When The Heart Breaks, It Doesn't Break Even

How To Win At Love

Jisoo woke up to the shrill sound of her alarm clock.

She groaned and immediately turned it off. She then laid back down and put her pillow on top of her head, closing her eyes once again.

She was about to drift off to sleep when she felt something on her face. She opened one eye and saw Dalgom her awake.

"Ugh, Dalgomie. Leave me alone, I just need five minutes." she groaned.

"Jisoo, you better get up or you'll be late for school." her mom called out as she opened her door.

"Mom, I just need five minutes. Why can't you and Dalgom understand that I need my sleep to be able to complete my plot for world domination?"

Dalgom barked at her.

"Even Dalgom agrees with me that you need to finish highschool first before you begin plotting anything. Come on, or your breakfast might get cold."

"Ugh fine." she said, getting up and slowly stretched her limbs.

"I should put you back in that box." she grumbled at her dog, who happily began running around her room.

She smiled at him. He was cute, she had to admit. Even her mom fell in love with him at first sight and insisted on buying him all the things he needed.

She got up and started getting ready for school.

Once she was done, Jisoo went down to eat her breakfast, with Dalgom trailing along behind her. Her mom had prepared some bacon, eggs and toast. She quickly ate them and gave some bacon to Dalgom.

Her mom looked at her and gave her a teasing stern look.

"You're already starting to spoil him." Dara told her. 

"Me? I wasn't the one being all stressed out about the stuff we needed to buy for him last time. Plus, you always give him treats, he's going to get fat."

Dara pouted.

"He isn't going to get fat. It's what he deserves after being abandoned like that. Don't you agree, Dalgomie?"

Dalgom just tilted his head at her.

"Sure mom." she said, rolling her eyes.

Her mom gasped.

"I did not teach you to be rude, Kim Jisoo! From now on you must work and pay your rent and cook your own meals." 

"You can't mom, you love me too much."

Dara sighed dramatically, "Too much is right. I am so unlucky."

Jisoo laughed.

"Okay mom, whatever you say. Anyway, I have to go, I don't want to be late."

"Be careful and drive safely. I can never understand why you had to get a motorcycle."

"I'll be fine, mom. I love you." Jisoo says while pecking her cheek.

"I love you too, dear."

Jisoo smiled at her mom one last time and ruffled Dalgom's fur before heading outside.

School was a bore to her, as usual. But she had promised herself to do better and not make any more stupid decisions.

The talk of the town lately was the incident between Chaeyoung and Chanyeol in the cafeteria. Apprently, Chanyeol had tried to shame her, but Lisa had come to Chaeng's rescue and put that in his place.

Not only that, it seems that both Chaeyoung and Lisa had worked out their issues and were now officially together.

The fact that it didn't bother her that much when she found out made her realize how superficial her feelings for Chaeyoung had been.

Seulgi was right, she needed to do something about this thing with Jennie.

The problem was, she didn't know where to start.

Also, she was still curious about Chaeyoung's connection with the daisy pin.

Lunchtime finally arrived, and Jisoo was staying at the same table where she and her friends usually ate.

While they were busy eating, she had noticed that Sooyoung was missing.

"Hey, where's Soo?" she asked curiously.

Jisoo observed that her friends started looking at each other. It was a bit suspicious, but she decided not to make a big deal out of it. It was probably nothing.

"She's sick. She contracted the flu and she told me she'll be staying home for a few days." Seulgi said.

Jisoo shrugged.

"Okay, I'll just message her later to check on her."

"She'll like that." Moonbyul said while biting her burger.

As they continued eating, the voices in the cafeteria grew louder. People were looking at a certain direction, and Jisoo followed their line of sight.

Right in front of them came in Lisa, together with Chaeyoung.  Both of them were happily holding hands as a grumpy looking Jennie Kim was following behind them.

She gave a small smile. They looked cute together. She was also quite amused at how done Jennie seemed to be.

"So, I guess Chaesoo is out of the picture. You and Sooyoung owe us, Mo." Moonbyul told her friend.

"Nuh-uh, I don't owe you guys anything. Remember, Jensoo didn't happen."

"That's not how this works."

"Hey, we said either Chaesoo or Jensoo. There was no agreement waht would happen if ever any of them gets another girlfriend...or boyfriend. Besides, who knows, Chaeng might get bored with Lisa. This isn't totally over yet." Momo says, smirking.

"Chaesoo ain't happening, Mo. Have you seen how Chaeng looks at Lisa? Yeah? Nope." Seulgi spoke up.

"Eh."

Moonbyul decided to change the topic.

"So Jisoo, how does it feel that the "love of your life" already got herself a girlfriend?" Moonbyul asked her, using air quotes to emphasize her point.

Jisoo pursed her lips.

"Honestly? I am happy for them."

Momo stopped eating. Moonbyul looked at her as if she was some sort of stranger. Seulgi raised an eyebrow.

"Are you sick by any chance?" Momo asked her, putting her hand on her forehead.

"I-this is weird. I remember how you were so into her. You actually went back a year just for her. Did you forget?" Moonbyul told her incredulously.

"Yes, I do remember."

"I don't get it." Moonbyul stated.

"You finally realized it didn't you?" Seulgi asked her.

"Yeah, I did, and...you were right."

They looked at each other and Seulgi grinned at her.

"About time, Kim."

Momo and Moonbyul looked at the both of them.

"Hey, no fair! Tell us!" Momo said.

"I want to know what happened!" Moonbyul insisted.

Seulgi laughed.

"I'll tell you guys later. Anyway Jis, speaking of the devil." Seulgi informed her while nodding her head towards a certain direction.

Jisoo turned around and saw Jennie facing her, holding her tray shyly.

"Hey Chu, would you mind if I joined you guys? I kinda don't want to play third wheel to the lovebirds over there." she says, looking towards Chaeng and Lisa, who were too busy with each other to notice other people.

"Yeah, there's more than enough space. You don't mind guys right?"

They all shook their heads. 

"Great. Come on, sit down."

Jennie listened to her and took a seat beside Jisoo.

"Thank God, I thought I was going to have to hang out with them while they were still like this. I mean, to be honest, I am happy for them, but I wish they would tone it down a little, especially when they are with other people." Jennie complained.

"I bet you'd be even worse, seeing how clingy you already are with Jisoo." Seulgi , while pointing a fry at her.

Jennie's face turned beet red.

"N-no I'm not!" she says defensively. All three friends laughed, while Jisoo just smiled cutely at her.

"I'm just kidding, Jen." Seulgi said, winking at her.

Jisoo was about to say something when she felt a hand on her shoulder. She looked up and saw that it was Soojoo.

"Hey Jis! I was looking for you everywhere! I'm glad I finally found you." 

"Oh, hi Joo! Long time no see. What's up?"

Soojoo smiled at her and gave her a box.

"I was cooking some fried chicken for lunch, and I realized I had made one  too many. So, since I know how much you love these, I'm giving the rest to you."

Jisoo's eyes perked up.

"Oh wow! Thanks Joo!"

"No problem. Anyway, I gotta go. I'll see you around." Soojoo said as she waved goodbye to her and her friends.

Jisoo grinned and looked at the box. Free chicken was always something to look forward to. 

She rubbed her hands and was about to open the box when she felt Seulgi nudge at her side. She furrowed her eyebrows and saw her use to point towards Jennie.

Jisoo looked at her and saw the mandu frowning heavily at her food.

She was puzzled, but she didn't want Jennie to feel left out at their table.

"Hey Jendeuk, is everything okay?"

"Yes." she said, and Jisoo saw her sigh.

"What's the matter?"

"Nothing, I'm fine. Anyway, I just realized, I'm not really that hungry. I'll just...try and find Irene. I'll see you later. I'm sorry guys." she says as she stood up, took her bag and walked away, leaving Jisoo with hanging open.

All three of her friends laughed.

"Oh my God, how dense can you be?" Seulgi said, shaking her head.

"But...I don't understand. What did I do wrong?"

Moonbyul rolled her eyes.

"Nevermind that. Go after her you idiot!"

"W-what?"

"Jisoo just go after her! God dude! Hurry up!" Momo says, pulling her up and pushing her towards Jennie's direction.

"Okay, okay, I'm going! Geez." she says as she chases after Jennie. 

As she followed her, she saw her enter the restroom. She quickly went towards that direction.

When she went in, she saw Jennie staring at herself in front of the mirror, her face looked sad and confused.

"Jendeuk." Jisoo called out to her. 

Jennie looked at her wearily and heaved a sigh.

"What are you doing here Jisoo?" she asked.

Jisoo bit her lip.

"To be honest, I don't know. I'm not sure if I did something wrong, but all I know is I hate seeing you so sad."

"I already told you I'm fine."

"It doesn't look like you are." she says as she tries to go near her.

Jennie swallowed.

"Jisoo, can you not, please?"

Jisoo stopped, and looked confused.

"Why, what's wrong?"

Jennie pinched the bridge of her nose. She inhaled and then looked at Jisoo.

"You. You are what's wrong."

Jisoo got taken aback by what she said.

"W-w-what?" she spluttered.

Jennie gritted her teeth.

"You are what's wrong because I can't stand being around you."

Jisoo felt like a rock had fallen into the pit of her stomach.

"I don't understand..." she says helplessly.

Jennie stared into Jisoo's eyes, she could see the conflicting emotions within them, as if she was at war with herself. Finally, Jennie breathed in heavily and clenched her fists.

"Jisoo...I can't stand being around you because...because everytime you're there, I don't want to leave."

Wait, what?

"I hate it when I can't control these emotions. I absolutely enjoy spending time with you, but at the same time, I hate it. Because I notice that you've got all these girls hanging around you and all I could think of is that I am probably just a number to you if it goes further than that. Yes, we're friends, but I realize that I don't only see you as one and that can be problematic." 

Jisoo was too shocked to say anything at that moment.

"And now, I have officially ed myself over by telling you this. I just couldn't take it anymore, pretending I don't feel anything when I obviously do. I hate it that I really like you so much that it hurts." Jennie tells her while looking into her eyes.

She could see the sincerity and desperation within them.

Although she wanted to say something, Jisoo was frozen on the spot. Her mind was trying to process everything at once that she swore her brain was short circuiting from trying to cope up with what was happening.

Jennie likes me? Jennie really like LIKES me?

Jennie gave her a humorless grin, and then looked down at the floor.

"I know you're not the type to look for anything serious, but I don't want to be just another notch on your bedpost either. I don't want to impose something that you feel you don't want. If that is all there is, I guess it's best that we stay away from each other." Jennie says, eyes b with tears as Jisoo continued to stare at her, obviously too dumbstruck to do anything.

"Anyway, thank you for listening, as always and...and thank you...for everything." she says in closing, and was about to head out when Jisoo stood in front of her.

Jennie looked at her, surprise written all over face.

Jisoo didn't know what to do, but she was only certain about how she felt.

She wanted to tell her everything, all the pent up emotions that were being kept inside of her, but her mind couldn't seem to form a coherent sentence. 

So instead, she did the next best thing that she could think of.

Jisoo looked into her eyes, then cupped both her hands on Jennie's face. She smiled gently at her, then began to move forward to slowly close the gap between them.

As soon as she had captured Jennie's soft lips, adrenaline rushed into her veins. It was as if this was the first time in a long time that she felt truly alive.

If Jisoo could describe it, kissing Jennie was like seeing fireworks for the first time. Awe-inspiring and would leave a lasting impression on you forever.

She had kissed a ton of girls before, and yes, some were really good, but this was in a league of it's own.

Jennie tasted like strawberries, and the kiss held a feeling of tenderness and affection, as if everything wrong in the world didn't matter because this moment felt so right. 

Jisoo didn't want the kiss to end, but she wanted to make sure that Jennie wasn't too overwhelmed with everything at that moment.

She pulled back and gazed at her, Jennie looking quite shocked with the sudden turn of events.

Jisoo grinned at her.

"Chu...I..."

She looked like she was about to have a panic attack. Jisoo quickly held her hands and squeezed them.

"Hey, hey, it's okay."

Jennie looked at her, she seemed unsure of what to do. 

Suddenly, she pulled back, she didn't look calm at all. She looked at Jisoo one more time.

"I-I'm sorry."

She then bumped into her and ran outside.

"Jendeukie! Wait!" 

Jennie didn't turn back.

Jisoo decided not to chase her, she felt that Jennie needed some time to herself.

But it didn't change the fact that it hurt to watch her retreating figure.

**************************************

Jisoo was still feeling sad when school had ended. She was afraid that she might have scared Jennie off.

She sat on one of the benches and stared off into the distance. She should have not kissed Jennie, she knew the girl had an aversion to relationships or anything close to it.

Regardless if she had feelings for Jisoo or not, she should have thought it through. Now she didn't know if her actions destroyed any chance she had with her.

She was still deep in thought when someone sat beside her. Jisoo looked at the person.

"Hey."

"Hey Chaeng."

Chaeyoung smiled at her.

"Need some company?"

"I dunno, not really."

"Your face says otherwise."

Jisoo let out a breath.

"I just have a penchant for making stupid decisions."

Chaeyoung chuckled.

"Don't we all."

"Yeah, but I seem to do it a lot more than most people."

Chaeyoung smiled fondly.

"That actually reminds me of someone I know. Rest assured, just because you think you seem to make these kinds of decisions more than other people, doesn't mean that there's nothing good inside of you."

Jisoo shrugged.

"I dunno."

"I don't think so. More importantly, Jennie doesn't either."

Jennie.

"Yeah, that might not be the case now."

"Why? Did something happen?"

Jisoo contemplated about telling Chaeyoung. She decided she was a person she could trust, she had proven herself time and time again.

"Uhh..well. I kinda...kissed her earlier. She had confessed to me about how she felt, and me, being a couldn't say anything. So I did what I did. After that happened, she ran away. I'm afraid I might have scared her off."

Chaeyoung nodded in understanding.

"I see what you mean. I guess it really might have scared her, Jennie is very wary when it comes to these things after all, so it's understandable why she reacted that way."

"That's why I shouldn't have kissed her."

Chaeyoung wrinkled her eyebrows.

"We don't know that yet, it's too early to tell. Oh, by the way, I am curious about something."

Jisoo looked at her.

"What is it?"

"Are you certain about your feelings for her?"

Jisoo became quiet. She had thought about this for a while, and she was sure of her answer.

"Yes...yes I am."

Chaeyoung smiled.

"Then, show her. Prove to her that you are more than what your reputation says you are. Actions speaks louder than words after all. Jennie by nature doesn't trust easily, so if she can just have something to anchor herself to, she'll decide to finally make that jump."

She knew Chaeng was right.

"You are really excellent at making people feel at ease, do you know that? Lisa is lucky to have you."

Chaeyoung smiled shyly.

"Nooo, not really. I just like to listen to people, that's all."

"You shouldn't sell yourself short."

Chaeyoung just grinned.

She guessed it was time.

"Oh, by the way, do you remember that one time when you were a Freshman and you were talking to someone hidden behind one of the buildings here?"

Chaeng looked at her, puzzled.

"Uh...yeah. Wait, how do you know about that?"

"Well...I was actually the person crying behind that buidling." Jisoo says sheepishly, while rubbing at the back of her neck.

"Oh really?!"

"Yeah, please don't tell anybody."

Chaeyoung laughed.

"Oh my God! I would never have guessed! But of course, I won't, I promise."

"Good, I do trust you on that. Anyway, the reason why I'm telling you this is because for a long time now, I really wanted to ask about that quote you told me. The one about courage. It was something quite familiar to me, so I'm just curious about who had given you that saying."

"Oh that! Yeah, let me see...that quote. Hmm...let me think. I can't seem to recall who it was, but...wait...oh! Oh yeah! It was Jennie."

Jisoo's eyes went wide.

"What?"

"Jennie. It was Jennie Kim, the one person who you can't keep your mind off today."

"Jennie?"

"Yes, Jennie."

Jisoo's heart seemed to stop. She then recalled the day when Jennie had asked her about that daisy pin, and she had ran away. 

. She knew! How could I not have realized that? God I am such an idiot!

She now understood the reason why when she first saw her, she felt something so familiar about her. The reason why she couldn't really quite grasp why being with her felt like home.

She slowly got up.

"Thank you, Chaeng."

"Yeah, no problem."

Jisoo stood there, still dumbstruck about the revelation that Chaeyoung started to worry.

"Jis, you okay?"

"Yeah...I just...I need to find her."

"Okay..."

Jisoo smiled and then hugged Chaeyoung.

"Thank you!"

She ran away, leaving a very confused Chaeng in her wake.

Jisoo searched the corridors for Jennie. She was certain the girl was still here somewhere, she could feel it. She needed to find her. 

As she ran around the building, she bumped into Seulgi, who was very surprised when she saw who it was.

"Hey, hey! Jis, slow down!"

Jisoo's eyes grew wide when she saw that it was her best friend.

She held on to her shoulders and grinned at her.

"Seul! Seul! It's her! It's her!"

"Whoa!, whoa, whoa! Slow down! Are you sure you're not hyperventilating?"

"Seul, listen! It's her!"

"Jesus, can you just take a breath for one second? What do you mean it's her?"

"Jennie...she's the one. The one who gave me the daisy pin!"

Seulgi groaned.

"Jisoo, not this again."

"No, I'm serious this time. Chaeyoung confirmed it when she told me who had given her that quote."

"Jisoo, anyone could have been given that quote."

"I understand what you mean. But I realized, it is really her because when she was staying at my place, she had asked me about it for some reason, and then suddenly ran away when I told her the story."

"Are you going to be obsessed about this again like you were with Chaeng? When you thought you were in love with her because you thought it was her who gave you that pin? Then you accidentally confessed to Jennie instead of her? You even haven't told her about what really happened that day. Now you're going to be all up on her because of that pin?"

"It's not like that."

"Then what is it about then?"

Seulgi and Jisoo spun around when they heard someone else talk.

Jisoo's heart stopped when she saw who it was.

Jennie was looking at the both of them, her eyes were full of hurt and betrayal.

"Jen..." she said as she started to go near her.

Jennie put one of her hands up.

"No Jisoo, don't."

Jennie's lips were trembling, her eyes were now heavy with tears.

"You know what? I know what I did earlier was unfair, I hadn't stopped to think about what you might feel regarding all of this. I wanted to give this a chance, because...because you are important to me. But, damn it, I was right. I was right. I can't trust to give my heart to anyone."

I-Jen...please, let's talk about this."

Jennie shook her head, tears were now starting to cascade down her face. It was the absolute worse feeling for Jisoo, seeing her like this.

"No, I think I've heard enough."

"But..."

"I'm-God I am so stupid. Anyway, congratulations. You are the only person..." she then looked down and smiled sadly, "...well aside from my parents anyway. You are the only person who has succeeded in winning and breaking my heart at the same time."

She looked at Jisoo one last time, and walked away.