One.

Lifeline
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

-18 August 2019-

 

"Happy Birthday!" 

 

The man was happy.

 

He stepped away from the crowd, enjoying the tranquil night as he watched his family and friends hanged around from afar.

 

"How does it feel to be 31?" His good, old pal patted him from behind. "Feeling old yet?"

 

"How about you tell me first?" He chuckled as he clicked his beer bottle with his pal's, taking a generous gulp and gave a contented sigh. "Since after all, you're exactly three months into 31 while I'm just a new joiner."

 

"Oh, nothing much. You know, the same old stuff. Other than a couple more sore back and with kids along the street labelling you as 'uncle', I think the rest are pretty much the same." 

 

They laughed. 

 

"Yah, Dong Youngbae. You're not planning to tie the knot with Yuri soon?" The man asked as he diverted his gaze to a tanned woman with ebony hair, sitting inside the house. 

 

"Dude, give me a break. I just divorced a year ago. You can't expect me to jump into another marriage that soon. It scares me," his good, old pal, named Youngbae, joked. "I might be gamophobic you know." 

 

"Screw you," the man scoffed. "You're the last person on earth who would have that. It was a hasty marriage between you and Hyorin to begin with. Everyone knew it wouldn't last, but no one wanted to reveal the ugly truth." 

 

"And look how it turned out. Maybe, I shouldn't blame that two years of national service. I should blame you guys instead. For not warning me early." 

 

"How about blaming yourself instead, acknowledging that you're hell of a stubborn person because Kwon Yuri angered you and you wanted a revenge against her and hence, led to a failed marriage." 

 

"I would still blame it on the national service," Youngbae let out a cheeky smile. "To serve the nation, you've to give up any other personal feelings, which includes, love and marriage." 

 

The man raised his brows in mockery. 

 

"Oh right. You got me," Youngbae raised his hands up in mock defeat. "Don't start flaunting your successful marriage. I might have the urge to punch you." 

 

"What I want to say is, Yuri is the girl for you. In fact, she has always been the one. You guys been through so much, don't be a scum and let her down again," the man chuckled and wrapped his arm around his pal's shoulder. 

 

"I know. But yah, you know, till now, I still don't really know how you and Jooyeon got together and had been married for two years. Don't get me wrong, you guys look like a pair made in heaven, but... I don't know. Something just seem awfully off to me. No offense but yeahs." 

 

"Maybe that's why she prefers Seungri to you too," the man commented with a chuckle. 

 

"Whatever," Youngbae rolled his eyes. "You'll probably find out someday. Like there's a girl out there who's made for you and you guys are meant to be. Late, but still meant to be." 

 

"Are you wishing me to have a broken marriage like you did? I might be the one that's having the urge to punch you now."

 

"Oh you won't~" Youngbae leaned in affectionately and let out a hearty laughter. "Your heart is secretly pinning for it. I know it." 

 

"You scum!"

 

The duo cracked up. 

 

"Ji, we're going home!" 

 

"Coming!"

 

✢✢✢✢✢

 

The man - Kwon Jiyong. 

 

31 year

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter