Take Your Mask Off

Undecided

Slight horror au

"cheating"

Messy relationships 

Something a little different from the norm? But I js basically had this idea and js had to put it down, I might write it during this 18 days to take a break for myself x'D don't worry, I'll still work on accidental rental once I get this out from my system (whoamikidding, ihavesomanynewideasagain) 

 

###

 

Summary 

 

A holiday trip to a hillside area doesn't end well for the duo when they're suddenly plagued with nightmares, mistrust and betrayal. 

 

###

 

1

 

Faceless.

 

Two faced.

 

A thousand masks.

 

There were many names he was called, unable to remember who he was anymore. Not his past. Not how he became like this. Nothing. Like a blank sheet.

 

+++

 

The rain had hit hard especially harder on roads that turned and twisted endlessly as the two males tried to make it to the top where their holiday was meant to be spent.

 

"Oh come on. Please don't die down here. Ugh!" the less patient grumbly of the two groaned as the light indicating low fuel started blinking. If the car died down now, they would be left stranded in the middle of nowhere, still miles away from the hotel they were meant to check in 20 minutes ago with no connection. The crawl was slow and difficult as the rain poured down heavily on them.

 

"Relax, Baekho. We will make it," the calmer one said while placing a gentle hand on his lap. Baekho groaned again, tightening his grip on the steering wheel worriedly.

 

"What if we get stranded out here, Jonghyun? No way to call for help or anything!" he whined and Jonghyun chuckled.

 

"We can always wave until we get someone's attention or climb up the hill ourselves."

 

"Ugh. This isn't how this was meant to be."

 

"Relax. We will get there."

 

And they did. Eventually. The car managed to crawl its way to shelter at the nearest gas station. Baekho got down the car, letting out a sigh before taking a fresh breath of mountainous air. They had had this vacation planned for awhile now so Baekho wanted everything to go smoothly. He made his way into the petrol station to pay for a full tank as Jonghyun waited in the car.

 

"Want anything?" Baekho asked once the nozzle had been hooked up.

 

"Nah. I'm good," He replied with his eyes shut. Baekho nodded and decided to get some snacks for himself. Maybe even a hot drink for the weather. He returned with a fresh cup of coffee for Jonghyun as well, handing it to the male who took it thankfully even if he wanted nothing. Baekho got up once everything was settled and his car had a full tank.

 

"Should we get going again? It's still pouring quite hard," Baekho asked the more rational one.

 

"We could take a short break here. We have coffee and bread. It'll be fine."

 

"What about our rooms? They won't give it away, right?"

 

"I doubt so. Even if they do, we can just request for a different one."

 

"Alright."

 

+++

 

The rain hadn't died down at all even when they had made it safely into their hotel room for the night. Tucked away under the blankets after a nice warm shower. Baekho stared out the small parting between the curtains with slight annoyance. 

 

"What's the matter, Baekho?" 

 

"It hasn't stopped at all since we arrived. Do we have some kind of bad luck?" Baekho sighed. All he wanted was just for this to go well yet it seemed to be doing the exact opposite. Jonghyun laughed a little and huddled under the covers. 

 

"It'll let up tomorrow. Just sleep." 

 

"Ugh..." 

 

"Come on now." 

 

"Okay. Okay." The grumpy male settled down for the night and shut his eyes, drifting off to sleep after his long hours of driving. 

 

+++

 

Fog hung low between the trees, giving it a mysterious eerie feel. Leaves crunched beneath his every step and branches broke. He was lost in the woods. 

 

"Hello?" he called out, feeling cold and numb as he rubbed his hands on his arms. His voice didn't echo as he thought it would. He continued pushing himself forward, trying to find a way out. Trees that started to resemble the previous one laid before him endlessly as if he was stuck in an eternal path filled with trees and nothing else. It scared him and he just wanted to get out so he started running. "Hello?!"

 

Again, no echo.

 

Just the fog and more trees. He choked a little on his fear and slowed down when he finally saw something different. A figure. Hunched over and looking at a different looking tree, back facing him. He let out a relieved sigh and made his way over to the figure.

 

"Excuse me? Can you help me? I'm lost," He said. His voice echoing far and wide this time. The figure didn't move. It was still and tall despite the slight hunch. He gulped and reached up. Something felt wrong but he was eager to get out from the woods. He placed a hand on the figure and pulled him back to get the figure's attention.

 

Then he screamed.

 

The figure had no face. Only a blank canvas. No eyes. No nose. No mouth. Nothing but pure skin meshed together that resembled nothing.

 

He sat up and screamed before slapping a hand over his lips. He panted, heart rushing and beating as if he had just ran a few marathons in one go. Baekho gasped and wiped the sweat off his face as he slowly regained his consciousness.

 

It's just a nightmare, Baekho. Just a nightmare.