S2 | Family.

Hybrids
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

6 months earlier;

Yeji POV

 

 

"Yeji, Hyunjin, come down please," Mom yelled through the house.

I looked up from my book to the door and sighed. Tzuyu, my other so called mother, was coming home tonight from a two weeks long work relayed travel. Honestly, I would have rather if she not come back at all. But that was just me.

"Are we going?" Daehwi, my three month boyfriend asked from the end of the bed. Daehwi was a warlock and a nerdy guy. We met in school at the beginning of the year.

"Fine," I sighed. I got up and dragged my feet out of my room while Daehwi followed me closely.

"Tell me why you hate your mother again?"

"She's obnoxious, prideful, annoying and two faced with a y attitude. Besides, I don't even think she knows my name." Okay, I was exaggerating a little but I was not going to tell Daehwi that. He had to think the worst of her so he could be ready when they meet and not run away screaming. It had happened once with one of my friends. That was the last time I brought anyone ever through the front door or when Tzuyu was around. The worst part was that she got along with Hyunjin.

My brother Hyunjin and I were sixteen year old twins. Tzuyu found us during one of her missions and brought us with her to get checked out by a doctor three years ago. We were then adopted by them a few days later. I think Sana forced Tzuyu to comply because I would never have pictured the lady who saved us from the streets to raise any children; but she was with three of them.

Hyunjin and I were shape shifters, able to change bodies to anything that is alivewith a simple thought. We had no magic per say but it's not as easy as it looked because the mentality between a dog, a mosquito and a tree were totally different. The dificulty in being a shifter was not to become what we chose our bodies to be. Although, changing appearances was the easiest. I got to choose what I looked like as my neutral body.

We arrived downstairs where Hyunjin and Sana were waiting. Hyunjin raised an eyebrow at me when he saw my foul mood but didn't mention it. He knew I was not on greatest of terms with our Ma, but she always found ways to tick me off.

"Why the frown, beautiful?" Mom said to me as she hooked her arm around my waist considering I was taller than her.

"Yeji is moping because Ma is coming home," Hyunjin snickered.

"Shush, you like her because she brings back gifts from everywhere she comes from," I snarled.

"That among many other things," He grinned which made me scowl.

"Enough you two, you'll have plenty of time to insult each other later," Mom said, "Are you ready to meet my wife, Daehwi?"

"I can't believe I am going to meet Tzuyu Ettore, Mrs. Minatozaki. She's one of the best Huntresses in the world," Daehwi gulped. He look like he was going to wet his pants just by saying that. I grabbed his shaking hand and squeezed in for comfort.

"You can call me Sana when we are out of school Daehwi, I'm not your teacher here," Mom said and Daehwi nodded.

"What did you tell him about Ma that got him so scared?" Hyunjin whispered as he leaned close to me.

"Nothing that ain't true," I whispered back. My brother rolled his eyes.

"Relax Daehwi, Ma is not as bad as they say," He said to my boyfriend who relaxed a little.

Ma, aka Tzuyu, was a licensed bounty hunter. She tracked down supernatural creatures who fledthe law but everyone knew she took jobs left and right to whomever paid the right amount of money. But all that was on paper. Ma was called a Huntress, not because she hunted and killed animals, but because she hunted and killed supernatural beings. She was an assassin for the Underground and bounty hunter for the Counsel, although not many people knew about the former job. Her extracurricular activities were just rumors of course, but it didn't fail to catch Daehwi's ears.

"Here they come," Sana jumped in excitement which made me roll my eyes. Sometimes she forgot she was the adult here. It was quite sickening at how Mom was so deeply in love with a crazy woman. Even when they explained how they met, I would never understood how Mom stayed with her.

The front door opened and, to my surprise, a small redhead walked in with a grin on her face and a bamboo hat on her head, "Hola chicas!"

"Aunty Mina!" I exclaimed and jumped into her arms. She caught me and hugged me back happily. It was safe to say that Mina was my favorite aunt.

"Hey Yejiya, did you grow again?" She asked as she raised her hand to pat my head. Her head tilted a bit upward but her eyes remained staring forward. Aunty Mina, didn't like taking her sunglasses off because her white eyes always brought questions to people. She was blind and that made her even more awesome because of all the things she could do regardless. She told me once she could see auras and feel the vibrations through the ground which gave her the ability to see something other than darkness.

"Don't I get a hug, Chameleon?" A cocky voice said behind my aunt which made my teeth grind together. I hated it when she called me that.

"Don't call me that," I spat. Ma raised her hands in the air and smiled sheepishly and turned to my brother.

"Hey, Hyunjin," She said making sure that she pronunced his name slowly to spite me. Hyunjin grinned at her and they did a fist bump where their hands made an explosion movement at the end of the action. Hyunjin taught her to fist bump and it became their greeting since Ma hated being hugged, "I've got something for you."

My aunt chose that time to speak to me before I said something I'd regret.

"So, tell me how is everything?" My aunt said which brought my attention to her instead. I pointed at Daehwi who was uncomfortably moving from one foot to the other. Aunt Mina, who probably already knew he was there, smiled at my nervous boyfriend, "Hello there. I do not think we've had the pleasure to meet."

"H-Hi!" Daehwi stammered. "You m-must be Mina."

"I am. I believe you met my sister Nayeon beforehand?" Mina said to him, "She told me a little about you."

"Y-Yes ma'am!"

"He's cute Yeji, good choice," Aunt Mina chuckled.

"Holly !" I heard my brother yell. I turned my head to his direction and saw that he was holding a sword, "Is that a japanese katana?" He asked.

"Yup, and if you feed it blood and give it a name, the sword will automatically balance itself to your body and movement," Ma said. Hyunjin laughed and unconsciously hugged her tightly. He let go a second later and ran out the back door.

"I think that was a good choice. Where's Naeun?" Ma asked Mom.

"Suzy is bringing her over from kindergarten. She should be here soon; she missed you," Mom said. "Now in the meantime, there is someone you have to meet." She pointed to my direction. Ma looked at me first then passed me to Daehwi. He gluped when she looked at him.

Ma could be scary sometimes. She was always serious and stiff and was the type of person that, with one look, you could tell she was hiding a body in her basement. She had light brown hair, light brown eyes and a scar that ran from her eye, to her cheekbone and finished at the base of her ear.

I hated bringing friends or boyfriends over because Ma always scarred them off. It was like a hobby for her to make my life miserable and I was sure Daehwi wouldn't be different.

"Chewie, this is Daehwi. Daehwi, meet my Ma, Chewie," I said and smirked, "But don't call her that, she hates it," Okay, I may not be a saint either but she always got me on my nerves and made me lash out.

"Daehwi," Ma drawled and smiled, "Welcome."

And with that, she turned around and kissed Mom in front of us. My jaw dropped in surprise. She has never done that before which made me skeptical.

"That's it?" I said, "No snarky remarks? No nothing?"

"Who do you think I am? George Skeleton?" She asked with a frown. I knew she was pulling my buttons.

"It's Jack Skellington, Ma. We watched that movie last week," I said not so warmly.

Before she could say anything else, the door opened and Grandma Suzy walked in. Beside her was an adorable three year old girl with brown hair. She also had one blue eye and one brown eye.

"Mama!" The girl squealed and ran towards Tzuyu, who let go of her wife. Ma bent down and picked up the girl to swirl her around in the air.

"Hey, little Berry," M

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter