Four.

Lifeline
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

-Three months later. Kwon's Apartment- 

 

"Thank you Auntie Lee." 

 

"You're most welcome. You look radiant, Yoona," Auntie Lee praised. "Are the cramps and nausea getting better?" 

 

"Yes. I guess it comes and goes," Yoona drank the milk. "Jooyeon-sshi is out again?"

 

"She's rarely at home. Even when she doesn't have any schedules, she likes to spend time outside," Auntie Lee explained. "It's the weekend. You don't want to go out to spend time with your friends?" 

 

"Nahs. I'm a nerd remember?" Yoona winked. "I just need a book and my entire Saturday would be occupied." 

 

"Maybe the little human inside you will be a bookworm too," Auntie Lee teased. "You know, prenatal education." 

 

"Then I sure hope Jooyeon-sshi and Jiyong-sshi will buy this little bookworm lots of books," Yoona's heart felt a little off when she left herself out of the picture, but shook it away almost immediately. "It'll do him good." 

 

"It sure will. Oh, by the way, maybe you would want to check the room at the end? It's actually the nursery but you know, because Jooyeon wasn't going to have kids, it was changed into recreational room. You can go take a look. Maybe you'd find something that you like. Other than books, that is."

 

"Auntie Lee!" Yoona shrieked. "Don't make me sound like a boring person!" 

 

"You are!" 

 

They shared a laugh and Yoona admitted defeat as she walked into the room that Auntie Lee had described. 

 

✢✢✢✢✢

 

It's been three months since Yoona began to stay with the Kwons. To say the very least, she enjoyed it. She was getting used to everything; everything including Jooyeon's weird drinking habit to Jiyong's smoke break timings. Even those occasions when Jiyong conveniently forgot to put on his shirt when he's up every morning didn't bother her anymore (though she still blushed whenever she caught sight of his lean figure). Her father and sister were doing better than ever, no one in the school had suspected that she's pregnant even when her morning sickness was pretty bad. Hence, all in all, she would say that everything was in her control. 

 

Also, it wasn't that she liked being a nerd. Okay, maybe she did like being a nerd, but that's not the main part of it. Ever since her house was turned upside down, with her mum leaving them behind, her father contracting terminal stage of pancreatic cancer and her older sister having her IQ equivalent of a 8-year old, friends and hanging out for fun activities were the last thing in her mind. Of course, she did have friends but after she made the decision of being a surrogate mum, even that few friends were taken from her. She was afraid of explaining and letting them know, hence she decided to cut off contact altogether after her best friend Yoojin was mortified by her relevation of being a surrogate mum. She had concluded that it's better off being alone and retreating into her own shell. At least until this period was over.

 

Walking into the room, Yoona was immediately captivated by the grand piano sitting at the side of the spacious room. Auntie Lee was right; it was a recreational room. There're game consoles that ranged from the retro mini arcade handheld game console to the latest version of Playstation and Nintendo Switch, to artistic stuffs such as a wooden easel and different stationeries used for paintings. 

 

Then there's a grand piano. It was molded to the left side of the room; all shiny, pearly white. Yoona walked towards it and lifted the fall and the row of ivory keys marched into view. They shimmered under the afternoon sunlight streaming into the room as if they're the moon on a starry night; bright, beautiful and breathtaking.

 

"Oh my..." Yoona awed as she pressed a key, clearly impressed by the sound it created. 

 

It was a beautiful structure, in both physic and in purpose. 

 

✢✢✢✢✢

 

"I'm home~"

 

Jiyong let out a sigh of comfort as he entered the house, Auntie Lee's food aroma hitting his nostrils. Apart from that, what captured his attention was a faint piano sound. 

 

"Welcome back~" Auntie Lee had came out to welcome him.

 

"Thanks Auntie Lee," Jiyong greeted politely. "Did I hear piano sounds?" 

 

"Oh, it's probably Yoona. I told her about the recreational room. Seems like she enjoyed it," Auntie Lee gave a smile. "This girl, she needs some other activities besides reading." 

 

"Where's Jooyeon?" 

 

"Out, like always. She probably assumed you'll be back at night like what you've said. It seems like she always forgets the fact that you like to return earlier than later from business trips if possible," Auntie Lee explained. "Lunch will be ready in a few." 

 

"Okays. I'll wash up and be ready for lunch."

 

Instead of heading back to his room to wash up, Jiyong's legs brought him towards the recreational room. Pushing the door open gently, Jiyong was mesmerised by the sight, his soft smile growing bigger and bigger unknowingly. She was dressed in a flowing white dress, sitting on a stool, leaning over the huge, shining white instrument, coaxing impossibly soothing and amazing melodies from it. 

 

"Oh? You'r

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter