The one with the Blood Oath

High & Low ~ Another World ~ 「Amamiya Brothers」

Author's Note:

Disclaimers: All right reserved of the originals "High & Low" Characters, Names, Places, etc to Sigeaki Kubo/ EXILE HIRO/ LDH World/ HI-AX/ enish.


Part III

Act 34: The one with the Blood Oath」

「The coldest day - The oddest comfort


The rider dressed in leather black traveled all night until dawn found him. He was driving down the old road that led towards the Nameless city without sight of any life. A sign perhaps of the change in the fortunes of this territory after the Triads bombed it. Once, and not so long ago, it would have been dangerous to ride through the forgotten streets of the Nameless City.

However, the rider doing just that and remained fearless. The freezing cold and the silent emptiness of the Nameless city didn't bother him; this rider should have read them better than most. Yet he remained oblivious to his surroundings and surrendered completely into his thoughts. Thoughts that were rising dangerously threatening his core.

The season had turned and winter was slowly rising. The freezing breeze in the air revealed the seasons icy part. The rider didn't seem curious, nor Joyful, he was distanced from all around him, he sunk into his thoughts that only he could see and hear. A heavy sadness weighted his heart and sorrow thoughts filled his mind. What could bring that fearless soul to his knees?

The sudden thought of Amaya tore at his heart and an expression of distress settled on his face. The bitter truth that haunted him since last evening when she told him to break up. Yet that was not the true reason for his bitterness. She accepted to wed another man. She accepted to be part of the yakuza family he loathed, as they were responsible for losing parents and an older brother.

As he drove through every region of SWORD recalling his past there was no escaping either his thoughts, not his fears. It was too late to undo what had been done. The dead cannot return to life. Too late to make amends to those who had endured the outcome. And mostly to unsay words that should never be said.

Yet his heart should be lighter and his lips shouldn't sense like hollow grief. Amaya was alive he reminded himself. He shouldn't now reach a point that he would regret later. Whatever the price of his boldness and the lacking his pride he should confront her once more. How could he simply accept her words?

Was he a weakling? A powerless creature that couldn't face a person that mattered? He toughened up to accept that Amaya was important to him. After driving in cycles across SWORD territories he came to the conclusion he had fallen in love with the idiotic roommate. And he was sure a day ago, she seemed to be fond of him as well. Something had changed. Something or someone was responsible for that she ended up speaking like a timid person.

Now it mattered little, for whatever price, he would have to pay unless her words were sincere and no-one had guided her towards that darkness. He decided to reach out to her and have one more talk with her, even a second or third talk if needed. Maybe the fault was his alone, he was tested and failed. He couldn't escape the consequences of his actions. He would face and deal with what life was throwing into his way.

Hiroto looked a little cowardly and bitter since Amaya's words felt like a knife impelled into his heart. Accepting him on her own terms would heal his pride and soften his wounded heart. Amaya would crush him easily today. Yet he knew if he didn't talk to her today his heart would never find peace.


Despite her determination to hide her fear, she shivered slightly. It was the first time she made a blood-oath such this. The blood Vow seemed to be some kind of ritual that the Yakuza heled when giving their words. In Kuryu world it was a pact sealed by blood. And Ryu's mother demanded it.

The cut began to sting as the wakizashi* sliced into her right hands and few drops of blood fall against the perfect porcelain floor. She closed her eyes and bit her lips forgetting the ache across her right palm. And she had to repeat her oath loudly in front of Ryu, his mother and a few official members of the nine dragons.

"My Blood bound by it, I swore to follow the way of the Nine Dragons. If not, death will bind my body and soul." the oath was given and her wound dressed. The contract was signed and the blood oath was offered, as a gesture of her goodwill to enter the Kuryu Group and wed into the family.

Hardly sparing a glance at her, Rikako handed her an organizer file with cores and a close schedule to follow. "There are rules and laws under the nine dragons everyone has to follow. Especially an outsider, who will become the leader's wife. You will be taught and trained, and when you reach the acceptable level a traditional wedding will be held." Ryu's mother announced.

Amaya tried to keep her look expressionless and accepted the documents that were given to her. She nodded listening to what Kuze-san was telling her. Under stressful circumstances, she seemed calm and relaxed. Yet inside her, she was crying rivers reaching her darkness.

"You are part of Kuryu now, never neglect it. Kuze is your family." she outlined sharing a look with Amaya. "Of course we aren't implying to keep away from your family and friends. You can talk and visit them, always at the right time. As part of this family, your daily obligations will drain you. From today on you will be living under this roof. Your dressing code will be change accordingly. The helpers will aid you to reach a positive outcome. We are not the enemy here. As said, we are family. And we know its a difficult task. As an offer of peace, you can keep something from your old life. Is it your work? The rest of your daily life will be filled with Kuryu."

Long experience had taught her that Kuryu heads were heartless, she had to choose fast and wisely. "My work. I just want to be able to keep working!" Amaya responded quietly from the spot she was standing.

Rikako seized her from head to toe for a while before answering. She knew Amaya accepted to be part of their world only to aid her family and friends. Allowing her full freedom would soon lead her towards rebelling. Yet she acknowledged keeping her slaved inside would make things worse. A fictional freedom would keep everyone satisfied. "So be it then!" she granted her choice.

"Rest now! Guide her to her room. Tomorrow go to work and after your return start follow your schedule. Ryu and I will check on your progress. If you need guidance, seek me." Ryu's mother ended the ritual with those words and walked down the stone hall.

Amaya nodded and retreated to the room that was offered to her. She shared only a good night with Ryu. It was an enormous traditional Japanese room. The Shoji doors, on her right hand, were wooden doors with a sheet of plain washi paper between the two wooden panels. She opened them and stepped inside the room. The floors were made by Tatami mats created by woven rush grass edged with embroidered ribbons, called wasu.

There were plenty of windows and open passageways to the moonlight was brightening the room enough. A kotatsu was located in the middle of the room, which was essentially a heater placed on a table frame, covered in a blanket, with a wooden tabletop over the whole structure. Around lied zabuton, which were large, sturdy cushions placed directly on the floor to sit or kneel on.

A futon, Japanese-style bedding was in the east part for her to sleep. Moufu (Pillow) and makura (Blanket) placed on top. In the other side of the room was a Wardrobe and Chest of Drawers, filled inside with woman attires. The maids helped her to change in a white nightgown and covered her after she climbed on the bed.

Her heart remained heavy, even if she was lightly dressed. The memories cycling her mind and drawing into a dark sea. What had she done? She felt as for now own she was drowning in an icy ocean and she would never step into shores even again. Far away from her homeland, she would lose herself bit by bit.

Yet it was worthy. Giving up everything dear to her and making sure they would be alive and safe. For once in her life, she could protect them in her own way. If she were to perish there at least her death would have some meaning and her brother wouldn't find out.

She was guiding herself into her own distraction by declining her kin and the man she held dear. Hiroto was his name and he was one of the Amamiya brothers. A few hours ago he was simply her friend, her lover, and boyfriend. Now he was a stranger, a rival and enemy. Being part of Kuryu meant that the only way he would stand next to him would be only as such. She hated the irony, she chose for both of them.

She stared at the open sky again set in a grim line. She lost herself into her own memories. And when she managed to pull herself out of them it was already morning. With no more tears to shade and deeper darkness, her morning began.

The same maids of last night showed up with breakfast. Again she was aided to wear a woman black suit made from the finest fabric. She could not complain about the welcome and the clothing that was offered to her. Ryu showed up to give her morning wishes and left soon after. A couple of minutes later she stepped outside of her room and aimed to reach work. One of Kuryu Group's car brought her at work.


The driver opened the door and she stepped outside. She thanked the man and turned around to make her way towards her work. Her way was cut. In front of her stood the last person she wished to see. His gaze seemed heavy and dark and pinned against hers. He was taken by surprise as the woman ahead of him seemed out of his leak. Her looks were ice cold, her body expression wanting to ignore him. That wasn't the same girl he knew. She was surrounded by a supreme and cold aura. A mimic of the ice queen.

Yet the darkness into her eyes and the grief hidden inside her gaze was familiar. He would recognize those eyes, even if she would dress like an old man. He strolled over, his steps heavy with a fast pace. He grasped her arm and pulled. Amaya followed. Until they reached the other side of the road, where his bike was. He leaped onto his bike and gestured her to follow.

She took a step back and gazed at him trying not to reveal her real thoughts. "Hiroto, what do you want?" she questioned. Though deep down she knew. He would need a reason. A simple 'we are breaking up' would not satisfy him. She only betted against his pride to be a valid reason to keep him away. But it seemed his need to learn the truth was bigger than his pride.

"Get on! Now!" he ordered. His tone was flat and serious. Avoiding him would not be an option. She mounted onto the bike holding against his sides lightly. Hiroto gazed at her upon his shoulders and pulled her arms around his waist.

Then he drove off.

Time was not on his side today. That's why he drove to the nearest place he knew under the rainbow bridge. The view of the Ocean, the cloudy sky and the rainbow bridge was a retro image that would stick with them. Amaya climbed off the bike and turned her back towards Hiroto facing the Ocean.

Hiroto followed leaping off his bike and stepping next to her. He was staring at the open sky refusing to cast a glance at the girl next to him. He felt strangely embarrassed. He swallowed and finally spoke, "You own me an explanation!" His tone was rough but low at the same time.

Amaya sighed fearing that moment. The moment she had to act again. She had to deal with him as if he was her rival. He wasn't. "There isn't anything to solve Hiroto. I broke up with you." she lied dropping her gaze against the rocky ground.

"I'm not here to discuss with you the breakup. You're old enough to know what you want. That choice was yours." he said still avoiding eye contact with her. Of course, he was enraged that he broke up with him. Yet that was not what worried Hiroto at the moment. Her ending up as part of Kuryu seemed something more important.

"Eh?" she questioned astonished "Then why did you drag me out here?"

This time Hiroto faced her his heavy gaze dropped against hers. "You agreed to be part of Kuryu to marry their leader?" Hiroto uttered under his breath. "Amaya! It's a Yakuza clan. Our enemy! Your enemy!" he added grasping along her arm "Did he threatened you?" he paused panting deeply "Why?"

Amaya gathered all her strength and stamina and broke free. The coldness that surrounded her was the only thing that kept her from fainting. "Kuryu is your enemy, not mine!" she clarified "They are part of the Yakuza. And you are part of a gang? We all have our black spots in our past."

"Amaya!" he opened his mouth to speak but she interrupted him.

"No one threatened me! It was my choice. Why?" she sighed and looked away. "Because I wanted a luxury life. Power and money." She paused feeling her heart slowly breaking. She didn't want to hurt Hiroto any more. But there was no other way to make him back off. "Because my interest in you was only a one-time crush. I didn't fall in love with you. I never really liked you. Actually you are an annoying person that I found attractive. It was enough to lure me in for a few days. I'm only sorry that the timing was totally wrong. I wished I could first break up with you and then accept to marry Ryu."

The sky turned and hit him across the face. Despite the cold and wind his cheeks were burning he was on fire. His rage became wrath and if he would speak now his voice would echo and dominate the area. The dark gaze on his face revealed as much. His fingers clenched together forming a fist, and he kicked whatever was in front of him. "Then you're worthy of your choices~" Hiroto cursed in despair and walked away.

His pride had risen to its zenith and it didn't allow him to talk to Amaya or to knock any sense to her. Her words managed to poke his pride and unleash his rage. He leaped on his bike and drove away. It was the only punishment he could offer at the moment. He didn't drive her back to work. He simply didn't want to see her ever again.

He only wanted to hide in the deepest of the shadows looking across the blackness, the greatest barrier between him and her. Memories flashed through his mind like a stormy thunder. He recalled the first day Amaya knocked on their doors to demand them to fix their water pipe. The day they both stumbled against the stair. How fearless she was then.

The endless problems and memories the idiot brought towards him. How could she now simply tell him he meant nothing to her. He was just a crush? Someone she never liked? He lost focus and smashed his bike against a tree. Thankfully the clash was minor and he was not injured. Yet his heart and pride was. He remained there lying under the tree sinking through the memory.


Amaya wasn't any better. She looked like life had been drained out of her. She took a taxi and returned to work. She recalled Hiroto's last gaze upon her. He hated her. And she didn't blame him. He had every right to hate her. Although she knew that her actions aided a better cause, it still broke her. A shallow inner voice was haunting her, telling her to run and confess everything. He would understand. He would forgive her.

'Uzai!' she shouted to herself and crushed against Cobra. She lifted her head and noted that one more person was waiting at her at work. Her brother. She sighed "Cobra I am late! We can talk about it another day!" she mumbled.

Cobra pulled her from the main street of her work into an alley. He knew they would cause a scene and outside her work would not benefit her. "Explain! Part of Kuryu!? Wedding? Are you trying to drive me crazy! Because you are close to manage it!" Cobra voiced up.

Amaya knew, and she knew it well that family and friends would run after her. But dealing with both of her more beloved people at the same time was a freaking nightmare. "I have nothing to explain. You knew, who your sister is. I was offered a better place to live. Money and power. I agreed." she shouted loudly glaring at Cobra.

"OI! That isn't my sister! You cannot fool me, Amaya. Tell me the truth!" Cobra begged her now with a softer tone. "Sannoh is your home, we will deal with it together!"

Her brother's magical words had her for a moment. She was ready to run into his hug and tell him the truth. But lie she must, turn away and never return. With a sigh of resignation, she stepped back ready to unleash more hateful words. "Cobra when it comes to friends and to Hoodlum Squad you can offer your life and aid them. Now tell me, brother, since when did you run to my rescue. When I was in High school and was a junkie? When I was in another country? Was it when I returned and I Doubt almost had me? When exactly? You own the title of being my brother. You never acted as a brother." she lied to him and stepped away. "Cobra go and take care of Hoodlum Squad. I have chosen my way! You cannot affect my desition. You are late"

Today she lied to Hiroto and Cobra. She wounded them and knew her words were enough to keep them away from her. They would hate her. But it was the only way to ensure her that they would keep away from her and Kuryu. It was her way of saving them.

Cobra left and didn't look back. Her words had reached a part of him that hurt the most. He never forgave himself for not being there when Amaya needed him. And now she comforted him with the same truths guiding him in his own sadness and grief.


Amaya was two hours late for work. And when she thought she could finally reach work one more person crossed her path. It was Yamato. Worried about her Yamato was looking for her after she left from Itokan Diner. Her work was the only place he finally found her. They didn't talk long. Yamato only needed to check if she was doing alright. After verifying she was fine he left.

Indeed he had many things to tell her and wanted to scold her. But he knew Cobra would have already reached out to her. And by recalling Hiroto's reaction he would also try to contact her. That meant Yamato would only make things worse. And he didn't want to force her into Kuryu hands.

Yamato was always that kind of person. He approached people in a different way. Especially people who were his friends and family. And Amaya was like his younger sister. The times Cobra wasn't there. Yamato covered that spot.

Amaya thanked him and asked him to trust her. And Yamato for the time being agreed. He knew she had her reasons. And in time he thought he would break her silence.

With Yamato's departure came Masaki's arrival. She was ready to hit her head into the nearest wall. How was it possible that actually too many people cared for her. Why wouldn't they just leave her alone in her misery?

While Amaya was having a crazy monolog with herself Masaki reached her. "Here you are! You didn't return home last night and I was worried!" he said to her in a natural tone "Hiroto-kun! Not worrying about his brother did the same!"

Amaya nodded her head but she was speechless. She tilted her head bewildered. She couldn't understand Masaki's response. Why wasn't he angry at her. Why wasn't he scolding her? "Eh!?" she breathed deeply not sure how to respond to him.

"Are you late for work!?" he questioned while gazing at his clock "Soka! Soka! Go! Go!" he pushed her towards the entrance of her workplace. Pausing only a second and whispering at her "Takeru's room is yours! When you had enough of your new adventure, keep in mind that you have a room to return!" Masaki tapped her shoulder and left.

Amaya started crying as she watched Masaki leaving. Today was the hardest day of her life. Dealing with Hiroto and Cobra was the pick of that day. And here she was burned and broken. Finding herself alone. And in her lowerest moment, Masaki showed up, to remind her she was not alone.

The outcome left her more broken now. Because she knew she had friends and family. They cared about her. More than her small mind could guess. How deeply they really cared. Time would show...

Upcoming Chapter: Act Thirty-Five 


wakizashi* It's a smaller blade similar to a Katana sword. The wakizashi was used as a backup or auxiliary sword; it was also used for close-quarters fighting, to behead a defeated opponent and sometimes to commit seppuku, a ritual suicide. The difference between the katana and the wakizashi is the length. Most wakizashi featured a blade length of 12 to 24 inches (30 to 60 cm).

Thank you for reading!

Feel free to Review and Follow! ^_^