Twenty-One.

Lifeline
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

-Two weeks later. Yongsan Café- 

 

"Oppa!" 

 

"Aigoo, look at this big girl. I only took a month of sabbatical leave. It's not like we haven't seen each other in AGES."

 

"Those brats are bullying me when you weren't around!" Yoona whined. 

 

"You're having a break now, aren't you?" The older guy raised his brows. "Before all hell breaks loose again."

 

"This time, I would have you around," Yoona let out a toothy grin. "How's Gummy unnie!" 

 

"You're going to become an aunt soon," the older guy gave a blissful smile. 

 

"Omo! U-Unnie is pregnant?!" Yoona squealed in excitement. 

 

"Calm yourself down, kiddo. I'm the father, not you," the older guy laughed. "Yes, we found out when we were in Italy. 3 months."

 

"Awwww, I can't wait for the baby's arrival!" Yoona replied dreamily. "I hope the baby looks more like unnie. She has better genes..."

 

"Yah yah yah. Are you asking for a beating?"

 

"Hehe, nahs. I know Jungsuk oppa can't bear to lay his fingers on meeeee~" 

 

"I am!" the older guy ruffled her hair hard. "See!" 

 

Yoona shrieked and they broke into laughters. She was happy for the couple, elated in fact. After she changed her job to becoming a drama teacher for the college kids, she met Jo Jungsuk. Jungsuk was like an older brother that she never had. He was there when her father passed away, there when she shared her happy childhood stories with her sister, there when the students gang up against her at first and finally, there to offer a shoulder to cry on when she shared her stories. Jungsuk had always been a brotherly figure to her and if it wasn't for him, Yoona felt that she wouldn't be that strong and successful. Jungsuk helped her back up on her feet and offered much needed life advice to her and together with his wife, they're Yoona's family after she lost hers and broke off ties after the whole surrogacy. She was thankful for the couple, grateful in fact. 

 

"So, how about you?"

 

"What about me?" Yoona took a sip of her coffee. "It's holiday. My well-deserved break."

 

"Yes, break. Aren't that suppose to mean that you'll be on a date?" Jungsuk asked. "But here you are, on a weekday night, in a café with a married man, Oh, and a father to be." 

 

"Oppa, you're the one that asked me out," Yoona reminded.

 

"You know that's not what I meant," Jungsuk sighed. "I thought things were going great with Daesunggie. What happened?" 

 

"Nothing," Yoona shrugged nonchalantly. 

 

She was speaking the truth. After the whole sneakers incident, Daesung stopped approaching her that often. Of course, dinner or movie dates still continued, but they were on a less frequent basis and eventually he stopped asking because she had nanny duties to accomplish. She wasn't sure what went wrong too. Daesung was a gentleman, adored her and had showed so much care and concern for her. She herself thought that things were going great, but oh well. 

 

"He told me you weren't free nowadays and that you had to babysit." Jungsuk said curtly. 

 

"Y-Yeahs. H-Helping a friend to take care of his kid..." Yoona stuttered. 

 

Jungsuk did know about the whole surrogacy but he didn't know Jiyong's identity. There was a non-disclosure clause in her contract and she didn't feel right to name Jiyong out, since after all, he's half a public person now. Besides, she didn't think it was worthwhile mentioning since she, of all people, hadn't planned on meeting him again, let alone helping him to take care of his son. 

 

"It's been so long," Jungsuk gave a disapproved look. "You deserve someone to love and adore you, Yoong."

 

"I know I know," Yoona tried to appease him. "I'll try to patch things up with Daesung oppa okay?"

 

"Forget it. He treat your busyness as cold shoulder and disinterest. He got to know another girl recently. Heard that she's a rising star, so they're keeping things really quiet." 

 

"Kim Taeyeon?" Yoona inquired.

 

"Oh? How do you know?" 

 

"He did mention before that her voice is really good. I listened to her songs too. They're pretty good," Yoona said with a tinge of jealousy. "I can't believe he had a change of heart that quickly."

 

"Give that guy some credit. He had been chasing you for almost a year now! You're the one that left him hanging or giving ambiguous answer," Jungsuk comforted. "But it's okay. There's always another tree~" 

 

"Oppa, another blindate?!" Yoona grimaced. "Please spare me!" 

 

"I'm concerned for you!" Jungsuk chided. "You NEED to start meeting people, my dear!"

 

"I AM meeting people!" Yoona rebutted. "First it's Song Minho, who turns out to be younger than me and is looking for fun only, then Shim Changmin, who is super cool but turns out to have a girlfriend already, then finally Kang Daesung, whom I thought would be a best match but look what happened~"

 

"Trust me this time," Jungsuk laughed. "It'll be good." 

 

"That's what you said the previous three times," Yoona rolled her eyes. 

 

"It will really be good this time. You like kids right? He's a divorced man with a kid," Jungsuk explained. 

 

"You call a single dad, good catch?" Yoona stifled a chuckle. "And you want me to be a stepmum?" 

 

"Hey, don't be so judgemental. Everyone deserves a second chance," Jungsuk assured. "He'll be good. I promise." 

 

Talking about second chance... Yoona looked around the café and caught sight of a couple sitting at the corner; the exact same spot that she, Jooyeon and Jiyong had sat almost five years back... Meeting Jiyong and Minjun again, she had wondered if heaven was planning to give her a second chance, to make things right with them. They might not be together, but at least things were getting normal and oh hey, Jiyong is a divorced man with a kid too. If she could befriend him again, why not she meet this new guy? Besides, Jungsuk was right. She shouldn't be judgemental. She's someone that sold her body for money, who's she to judge anyone? 

 

"One last chance, oppa." Yoona sighed in defeat. "If it doesn't work out, no more blindates. You have to promise this."

 

"I swore to my heart," Jungsuk let out a grin. "Besides, I'll be there anyway. I'll make sure this date goes smoothly."

 

"What?" Yoona chuckled. "You'll be there to MONITOR me?"

 

"In case he screws up, or you being a ."

 

"Hey, that's rude." 

 

"You know you can be such a pain in the sometimes," Jungsuk complained. "Oh, and eating so much most of the time."

 

"Oppa! Is this how it's going to go down?"

 

"I still love you, my beloved little sister~" Jungsuk let out a hearty laughter as he messed with her hair. "I'll text you the time and venue. Let's get you a guy this time round." 

 

"Oppa!" 

 

She hoped there's a second chance for her too. 

 

✢✢✢✢✢

-A day later. PEACEMINUSONE Office- 

 

"Noona!" Youngbae and Jiyong called out and enveloped the woman into a bear hug.

 

"Aigoooo. This two kiddo!" The older woman laughed and hit their back. "Are you guys trying to crush your noona?" 

 

The d

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter