Fifteen.

Lifeline
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

They ended up visiting Minjun the next morning. It was way past visiting hours then and Yoona did not want to disturb Minjun's sleep. After a comfortable conversation, Yoona fell asleep, with Jiyong sitting beside her, looking at her, both in awe and remorse. Fatigue kicked in and Jiyong fell asleep beside Yoona too, resting his head against her bed. Thankfully, he woke up earlier than her to avoid the embarrassing moment of him drooling.

 

"Kwon Minjun," Jiyong whispered as he brought Yoona to the ward. 

 

Yoona walked towards the sleeping Minjun slowly, feeling her footsteps getting heavier, her palm sweating. Apart from the medical equipment and dull-looking hospital clothes, she could tell that Minjun grew up well. He took after the looks of his father, having the kind of face that stopped people in their tracks. He had tousled dark brown hair, which was thick and lustrous. His lips were pale and thin, his nose slender and rounded. Just like Jiyong, he had a prominent jaw curved gracefully.

 

Yoona couldn't help but stretched her hand out, wanting to caress his face. 

 

As though feeling her presence, Minjun stirred and opened his eyes groggily, catching Yoona red-handed. Yoona's hand hung in mid-way, cheeks turning red slowly as her eyes met his. He had a pair of mesmerising hazel-coloured eyes, the pair of eyes that Yoona could finally be smug about; at least Jiyong wasn't the only one to be credited for this little boy's good look. 

 

"Minjun, she is appa's..." Jiyong spoke up before Minjun became scared and defensive. 

 

Then again, he couldn't find a suitable word to describe Yoona without scaring Minjun. Who is she? 

 

"I'm your appa's friend," Yoona interrupted, coming back to her senses as she gave a graceful smile, holding her hand out. "Hi Minjun, I'm Yoona. You can call me Yoona... imo." 

 

She felt a bitter aftertaste when she spat out the word 'imo'. 

 

To Yoona's surprise and Jiyong's embarrassment, Minjun wasn't afraid at all. He looked at Yoona's hand, his brown eyes glistening. He took her hand and gave it a shake, "Yoona imo, you're very pretty..." 

 

Yoona burst into chuckles while Jiyong could only facepalm himself. He was certain that this glib tongue of Minjun was not by hereditary; both Yoona and him were introverts and shy. They wouldn't even speak much to strangers, let alone being so straightforward and good with their words. 

 

"Well, thank you," Yoona, on the other hand, was amused instead, ruffling his hair affectionately. "You're a handsome young man too." 

 

For some unknown reason, Jiyong was jealous of his own son. Since Minjun was born, everyone had been saying how Minjun resembled him. So why is Yoona showering praises for this son of his and not for him?! He's the one who's responsible for his good looks! Okay, to be fair, she contributed too, but still~ 

 

"Minjun, your body is not well," Jiyong cleared his throat to gain attention, putting on his fatherly, authorative tone. "Yoona imo is here to help you."

 

"Yoona imo is a doctor?" Minjun stared at Yoona with his innocent doe eyes. 

 

"No," Yoona's heart melted at this sight. "I'm a teacher." 

 

"But you can still help me?" His voice went slightly higher pitch with curiousity. 

 

"Yoona imo will be donating one of her kidneys to you," Jiyong explained patiently, trying to put it as 'baby-language' as possible. 

 

Puzzlement was written all over Minjun's face. 

 

"Do you feel that the teachers in your school are very smart and they know everything?" Yoona laughed and stepped in to explain. 

 

Minjun nodded. 

 

"I am a teacher, so I would know everything too," Yoona smiled. "I know that I can save Kwon Minjun. What do you think? Do you think I can save him too?" 

 

Minjun pursed his lips for a moment, as though in deep thoughts. Moments later, he broke into a toothy grin, nodding. "I think you can!" 

 

Jiyong was flabbergasted as he watched the both of them hi-fived. 

 

"Appa, where's umma?" All of a sudden, Minjun turned and threw Jiyong a bomb. 

 

Jiyong could see Yoona's smile froze and once again, he didn't know how to explain to Minjun. How was he going to tell Minjun that he would be divorcing his mum and that mum of his is not really his mum while this friend of his is his biological mum? There's too much complications and he was sure that a 4-year old kid wouldn't be able to understand. 

 

"Oppaaaaaa!" Luckily, a cutesy voice rang and in came his rescue. 

 

"Haewonnie!" Minjun beamed and totally forgot about the fact that he was asking his father a question and was supposed to be waiting for an answer. 

 

Youngbae and Yuri had picked their daughter up and sticking true to his promise, Youngbae brought Haewon to visit Minjun. 

 

"Haewon ah, come here," Yuri carried Haewon up, walking towards Yoona. "She is umma's best friend, Yoona imo." 

 

"Yoona imo..." Haewon greeted politely. 

 

"Hi Haewon, nice to meet you," Yoona ruffled her hair affectionately. "Unnie, your daughter is very pretty. She looks exactly like you!" 

 

"I'm offended Yoona," Youngbae joked. "I've a share in this too alright. Give me some credit." 

 

"Petty guy," Yoona stuck out her tongue at him in revenge. 

 

"I guess you met Minjun..." Yuri asked in a meaningful tone. 

 

Yoona replied with a shrug and a smile, "he's as awesome as I had imagined him to be." 

 

✢✢✢✢✢

 

After hanging around in Minjun's ward for a little while, Jiyong accompanied Yoona back to her ward to wait for the doctor to do his round and to clear her for the operation. As the incident that happened in Minjun's ward just now was still vivid in his mind, Jiyong couldn't seem to rub that silly grin off his face. 

 

"What's with that grin? Do I have something on my face?" Yoona cocked her brow at him.

 

"No, just impressed by how good you're with children," Jiyong praised. "That explanation to Minjun... It's brilliant. I didn't thought of that at all."

 

"I taught middle-schoolers remember?" Yoona smiled. "Younger ones don't need much explanation. We just need to calm them down and make them believe." 

 

"True that," Jiyong nodded and became silent.

 

Seizing the opportunity, Yoona decided to probe that question anyway, as much as it was to her reluctance. "Just now Minjun asked about his mother... Jooyeon-sshi is not coming to visit him?" 

 

Jiyong was caught off guard for a second before composing himself, giving a defeated chuckle. "Man, I thought I can avoid this entirely already..."

 

"I mean, it's okay if you do not wish to share. I don't mean to pry into your family matters."

 

"Nothing of that sort," Jiyong scratched his nape awkwardly, trying to piece his sentence. "Erm... The truth is, I'm divorcing Jooyeon..."

 

Silence lingered as Yoona's eyes went wide with disbelief and before her brain could process, she had blurted out, "why...?" 

 

"Yeahs. Everyone probably wonder why too," Jiyong smiled sheepishly. "Everyone must have thought that we're madly in love."

 

"You aren't?"

 

"We were, or at least I was," Jiyong answered, "But I guess, love ran out between us..." 

 

Yoona could have probed further but she didn't see the need to. Jooyeon was someone that she would never want to be associated with anymore in this life and well, after all, it's their personal matter and she shouldn't pry too much into it. Besides, a more pressing issue that she had on mind was...

 

"What will happen to Minjun then?"

 

"Oh, nothing to worry about," Jiyong gave a self-mocking chuckle. "She hates kids, she wouldn't fight for Minj

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter