My Light

C R A S H

"Into the stadium section, on the final lap comes Lisa Manoban!! It's a standing ovation. This was the place where Jaguar scoot that first big result in the history of the Formula E and this is the place that Lisa Manoban really launches herself into being a championship contender through the final quarter one of the most dominant races in the history of the championship, Lisa Manoban wins in Mexico City" 

 

 

Four years have passed since the day that I walked out of our house and live on my own. I couldn't believe that I am one step closer now in achieving my dream. After the night that I beat my step brother's , almost killing him, I never step my foot again into my father's house. Since then, I haven't heard anything from him, that's how mad he is to me, but I always saw them on the news. They're doing fine as well as our businesses. After our high school graduation, I heard that Rosie chose to study in Australia with her parents and Jin left the country to study abroad as well. Living alone at a very young age wasn't easy. I have to work my off just to earn money for a living. My friends offered me help but I refused. I worked as a mechanic at Seulgi's motor shop during the night while I study in the morning. It's not an easy job but I enjoyed it coz I love cars, until one day, I met Mr. Evans. I didn't know he's a part of the Championship-winning Audi Sport BT Schaeffler squad. I save her daughter from a crazy suitor she has who tried to on the street and he's very thankful. He learned that I was working at Seulgi's motor shop when he came there to have his car checked. I was the one who assisted him and he was amazed by how I did my work. He offered me to be part of the squad which I quickly agreed coz it is a dream come true to be part of a champion team even if it's just a pit crew. I became one of the pit crew until Mr. Evans saw me driving one of the cars and said I have potential. From then on, he trained me to become who I am now. Until now, I couldn't believe that I can make it here and soon to compete for the championship. Everything was working well in my life and I couldn't ask for more. 


------


Jennie's P.O.V

 

It's been a month when Lisa and I talked through skype coz we've been both very busy on our schedules. I've been very busy for the Paris fashion week and she is to her race. I tried  calling her but she's not picking up and same thing with her. I always see her messages every morning wishing me to have a good day, but because of the time difference we haven't get the chance to talk to each other. It's either she's on the race track and I am on the runway. Actually, this is the longest time that we haven't talk or seen each other that's why I'm starting to missed her so bad. 

"Jennie have you heard the news?" my manager Jiyong asked me. 

"What news?" I answered while removing my high heels because the show has already ended. 

"Your bestfriend Lisa has won the race" he said while holding his cellphone in his hand. 

"Really?" I asked smiling like widely. 

I am so happy that she won. Atleast our sacrifices of not seeing and talking to each other didn't go to waste. 

Jiyong nod his head and he walked towards me. He hand me his cellphone and my smile went wider when I saw my bestfriend being interviewed by the press. 

"Thank you so much for all the people who supported me all throughout the race. To my coach Mr. Evans, my friends Seulgi and Momo, and to my team thank you for all your hardwork. I really appreciate it.." 

I watched her smile from ear to ear but that made the smile on my face faded when I never heard my name from . Am I not important to her? Did she already forget about me? Maybe I'm not that important after all. 

I was about to give back the phone to Jiyong when Lisa spoke again. So, I pulled back and tend to watch it again. 


"And to the most important person in my life... I dedicate this race for you. You, who never stops supporting me especially those times that I  am losing all the confidence in me, to the person who never stops believing in my capability, to the person who's always nagging me everytime I want to go home and give up everything, to the person who's miles away from me, this race is for you. Thank you for believing in me, thank you for all your sacrifices, for all the support, and thank you for not giving up on me. You are my light who guides me during the darkest days of my life and I know all of these won't be possible if I don't have you in it. I know you're watching this, so I want to take this opportunity to thank you for everything. I'm sorry for the long loss of communication. But I want you to know that I miss you so bad. I hope you are here to celebrate this with me but it's fine. Knowing that you're there watching me and supporting me silently from miles away is enough for me. I can't wait to go back there in Seoul, see you and hig you, Jen. Let's have a drink when I get there" 

"Ms. Manoban who's this Jen that you're talking about? Is she your girlfriend?" the reporter asked her but she never answer and just gave them a beautiful smile. 

The interview ended and there I found myself crying. This monkey is really a sweet talker and she really knows how to flutter my heart but I'm not complaining. 

"I thought you already forget about me" I said to myself. 

My frustration of not talking to her for the whole month fades away when I heard everything she said. It makes me want to ride the plane and go to her now. But wait, why not? The show has ended and I am now free to do whatever I want. 


"Jiyong?" I turn the chair around and look to my manager. 

"Hmm?" 

"Book me a flight to Mexico City now" 

--- 

Lisa's P.O.V

 

I was done reminiscing when I decided to go to the party. Laughters from the crew and loud noises from the vast speakers welcomed me when I entered the hall that Seulgi and Momo rented for the victory party. After long months of practice, hardships, and frustrations, we finally saw what we reap. It hasn't been an easy drive coz it takes time to master every move and every turn before I come into this. 

"Woohoo! Here she is!" Momo raised her glass while walking towards me.

Everyone is here. My coaches, my team, friends, trying to make this celebration complete but it will never be complete because the only person whom I want to be here couldn't come and that ! But what's important is I know that she supports me back in the house. I texted her earlier but there's no response 'til now and I don't know why maybe she's busy. 

"Champion!" Seulgi shouted on the side making her way through the crowd whose forming circles around me congratulating and wearing proud expressions on their faces. 

They took me by the arms and legs lifting me up in the air while I'm holding the trophy in my hands. I shook my head because of their silliness but I couldn't help but smile. I was laughing hard when my eyes landed on a girl wearing an all-black shirt and pants with a gray coat. My eyes went wide when I realized that she's here. The person that I am wanting to see, the person that I missed so much, and the only person I want to share this success with, my best friend, Jennie Kim and she's here in flesh. 


Two years, we haven't seen each other for two years because I went here to Mexico City with Mr. Evans to pursue what I want to do, to make my dream come true, and to race. After the day that we kissed on the beach, we became much closer, we became more intimate, we became more than friends but less than lovers. We never talk about the real score between us and we just let it that way. But it was really hard for me to leave her because we're not used to be away from each other. The first few weeks and months were hell hard because she's not beside me and I missed her presence so bad. We used to talk through video calls and phone calls until we both fell asleep. We've been like that for more than two years and whenever I'm feeling sad and want to go home, she's always reminding me of the purpose why I came here and the reason why I left her. She said I can't go back without the championship trophy in my hand. She's always been my strength and this all for her. I quickly asked them to put me down and I run towards her not minding the bodies I bumped into. I hugged her really tight, lifting her from the ground and spinning our bodies like I always did that made her giggle. 

"God I missed you!" I exclaimed showering her with kisses all over her face after I put her down.

We didn't talk for almost a month now because we've been both very busy. I on my practice and she on her modeling career. Yes, Jennie is now a successful model and Chanel's brand ambassador. She travels a lot from places to places. She conquered the fear of height but guess what, she still can't watch me race. She said every time she sees fast cars, the memories of her past came in. She said she never wanted to see me kill myself on the race track but she supports me. Cliche, isn't it?

"Surprise! I can't let this pass. Congratulations monkey!" she s her arms on my nape while showing me her gummy smile.

"You never told me you're here in Mexico," I said pouting my lips trying to act cute in front of her. 

I pulled her outside the hall so I can make her mine all alone. We're standing on the balcony feeling the cool breeze of the wind while watching the streetlights of Mexico City. 

"That's why it's called a surprise" she replied in a most sarcastic way while rolling her eyes on me. 

I laugh. This is what I missed most about her. Her savageness. 

"But honestly, thank you" I said, holding her left hand intertwining my hands to her. 

She smiled and pressed my hand a little in return. This is the best day of my life. I won the race, I'm moving on to the championship, and Jennie is here to celebrate with me. What else can I ask for?