Back to School

C R A S H

Rosie's P.O.V.

 

 

"I'm sorry Babe" Lisa said.

 

Holding my hands, she answered after I asked her to come with me to Australia to meet my parents. I was actually planning to finally introduce her to my family this coming Christmas break but I don't think it will happen coz I didn't expect her to refuse my offer.

 

I pulled my hands and turned my back on her. 

 

"Hey, come on, don't get me wrong babe. It's not that I don't want to meet your parents. It just.. I just made a promise to.. to.." 

 

She stattered so I turn around to face her then I cut her off. 

 

"To Jennie? Tell me. You already made a promise to Jennie? Am I right?" I asked, trying to sound calm as much as I can. 

 

She nod her head.

 

I knew it. I nod my head in response and I forced myself to smile. Maybe I should learn to accept now that I will always have to share Lisa's time and attention with Jennie, that I will always be her second priority. I don't want to feel this way but I can't help it. 

 

"Hey don't be mad. You know Jennie has no other family to celebrate Christmas with, right? Please understand, babe. Besides, we still have plenty of time for me to meet your parents. Please? Please?" she begged pouting her lips. 

 

Her eyes were pleading and I hate myself because I always gave in everytime she does that. So, I heave a deep sigh, "Fine" I surrendered.

 

Her face lit up and her beautiful lips curved into a smile then she moved closer to me and smashed her lips to mine. 

 

"Thank you for understanding baby. I love you" she titter after breaking the kiss. 

 

I cupped her cheeks with my hands and pulled her again to claim her lips once more. I admit I'm addicted to it. We shared a hot and intimate kiss inside her car before I speak. "Be thankful, I love you" 

 

She smiled, "Thank you" 

------

 

After a month...

 

 

Jennie's P.O.V. 

 

"Hey will you please stop walking back and forth? I'm starting to get dizzy!" Lisa complained. 

 

I stopped walking and sat beside her. She's busy playing video games. I looked at her thinking if I should tell her now or not. I've been thinking about this the whole Christmas vacation yet I haven't convinced myself to go. Lisa noticed that I wasn't feeling at ease so, she stopped playing and turned her attention to me.

 

"Hey my Mandu? What's the matter? Are you sick?" she questioned me then she put her hand on my forehead to check on my temperature.

 

I shook my head, "I'm not sick" 

 

"Then why are you like that? Is something happen?" she asked wearing a worried  expression on her face. 

 

I heave a sigh, "Lisa I think I'm ready" 

 

She blinked twice, "Ready for what?" 

 

I looked at her straight in her brown orbs before I answered. 

 

"To go back to school?" 

 

Her face lit up, her eyes widened and a huge grin creeps out from . I bet she's really happy about my news coz she's been bugging me about this ever since we went back home after meeting Rosie for the first time. I chuckle at her precious reaction. 

 

"Are you serious?" she asked still couldn't believe what I have said. 

 

I nod my head and heave a deep sigh. 

 

"I don't know if I am really ready about this, but I want to give it a try even though I'm scared. I want to live a normal life. Besides, I am sick and tired of this trauma! I'm tired staying at home. I want to live without fearing anything, I want to experience what other teenagers are experiencing and I want to live my life. I don't want to be a prisoner of my past anymore, and I want to experience.... love" I said smiling shyly. 

 

Lisa grabbed both of my hands and look straight into my eyes and smiled.

 

"You don't have to be afraid, Jen. You know I'll always be here for you. You know I won't let anyone hurt you, right? Like what I've said to you before, they have to go through me first before they can even touch you. I always got your back remember? I will always be here, even though you don't want me to be here anymore. You have to endure me, this face, coz I will never, ever, leave your side, I promise" 

 

My heart felt assured with what she said. I know she never breaks her promises. That she's a woman of words and I believe her because there's no single promise she didn't fulfill. We've been through a lot together, good and bad, but we never leave each other's side and I am so thankful that I have her in my life. If not because of her, maybe I am still leaving with the memories of my past. 

 

"Thank you Lis for everything" I sincerely uttered but I was startled when she suddenly stood up, pulled and lifted me up. She turn around carrying me in her arms while shouting like crazy. 

 

"YES! FINALLY!! WOOHOOOO!!!!" she shouted.

 

I laughed at her antics when suddenly the door swung open revealing Jisoo and Uncle Josh. It is evident on their faces that they hurried their way to be here. 

 

"What is happening here? I think I heard someone shouting?" Uncle Josh asked panting really hard. 

 

"I heard that too! Are you guys fighting again?" Jisoo butted in while catching her breath. I bet they both run all the way up here just to check on us.

 

Lisa put me down and we both chuckle seeing Jisoo and Uncle's worried faces. 

 

Lisa shooked her head. "I have a big in news for you guys!" she announced with a huge grin on her face. 

 

Uncle Josh and Jisoo remained silent waiting for  Lisa's big announcement. 

 

"Jennie's going back to school" she reported while putting her arm on my shoulders.

 

Uncle Josh and Jisoo both furrowed their brows before they turn their gaze on me. 

 

"Really?" Jisoo's said with eyes wide open.

 

I saw how my Uncle and Jisoo's mouth went agape. I know they couldn't believe Lisa's announcement, so, I nod confirming everything that she said. Then suddenly, Uncle Josh come to me and talked.

 

"Seriously Princess? This isn't a joke right? You're not pranking us right?" Uncle uttered holding me on both arms. 

 

I shook my head and show him my gummy smile then I was startled when he hugged me tight and I heard him sniff. 

 

"Uncle are you crying?" I asked caressing his back. 

 

He pulled out from the hug and he tried to hide his face but he failed coz we already saw him swiping his tears away. 

 

"Awwwwww... My Uncle is crying. Please Uncle don't cry" I pouted my lips. 

 

This is the first time I saw him cry. Even when my Mom and Dad died, I never saw him shed even one single drop of tear. That's how strong he is. That's why it felt odd seeing him cry because of the news that I'm coming back to school. Seeing him like this makes my heart warm and touched. I can see that he's very happy that finally I'm coming out and trying to live a normal life overcoming the traumatic experience I have. When my parents died, Uncle Josh took over not only for company duties but also the duties of being my father. It is never easy to deal with me during those times but he did everything he can so that I wouldn't feel alone. He treats me like his own and I cannot thank him and Jisoo enough for what they did. They never let me feel that I don't have a family. I know how hard it is for them to deal with my trauma but they never gave up. They never get tired of motivating me and helping me see the brighter side of life and words couldn't express my deepest and sincerest gratitude towards them for standing by my side and fighting along with me. If not because of these three people in front of me, I know I wouldn't be able to surpass all of that s.

 

"I'm just so happy for you Princess. I've been praying for this moment to come and finally, he already answered me" he said. 

 

I bite my cheeks forcing myself not to cry but my emotions and tears betrayed me when it automatically flow down my cheeks. Even me, I didn't know I'll be able to surpass everything that's happened to me. I didn't expect that this day will come. I thought I'll be stuck here for the rest of my life coz I was so afraid to be outside but thanks to these people, I've conquered everything. 

 

Everything went silent. Everybody just wearing a smile on their faces feeling the moment until Lisa break the ice. 

 

"Group hug!!!!" Lisa shouted that made all of us laugh. 

---------

 

 

Lisa's P.O.V.

 

"JEN ARE YOU READY??" I shout behind the door of her bedroom. I tried opening it but it was locked and I don't know the reason why.

 

I'm here on Jennie's house early this morning to fetch her up coz I am in charge of bringing her to school and back since she chose to enrol to the same school as mine, well I actually insisted to be her personal driver and gladly Uncle Josh approved. I am so happy that finally Jennie's not afraid to ride a car anymore but only if it's me, Jisoo, and Uncle Josh who drives, but I'm not complaining. I am just so happy that my bestfriend is now coping up with her trauma coz it took years for her to do this but finally she did so, I promised to myself that I will always be there for her until she fully recovers, even if it meas that I will going to be her chauffeur forever, I don't mind.

 

"JENNIE??" I shouted for the nth time but she's not answering. 

 

Did she change her mind? Oh God! I hope not! 

 

I looked at my watch and it's only 30 minutes left for us. If she didn't come out now, surely we will be late on our first day and I don't want that to happen. I decided to lean my head on the door so I can hear anything from the inside when suddenly the door opened which made me off balance and stumble on the floor. I heard how she laugh at my misery. The audacity! 

 

I furrowed my brows still sitting while caressing my arm that hits the floor, "YAHHHH!!!! WHAT TOOK YOU SO L-----" 

 

I suddenly stopped talking and my mouth hung open when I saw hear wearing our school uniform, letting her brown wavy hair down and.. and.. wearing a make up? Is she wearing a make up? Yes, she is! I'm sure she is!

 

I found myself speechless coz this is the first time I've seen her wearing a make up. I am so used to her bare face, oversize shirts, and messy bun hair. Is this really my bestfriend? I didn't know that this ugly duckling can turn into this beautiful swan. Don't get me wrong, I love my bestfriend, I admit she's pretty and cute, but I didn't know that she can be this beautiful and hot. I know every boys and girls at school will break their necks so I better be a good bodyguard then. 

 

She walked towards me and leaned forward then She lift my chin up to close my mouth. 

 

"You're drooling, Manoban" she teased, chuckling right after she turn her back on me to gather her things on the bed. 


I furrowed my brows and stood up, "You wish Mandu!" 

 

When we reached the living room, we saw Uncle Josh and Jisoo collecting their things on the sofa and when their eyes landed on Jennie they reacted the way I did earlier. I grin coz it's not only me that was shocked on her transformation.

 

"Oh my God Jendeukie! Is that really you? You're so pretty!" Jisoo excitedly said. 

 

Jennie looked at me grinning but I just rolled my eyes at her that made her chuckle. 

 

"Thank you Chu!" 

 

Then we all looked at Uncle Josh whose once again is on the verge of crying. He's really soft when it comes to Jennie. He really loves my best friend, but who wouldn't?

 

Jennie smiled at him and walk towards him to give him a hug.

 

"Thank you Uncle" she uttered. 

 

Uncle Josh nods then he looked at me, "Take care of my princess Lisa. Don't let boys or girls come near her, okay?" 

 

"Okay Uncle! You can count on me with that!" I answered. 

 

Jennie and I bid our goodbye to Jisoo and Uncle Josh. We have to move fast if we don't want to be late. But I have to be careful and talkative so Jennie won't notice the speed coz I don't want her to panic. 

 

I helped her to sit comfortably on the shotgun seat before I run to the driver's seat. I looked at her and saw how she swallowed a lump on indicating that she's nervous. I leaned forward and took her seatbelt on for safety before I talk. 

 

"Don't worry everything will be alright, okay?" I said smiling so she won't feel nervous at all. 

 

She nod her head and I started the engine of my car. I started slow. I need to make a conversation to her now so she won't feel that I'm speeding up. 

 

"You heard what Uncle Josh said? I won't let any guys near you" 

 

She rolled her eyes on me. 

 

"I came there to study not to flirt" she bite back.

 

"I know you don't, but I know they will" I said while stepping on the accelerator. 

 

Luckily, Jennie didn't notice the change of speed coz she's busy on her phone. 

 

"GEEZ!! I MISS MY ROSIE!!!"  I uttered.

 

It has been a month since she visited her family in Australia. Since then we only talked through skype. She just went home yesterday but I wasn't able to fetch her up coz I accompany Jennie on her therapy. I insisted to my Mandu on her session coz Uncle Josh is busy with the company while Jisoo went to the national library to get some related literatures for her thesis. I didn't know that Rosie has been calling me coz I left my phone in my car so I wasn't able to answer her calls. When I returned the call, she said she's already at home. I said I will just go to her house but she said that she's already tired and suggests that we should just meet each other at school. I didn't bother her anymore and just agreed. But I am so excited to see her. I missed her so much, her hugs and her kisses.

 

Jennie looked at me again and rolled her eyes on me. 

 

"Whipped" she said while chuckling. 

 

---

 

I looked at Jennie and I smiled. I couldn't believe I will be able to convince her to comeback to school. I know she have many fears and doubts about this, but I promise I wont let anything bad happen to her. She's too precious to be hurt. I will make sure she will enjoy highschool.

 

"How are you feeling?" I asked. 

 

Her brows furrowed, "I don't know? Excited? Nervous? ... haayss.. Mixed?" 

 

I took her hand, she looked at me and all I can do is give her a smile. 

 

We reached the school in 20 minutes, meaning we still have 10 more minutes to be inside the class. Since it's only 10 minutes remaining, there are no more students on the hallways aside from us, I bet they are already inside their classrooms. Good thing, Jennie took Arts and Design Track which is just across our building which is STEM coz it will be easier for me to look after her. 

 

We were walking hand in hand until we reach room 201 which is her class. Thankfully, their teacher hasn't arrived yet. Like a typical highschool student, the class is very noisy but they went silent when they saw us standing at the doorway. Everybody's eyes landed on Jennie which made my mandu shy and hide behind me. I understand her reaction coz she's not used to it. I look down to her and tap her head to soothed her when a girl shouted her name.

 

"JENNIE!" 

 

I lift my head up and see Irene running towards us. I didn't know they were on the same class together. I smiled at her. Somewhat, I felt at ease  knowing that she'll be with Jennie but my smile automatically fades when I saw Taehyung sitting on the right corner of the classroom. He's grinning like a maniac while looking at Jennie but he straighten himself when he saw me throwing daggers at him.

 

"H.. Hi" Jennie greeted Irene shyly. 

 

Irene smiled widely and pulled Jennie for a hug.

 

"I didn't know you enrolled?" she uttered. 

 

"Well, I did" she shyly smiled back. 

 

"Well, welcome! I am so happy that you're finally back!" she said hugging Jennie one more time.

 

The bell rang and we saw Ms. Dara walking on the hallway.

 

"Good morning ma'am" both Irene and I greeted. 

 

Irene took her seat since their teacher arrived.

 

"Oh. Ms. Manoban? What made you come here?" she asked looking at me then to Jennie. 

 

"I just dropped her here. It's her first time" I explained. 

 

She nods then she looked at Jennie. 

 

"You must be Ms. Kim? The one from our home school program?" she asked Jennie who's still clinging on my arm. 

 

I smiled. I felt like a parent bringing her kid to school for the first time. 

 

"Ye.. Yes Ma'am" 

 

Ms. Dara smiled and took Jennie's hands away from me. 

 


"It's okay. Come on, I'll introduce you to the class. You can go to your class now Ms. Manoban. Thank you" she smiled at me then dragged Jennie inside the classroom. 

 

"It's okay. Call me if you need anything" I whispered before she lets go of my arm. 

 

Jennie glance back at me with a worried expression on her face but I mouthed her 'It's okay. Fighting' then she smiled and nod her head. 

 

I was about to leave but once again my eyes met Teahyung's. I leave him a death glare as a warning. He quickly averted his eyes and return his attention to his friends.

 

---

 

After bringing Jennie to her class, I went straight to the STEM building where our classroom is located which is just across Jennie's after leaving her with Ms. Dara. Good thing our teacher Mr. Hyang is not yet here. I step inside the room and saw Seulgi and Momo on our usual spot which is at the right corner at the back bickering each other. The three of us took the STEM track because all of us are obssessed with cars and we all want to be a mechanic. Me, becuase I want to be an F1 racer someday, Seulgi, becuase they own the biggest automobile dealers here in Korea, and Momo, because she loves collecting cars especially those which are vintage. On the other hand, Jennie took Arts and Design coz she loves fashion as well as Irene while my Baby Rosie is in ABM coz she'll be studying Business to manage their businesses someday. 

 

Seulgi saw me and waved his hand asking me to come to them. 

 

"You're almost late" Seulgi titter.

 

"I walked Jennie to her classroom" I answered after putting my backpack on the chair. 

 

Their brows furrowed, "Jennie? You mean Kim Jennie" they asked in chorus.

 

I nod my head, "Yup! She just right there" I said pointing to the classroom right across us. 

 

Then I continued, "She's taking up fashion design"

 

Their face seemed flustered and I know why. They couldn't believe that Jennie will be back to a normal school. We didn't actually tell them to surprise them. We've been friends since grade school. I introduced them to Jennie along with Irene when I forced Jennie to come with me to our village's playground to play. Thankfully, they easily gets along with each other and became friends eventually but unlike me, they only visited Jennie once ot twice a month when their parents allowed them. 

 

I chuckled at their expressions first before pulling out my phone on my pocket. I looked at the time, 8:10 am and it seems like Mr. Hyang will not be here to meet us today. Since the school handbook says that if the teacher is still not in the class in 15 minutes, it will automatically be considered as no classes. Well, it usually happens every first day of school. If not because of Jennie, maybe I'm still hybernating in my room coz I usually didn't attend first day meetings since the teachers are just orienting us regarding their grading system, expectations, classroom rules, etc, etc.

 

I noticed that Momo is just staring at Jennie's room and I didn't know why. 

 

"Pssst..." I called. 

 

Momo and Seulgi turned their gaze at me and ask, "What?"

 

"What are you looking at?" I asked. 

 

"Nah. Just realized that Jennie and Taehyung are in the same class" she answered without looking at me. 

 

"Yeah they're classmates" 

 

Taehyung is in Art and Design because he's taking up film. Taehyung came from a well known family of Film Directors. They have common subjects their. 

 

Momo moved down from the armchair where she's currently sitting and sat properly on her chair. 

 

She nods. 

 

"Warn her about him and guard Jennie all the time. He might hit on Jennie. You know his reputation here" she said and she's very serious. But I cannot blame her. She's concern with Jennie becuase she's her friend.

 

"I know he's a heartbreaker, but I also know my Nini will not fall on his trap. I won't let that happen anyway" I answered back then turn my gaze on Jennie's classroom. 

 

Taehyung? Huh! I won't even let you come near her. Not my Nini! He should get his dirty hands off my Nini if he wants to live a peaceful life here. I thought to myself.

 

 

 

 


----- 

Let's make it slow...