S1 | Breakdown.

Hybrids
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Mina POV

 

 

The death of Momo caught everyone off guard. The supernatural community made new precautions and added security around the cities and the schools — they now have a curfew before dark which means five in the afternoon because of winter time. Nobody is allowed to walk alone anymore and it was much recommended to be with an adult.

The funeral had taken place yesterday and many people showed up. I couldn't face Momo's parents or Sana. I spent most of the time hiding in my room, blaming myself about the outcome of my friend. When I did get out, I pretended to be strong. I knew I was being selfish because Momo had been Sana's oldest friend and she was taking it better than me. But Momo was my way out. I always wanted to know what it felt like to be a normal teenager; to go out with friends and argue for the simplest things. The succubus had taught me that, but with the past event I was starting to think that maybe I can never be normal.

I was sitting at the dinning table, quietly playing with the leftover food. My family had spread throughout  the house and I could hear their conversation about what was going on. Tzuyu came into the kitchen and sat down in front of me. She had a bag of blood and threw on my plate.

"You need to drink; you're weak from lack of blood."

"I don't drink blood remember?" I told her, "My vampire side is not strong enough for me to rely on it."

"Drink it, you will feel better and you would be able to actually fight when the war starts," She grabbed another bag of blood that was in her pocket and drank half of it in one go. This was the first time that I really hated the way she looked at me; a dull expression as if nothing happened or mattered to her.

"Where's Sana?"

"Stayed with the succubus family I guess," She answered indifferently with a shrug of shoulders. I couldn't take it anymore. I stood up and hit the chair which flew into the opposite wall of the kitchen. I jammed my hands on the table and leaned forward.

"How can you be so indifferent?" I yelled at my sister, "She was your friend!"

Tzuyu was silent for a moment. I could hear my family walking into the kitchen to see the commotion but I ignored them and concentrated on my infuriating sister who was unaffected by my burst of anger. She spoke very quietly and patiently.

"I cannot survive another death Mina, I simply cannot, and I would prefer to lose myself to someone closer to my heart," Her voice was very controlled, "I'm sorry I can't react the way you want me to but, that's how it is."

I whipped my face with my hand and felt bad for my acting. Suddenly, I had grown extremely tired. I looked at her, "Is it going to get better?" I pleaded for good news.

"Death is a permanent scar on the soul, Mina. Think of it as an unwanted trophy. You need to find a container to protect it and keep it from breaking. Then you put the ocntainer on a shelf in your heart and leave it as decoration. Usually, the longer it's there, the smaller the container and the smaller the space in your heart. Or, you can let the trophy break and the shards will shatter in your soul and you'll be forever stuck walking on glass— where are you going?"

"Out, don't wait for me," I said as I passed my aunt on my way through the hallway. I put my coat and walked to the door. I couldn't stay in this house any longer, especially when my family only treats me with sympathy, as if I was fragile.

"You are not allowed to leave," My aunt said, "And I forbid you to go into the Underground. You should not have been exposed to that cave in the first place."

I turned around and looked at her. I knew my eyes were a blazing green but I didn't care about control at this moment, "You are not my Queen aunty JungHee, you have no power here," I walked out of the house without turning around back or listened to the adults call my name and order me to turn around. I have been taking care of myself and Tzuyu for so long, I was not going to let the adults think of me as a child. I became one of them when I was fourteen.

On that thought, I teleported myself to the Underground and made my way to the fight club. I didn't bother to greet anybody and pushed my way though the river of customers to the bar. Chaeyoung was behind the counter and made her way to me once she saw me sit down.

"I thought I told you not to come back here?" She said.

"I'm here to drink Chaeyoung, nothing more."

With hesitation, Chaeyoung rached to grab three glass shots and filled them with whiskey and watched me down one after another. I could feel the alcohol doing it's effect quickly. I sighed and ordered another batch to try drown myself in my misery.

"I don't get it," I burst. Chaeyoung stayed quiet, "Why would she go into the house? That specific house? I mean, what got into her?" Chaeyoung kept quiet as I rambled.

"Luring," She simply said once I was done talking. I looked at her weirdly and she explained, "There is a spell called Luring. It's a powder mix that has the ability to lure someone to a specific place. The only downside is that it is a physical procedure meaning the powder has to be on the target for it to work. Did Momo interact with someone on your date?" Chaeyoung said the word 'date' with a little restraint. I frowned at that but decided to let go and concentrated on that day.

"Someone did bump into her before we went to the house. We were walking out the pastry shop and Momo bumped into some guy who was walking in," I groaned. I couldn't believe something so harmless could turn into something this bad. I took another shot and coughed. The alcohol went down the wrong way.

Chaeyoung gave me a glass of water with a smirk on her face but lost it when she saw something behind me. I turned around only to see Tzuyu and her lover walking towards me. I growled, not wanting to have to deal with them tonight of all nights.

"Heya sister!" I beamed sarca

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter