The Sickness and the Cure

How To Win At Love

A/N: I was so happy when Sour Candy came out! The song is such a bop and it has been so long since we've heard new music from them. Big thanks to Lady Gaga for this collab! Let's hope that YG keeps their word and releases their promised single this June, as well as their full album and Rosé's solo on September. The girls deserves it so much.

Also, I'm sorrybif Ihaven't been able to update lately, but thank you once again for the support guys! Don't worry, we're almost there so hang in there for me alright? The finish line is almost in sight! For now, let's continue supporting our girls! 

*************************************************************

Jennie pouted as she read Irene's message on her phone. Apparently, she couldn't walk with her home as she had an emergency meeting with the student council regarding the upcoming pep rally. Soccer season was about to start after all. 

When she closed her best friend's message, her eyes then drifted towards the unread messages she had with Jisoo. 

The older girl had been trying to reach her for the past few days since she suddenly left her house without any explanation.

She had been itching to respond to them, she couldn't deny she missed spending time with her, and she knew she was being unfair to her since she was trying to avoid her as best as she could.

However, the part of her that was scared about her feelings and what it could mean won her over.

Plus the fact that she had discovered who she really was. 

She couldn't let herself fall for Jisoo, especially when she felt that she might not really take her seriously. 

This is better, right Jennie?

She grimaced. She knew avoiding problems would only make matters worse in the long run, but right now, she didn't want to deal with this.

She decided to start making her way home.

While Jennie was walking, she began to think about everything that had happened. It did stress her out a bit but there was nothing she could do. Too absorbed in her own thoughts, she wasn't aware of the person standing in front of her, until finally she bumped into them.

She looked up and her heart jumped at the sight of that annoying smirk she was trying to avoid for the past week.

Jisoo was standing in front of her, hands inside her black skinny jeans, her red shirt making her skin glow more than usual.

Her raven hair was a bit disheveled, but not in a bad way. You know that look when you just got out of bed? It was kinda like that, but the thing was, she looked so good in it.

It was ridiculous to Jennie how utterly gorgeous she was. 

She swallowed hard, aware of how flustered she was at her presence.

"Hey Jendeuk."

"Hey Jisoo."

"How have you been?"

"I'm fine." she said, holding on tightly to the strap of her backpack.

She breathed in, "Anyway, it was nice seeing you. I'm sorry, I need to go."

She started walking, but then she felt Jisoo tug at her wrist gently, and she couldn't help but stop and turn towards her, avoiding eye contact at all costs.

"Jenduek..."

"What?"

"Are you still mad at me?" 

"No."

"Then why are you avoiding me?"

Jennie pouted.

"I'm not. I'm just...busy."

Jisoo raised her eyebrows.

"That includes being too busy to respond to my calls or messages?"

Jennie groaned.

"Fine, yeah. Maybe I'm still mad at you." she lied, still not looking at her.

She noticed that Jisoo hasn't let go of her hand. She didn't do anything about it either.

Jisoo sighed.

"What can I do so that you won't be mad at me anymore?"

"I...I don't know. I'm still figuring things out. Just give me some time."

"Okay." Jisoo says, with a hint of sadness in her voice.

She felt really guilty after that.

"I'm sorry, Jisoo." 

"You don't have to be sorry. I just...I just miss you I guess." she says sincerely.

Jennie looked at her when she said that, surprised.

Their eyes locked and Jennie could see she was not kidding around. Her brown orbs looked a bit dejected, that it somehow hurt her to see the older girl like that.

Did she have to look like a kicked puppy?

"Well then, it was nice seeing you again, Jendeuk. I'll see you around." she said as she started to turn around.

For some reason, Jennie's body involuntarily moved forward and grabbed her hand.

. Why did I do that? She berated herself.

Jisoo looked at her surprised.

"W-wait."

"Yes?" Jisoo looked at her expectantly.

"Were you headed somewhere?"

"Yes, actually."

"Okay."

It became silent after that. Jisoo was still looking at her.

"Do you want to come along with me?"

Jennie bit her lip. She didn't know what to say to that.

Jisoo smiled. She held Jennie's hand and pulled her along. She didn't protest.

Once they got to her motorcycle, Jisoo let go of her hand and got her extra helmet.

She then put it on Jennie and locked the strap in place. 

"Where are you taking me?" Jennie managed to croak out.

"I want you to meet someone."

*************************************************************

They drove somewhere for about 40 minutes in complete silence, not that it wasn't comfortable.

Jennie was happy enough to be holding on to Jisoo.

She wasn't going to lie, she had missed her badly.

Being able to be in her presence again and take in her scent made Jennie feel safe and secure. She knew she shouldn't, but she couldn't help it. 

Jisoo was both her sickness and her cure.

Finally, she felt Jisoo slow down and turned towards the entrance of what looked like to be some sort of facility.

Jennie looked around and noticed that the place had a lot of trees and shrubs. There was also a working fountain in the middle.

She wondered where they were.

When they  finally stopped, she got down and pulled off her helmet, shyly giving it to Jisoo who strapped it on her motorcycle.

Jisoo looked at her softly. 

"Chu, where are we?" she asked.

"I'll tell you later. Come on, let's go." she says as she intertwines their hands together, which made Jennie's emotions go haywire.

Jennie, you better calm yourself. This is just nothing, okay? Okay?

Jisoo led her inside the white building, where people were quite busy doing their own thing. 

She noticed that there were nurses around and some doctors, aside from the ordinary folk milling about.

She wondered again why Jisoo had taken her here. She did say she wanted her to meet someone.

As they continued to walk, Jisoo seemed to spot someone familiar. She then smiled and waved at a pretty nurse ahead.

Jennie pouted as they walked towards her.

The nurse looked too happy to see Jisoo.

"Hey Soojin!" Jisoo greeted.

"Hi Jisoo! I wasn't expecting you to be this early."

"Yeah well, the important thing is I'm here."

"Of course! It's always nice to see your face around here."

Yes of course, it's very nice for you I bet.

Jennie tried to contain herself from rolling her eyes.

"Oh, whose this pretty girl you brought along with you? Is she your girlfriend?"

Jennie swore she thought she saw Jisoo blush. But she just shrugged it off, it might have just been her imagination.

"Oh, uhm no. This is Jennie, she's a friend of mine from school. Jen, this is Soojin, one of the nurses here."

Soojin smiled at her widely.

"Hi Jennie! It's always nice to see Jisoo bring along people who are important to her. She's usually a bit closed off."

Jennie almost choked on her own saliva when she heard her say she was an important person in Jisoo's life.

"Uh yeah, nice to meet you too." 

"So that means you're still single. Maybe a few years from now, if you still are, I'll invite you out to coffee or something." Soojin said, winking playfully at Jisoo.

Jennie frowned at her remark. 

Jisoo laughed, "Yeah, well, let's see what happens then. Unless I get lucky and the girl I like will actually like me back."

Jennie's eyebrows furrowed.

Wait, she likes someone?

"A girl who won't like you? Impossible."

Jisoo grinned shyly at Soojin's remark. Jennie's good mood started to plummet.

"Yeah well, this one's different, trust me. She likes to play hard to get."

Jennie's heart began to sting. 

Of course, what hope did she have with Jisoo? She probably sees her like a little sister or something. 

She let go of Jisoo's hand and crossed her arms. She wanted to leave, but she didn't know how to get home.

She wondered who was it that Jisoo was referring to.

Soojin gave her a side-eye glance.

"Oh, I'm sure if you just let her know, she'd realize she feels the same way too."

Jisoo shrugged.

"We'll see about that, but first, priorities."

"Of course, I'm sure he's looking forward to seeing you."

Jennie saw Jisoo smile sadly.

"Yeah, I am too."

"Well, I gotta go. I still have a few rounds to make before my shift ends. It was nice meeting you Jennie! Take care of her for me, will you?" Soojin said, this time winking at her and proceeding to walk on ahead.

"Bye Soojin!"

Soojin just gave a wave and headed off.

"Let's go, Jendeuk."

She didn't smile and just followed her. Jisoo looked at her, concerned.

"Are you okay?"

"I'm fine."

Jisoo tried to take her hand again, but she denied it to her.

Jisoo pinched her cheeks, and when did, Jennie glared at her.

The raven-haired girl just smiled at her playfully. She then stopped in front of a door.

Jisoo inhaled and looked at Jennie.

"Well, here goes nothing."

As she opened it, Jennie noticed that the inside of the room was well-lit. It was decorated with fresh flowers and different kinds of posters.

There was a bed and up ahead, a man in all white was standing. He was looking out the window and he didn't seem to notice their presence.

Jisoo looked at Jennie and ushered her inside. She then walked towards the guy and Jennie followed her.

She saw Jisoo hold the guy's hand, who turned around to look at them.

"Jin-oppa, I'm back again. I'm sorry I wasn't able to buy any of your favorite snacks today, but I did bring someone I wanted you to meet." she said, smiling serenely at him.

Jennie noticed that he was just staring blankly at them, as if he didn't have any emotion.

"Oppa, this is Jennie. She's my friend at school, the one that I told you about who looks like an angry kitten and a dumpling at the same time."

Jennie blushed. Jisoo talked about her?

"And Jendeuk, this is Jin, my older brother."

Jin continued to stare at them as if they weren't there. 

"H-hi." Jennie says, unsure.

Jisoo smiled at her.

"Jendeuk, you can just sit over there while I talk with him, if that's alright?"

"Of course, it's fine."

"Thank you."

Jennie then proceeded to sit down on one of the chairs nearby. She observed as Jisoo tried to talk to her brother.

She recalled her mentioning a bit about him, but she never expected that her brother's state was like this.

She wondered what had happened. 

She noticed how similar their features were. Jin was handsome as Jisoo was beautiful, the only thing missing was the spark of life in his eyes, which Jisoo's ones were full of.

Her heart went out to her as she saw her talk softly and patiently with him. She would caress his hair every now and then and then laugh about something she felt would have been funny if she heard it.

As time passed, she felt like an intruder of their privacy. It was the third time she had seen Jisoo so vulnerable. The second when she had her nightmare and the first when they were kids.

She realized then that she had met Jin before, when he was still full of life. She recalled how Jisoo looked up to him and loved him so, and he always brought them her favorite avocado snacks, which Jisoo hated at first, but she forced her into liking them. She smiled at the memory.

She frowned, what had happened to Jin in between? Why did he turn out like this?

Her heart broke as she saw Jisoo lovingly put all her attention on him. This must have been so hard for her, to lose someone while they were still with you.

Jennie clenched her fist. She wanted to hug Jisoo and tell her that even if things were bleak, that she would always be here for her no matter what.

Was it possible to fall even deeper with someone?

After some time, Jisoo looked at her and gave her an eye-smile. 

"Oppa, I'm sorry but I have to go now. I don't want Jendeuk to be bored while waiting, but I promise to see you again tomorrow." she said and kissed him on the cheek.

"You make sure to eat a lot okay? Also, listen to your nurse." she says as she stands up and scratches her head.

"I'm really sorry Jendeuk for making you wait. You must be bored."

Jennie shook her head and smiled at her.

"No, it's fine and I wasn't, I swear." 

Jisoo walked up to her and looked at her.

"Thank you for understanding."

"It's okay, Jisoo."

They looked at each other, Jennie noticing the storm of emotions in the older girls eyes.

Suddenly, she noticed Jin walk up to her and streched out his hands towards her. In his hand was an empty snack bag. He seemed to be looking at her, as if saying to take it. She did.

Jisoo looked as shocked as she was as Jin began to turn around and stare back out the window.

"Oppa.." Jisoo says, dumbfounded.

Jennie looked at the snack bag that Jin gave to her and almost cried when she saw it.

It was her favorite avocado snack. Did he for a moment remember who she was?

Jisoo looked at her.

"H-he has never done that, not since..." she trailed off.

Jennie then walked towards Jin and hugged him.

"Thank you, Jin-oppa." she whispered and then let go, smiling at him. He no longer acknowledged her presence.

Jennie put the snack bag inside her pocket and held Jisoo's hand.

"Let's go?"

Jisoo nodded and walked with her outside. They were both silent.

"He wasn't always like that you know." Jisoo told her.

"I guessed. I could tell you love him very much."

"I do."

Jennie nodded.

To her surprise, Jisoo began to tell her what had happened. She decided to be quiet as she listened to her, walking hand in hand towards the parking lot.

They were still holding hands as the both of them leaned into her motorcycle as Jisoo continued her story. When she was finally done, she exhaled a breath, as if she had finally released something she had been holding out for so long.

Jennie's heart felt so hurt at what had happened to them. No wonder why she had become so different from the girl she used to play with before.

"So that's it. Kinda pathetic, right?"

"It's never pathetic, Chu." she told her, squeezing her hand.

Jisoo then looked at her with so much intensity that she felt she would melt at her gaze.

Jennie's heart pumped crazily when she realized that Jisoo's face was slowly moving in towards her.

She began to close her eyes when suddenly, they stopped as they heard some dogs barking incessently nearby.

Jisoo frowned as she looked over to where the source was.

Jennie spotted a small box near the gate. 

They looked at each other, puzzled and walked towards it.

As they looked inside, they saw two small puppies wagging their tails at them. One looked like a brown fox while the other was a cute white furry pup.

"Awwwe, they look so cute! Why are you guys here?" Jennie said as she picked up the brown pup who barked at her excitedly. 

She looked around, concerned. It looked like somebody had abondoned them. How could anyone be so heartless?

Jisoo took the white one, who her nose affectionately.

"Hey there bud." she greeted.

"It looks like they have been abandoned." Jennie said sadly.

"We can take them inside. I'm sure they will be able to find a safe place for them." Jisoo suggested.

Jennie thought about it for a moment.

"Hey Chu, how about we keep them?"

Jisoo looked at her as if she was crazy.

"Are you sure? I don't know if I am ready to be responsible for a puppy. I can barely keep up with my own life."

"Oh come on, look at them! Don't you just want to love them?"

"I-I mean, of course. But a dog is a huge responsibility." she says a matter of factly.

Jennie pouted at her.

"Please Chu? Can we keep them?" she asked, using her puppy dog eyes.

Jisoo hesitated for a bit and sighed.

"Fine. My mom's gonna have a fit."

"She'll love him! And thank you!" she said happily, wearing her gummy smile.

She looked at the pup.

"Your name is going to be Kuma, since you look like a small bear."

Jisoo laughed.

"He looks like a fox."

"He's a bear when I say so!" Jennie insisted.

"Alright, alright. How about you bud, what shall I name you?"

"You name him after a bear too."

"He doesn't even look remotely like a bear."

"Come on, Chu! So that at least they match! They'll be like bear brothers or something." Jennie whined.

Jisoo look at her skeptically and sighed once more.

"Since this girl insists, your full name shall be Bandalgom, but I'll call you Dalgom for short so that it makes you look fierce."

Jennie grinned.

"Awwe! Hello Dalgom! Kuma is going to be your brother, okay?"

Dalgom barked happily in response.

"Look, he already likes his name!" Jennie said happily.

Jisoo just laughed at her.

"If you say so, Jendeukie."

Jennie then went near her and kissed her on the cheek.

Jisoo looked at her, surprised.

"Uuhm.." Jisoo said, blushing slightly.

"Thank you, Chu."

"For what?"

"For always making me happy."

They stared at each other, letting their eyes speak what words ever couldn't.