To The Limit

How To Win At Love

Jisoo closed her eyes as she knocked her head on her palms several times.

Why am I doing this? She asked herself.

She felt like an idiot, she didn't have to do the second round of the 100m dash relay.

Yet, here she was, at the track, waiting for the whole thing to start. 

Even Amber was taken by surprise when she asked if she still wanted her to take her place.

Seeing Jennie run the race and then cry afterwards made her feel very guilty. She knew Jennie got injured because she made sure the beret wouldn't fall off.

She also knew that because of what had happened in the race, their section's spot had gone down to second, and they needed a win to get back in the game.

But still, I didn't ask her to run that damn race. She is so stubborn! 

Jisoo huffed as she thought about it. 

She was also quite worried, not about the race itself, but the fact that the beret she's wearing will be blown off when it's her turn to run.

I must keep a steady pace. Just fast enough to be ahead, but not slow enough to let my opponents catch up.

She nodded, her plan felt foolproof. Besides, their team was quite strong with Nayeon, Wendy and Sana joining in.

All three of them were athletes. Nayeon played volleyball, Wendy badminton and Sana was part of their soccer team.

She also asked them to have her run last, which they all agreed to. 

She felt the three of them will gain a big enough advantage and she can then just take it easy when her turn comes.

She suddenly heard a lot of noise from somewhere near the track. She turned around and to her horror, she saw her friends carrying makeshift signs with her name on it, cheering her on.

"Wooooh! Go Jisoo! We love you!" they shouted, even making a wave and sending her flying kisses. 

She heard some of the Juniors laugh and even point at her.

Jisoo face-palmed and turned away from them, embarrassed.

Jisoo wondered how they knew she would be running. 

She sighed, she really needed to find normal friends.

The referee was now calling out the runners. She took her spot and made sure the beret was tucked firmly on her head.

She wished she had some sort of pin or needle to keep it in place but she had no time.

The runners took their places. Wendy would be the first, followed by Sana, Nayeon and finally, her.

The referee called out the signal, Wendy looked ready, and finally, the whistle was blown and they were off!

Wendy shot through the track like a bullet and gained a good lead among the runners. Jisoo took this as a good sign.

If this pace keeps up, I don't need to exert much effort on this. She smirked. Things were finally going her way.

Wendy reached Sana who immediately grabbed the baton and started running. What she wasn't aware of was that a runner from 3D was slowly gaining in on her. 

Despite this, Jisoo still felt confident, she just needed to put all her faith on Nayeon.

Once Sana reached the next mark, section 3D was already closing in. Nayeon grabbed the baton and immediately dashed forward without looking back.

Unfortunately, 3Ds runners were quite powerful as well. Nayeon's opponent was Dahyun, who was part of the school's softball team, and she had no trouble catching up, finally gaining a bit of a lead against their section.

Jisoo cursed. This meant she had to really go ahead and exert that much effort on this race.

She internally cried and hoped against hope that her beret wouldn't leave her head.

Dahyun reached Chaeyoung, another member of the softball team, and a known sprinter at that.

Jisoo sighed, of all the people she had to go against, it had to be someone named Chaeyoung too. It was as if the world was against their love.

Nayeon quickly reached Jisoo who swiftly took the baton and ran to try and catch up with the second Chaeyoung, who was not as cute or good looking as the original according to her opinion.

Maybe I can just keep up with this pace and win second. Second is not bad, besides, we still have two more rounds for the boys relay. She thought.

Yeah, that wasn't a bad idea? Why put her hair in danger when she can just chill?

Suddenly, Jennie's face swam into her mind. 

Flashback:

"I'm going to win the next race for you."

Jennie looked at her, visibly confused.

"What? I don't understand."

Jisoo took a deep breath and scratched at the back of her head.

"I had accidentally injured Amber when I hit her shins, and she asked me to be her replacement. Since I owe you one for what happened earlier, I'll go ahead and run this stupid race since our section was not able to place at the top because of what happened."

"You know you don't have to."

"I know, but I will. This makes us even now."

Jennie looked at her, which made her feel a bit uncomfortable.

"I really don't get you sometimes. You care, then you don't."

"I just do what I think is best for myself Princess, and I want to make sure that I don't owe you anything."

"Okay."

"Well, I better get going now."

Jisoo started walking out, when Jennie called her.

"Jisoo!"

She turned around.

"Yeah?"

"Thank you." she said, smiling serenely at her.

Her heart skipped a beat once more.

Jisoo turned back around and gave her a wave to acknowledge her.

She just knew one thing: Jennie Kim was bad for her health.

End of Flashback

Grrrrrrr!

Guilt washed over her. She wanted to ignore it but she couldn't.

For 's sake. Fine

She was confident she could catch up to Chaeyoung, Amber was right. She used to run when she was in middle school, and was part of their school's track team.

Wait! If I could run fast enough, maybe I would be able to stop the beret from falling off once I get to the finish line!

So Jisoo decided to run with all her might, catching up quickly to the other girl, who was quite surprised when she saw that Jisoo was already not far behind.

Come on! Come on! Come on!

She was already neck and neck with Chaeyoung who tried to run even faster.

Jisoo could feel the beret slowly leaving her head. She pushed with all her might as she saw the finish line in front of her.

She finally took the lead and as she crossed the finish line to the delight of her classmates, her beret went flying off into the wind.

Jisoo's hair was finally exposed to the world, and to her surprise, everyone was hugging her, including her idiot friends.

Not one person remarked about her new choice of hair dye.

And as she looked over to the stands, she saw Jennie Kim, smiling proudly at her.

Maybe some things were worth it after all.