Seven.

Lifeline
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

-The next morning. Kwon's Apartment- 

 

"Love, wake up," Jiyong whispered as he patted his wife's cheeks gently.

 

"Arghhh. Just a minute moreeee," Jooyeon groaned and flipped to the other side. 

 

"Love, you've a schedule today morning. You need to be at the studio by 10 right?" 

 

"SHOOTTTT! WHY DIDN'T YOU WAKE ME UP EARLIER?!!" 

 

Jiyong could only shook his head in defeat as he saw Jooyeon sprang up from the bed, rushing into the bathroom. 

 

"Remember, appa, umma and noona are coming for dinner tonight, as well as Minjoon hyung. We're discussing noona's wedding details," Jiyong was adjusting his tie against the mirror as he spoke. 

 

"Yeah yeah. You've reminded countless of times," Jooyeon was putting on her earrings and turned around to look at Jiyong. "Yah, I thought your noona wasn't planning on getting married so soon?"

 

"Beats me either. Minjoon hyung tried his luck and apparently he succeeded. Who knows? Maybe noona realised hyung is getting old or maybe she's envy of our marriage? There's so many reasons but who cares? We're all happy that she's finally willing to tie the knot." 

 

"Yah, or maybe she could be..." Jooyeon rubbed her tummy and wriggled her brows. "That's why the rush."

 

"Show some respect for my noona," Jiyong turned around and frowned at her. "I doubt they're such people. I'd kill Minjoon hyung if this really happens."

 

"Protective little brother~" Jooyeon stuck her tongue out cheekily and turned back to face the vanity, applying her makeup. "If that really happens, then whatever we'd done would be a redundant move. We should have depended on your noona to give birth instead. Your mum would have given us a breather if Dami unnie had given birth." 

 

"I thought we were both agreeable to this baby? I thought you wanted a little kid of our own to play with," Jiyong was slightly appalled by her response. "Also, umma did not breathe down my neck when we're not giving birth back then."

 

"Just saying~ She didn't breathe down your neck, but she certainly was quite obvious in showing her disappointment towards me," Jooyeon shrugged nonchalantly. "Doesn't hurt to imagine right?"

 

"Anyway, I thought we'd discussed about it. Yoona-sshi is 5 months pregnant already. I thought we'd agreed on you cutting down your work and activities, so that you can spend more time to keep a look out for her," Jiyong chose to ignore her remarks and focused on the main point instead. 

 

"You know I hate cooping myself at home! This Im Yoona is the exact opposite of me! Everything about her is good, except that she's a tad too boring. I sure hope that the kid inside her stomach wouldn't be like her. Besides, Auntie Lee would be more than capable to take care of her. You know me, I'm soooo clumsy!" Jooyeon snorted. "Omo! I'm running late! We'll talk about this again, I promise!" 

 

"Y-Yah!" 

 

"Love you hun!" Jooyeon gave a quick peck on Jiyong's lips and zoomed out of the room.

 

"R-Remember to come home straight after your schedule! No going to the club! Or pub!" 

 

"Araso! Naggy grandpa!"

 

Jiyong could only stare at the fleeing figure.

 

✢✢✢✢✢

 

"My Jiyonggieeeee!" 

 

"Noona!" 

 

Night came and the Kwons arrived with Dami's fiancé, Kim Minjoon. It was the first time they're meeting up after Minjoon had successfully proposed to Dami and Jiyong was of course, elated for the couple.

 

"Congrats Minjoon hyung!" Jiyong fist-bumped Minjoon. "Guess you're finally brave enough to conquer this tigress. I admire you."

 

"Come againnnnn?" Dami twisted his ears playfully. "Umma!" 

 

"Aigoo! Look at you two! One is going to become someone else's wife, another is going to become a dad and yet, still behaving like kids!" Old Mrs. Kwon shook her head, but was all smile and full of affection for her children. 

 

"Ji, where's Jooyeon?" Old Mr. Kwon looked around the house before asking. 

 

"O-Oh. She's... She's busy at work. Probably ending soon," Jiyong lied. 

 

He had called Jooyeon an hour ago but her phone was switched off. He tried calling her manager and was told that her schedule had went smoothly and ended earlier than expected, but he didn't know where she had gone as they parted ways after she said that she wanted to buy gifts for her in-laws. However, an hour later, she's still uncontactable, still nowhere to be found. 

 

Having known Jiyong for all his life, the Kwons knew that he was lying, but made no attempt to expose him. Afterall, it was his marriage, his wife, his family. Even as elders, they'd no rights to interfere and they knew Jooyeon's personality; she was like a wild horse - uncontrollable. She could be so nice at times, but some times, if against her wish, she would turn crazy and start to ram people. 

 

"Where's Yoona?" Old Mrs. Kwon asked. 

 

"S-She's out to buy stuff..." Jiyong stuttered miserably again. 

 

"Yah, don't tell me you made her go out on purpose to avoid having her in our family meeting alright. You're afraid that history will repeat itself, history of her blending too well in the family and angering Jooyeon," Dami narrowed her eyes and threw a distaste look when Jiyong had a guilty look on his face. "Kwon Jiyong!" 

 

"I-I did not!" Jiyong shouted, before his voice got softer and softer. "I just thought she might want to take a walk after visiting the ob-gyn..."

 

"I'm despising you, little brother," Dami rolled her eyes at the weak explanation. "You even let her visit the ob-gyn alone?!" 

 

"Auntie Lee always accompanies her but because today she has to stay to prepare for the dinner..." Jiyong defended. "Noona, you've to understand from my point of view. She's not my wife. Jooyeon is. She'll be gone after the kid is born."

 

"I know, but can't you be more... I don't know, humane?" Dami argued. "She's carrying your kid for god's sake! It wouldn't kill to accompany her for a check-up right? Imagine how pitiful she will be when she looks at other preggos, having their other halves accompany them for checkups. I think this is the least you can do to make this pregnancy easier for her, Ji."

 

"It's not like this is the first time she's like this..." Jiyong muttered under his breath. 

 

"Alright alright. Break it off you guys," Old Mr. Kwon stepped in to break the argument. "Dami, give your brother a break. This isn't easy for him. He has a wife to take care of as well. Either way, he will be a jerk. Don't make it more difficult than it already is."

 

Jiyong shot a grateful glance towards his dad. 

 

"Whatever," Dami shrugged her shoulders. "I just thought you should give Yoona more credit. Sure, Jooyeon is the one who suggested this and Yoona is being paid, but no one else can feel what she's going through, carrying a life inside her. I think we should all try to make it more comfortable for her."

 

"Noona, be fair to Jooyeon. She's going through a hard time too," Jiyong tried to speak up for his wife. 

 

"Really? Hard time as in not being able to turn her house into a club because now there's a pregnant lady or hard time because her night habits have to change because it'll disturb the pregnant lady's rest?" 

 

"Noona..." 

 

"Alrights. Dinner is ready!" Auntie Lee came in at the correct moment, breaking the impending quarrel. 

 

"Let's have dinner first," Minjoon rubbed his fiancée shoulders, trying to calm her down. "A hungry man is an angry man." 

 

✢✢✢✢✢

 

Dinner went smoothly and the unpleasant atmosphere slipped away slowly as the family chatted casually. Jooyeon was still not back and neither did she return Jiyong's call. After dinner, the family retreated to the living room, discussing and planning for Dami's upcoming wedding.

 

"Mr and Mrs Kwon... D-Dami-sshi..." 

 

As they were in the midst of an intense discussion, the door clicked open and in came Yoona. She knew the Kwons were coming over for dinner and hence she had planned on staying out slightly later than usual, even without Jiyong's subtle reminder. She knew her place well and wouldn't want to go overboard. However, after the checkup, she was roaming around the streets, doing some window-shopping but due to her heavy tummy and swollen legs, she began to realise that it was an utterly bad idea. Her legs were beginning to ache and she figured out that if she was to stay out later, she might catch a cold, which would be worse for the baby. After checking her watch for the umpteenth time, she finally decided that it was well past their dinner time and she would just do a simple greeting and head to her room immediately. 

 

"Yoona!" Dami exclaimed as she saw Yoona. "I was waiting for you to come back!" 

 

"D-Dami-sshi..." 

 

"Here, meet my fiancé, Kim Minjoon," Dami introduced her fiancé. "Oppa, this is Yoona."

 

"Nice to meet you, Minjoon-sshi," Yoona gave a handshake. "Congratulations on your marriage!" 

 

Though Yoona didn't know Dami for long, the two hit off pretty wel

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter