The Reason

How To Win At Love

Jisoo raised her hands in the air as she got the Player of the Game once again in Overwatch. Seulgi just rolled her eyes as she watched her best friend do her weird victory dance.

"And THAT'S how you play Hanzo, ." she said as she pointed at her screen. The both of them were hanging out at Seulgi's house.

"Try playing Mercy and get Player of the Game and I will pay for everything you want and more for a year." Seulgi challenged.

"I rather eat paper than play Mercy. I as a healer. It's so difficult. Even in World of Warcraft I tried playing as a Resto Druid and they kept ing about my heals. Like, I wanted to tell them to stop standing in the fire or be an actual tank instead of some fluffy teddy bear monstrosity who's life becomes half with just two hits of the boss! How can I help you stay alive when you can't even mitigate damage right?"

Seulgi looked at her amused, "Well, you HAVE the right attitude for a healer. They are fiery balls of spite. Sooyoung is a perfect example of that."

"Well, unfortunately, I was not built for support roles. Gosh my back hurts."

"Why? You haven't been sleeping right?"

"Nah, it hurts from carrying your sorry with those five games." Jisoo said grinning.

Seulgi threw her pillow at her.

"You are such an !"

Jisoo laughed hysterically at her best friend.

"Damn, you fell for that!"

"Yeah, whatever Kim. You are not having any of my chicken tonight."

"Hey, no fair. I'll tell your mom!"

"Yeah? Try that and you won't have any of my chicken for a lifetime."

"."

"Jerk."

"Kids, language!" Seulgi's mom called out from outside of their room.

"Sorry Mrs. Kang!" Jisoo called out.

"The way you kiss my mom's ."

"And a very fine one at that."

"Ewww! Oh my God, that's my mom you heathen!"

Jisoo laughed some more as Seulgi pretended to vomit.

"I'm just kidding. Anyway, want to play another round?"

"Nah, Irene is beginning to have a tantrum since we started. Perhaps we can play again tomorrow?"

"Whipped."

"Hey, at least I have a girlfriend to take care of me. It's nice to be loved."

"It's also nice to have some independence."

Seulgi raised her eyebrows.

"Oh really? I just think you're a big fat coward. You can't make up your mind about two girls. The first one you say you really like but you can't even make a move on and the second one you say you don't yet you keep looking for her. What is the real score here?"

Jisoo knew this topic was going to come up sooner or later with Seulgi. She guessed she couldn't avoid it now.

"I dunno about two girls."

"So you only like one?"

"Yeah...I mean...I don't know." she says, shrugging.

"So what's the problem? You've been trying to look for Jennie for the past week. Did you guys fight?"

"I really don't know. We were okay at my house after her drunken spree that night and the next second she runs out and never speaks a word to me again."

A crease formed on Seulgi's forehead.

"Did you say anything weird to her?"

Jisoo tried to think.

"Not that I can recall of, no."

"I wouldn't be surprised if you did and you didn't notice it. You can be pretty dense sometimes."

"Wow, thanks for the encouragement."

"All in a day's work."

Jisoo sighed.

"I dunno, I'm getting frustrated on why she wouldn't speak to me. I wish she would just...tell me. I mean, if something's wrong, just say it! I'm not a mind reader."

"You're quite affected for someone who doesn't have feelings for her."

"I really can't say if I do or I don't."

"I think you do know but something is stopping you. Spill."

Jisoo looked down and her lips.

"Come on, Seulgi..."

Her best friend narrowed her eyes at her.

"Jisoo." She warned.

"Alright, alright. The reason is because...it's because Chaeyoung's the one."

Seulgi made a face.

"God, you are such a spaz. I mean, how in the world would you even know that? You just got to know her."

"I mean, Chaeyoung is the one...the one who gave me the daisy pin."

Seulgi sat up.

"No . You're kidding right?"

"I'm not."

"Wait. Holy , now it all makes sense on why you suddenly have this crush on her."

"Yeah."

Seulgi hit her on the back of the head.

"Ouch! The , Kang! What was that for?!"

"For you being a ! Seriously Jisoo, you're one of the most intelligent people I know but when it comes to things like these, it makes me question if you have any at all."

Jisoo gave her a puzzled look.

"Why, what the heck did I do wrong?"

Seulgi facepalmed.

"Oh my God, Jisoo. Do you even really like Chaeng or do you THINK you like her because of a memory?"

"Of course I do!"

Seulgi was not convinced.

"How do you even know it was her?"

"Well..."

Flashback:

Jisoo was squatting down on the ground, her back against the wall behind one of the buildings inside the campus.

Rarely anyone came here and it was the perfect spot for her to hide and just empty out the emotions she couldn't control anymore.

She had seen her brother yesterday, and although she had been visiting him for quite some time now, the fact that he didn't even acknowledge their presence and the way she saw her mom breakdown everytime that happened took a toll on her. 

She didn't know if she could still continue this, it was just too much, and it was all the fault of that bastard who was supposed to be their father.

More like their donor in Jisoo's opinion.

She couldn't hold back the tears anymore. She was scared that she couldn't hold on much longer. Her friends were there for her, and she was thankful. But doing all of this, despite their presence, still felt like she was fighting alone.

Why did her brother have to suffer?

As she let herself cry, she suddenly heard some footsteps nearby. 

She quickly tried to quiet down, she didn't want to be caught bawling her eyes out in school, that would be too embarrassing.

However, everything always never turns out the way you want it too.

She heard the person speak up.

"Hey, uhm, I'm really sorry for bothering you, but are you okay over there?"

Jisoo decided to stay silent. Whoever it was, she was definitely a snoop.

"I'm really sorry, you must have wanted some privacy. I just heard you crying, and I decided to try and see if maybe I could help? You don't have to show your face."

Jisoo sighed.

"No one can help me." she answered, leaning her head on the wall behind her.

"I won't pretend that I know what you're going through, but perhaps, the best thing I can do right now is to help you ease your burden? They say talking to someone you don't know helps."

Jisoo threw a small stone towards the bushes in front of her. This person was definitely persistent. But she guessed it wouldn't hurt to try, especially since this girl doesn't know who she was.

"You know that feeling when you're trapped and you don't know what you're going to do? Like you try everything to make yourself be better, yet you still find yourself stuck in the same spot? That's how I feel."

"It sounds like whatever you're going through is quite heavy. Have you considered that maybe you might be feeling guilty over it? That maybe you couldn't forgive yourself for what has happened?"

Jisoo swallowed. She did feel that way.

"Yeah."

"Because of that, deep inside you feel scared. You're scared to live your life and just be happy because you feel you don't deserve it."

Jisoo sniffed. Fresh tears began to fall on her face.

"I do."

"It must be hard, but I hope you don't forget that you are just human and in time you will understand that most likely it is not your fault. I just remember something that somebody told me not too long ago. You want to know what she said? It might help."

"Yeah, sure."

"She told me that courage is not when you are faced with something and you don't feel fear. It is when you feel fear but you face it anyway. So I know you might be feeling scared to chase your dreams or live your life to the fullest, but the first step is always the hardest. It's okay to feel these things, but don't let it stop you from trying."

Jisoo froze. She suddenly felt a sense of deja vu. That thing about courage and facing your fears was the exact same words she heard when she was also feeling like the world was against her when she was younger. That girl she couldn't quite remember how she looked like, but she could never forget how she made her feel.

The girl who gave her the daisy pin.

She suddenly heard the girl's ringtone.

"Oh, give me a sec, I just need to pick this up."

Jisoo was still not moving or saying anything. She did not know what to do. Was it possible? It couldn't it be her, could it? 

But she said the exact same words at a time she needed them most.

"Hey, I'm really sorry but an emergency came up with my best friend. I really need to go. I hope I have at least made you feel better. Please think about what I said! I gotta run!"

She heard the girls footsteps move away and Jisoo scrambled to get up and turned around the corner to try and stop her.

"Hey, wait!"

She never heard her.

All Jisoo saw was the back of a tall blonde girl running off into the distance.

End of Flashback

"So, that's when I knew that it was her."

Seulgi leaned her head on her hand.

"Have you asked Chaeng if it was her or maybe you're just assuming things?"

"I haven't yet."

"What if it turns out she's not the girl? Are you going to stop liking her then?"

"N-no."

"You sound unsure."

"I mean, I do like Chaeng. She is an amazing person."

"I'm not going to argue with that. However, the problem still stands that you're too focused on the fact that she was the one who gave you the pin. I'll be honest with you Jisoo, because I am your best friend, and you seriously need a reality check. You don't like Chaeng the way you think you do. Instead, you like the idea of her being the girl. That's not how things work. Because of this, you're actually trying to deny your feelings with Jennie, which doesn't make sense. Because I can see how happy you are with her."

"That's not-"

"Oh for the love of-can you stop? It doesn't matter if that person is the one who gave you the pin or not. What matters here Jisoo is if that person standing in front of you is the one you do like because of who they are, not because of some memory that happened long ago. It's possible that she may be the same girl, but your feelings for her aren't what they are. It's not about the pin, it's about if at this moment, like right this second, they are the one that you are scared to lose and who you choose time and time again."

"You don't understand."

"Whatever Jisoo. For someone who cherises that saying, you are doing the opposite of it. A big ing coward."

Jisoo was getting angry, but she couldn't just shout at her inside her house. Instead she took her helmet and stood up.

"I'm going."

"Yeah, do what you do best. Run away from your feelings."

Jisoo stormed out of Seulgi's house and drove off into the mountains.

How dare she? She doesn't know how she feels!

She stopped at the hill where she went to whenever she felt confused or out of it.

She was still quite pissed at Seulgi, but she also knew that her best friend meant well.

She also knew that she did make sense.

For all her bravado, Jisoo knew deep inside she was scared. Scared of what she was feeling because they were coming in too fast and too strong.

It was easier to say she liked Chaeng because it wasn't complicated. She did like her.

But she knew, she didn't like her as much as she did with Jennie.

Jennie who effortlessly came into her life, the same girl who made her just be herself whenever she was around her.

The same girl who she missed badly because she didn't know why she wasn't talking to her.

She looked at her phone and then sent another message to her. She hasn't read them at all and she wasn't sure what to do.

She stayed there for quite sometime, letting her thoughts run inside her head.

Finally, when her stomach began growling, she decided to go back down and grab something to eat. Maybe that will help clear her head.

As she drove down,she noticed someone up ahead walking down the road. She looked oddly familiar, and she found it strange that a person was walking down this road at this time. 

She slowed down and realized with a gasp that it was Chaeyoung. She looked frightened and she seemed to have been crying.

She went towards her and stopped.

She got off her bike and proceeded to walk towards her.

"Chaeyoung? What are you doing here?"

The girl looked at her in fear. She must not recognize her.

She took off her helmet and that's when she saw her expression change to relief and she suddenly broke down in front of Jisoo.

The older girl felt so worried that she tried her best to help her calm down.

When she seemed to feel better, she told Jisoo that Chanyeol had left her here.

Anger had started to stir in her heart, she hoped the guy didn't do anything stupid towards her.

When Chaeng confirmed nothing really bad happened, Jisoo felt a little better and offered to take the girl home.

When Jisoo confirmed that she was safe inside, she decided.

She was going to ask Chaeyoung about the pin.

She also decided she was going to do something about what she was feeling towards Jennie.