Stubborn

How To Win At Love

Jennie headed over to the area where the first aid student volunteers were assigned.

She was limping a bit. It was no surprise to her as she did land on her right foot and twisted it when she had fallen earlier.

She entered into one of the tents and came face to face with Soojoo, who smiled warmly at her.

"Welcome to the first aid station. Is there anything I can help you with?" she asked.

Jennie was silent for a moment, then realized she had not responded yet.

"Uhm yeah, I just need a compression wrap. My right foot is just a bit sore and I still have to do the 100 meter dash relay." she told her.

"Are you sure that is all you need? I can check it for you just to make sure."

"No, I'm fine. I've had these types of sprains before since I dance from time to time."

Soojoo looked at her, then at her foot. It seems she decided not to say anything and gave her the wrap.

"If it's getting painful, please don't hesitate to come back here." 

"Sure." Jennie said simply and headed out. 

She then went to one of the trees and sat down, leaning her back against it. She carefully removed her shoe, and winced when she had finally taken it off.

She could see that her ankle had swollen a bit, and was in fact, quite painful. But she felt she would be fine.

She wasn't lying when she said she had dealt with sprains before.

She wrapped the bandage around her ankle, making sure it was nice and tight, but also loose enough so her foot could breathe. 

Once she had worn her shoe again, she exhaled and stood up, testing her foot to see how it was holding up.

It was still sore, but the pain was manageable now. She felt confident enough to run on it.

She then headed towards the track.

**************************************

Jisoo was trying to walk as fast as she could, but the girl was persistent. She just wanted to leave and be done with this day.

How is she this fast when she is damn limping? She thought to herself.

"Jisoo, you have to do this, please! We don't have a replacement and I'm sure you can run fast. Plus this is all your fault!" the girl called out.

Jisoo stopped and faced her, which had taken the other girl by surprise.

She huffed and looked at her square in the face.

"Look Amber, I'm sorry for what happened, really. It was an accident and I didn't intend for you to be sprained. But I can't replace you for the 100 meter relay."

"You need to, there's no one else more qualified."

"How would you know that?"

"I've seen you run before."

"The answer is no. It's a waste of my time and I don't really give a if we win or not."

"You have to! I wouldn't ask you if it wasn't important!"

Jisoo inhaled, she was getting irritated. Can't this girl take a hint?

"Jisoo!" someone called out and she spun around.

It was Soojoo who walked slowly towards her.

"Soo, Jennie just came into the tent earlier and she was limping. She asked for a compression wrap but I think she's doesn't want to tell me the truth that it is more serious than what she wants me to believe."

"And that is my problem, why?"

"She said she will be running the 100 meter dash relay."

Jisoo softly cursed. Jennie was being damn stubborn.

"Whatever she wants to do with her life, that's on her. And no Amber, I'm not replacing you." she angrily stated and walked out with a huff.

Can't everybody just leave her alone?

**************************************

Jennie was at the starting line. She was going to be the last one who will be given the baton. She inhaled quietly and told herself that she can do this.

Rosé would be the first runner, followed by Yeri, Lisa and finally her. 

You can do this Kim! It's nothing but a little pain. You can do this! She told herself over and over again.

Rosé had won the Kibasen, much to her delight. She had been talking non-stop about the free buffet to everyone who cared to hear.

Jennie just chuckled at this.

She looked at her friend who was fully focused on the task at hand. She was confident they could do this.

The referee was finally at the starting line. All runners were positioned, baton in hand, waiting for the whistle to blow.

The referee put up his hands.

"Okay, runners, get ready. On your mark, set, GO!"

Prrrt!

The runners took off with Rosé leading the pack. She had a smile on her face but wasn't aware that the runner from section C, Bona was catching up fast.

Finally they were neck and neck as Rosé quickly gave the baton to Yeri, who took off right away.

They were still neck and neck with section C, but Yeri was determined to keep up her pace.

Finally, she reached Lisa, who took the baton and made a quick dash.

With her long legs and tenure as a soccer player, it was not surprising that Lisa had the advantage, leaving the next runner of section C in the dust.

They had a tremendous lead, and Jennie was sweating bullets when she waited for her turn.

She was thinking that it was a good thing that Lisa had made sure to generate a big lead, she could at least keep a good pace against her opponent despite her injury.

Finally, Lisa arrived and gave her a wink as she passed over the baton to her. Jennie immediately ran off.

With each step, the pain in her right foot grew. She gritted her teeth as she tried to run as fast as she could.

She must not let her team down.

Goddammit Jennie! You are not a weakling! You can do this! 

Tears began to sting her eyes as the pain became almost unbearable. She was so close to the finish line!

Push yourself goddammit!

She was almost there, she was so close.

But her body could not take it anymore and she stumbled forward, falling into her lane. 

She punched her fist into the ground and then pushed herself up, then started running again. This time she was visibly limping.

The runner from 3C had caught up and passed into the finish line, her classmates cheering her on. 

Jennie still pushed.

Just a bit more.

The runner from A caught up and finished too, and finally the runner from D. 

Jennie finally passed the finish line and her classmates surrounded her, Chaeyoung and Lisa visibly worried about her injury.

"Dammit Jennie, you could have told us that you sprained your ankle!" Lisa told her angrily.

Jennie wanted to cry, she really wanted to win. But she could not let them see how weak she was.

"I'm fine Manoban. I guess I overestimated myself."

"Overestimated? Jen-"

"Lisa." Chaeyoung warned, and grabbed Jennie and put her arm around her shoulder.

"Come on, let's go to the first aid tents." she told Jennie softly. Lisa just huffed and followed the both of them.

"Can you just place me over there? I just want to rest for a bit." Jennie told her while pointing to a secluded area with a lot of trees.

Chaeyoung nodded and headed over there. She helped Jennie sit down in front of a tree.

The three of them were quiet and Jennie grinned at them.

"I'm sorry guys." she told them sincerely.

"It's fine Jennie-yah. The important thing is that you're okay." Chaeyoung told her smiling.

"Same. I'm sorry about earlier, I was just worried." Lisa mumbled.

Jennie smiled at her.

"It's fine. Can you guys please give me some time alone? I just need to close my eyes for a bit."

Chaeyoung understood and nodded, grabbing Lisa's hand.

"We'll come back in a bit."

"Thank you."

When she was sure they were gone, Jennie finally cried. She was so frustrated at herself, she didn't want to let anyone down.

She then felt something being wrapped around her and looked up. 

It was Jisoo, looking at something in another direction, her hands were in her pocket. Her leather jacket was now wrapped around her shoulders.

"That was really stupid, Princess. You could have told me you were injured."

Jennie just kept quiet.

Jisoo sighed then looked at her.

"You did say I owe you one, so I'm doing this."

"What?" she asked, confused.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


"I'm going to win the next race for you."