Thirteen.

Lifeline
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

-Four years ago. Kwon's Apartment- 

 

"Oh? You're still here." Jiyong came out of the room to catch a breather after tucking the drunk Jooyeon in bed and bumped into Yoona along the corridor.

 

"Just about to walk in. Jooyeon-sshi is asleep?" 

 

"Yeahs. She had too much a drop," Jiyong shook his head in defeat. "Sometimes, she's just like a kid, not knowing how to take care of herself."

 

"I heard someone said before that if a guy treats a girl like his kid, the girl will be very blessed. Guess Jooyeon-sshi is a blissful woman," Yoona smiled. 

 

"You've a way with your words, haven't you," Jiyong chuckled. "Right. Just now, you wanted to say something before you were interrupted by her. What is it?"

 

"Oh, it's nothing much. Not worth mentioning."

 

"No, I remember we were on the topic of child's name. You were about to say what you would name your future son," Jiyong coaxed. "Come on, tell me. Is it you're really going to name it after your idol?"

 

"O-Of course not!" Yoona rebutted and sighed in defeat. "Alrights. I was saying after hearing that Minjung was one of your name choices, I'm amused, because I kinda like and would name my future son, Minjun. It's rather common, but it gets to me." 

 

"Minjun... Nice, it kinda gets to me too. Though... Jiyong would be a much better name," Jiyong joked.

 

"I'm pretty sure Minjun is way better than Jiyong," Yoona laughed.

 

"Oh, we can stand here and debate on this all night," Jiyong rolled his sleeves up, as though gearing up for a big fight. "But, Jiyong is a gentleman. So, it's time for the pregnant lady to rest."

 

"Oh really?" Yoona raised a cynical eyebrow, before breaking into giggles, rubbing her tummy. "Alrights. Minjun will thank Jiyong for tonight then."

 

"It's Minjung! Or Jiyeon, or Jiyoon!" Jiyong pouted in dissatisfaction.

 

"Minjun says goodnight!" Yoona squealed and went into her room. 

 

-Present. Hospital- 

 

"Ms. Im, you're the patient's...?"

 

Jiyong and Yoona looked at each other and an awkward atmosphere lingered as Yoona muttered, "mother." 

 

"Oh," the doctor's lips curved into an 'o-shape'. "We'll have to run a quick test on you." 

 

"Su-Sure." 

 

Both Yoona and Jiyong sat outside the doctor's office while waiting for the test result. The frosty atmosphere was definitely obvious and Yoona was wondering what would happen if she had treated him as transparent and invited Daesung up to her apartment instead. Would he have gave up looking for her? What would happen to Minjun then? 

 

"So... You named him 'Minjun' in the end, huh?" Yoona was the one to speak up first. 

 

Truth to be told, she was angry. Hell, she had wanted to push him aside, to hurl vulgarities at him even after so many years had passed. The hatred was there but when she heard him saying that his son needed her help, all anger seemed to have steamed out from her system and right now, as they sat side by side, rationality kicked in. She realised, she didn't hate this man at all. After all, from the start till the end, this guy did not took part in taking away her last chance to see her sister. 

 

"I told you, that name gets to me too," Jiyong let out a relieved smile upon hearing her voice, his pent-up stress finally released a little after the entire day of ordeal. "Gotta take the second choice, because appa and umma refused to let me name their grandson after their son."

 

Yoona laughed a little at his explanation and it was a comfortable silence. 

 

Jiyong let the silence lingered for a while longer before plucking the courage to address her anger, "I'm sorry about your sister... I... You might not believe, but I didn't know back then..." 

 

Yoona wasn't that surprised to hear the revelation. It did went through her mind that perhaps, Jiyong might not even have known about her sister's death. Base on his personality, he wouldn't have not contacted and asked about it if he had known. Still, she did not want to pry the possibility. She would rather believe that he had known and was heartless; it was easier to move on this way. However, after four years, it was still nice to hear the truth from his mouth. 

 

"It's okay..." Yoona let out a gentle smile. "It's been four years. Everything doesn't matter anymore. Besides, unnie adored you. She probably wouldn't want me to hate on her 'Jiyonggie oppa' I reckon." 

 

"She... Can I know what happened...?"

 

"The doctor had called it lucid interval," Yoona narrated evenly, as though she's talking about someone else's story. "She had a fall and hit her head against the table. Seemed fine in the beginning, could stand up and walk. However, the next minute, she collapsed and was frothing..." 

 

Jiyong felt his heart wrenched as Yoona described her sister's death. Though he only had one encounter with the late Yoonjeong, he had fond memories. She was an innocent girl and he remembered how her eyes would light up whenever she was playing with her little sister and how she had asked him to promise her that he would take good care of her little sister... 

 

"I'm sorry..." He didn't know what else he could say, for he knew no words would be able to heal the wound that him and Jooyeon had inflicted on her. 

 

"Like I said, it's alrights," Yoona looked up at him and gave a smile. "I believe you didn't know." 

 

They exchanged gazes and for a moment, both of them were mesmerized. After four years, Yoona was still beautiful, more beautiful even and she still exuded kindess and elegance. Jiyong had became more mature, oozing charisma and stability out of his pore. They had always found the other party to be attractive but seeing each other again four years later, a new found feeling had budded slowly. 

 

"Ms. Im," the nurse called out, breaking the staring contest. "The result is out. You can go in to see the doctor." 

 

"N-Neh..." Yoona blinked and was slightly abashed, standing up and went into the doctor's office immediately, hiding her slightly flushed face.

 

Meanwhile, Jiyong could only s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter