering her at the back of her mind.

When they finally got there, Chaeng had rang the doorbell and asked one of their housekeepers if Jennie was around. 

She told them that Jennie was out and she still hadn't come back from her walk.

Jisoo cursed silently.

"Any other ideas?"

Chae nodded. 

They roamed around the city trying to find where she went.

They also tried to reach her cell, but she wasn't answering.

Jisoo had sent her several messages, trying to explain what had happened, but she figured the mandu was ignoring the both of them.

It was getting late and she was starting to worry. She was by herself and they had no idea where to find her.

Jisoo was getting frustrated. She didn't notice that she was driving a little bit faster than usual, she just wanted to find Jennie.

Chaeng had tapped her on the shoulder.

"Jisoo, you're going too fast. Let's stop for a bit, okay?" she says calmly.

"Oh , sorry Chaeng." she said as she slowed down and tried to find a parking spot. 

When they got off, Jisoo started pacing back and forth while trying to reach Jennie's cell.

Chaeyoung was silently observing her as she got the "subscriber could not be reached" message tone again.

She silently cursed at her luck.

Chaeyoung smiled at her.

"Hey, don't worry. I am sure she's safe wherever she is. Come on, sit down for a bit, you look like you need a break. I'll go get us something to drink, alright?"

Jisoo nodded. Chaeyoung then went inside the 7/11 nearby.

She sat down on the edge of the pavement and stared at her phone.

There was still no word from Jennie. 

She didn't know how many missed calls she'd made.

At this point, she didn't care if the girl was mad, she just wanted to make sure that she was safe. It had already been almost two hours and still no word from her.

Maybe they could swing by her house again. She could probably be home by now.

Well, she hoped anyway.

Chaeng finally got back and handed her a steaming cup of hot chocolate. She thanked her as Chaeng sat down beside her and sipped her own cup.

"You know, someone once told me that a cup of hot chocolate would always help lift your mood. So, I hope she wasn't messing around when she decided to tell me this big secret of hers." Chaeyoung told her.

Jisoo looked at her and smiled a bit. Somehow, she had an idea who that person was.

"Yeah, I hope she's right." she says as she took a sip from her own cup.

The heat warmed her body up and it did help her calm down bit.

She guessed Lisa was bound to be right about some things.

"It's nice that you care a lot about Jennie. She has been dealing with some things lately, and it has been awhile since I've seen her really happy."

Jisoo was reminded of the day that Jennie was crying helplessly under the rain.

She never asked about it, and they never had talked about serious things.

Jisoo shrugged.

"I really had no choice in the matter. She somehow bulldozed herself into my life and now here we are."

Chaeyoung giggled.

"The thing is, Jennie isn't the type of person to get close to someone that fast. So trust me when I say, you've also somehow bulldozed into her life too." She says as she sipped her hot chocolate once again.

Jisoo was surprised by this. She didn't know how to feel about that.

Chaeyoung was a good friend of Jennie after all and knew her well, she was not the type to make up stories either.

Why was she so affected by this?

She felt her phone ring and she immediately got it and answered it right away without looking at who was calling.

"Jendeukie!"

She heard the person laugh on the other line.

"That sounds cute and all Jis, but I am not this Jendeukie person you're referring to."

She exhaled, she felt disappointed that it wasn't Jennie who was calling her back.

"Byul?"

"The one and only!"

"What's up? Why are you calling?"

"Well, I need you to head over here at Kai's house. He's having a party and all."

"Sorry Byul, but I am in no mood to party."

"Would you change your mind if I told you that this Jendeukie person is here right now? Actually Solar is watching over her, she's had waaay too many drinks."

"What? She's there?

"That's what I said. Wait a sec."

She heard some muffled talking on the other line and a bit of arguing. Finally, Moonbyul got back to her.

"Well uhm, it seems Solar lost your girl, she's slippery that one. You better get here right away, Soo. I'm kinda worried about her."

"I'll be there."

She dropped the call and looked at Chaeyoung.

"That was Moonbyul. She just told me that Jennie is at Kai's house and apparently she's drunk. We need to get there quick."

"Oh my God."

She immediately got up and threw her cup in the trash. 

She gave the other helmet to Chaeng who gave her Kai's address.

They then sped up over there into the night.

Once they arrived, they were greeted with the loud thumping of party music emanating from Kai's house. It seems the guy was born rich too.

They headed inside the gate.

Once they were finally inside the house itself, they were met with a ton of people who were getting rowdy as the night progressed.

Jisoo tried to find their way inside and thankfully, she was able to spot Moonbyul right away.

"Byul!"

She turned around and grinned widely at Jisoo, it was clear that she was already quite tipsy.

"Jis! My God, I am so glad you're here! Oh, hi Chaeyoung! Didn't know you were with my fine, fine friend here." She said as she winked at Jisoo.

"Uhm, hi too." Chaeyoung answered shyly.

"Where's Jennie?" Jisoo asked.

Moonbyul scratched her head.

"Well, me and Solar are still trying to find her. We don't know where she went off to."

"Maybe we can split up and try and see where she might be? You and Solar can go that way and me and Jisoo can find her over there." Chaeyoung suggested.

Moonbyul pointed a finger at her.

"Good thinking! No wonder Jisoo li-mmfp!"

Jisoo's eyes widenened as she covered Moonbyul's mouth and pushed her towards the other direction.

"Okaaaay, let's focus and try to find Jennie. Let's meet up here afterwards."

Moonbyul grinned again and gave her two thumbs up.

"I'll make sure she's safe!" she yelled at Jisoo and headed off to try and find the girl while dancing to the beat of the music.

Jisoo sighed, that was a close call.

She looked at Chaeng and they both decided to start and find Jennie too.

They had to go through a mass of bodies as they searched the house. Jisoo hoped that nobody was taking advantage of her, she needed to find her right away.

Somewhere near the space where people were dancing, Jisoo noticed someone familiar.

As she nodded to Chaeng, they walked towards that direction when suddenly, someone bumped into Chaeng hard and she accidentally fell into Jisoo's arms. 

They both looked at each other and Jisoo swallowed hard. The girl was definitely gorgeous.

Suddenly, she heard a familiar voice speak up.

"Closer. Even closer, that's way too far for you, Chu."

She let go of Chaeng immediately and looked into the blazing cat eyes of the owner of the voice.

Jennie Kim was standing in front of them, holding a bottle of whiskey. She smirked at them.

"Jendeukie."

"Don't you call me that."

She then walked out of the scene, and Jisoo tried to chase her. 

To Jisoo's dismay, she couldn't find the girl once again. 

Moonbyul was right, she was indeed slippery.

**************************************

Jennie was angry.

More at herself than anyone else.

She was so frustrated. She didn't want this but here she was, feeling so damn hurt at how both her friends looked together in each other's arms.

She drank the bottle she was holding. She wanted to forget these feelings, she wanted them to disappear.

If anything, Jennie felt they were more trouble than they were worth. She didn't ask for this.

But looking into Jisoo's eyes made her go through a flurry of emotions all at once.

Why was she here anyway? Probably to party with Chaeng.

Her vision was getting blurry. She didn't give a damn, she wanted to get faced drunk and enjoy her night and then figure out how to get rid of these stupid emotions.

She was already starting to stumble around until a pair of strong arms caught her when she almost fell down. She looked up and saw the worried face of Kai.

"Hey Jen, you okay?"

Jennie grinned at him.

"Of course! Lit party by the way. Wooooo!" she said as she raised the bottle she was holding.

Kai smiled and pried the bottle off of her hands.

"I think you've had too much to drink."

Jennie pouted.

"Noooo, I think I need more." she said, and started giggling.

"Nope, you've had enough."

"Whatever, mom." she said then slumped her head into his chest. Her world was spinning.

"Come on, I'll let you rest for a bit until you've sobered up enough to head home.

"But I wanna have more fun." she whined.

"You will, but let's take a break for now, okay?"

"You're a party pooper."

Suddenly, she felt someone hold her arm and pull her gently towards their direction. She squinted and saw a pair of heart-shaped lips. For some reason, it made her smile.

"I'll take over from here, Kai." she heard the person say.

"You sure about that?" Kai asked, sounding a little aggressive.

"Yes Kai, she's with us." she heard another voice speak up.

"Alright. Please take care of her."

"We will."

She slumped her head once again into the new person's chest. A familiar scent invaded her nostrils.

"Hmmm...you smell nice." she said while smiling, hugging the person as she did.

"Come on Jendeukie, I'll take you home." 

She frowned.

"But only Jichu calls me Jendeukie, and Jichu is a liar."

"I'm sure Jichu has her reasons."

"I saw her with my own eyes, she could have told me, why didn't she tell me. Stupid Jichu."

"You can tell me all about Jichu later, but for now let's get you home, okay?"

"Okay. But you know, that Jichu. I hate her. I hate that she lied to me. I hate how she's vain and arrogant and how she makes me laugh with her silly jokes. She's so stubborn you know and she teases me a lot. She always calls me mandu when I am not a mandu, then calls me midget when we're the same height! She made me ride her scary motorcycle and laughed when I would close my eyes!"

"Okay..."

"But most of all, you know what I hate about Jichu?"

"What?"

"That even if she is all these things, I hate the fact that I still like her very much."

Then, without warning, her world suddenly turned dark.