Twenty-Nine.

Lifeline
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

-One week later. Yoona's Apartment-

 

"I'm fine."

 

"Well, that's a lie if I ever heard it." 

 

Yoona shook her head, fighting back the ugly tears that wanted to fall and the lump in the throat that's crushing through her skin. Yuri could see through her completely as she sighed, going forward to give her a hug.

 

"Aigoo, why are you being so stubborn, Im Yoona?" Yuri rubbed her back. "Just move in and let Ji take care of you!" 

 

Yes, like what the doctor had said, the glass shards that cut Yoona's eyes was a problem. She had lost her eyesight but on a brighter side, the doctor assured that it was only temporary. They did managed to remove the shards from her eyes and with enough rest and recuperation, her eyesight would gradually regain and things would return to normal. When Yoona first regained consciousness and found out that she had lost her sense of sight, she was angry and in despair. However, as adaptive or actually stubborn as she was, she insisted that she would be fine on her own when everyone was persuading her to move to Jiyong's house for the time being. 

 

"You know why, unnie..." Yoona sighed, curbing her tears because the doctor had specifically told her that it's advisable to not tear as it would wash the medicine away. 

 

"You're still angry at him?" Yuri asked. 

 

Yoona remained silent, consenting to her question. She was indeed angry at Jiyong, not for landing her in this state (ok maybe a little), but for causing Minjun to come into harm. Initially, she blamed herself for hurting Minjun but after much thought, she realised that if it wasn't for Jiyong who had been hiding things from her and keeping mum for the things that he's doing, she wouldn't have taken things in her stride and decided to let Minjun return to school. 

 

"You know... It isn't really his fault..." Yuri began slowly, trying to help Jiyong out. "He IS really doing things to ease th-"

 

"It doesn't matter. I don't wish to talk about him now," Yoona sulked. "Shall we visit Minjun?" 

 

"Sure!" It was the first time Yuri had seen Yoona getting angry and hence she was quick to dismiss the topic, fearing that if she's not in Yoona's good books as well, Jiyong would have zero chance of gaining forgiveness.

 

✢✢✢✢✢

-Kwon's Bungalow-

 

"Auntie Lee~" 

 

"Yoona ah! How are you feeling?"

 

"Great~ I'm getting used to being blind I guess," Yoona gave a dry chuckle. 

 

"Don't say that," Auntie Lee chided. "Doctor said you can remove your stitches and bandage two weeks later right?" 

 

"Yeahs... Where's Minjun? How's he?"

 

"Uhm he... He's the same," Auntie Lee sighed. "He's not talking to anyone and even when the psychologist counsels him, he still refuses to talk. It's already been a week, it's worrisome."

 

"He's not even talking to Haewon," Yuri added. "You take a look at him? Maybe you're the only one that can make him talk." 

 

With Yuri's help, Yoona navigated her way up to Minjun's room. 

 

"He's reading a book by himself..." Yuri whispered. "Hey Minjun, look who's here!" 

 

"Minjun..." Yoona called out.

 

"Yah Minjun ah!" 

 

However, instead of greeting Yoona or even giving her a hug, Minjun had ran out of his room, ignoring the pair. 

 

"I guess it'll really take time for him to recover..." 

 

"Unnie, I'll just sit here for a moment first. You need to fetch Haewon right? Go ahead," Yoona smiled, taking a seat by Minjun's bed.

 

"Will you be fine on your own?"

 

"Don't worry. I've Auntie Lee here too, right?" Yoona smiled. "I'll head home myself after that. It'll be fine."

 

"Okay... Give me a call if you need anything or when you reach home."

 

"Alrights."

 

After Yuri left, Yoona sat by herself in Minjun's room quietly. Moments later, she heard soft footsteps. Perhaps, due to the loss of sight, all her other senses became extra sensitive and she called out. 

 

"M-Minjun? I-Is that you?" She stuttered, feeling a little afraid. 

 

No response. 

 

"Minjun, if it's you, can you answer me?" She tried again. 

 

No response again but this time, she felt something brushing across her hand. She grabbed on it and as she ran her fingers over, she felt the soft petals against her skin and very soon, she was able to visualise what's in her hand - it was a flower, or to be more exact, it was a flower without a petal.

 

"Is this for me?" 

 

It was still silence. 

 

"Minjun, I know it's you," Yoona kept her tone soft and motherly. "Yoona imo... Yoona imo can't see things now, so you need to tell me where are you and what is in my hand. Uhm?"

 

Repeated silence.

 

"Minjun is a helpful and nice boy right? He would protect girls and help them out," Yoona persevered on patiently. "Now, Yoona imo needs his help. He'll help out right? He wouldn't bear to see Yoona imo in tears right?" 

 

Just when Yoona thought it was going to be futile, an almost inaudible whisper rang, "f-flower..." 

 

Yoona beamed, but kept her tone calm, afraid to scare him off. "I see... Where did you get the flower?" 

 

It took her a few more repeated questions and coaxes before another whisper came. "D-Dining table... S-Same flower as H-Ha-Haewon..." 

 

The flower was from the same bouquet that Jiyong had given her. It was one of the two stalks of daisy left in the vase.

 

"Thank you, Minjun. That's very sweet of you, I love it," Yoona smiled, patting on the empty space beside him. "Do you want to come and sit beside me? I can make do of a company right now." 

 

She felt the spot beside her sunk a little. They remained in this position for a while, being in comfortable silence. Yoona felt that his eyes were definitely on her but she made no attempt to expose him. 

 

"I-Is it p-painful...?" She strained her ears enough to hear his question. 

 

"Nahs, it's not painful at all," she smiled, reaching out to find his head and ruffling his hair gently. "See? It's not that bad once you get the hang of it. Like you know when you first learn how to ride the bicycle? It's hard at first but once you get it, you'll be able to balance and ride fast and far~" 

 

Yoona knew that he was slowly opening up to her and she did not want to rush him. She remained silent, just waiting for him to be comfortable enough to talk again. True enough, he did after a few moments.

 

"I-I'm sorry..." 

 

"Wae?" Now Yoona was curious. 

 

"I-I... I overheard appa talking to h-halmeoni... I-It's me that makes you can't-can't se-see things... R-Right...?" 

 

Awww, this poor boy and that Kwon Jiyong. Didn't he know better not to be so open about this kind of conversation with a kid around?

 

"Silly boy," Yoona chuckled. "It's not your fault at all. No matter what, I'd have to protect you. You're the most important, baby." 

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter