The one with the DOUBT member

High & Low ~ Another World ~ 「Amamiya Brothers」

Doubt was not the same gang as before. Most of the members were long gone, after the Kuryu Group attack against S.W.O.R.D. The remaining members had fewer deals. Yet whenever they could, they kept scouting for women here and there. Hirai's monthly income originated from scouting. Lately, he was dating a girl that was also his helper. Together they had scouted enough women and made good money.

Besides Hirai's girlfriend, Aiko was Amaya's roommate. Amaya didn't know what affairs her new roommate had with Doubt. A week that she was sharing a room with Aiko everything seemed normal. Aiko talked about her boyfriend and how in love she was with him. She had a day job as an office worker. She was never out late. Aiko was neither drinking or smoking. Amaya trusted her and felt safe in the apartment both shared.

It was past eight and as promised Aiko showed with Hirai. She wanted to introduce her boyfriend to her new roommate and watch a film. But her intention was to see if she was worthy to scout her. Before Amaya, she had already scouted a few of her older roommates. The first time she met with Amaya, Aiko couldn't stop thinking of her. Her new roommate was much prettier and would earn them a lot of money.

Aiko was preparing hot chocolate in the kitchen while Hirai was talking with Amaya in the small living room. They were looking through the demand list to choose what film to watch. The night had started randomly and calmly.

"I study architecture and currently work in an architect company. What kind of work to you have, Hirai-san?" Amaya asked him as she kept pressing the right arrow to choose the next movie on the list.

Hirai sized the girl that was sitting next to him. Even if she was wearing a large shirt and comfortable tracking pants. Her figure was noticeable. Amaya was a very attractive person, his girlfriend was right. They would earn a lot. He hoped that the plan would not fail. "I am currently unemployed. Just call me Hirai, you don't need to be so formal," he answered while he looked at the screen acting interested in the plot of the movie. "This one seems to have a lot of action, should we watch this?"

"If Aiko agrees... Surely we can watch it." was her response, while Aiko was serving the mugs with the warm chocolate. "Then with what are you busy this time?" Amaya quizzed.

"This movie, I like it!" Aiko agreed and joined them. She took her mug and started sipping the warm liquid gazing at Amaya.

Amaya leaned forward and took the other mug and placed it against her lips. She slowly tasted the warm chocolate. And took a few long sips. "You were right Aiko, the flavor of the chocolate isn't that sweet." she noticed.

Aiko nodded. Of course, the flavor would be a bit bitter and not too sweet, since Aiko had already drugged Amaya's drink. In a few minutes, the sleeping drug should work and Amaya would be in their 'care'.

Hirai kept seizing Amaya and smiling as he had also noted that she kept drinking her warm drink. "I am occupied in a gang these days." he randomly admitted.

"A gang you say?" Amaya wondered as she leaned against the couch. She slowly felt her eyes heavy and was trying to avoid to close them. Her breathing calmed down and in two or three minutes she would be asleep since the drug was kicking in.

He chuckled sure that the girl would not be able to defend herself, his answers were more honest now. "Hai (yes), I'm associated with Doubt!" he simply said and pressed the play button so the movie would start.

Amaya had already frozen, she started to understand what was happening. She was sleepy. She was drugged. The mug fell off her hands and broke against the floor. She was awake enough to place the pieces together. She looked at Aiko in disbelief. "How could you.." she mumbled as she was starting dozing off.

Hirai and Aiko looked at each other and smiled. Their plan was successful. Hirai ran his fingers against her cheeks and down her face "Tonight we will have a great time. And tomorrow you will start your new work."

The half-sleeping girl tried to pull away but she needed more effort and strength to manage that. She glared at him and then at her roommate. As her mind started figuring out how to escape from that forsaken room.


Meanwhile upstairs, Hiroto had just returned home and he found his older brother watching TV. Sometimes he was questioning how other gangs thought Masaki scary. It was because they never saw him at home or while flirting. He shook his head in denial.

"Hey, Hiroto!" Masaki shouted at him "Yesterday's fight is on TV again. I wonder If I'll appear on TV." he said proudly. Yesterday there was a large fight between the borders of Sannoh and Oya High. The Amamiya brothers were passing through when they noticed Kohaku, Cobra, and Murayama fighting. They could not ignore them and stepped down and helped them.

Hiroto rolled his eyes "Urusai! (You are loud!)" He was standing behind the couch gazing at his 'Baka*' brother. Although he never admitted, he liked moments like those. When they could be at home, avoiding trouble and casually be mad at each other.

"Hiroto-kun don't ignore your brother!" Masaki defended himself.

"Nah, Masaki. In the hallway downstairs, I think I saw someone from Doubt." Hiroto said seriously suddenly. It has been a year he had not crossed paths with someone from Doubts. "Are they still scouting?"

Masaki turned the TV off and faced Hiroto. "Doubt business is not as popular as used to be. But they have a few old members keeping 'the business alive'. Why?" he sincerely looked at Hiroto.

"Betsuni (Nothing), something was just bothering me..." he added as his eyes fell weightful against the door.


Moments like those were irritating Amaya. If she had studied chemistry or biology, she would know at least how to wake herself up. But the thought never crossed in her mind that she would find one day herself drugged and in danger inside her own apartment. Then she remembered a very old drama she had watched when she was around five, it was 'Great Teacher Onizuka'. Anyway, the name was not important at the moment. In one episode as the main actor was drugged he simply cut himself and the pain caused him to wake up.

'Would it work!'

She had not much time left, she would soon drift asleep. Amaya looked at the broken mug and slowly brought her right hand and grab a broken piece. Hirai was still talking to her, but she could not longer understand him. And honestly, she did not care. She only wanted to escape from his grip. The broken glass suddenly cut through her skin as she pressed inside her palm. A few drops of blood dripped against the ground and she felt the wound aching.

'Damn, it hurts!'

Unexpectedly, it worked. Of course, she was still dizzy and staggering, but she managed to focus on her surroundings. She gathered her remaining strength and pushed Hirai away. In her limit time, she stood up and ran and fall until she reached the door. The door was not locked and Amaya found herself in the hallway. She was panting heavily, her mind losing focus and she was ready to lose her senses.

Suddenly she found herself upstairs knocking on the Amamiya's door. She was not sure when she managed to climb all those stairs. But she was proud of herself that she accomplished to reached their front door. In her more critical day, deep down she already knew that people like the Amamiya were safe to be around. She knew it down to her core, she grew up around that kind of people. From Cobra to Yamato and the rest. Indeed she hated living around them and around forsaken regions as those. Yet it didn't mean she was unaware of the kind of people that they really were.

Aiko looked baffled as she noticed that the door was opened and her roommate was gone. She watched at her boyfriend who was already rushing like crazy after Amaya. He followed her as she was running upstairs and tried to prevent her.

However, he was late. The door opened and Amaya collapsed in the arms of Hiroto. His arms were fast and caught the falling girl. A second later he recognized her. He was speechless and about to ask her what happened. He noticed her lifeless body and her responses were slowly fainting away.

"Doubt.." she only managed to utter under her breath and drifted asleep. Hiroto worried looked at her and next watched Hirai appearing. He straightened his body, while he was holding Amaya on his right hand. "Ts!" he breathed annoyed as he could foresee what would follow.

"Sorry to bother you! She drunk too much alcohol. Thank you for your help!" Hirai offered and tried to take the sleeping girl away from Hiroto's arms.

Hiroto took a step back leaving Hirai with empty hands. He glared at him and cast a fast glance inside the house "Masaki!" his voice echoed loudly as he locked his right hand around Amaya's waist. "She is staying with us!" he voiced up.

"Hand over the girl!" Hirai demanded. Suddenly he tried to grab Amaya from Hiroto's grip.

Hiroto acted faster he leaned backward and side kicked Hirai making him fly against the hall. "The girl stays!" he concluded and gazed at Masaki who appeared in the front door. "I'll leave the rest to you brother!"

It was only then when Hirai remembered Hiroto. They met years ago when doubt kidnapped Lala. Back then Hiroto was not fast enough to save Lala. But today he managed to aid Amaya. "Give her to me!" he shouted as he stood back up only to come face to face with Masaki.

Masaki understood what happened. Without any warning, he attacked strongly against Hirai. After a few seconds, Hirai injured was running for his life. Then Masaki went downstairs to unfold the events that happened. Afterward, he returned with Amaya's stuff.

Hiroto had already set down Amaya against the couch. He nudged her a few times, but she was already deeply asleep. He noticed her palm that was bleeding. He walked away and returned with a first aid kit. He cleaned and bandaged her hand. "What happened to you?" he asked although he knew Amaya could not answer him.

"Attacking her in her own apartment. Doubt became more arrogant!" Masaki explained as he stepped inside "Her roommate is his girlfriend. She drugged her." Next, he walked over and picked Amaya up. Hiroto tilted his head gazing at his brother not sure what was on his mind. He carried Amaya inside Takeru's room and laid her against the mattress. Then he covered her up. Without informing Hiroto, Masaki started to bring boxes and suitcases inside Takeru's room.

"What are you doing?" Hiroto backfired confused and angry. What was his idiotic brother now doing? They should help the girl of course, but while was he moving her belongings inside Takeru's room?

Masaki paused and gazed at him "You never really listen to me. After what happened we cannot let her stay downstairs. Takeru's room has been empty for two years now. One year since he moved out and one year he has been dead. I was thinking to rent the room after all. If she agrees, she can rent this room." he simply said and went on moving the boxes.

At first, he thought he was joking, but after he noted he was meaning it. Hiroto blocked his way angry. "Are you telling me you are willing to let this girl stay in our brother's room?" he questioned with a strong tone.

"Yes! If she wakes up and wishes to stay." he defended calmly "Takeru is not coming back Hiroto. And the room is already empty. We can use some extra cash." It was aching Masaki too having someone other than Takeru living inside his room. But they had slowly to move forward.

Hiroto kicked the door "I will not agree with that. How can you accept a stranger living in Aniki's room? Just because you are hyper and she is a girl?" He glared at him "I'll never allow it!" Hiroto shouted and left the apartment enraged.

"Chotto matte (Wait), Hiroto!" Masaki ran after him trying to convince him. But Hiroto was already gone. For the time being, he decided to let him calm down. And they would talk about it later.

Upcoming Chapter: Act Four


Baka* (馬鹿, ばか in hiragana, or バカ in katakana) means "fool; idiot", or (as an adjectival noun) "foolish" and is the most frequently used pejorative term in the Japanese language

Thank you for reading! ^_^