Fourteen.

Lifeline
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Uhm... Not really..." Youngbae smiled sheepishly. 

 

Yoona raised a curious brow at him, waiting for him to begin. 

 

"Well..." Youngbae began slowly, with a self-mocking snort. "It's a long story and you might not believe what you're going to hear." 

 

"Try me," Yoona winked. "We do have all the time in the world now, don't we?" 

 

Youngbae shook his head with a defeated chuckle, "I'm gamophobic." 

 

"Try harder," Yoona frowned, an obvious sign to show her disagreement. "You're the last person on earth who would have that." 

 

"You said the exact same thing as Jiyong. He said that too when I told him I'm gamophobic." 

 

"T-That's because you're a liar," Yoona got flustered for some unknown reason, clearing unnecessarily. "What's the real reason?" 

 

"We just met after four years and you're asking me to share my secrets with you?" Youngbae raised a sardonic brow. "What makes you think I'll tell the truth?"

 

"You know you can trust me," Yoona answered. "Besides, I think you can make use of a third party's opinion." 

 

"Wow. What did this four years did to you?" Youngbae tittered. "In my memory, you were the meek and shy girl."

 

"Reality shaped me this way," Yoona shrugged. "So, are we going to start? Or do you want me to give you a death sentence before even hearing you out? I'm pretty sure Yuri unnie would tell me all about it when she's back." 

 

"Is this a threat?" Youngbae guffawed. "You never fail to amaze me, Yoona..." 

 

Yoona simply replied with a smile, encouraging him to continue.

 

Youngbae took a deep breath and let out a sigh, making himself comfortable on the seat beside Yoona's bed. "Well... You probably heard a thing or two from Yul already. How we met, how we got together..." 

 

"Yes. Childhood sweetheart," Yoona replied. "I'm more curious about why you guys broke up and why... Why you got married and divorced..."

 

"Stubborn as a mule. That's all I can say," Youngbae gave a tired smile. "We were still in our early twenties. Yul... She's a great woman, an awesome one. She envisioned a family with me, but at that point of time, I only wanted to carve out a career of my own..." 

 

"They say girls always mature earlier than guys," Yoona commented. "But I think there's nothing wrong with you wanting to be ambitious. With career brings stability, with stability brings love and marriage."

 

"If only she could think the same way as you back then," Youngbae laughed. "She viewed that as me not wanting to settle down, to avoid marrying her, to not loving her." 

 

"Oh..." 

 

"So yupps. We had a huge fight, one that we did not reconcile to and I felt betrayed and in a fit of anger, I got to know someone new and two years later, I got married," Youngbae explained. "It's ironic because I ended up marrying early anyway. Hence, I don't blame her for not coming to my wedding then. She must have felt so betrayed." 

 

"So why didn't your marriage work?"

 

"I guess deep down, Yul, Hyorin and I all knew who I truly love," Youngbae continued. "Hyorin is a fabulous woman and I was really sorry for making her a divorcee at such young age." 

 

"Heard unnie mentioned before that she went missing."

 

"She didn't exactly went missing. I managed to find her and we had a long talk before she decided to leave Korea for good."

 

"That's the reason why till now, you still did not marry Yuri unnie?" 

 

"Yes and no," Youngbae was getting to the crux of his story. "Yes because I was afraid I'll hurt another innocent woman again. Hyorin loved me and truthfully, I'd hurt her deeply because of my impulsiveness. No because I'm afraid Yul will not have the confidence to hand the rest of her life to me... Yes, I only had two women in my life, Hyorin and her, but it's also true that I've hurt her so deeply at certain point of time." 

 

"Of course unnie have the confidence in you! She loves you! She even bore you a child, without any lawful title. This shows how much she loves you!" 

 

"Are you trying to hint to me that you love Jiyong?" Youngbae teased.

 

Yoona rolled her eyes to that joke, "I was being paid." 

 

Youngbae replied with an enigmatic shrug. "You know, during that nine months, I noticed Jiyong changed." 

 

"W-What?"

 

"Everyone knows how much he loves and adores Jooyeon and they were the couple. That's why, when you first appeared, he was strongly against it. He didn't want to hurt Jooyeon but as time goes by, I noticed that he was on his phone more and more often and at a closer look, most of the time, he was actually looking at the photos you sent. Also, remember that night when he humiliated you? After that, he admitted to Seungri and I that he might have fallen in love with you if he had known you earlier. Mind you, Jiyong may look like a player and he did have a couple of relationships throughout his life, but each relationship, he put his entire heart into it. That's why he always ended up in pain. So imagine how much he struggled and feared when he realised he had feelings for you when he's married." 

 

Yoona absorbed Youngbae's words to heart and found her cheeks heating up but was quick to conceal her expression. "We're talking about you and unnie now, oppa." 

 

"Thought you would want to know more about Jiyong," Youngbae stifled a yawn. "I'm done with my story actually. My gamophobic story. So what's the third party's opinion? I'm all ears." 

 

"How's that done?! You barely told me the problem!" Yoona grimaced. "Nevertheless, I would conclude that your fear is totally uncalled for. Unnie is head over heels for you and even if she's not, you have your daughter as your shield. You said it, she envisioned a family with you. A family is only complete with a mother, father and a child. You need to be there to make the family complete, oppa. The thing about hurting her... Why not look in another angle? You've hurt Hyorin-sshi before and were guilty about it. This is why, all the more, you'd treasure Yuri unnie because y

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter