The one with the Phone Call

High & Low ~ Another World ~ 「Amamiya Brothers」

Author's Note:

Time to time I'm going to add POV of the characters. In that way, they can explain more about their feelings and how they personally underwent some situations and events and how those reflecting in their inner world.

It's about time to make the story a bit more interesting and adventurous.

Disclaimers: All right reserved of the originals "High & Low" Characters, Names, Places, etc to Sigeaki Kubo/ EXILE HIRO/ LDH World/ HI-AX/ enish.


Finally, life had found its regular daily pattern. Now with a new project, she was leaving home early and returning late. The rest of her free time was spent to correct any designs. For two weeks now luckily she did not see or speak with the youngest of the Amamiya. Time to time she would have breakfast with Masaki or late dinner. Her life was starting to look promising again and she had forgotten the messy previous events.

It was a lunch break and she was having her lunch in one of the Aseia architects dinners. She was sitting alone eating her meal and spacing out thought afterthought.

Amaya's POV*:

"Were you one of those children who were praised for being 'Well behaved'? Knowing that people prised you of being Good, did it also make you work harder? Maybe it was hard or painful, but you never complained and bore it quietly?

In a way, I was that kind of Kid! I want to be seen Good, or better than my brother. Because it didn't matter how good I was in school and how successful. Each time Cobra showed up telling about his day, my stories were crushed.

I started constantly making an effort to be more like my brother. I run around with him and his friends. I fought and played. As long as we were young, it was fun. And I could manage to do both things. Be great at school and be a yankee!

I slowly grew up knowing both types of lives. I liked studying, traveling, music all the ordinary stuff a growing child would want. Back in Sannoh, I would face another world. It was fun and adventurous. I cannot lie. I had lots of fun! I fought when needed. I became part of the Ichigo Milk Gang. I learned to drive a bike. I even got my motorbike license.

But I grew up and was becoming an adult. I found the Motorbike Gang boring. I was not longer following Cobra and his friends around. I started showing more interest in my school life. And now as an Adult should I still feel the same responsibility to please other people?

No! I didn't want my parents' attention any longer. My Brother and I were different people. We did not like the same things. He was slowly becoming the leader of Sannoh. He was creating his own path. And I was proud of him. But there was nothing for me in Sannoh. I didn't fit to be an Ichigo Milk Member. I wanted less.

I just wanted an ordinary life. Like all my school friends had. I was kept telling myself to remain in the path that was already planned for me. Though my parents and even Cobra noticed, I was slowly changing. I was offered the change to attend a better High School. I graduated and even got that scholarship.

Though all those years as I tried to become someone I wasn't, I lost myself. I left home in the most awful way. There was such a long fight. I don't even remember why we were fighting. But I recall when I said 'We are not related any longer! I will never return home!'

Until then I was only trying to please people. For once I wanted to be selfish. But I was confused. Since that night I became the most selfish being. I cared about myself. And only about me. Yet, I never really found my place in the world. Yes, I freed myself from Sannoh and saught the normal life I thought I would manage to have.

I was wrong!

Now as a full-grown adult. I am more lost than ever. My years away from Sannoh changed me. I became more gentle; well mannered and solicitous of others. Indeed I did one selfish act and left home going after a dream I thought I wanted. I worked harder in the university, trying to please my professor and other students.

It successfully offered me a job in the most popular architect world. There again I was living in accordance with the demands of others. I unwittingly neglected my own desires and needs. I didn't know how to express myself. I still do not! But when the Casino project started harming people I knew, it just hit me. That's when I did my second selfish act and left my job.

Yet, I couldn't still return home. I was scared of myself. I would become again the same person. The person that would start pleasing everyone else. I know I often say I am selfish. Because I try to become. I want to be Good to myself. I need to find who I am. In a way, I need to know Amaya.

I needed to learn to express my feelings without agonizing over it. I didn't want my past to define who I was. Then a new start came, as I move in with Aiko. And found the new job. I thought here I can make it. Day by day I will find my way. After that, I would visit Sannoh. I would explain and apologize.

Yet here I am now weeks after. Having this amazing job. But I still ended up trying to please everyone. I work and work harder than ever. I share a flat with the people I should avoid. In the beginning, it was the only place where I strangely uttered out my thoughts. Those two weeks have gone smoothly.

But so many random things happened. I am so embarrassed about those. Even my mind declined to think those again. That time I was seen . I never was so ashamed in my life. You cannot blame me that I totally dislike that baka younger brother. Though it got even worse. I ended up seeing him also .

I don't complain though, the view was worth it... What am I thinking... Anyway then a day later, I end up so drunk in Club Heaven. Of all the places I had come cross with Rocky. Thankfully, he didn't know I was Cobra's sister. That would be a story to tell.

It seemed though that I could make the same night worse by kissing Hiroto. Don't get me wrong. I dated before in New York for a couple of months. It was nothing serious. I mean I am not the girl that would freak about a kiss. It was not my first kiss. But what you don't know is; It's the first kiss I gave. I am not the type that would ever make the first move. And now I kissed a guy and I don't even like him.

Before I found him indifferent. Now things changed. I know he dislikes me. I would say hate me. But hate is a strong word to use. Until now they only reason we are not killing each other, is because I am working many hours. I despise him too. Honestly, there are days I just want to punch him in the face. That jerk!

Anyway, I have more important things to figure out now. Thankfully Masaki keeps the balance around the house. Even if he is sometimes silly and flirty I know he doesn't mean me any harm. And honestly returning home feels really safe. I am not sure If I could share another room with any stranger after what happened.

I don't talk about it. I act that things are perfectly fine. But I am not. I am still scared. Really scared. I wake up every night from the same nightmare that Hirai managed to go through with his plan. I lock my windows. And double-check that the main door is locked. I check the number of the taxi I take. I slowly getting over that fear. I know inside the apartment Hirai nor any other doubt member could hurt me.

But outside I have the feeling that he is still around watching me..."

It was already twenty minutes past 12 when the conversation with her inner self ended. She had already eaten her lunch and decided to return to her office. On her way back she walked through the entrance of the Aseia Architects. The receptionist informed her that her boyfriend was waiting at her at the front desk.

Amaya was surprised since she was not dating anyone at the time. Secondly, there was no one who would pose as her boyfriend. It would be a misunderstanding, but she went to meet the man. His back was turned to her as she walked towards the front desk. She did not recall knowing that person. She stopped a few steps away from him. "Hello! How can I help you Mr?"

The man turned around with an evil smile on his face "It's been a while! I needed to tell you I have not forgotten you. After work, we can go home together. I will be waiting." he announced and winked. Then he simply left. His work there was done.

Her early fears ran through her head, as she heard the taunting voice and saw his face. She couldn't breathe, it felt as if someone was choking her. Her heart was racing and all she wanted to do was curl up into a ball. Lost and scared she walked over to the administrative assistant "That was not my boyfriend. Next time he shows up, inform the security."

She was sure Doubt members were not so bold to show themselves in working places. Now Hirai was openly suggesting she was in danger. Inside the company, she was safe in a way. Eventually, she would have to return home. What would she do now? She took the elevator and reached the rooftop. A choked cry for help forced itself up , and she felt a drop run down her cheek. It seemed as if this was the end of the road for her.

She pulled out her mobile phone. Masaki trick to save his and Hiroto's phone number in her contacts came in handy. Without overthinking she simply dialed the number and called Hiroto. She should be calling Masaki and not the troublesome younger brother. Yet in her more despairing moment, calling Hiroto seemed the best choice she had.


The scenery disappeared as he drove as fast as he could, trying to forget. Lately, he lost his home. He could not longer return home, seat down drink a beer and talk with Masaki. Even not argue with him freely. The lock of the bathroom door was fixed. In Takeru's room lived now a girl. Her office had somehow moved into the living room, where the forgotten desk was. Home seemed not like home anymore.

He chose to spend most of his time in his room or riding his bike. He searched with Masaki any clues about Doubt. But as he had guessed they were doing all their deals underground. Neither Rocky with the White Rascals had found anything. Though one thing was sure, they had started their old tricks. Someone was pulling the strings behind Doubt.

Hiroto's POV*:

"I missed the days we were challenged to fight. These two weeks have been the most peaceful and boring, for a long time. We have not encountered any danger or any adventures. Masaki skips most of the fun we would have. Of course, he seriously looks after Doubt. But nothing else. Then he seems happy to return home. He still agrees with having that onna (woman) stay with us.

Damn!

Masaki easily trusting her and rending her Takeru's room. Aniki's room should never be given to someone else. Especially to an annoying and full of disasters person like her. Until now she has been lucky. I played nice. I never understand what people like her doing in our parts. Only looking the way she dresses and acts it's clear she is coming from a rich family. She would never understand our world. A spoiled girl, well educated and with a steady important work living around these parts.

I don't get it!

A cheerful without worries person. She seems like nothing bothers her. So free and assured. How can she be so untouched and unconcerned? She was almost threatened by Doubt and drugged by her roommate. She was seen and seen a man . She even kissed me. After all, those encounters and she remains calm, like nothing happened.

That kiss though... damn she knows how to kiss... Wrong-wrong! I had to stop it! I am not any better kissing a drunk girl!

I cannot understand her!"

His thoughts were cut off as his mobile rang. He drove his motorbike aside from the main road and answered the phone. The pink seat that Masaki installed was still there.

"It's me!" said a low female voice.

He paused and looked at his phone noticing the caller's name. Masaki had also save Amaya's number in their contact list. "Nante!" he uttered under his breath. Amaya was the last person he waited to hear at the moment.

"Could you..." she mumbled unsure if she was making the right decision. She tried to repeat herself but she could not phrase any word.

"Huh!" Hiroto shouted loud "Speak louder!" For a second he thought to simply end the call.

Amaya breathed deeply and watched the open sky and said again "Could you pick me after work? Please?"

Hiroto was startled at her demand. "Why?" he questioned boldly.

It took her a few seconds to respond. But she knew without a valid reason, Hiroto wouldn't show up. After all, they were in some kind of war. "Hirai... Doubt showed up in my work acting like my boyfriend... anyway he claimed he would wait for me after work..."

Hiroto's eyes opened widely and he was agitated with Doubt "What time do you finish work?" he interrupted her.

"Around 7 pm..." she answered him back.

"I'll be there!" he said in a calmer tone, but he was still in a furious state. With how froward Doubt envolved into.

"Nah..." she added before ending the call "Arigato! (Thank you!) Ja!(Bye!)"

"Ja!" come one last response and the call was completed.

Upcoming Chapter: Act Eight


*POV: Point of View.

Thank you for reading!

Feel free to Review and Follow! ^_^