Twelve.

Lifeline
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

-Four years later. Kwon's Bungalow- 

 

"Where's Jooyeon again?"

 

"She... She has a schedule..." 

 

"Her schedule is more important than her son?!" 

 

"Yeobo..." 

 

"You better not speak up for her again, Kwon Younghwan," old Mrs Kwon said sternly. "Her behaviour is really getting out of hand! When is she EVER around whenever her son falls sick!" 

 

"Halmeoni..." A nasal voice rang and the little boy opened his eyes tiredly. 

 

"Look at you, waking up the poor boy," old Mr Kwon shook his head in disapproval.

 

"Awww, my poor baby, I'm sorry. Did I wake you up?" old Mrs Kwon helped her grandson up and his forehead. "Are you feeling better?" 

 

The little boy nodded and scanned his wide, innocent eyes around, "umma... Where's umma?" 

 

"Hey, umma is busy at work. She'll be home soon. Appa promise that she'll be right beside you the moment you wake up the next morning. Okay?" Jiyong bent forward and gave a smile, ruffling his son's hair and handed him his medicine. "For now, let's be good and take your medicine first."

 

"Appa," the little boy picked up the small cap of syrup and drank it, gulping down a glass of water thereafter. "Is umma angry with me? Is it because I learned how to call 'umma' later than I call 'appa'...?" 

 

Old Mrs Kwon was shocked and was even angrier as she glared at Jiyong. 

 

"O-Of course not!" Jiyong laughed it off, trying to be casual while thinking at the back of his mind on how to answer his son's question. "Umma loves you. It's just these few days, she's really busy at work. She always buys you toys right?" 

 

"Y-Yes. Though the toys are always the same... I-I've two of the same batman..." The little boy answered timidly. 

 

Old Mrs Kwon was really fuming now but she kept her smile, "okay. Let's not talk about toys for now. Shall we get more sleep? Then you'll recover faster. Poor boy, still having a fever." 

 

"Neh..." The little boy nodded obediently and he was tucked into bed, drifting off to sleep very quickly. 

 

"Kwon Jiyong, outside. Now," after ensuring that her grandson was soundly asleep, old Mrs Kwon said to Jiyong in a serious tone. 

 

Everyone moved out to the living room. 

 

✢✢✢✢✢

 

"Umma..."

 

"Don't 'umma' me," old Mrs Kwon cut him off. "You should be lucky that it's us coming here today instead of your noona. Dami and Minjoon had been trying so hard these years to have a kid, but here your wife is, not treasuring her son. Your noona would kill your wife if she was to overhear all those things that Minjun said just now."

 

"I know, but Jooyeon is really busy," Jiyong was at his wits ends too and with his son's illness, his mood wasn't the best. "I can't do anything, can I."

 

"I think it's about time she learn to priortise, Ji," old Mrs Kwon replied with a sigh. "If she can't, then Minjun should stay with us instead." 

 

"Alrights. Cut Ji some slack. He's tired from a day at work and had to rush back to look after Minjun." old Mr Kwon put an end to the conversation before an argument broke up. "Let's go back first." 

 

Old Mrs Kwon had planned on continuing her lecture and naggings but had caught sight of her poor son's tired expression and decided to let it go. Jiyong thanked his father in his heart silently and walked the elderlies to the door. 

 

"Thanks for tonight, appa, umma and... I'm sorry for the trouble."

 

"What are you talking about? He's our grandson," though she was angry, old Mrs Kwon knew her son was trying his best as well. "It's been a long day for you too. Go catch a wink already." 

 

"Neh..." 

 

After sending his parents off, Jiyong sat in the living room, staring into blank space. Shortly after, the sound of door unlocking rang and he snapped up, only to see the familiar figure coming in, removing her heels slowly. 

 

"You're finally back?"

 

"Yes! Damn, the show was so long and draggy!" Jooyeon complained the moment she walked in. "My pair of heels wasn't helping either. I'm deadbeat."

 

"Did you realise I'd called you a million times?" Jiyong tried to keep his tone in check. 

 

"I know, but I could not return it. I was busy," Jooyeon sat down beside him, massaging her thighs.

 

"You went drinking?" Jiyong felt a strong whiff of alcohol and smoke hit him the moment she sat down. 

 

"They dragged me to the after party," Jooyeon answered nonchalantly. "I had to go." 

 

"Your show was long and draggy, you were busy, you had to go to after party," Jiyong spat. "Everything is about you, you, you, Joo!" 

 

"What's with the temper today," Jooyeon frowned. "I had always been like that! You were fine with it! Why are you acting like a prick now?"

 

"That's because you're a mother now and your son is in the bed running a fever!" Jiyong lost his cool and hissed, standing up. "Minjun asked about you. He thought you hate him because you hadn't been spending time with him." 

 

He walked away but stopped in his steps suddenly, speaking in a disappointed tone. "I thought we wanted this kid, together." 

 

Jooyeon was dumbfounded. 

 

✢✢✢✢✢

-The next day. Kwon's Bungalow- 

 

After the unpleasant night, Jiyong woke up to find the space beside him empty. It had become all too common and he got up, heading to the room beside to check on his son. Surprisingly, when he pushed the door open, he saw Jooyeon resting her cheeks on her arms, asleep beside a sleeping Minjun. 

 

He let out a smile. 

 

"Love..." He patted her cheeks gently, waking her up. "Why are you sleeping here?"

 

"H-Hey..." Jooyeon stirred and woke up, smiling at Jiyong. "J-Just want to check on him." 

 

Both of them looked at Minjun, who fluttered his eyelids, opening his eyes slowly. They smiled.

 

"U-Umma?" Minjun rubbed his bleary eyes. 

 

"My baby!" Jooyeon threw her arms around her son dramatically. 

 

Minjun returned the hug, but was raising his brows at his father curiously, while Jiyong could only respond with a shrug, chuckling. 

 

"Are you feeling better?" 

 

"Neh..." Minjun nodded.

 

Jooyeon reached out and measured his temperature, beaming, "your fever has subsided!" 

 

"I want to go school today," Minjun pouted. "I promised Haewon I would go to school today. We're having a picnic at the garden." 

 

The couple looked at their son and broke into chuckles.

 

"Sure. If you're feeling well enough, why not?" 

 

"Yay!" 

 

It was a lovely morning. Jooyeon helped Minjun got ready for school while Jiyong got ready for work. The family had a nice breakfast and chatted happily at the dining room. Jiyong dropped Minjun off to school and even sent Jooyeon to her fashion event, earning himself a kiss on the lips before she got out of the car. It was as though the dreadful quarrel didn't happen last night.

 

Jiyong headed to work and after a couple of meetings, disaster struck. 

 

"Hello?"

 

It was from Minjun's kindergarten.

 

"Where's he sent to? I'll be right there!" Jiyong shouted over the phone

 

"What happened?" Youngbae, who was having a daily briefing with him, was taken aback.

 

"Minjun got into a car accident! There's a drunk driver that rammed the car into the garden!" Jiyong grabbed his coat and had began to run out. "I need to go to the hospital now!" 

 

He rushed to his car, all these while, trying to get to Jooyeon's phone. 

 

The number you'd dialled is not available, please try again later. 

 

He threw his phone onto the passenger seat angrily and ignited the engine, speeding to the hospital. 

 

✢✢✢✢✢

 

"How's he?!" 

 

By noon, everyone had rushed to the hospital, except for Jooyeon. Everyone gathered in front of the surgical room, all praying and waiting anxiously for the lights to go off. A couple of unbearable hours later, the lights finally went off. 

 

"Doc!" 

 

"He's currently out of danger," everyone wanted to heave a sigh of relief but held their breath after the doctor continued his sentence. "But his kidneys were punctured pretty badly." 

 

Old Mrs Kwon almost fainted upon hearing the news. 

 

"Ca-Can I donate my kidney to him?" Jiyong tried to stop his voice from quivering. 

 

"Higher chance of matched rate would of course be his parents or siblings," the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter