A Fragile Heart [Baekmin]

Undecided

Summary

He fell in love with the doll in his grandfather's house so for his 25th birthday and as a gift for shifting houses, his grandfather gifted him a doll that resembled the same doll he had fallen in love with that many years ago.

###

1

Short eyelashes glued around the rims of the feline like eyes. Pupils that had a deep black depth. Pointed nose that stood proud. Thick perfect lips that parted slightly. Pink high cheekbones. Baekho lost count of how many times he had stared at the human sized doll sitting on the table of his grandfather's study room. It looked eerily human like and it even moved. Spoke. Unlike regular dolls, this one was cleverly crafted and was more of an animatronic rather than a doll but to the eyes of a young boy who didn't understand the concept of movable engine parts, it was merely a doll to him. Yet it was not just any doll. He loved the doll to bits. He would sneak into his grandfather's room every time his family visited the old folk and speak with it, little things or his problems. He would touch its smooth silicon and observe the way its joints move. To Baekho, the doll was his friend and a wonder in his world.

But that didn't mean the currently 25 year old expected the human sized doll at his front door that resembled that of his first inhuman love. He blinked and the other blinked as well. Slow and steady. He was going to shut the door but a pale hand placed itself against it.

"Oh god. It's moving. I mean you're moving," Baekho gasped and stiffened fully.

"Hello. I apologise for the sudden intrusion but I have been sent here with this letter meant for Kang Baekho." The doll moved and handed Baekho a letter in his hand. Baekho was stunned and didn't know how to react. Was this real? Was this really happening? He gave himself a pinch and squeaked. It hurt. "Why are you hurting yourself?"

Baekho flinched when the doll reached over and touched his cheek. It was warm. It wasn't cold or wooden or silicone like to the touch. It felt....human. Baekho blinked in confusion as the hand retracted as fast as it had reached out as well. Baekho quickly took the letter to distract himself from his blooming cheeks. It didn't help that he still loved the doll very much to this day and standing before him was almost a perfect replica with even more human like features and quirkiness. He opened the letter and read it.

'Hello, Baekho. Happy 25th birthday! I heard from your parents that you have shifted out from their place 2 years ago and for that, I gift to you your personal doll that you really love since you were a child. Of course, it's just a replicated version since the original is mine. He will help you out with housework and he doesn't require much maintenance. All you have to do is show him a lot of love. Have fun! 
-Gramps-'

Baekho's eyes widened and he looked up at the doll again. This was awkward. He stepped aside. "Come on in. Sorry for making you stand outside for so long."

The tall doll stepped in and looked around. Baekho wasn't really the most organised person obviously from first glance and not to mention he was living alone too so he didn't really think much about keeping the place clean when he was only ever home during the weekends. Baekho noticed the stare his pile of clothes was receiving and he quickly cleared his throat, rushing off to clean up whatever he could grab. Empty bottles, scattered papers. As he was moving things around, he heard a rustling noise and glanced over to the other who was opening a plastic bag.

"You don't have to do anything. I'll clean up," Baekho squeaked but the other didn't listen to him and just continued grabbing rubbish, tossing it away into the bag in his other hand.

"If we clean up together, it'll be faster."

"R-right." The two went about the house, cleaning up until the floor finally became visible and there was more than enough space for two on the couch. Baekho let out a tired sigh since it had been awhile since he cleaned his house out. "You sure are efficient in cleaning."

The doll seemed to freeze in place momentarily before turning to look at Baekho. "Yes. I have lots of experience in cleaning up."

"Do you have a name?"

"Minhyun."

"Ah.. Its nice to meet you, Minhyun." The doll bowed and Baekho quickly bowed back. Somehow Minhyun didn't seem much like a doll to Baekho. He felt and looked too real to be a doll but his grandfather did refer to him as a doll so Baekho guessed he must be some kind of really advanced doll. The way he moved was fluid and the way he spoke was so natural. He was even sweating a little. Baekho realised he had been staring and he cleared his throat, looking away shyly. "So, um.. Minhyun, you'll be staying here?"

"Yes. Unless you don't want me to," Minhyun replied as he tied the last bag of rubbish and placed it by the door side.

"I don't mind. My grandpa said you don't require maintenance anyways. Just... Lots of love?" Baekho responded while looking at the letter again. Minhyun nodded and Baekho wondered what was that supposed to mean. He got up and walked over to the doll, realising he was definitely shorter than it. He raised his hand and patted Minhyun's head. The doll seemed surprised as his brows raised a little. Baekho wondered how he did that and squinted slightly. Even his eyes looked real unlike the usual glassy kind dolls had. "You... Uh... Did wonderful. Thanks for helping me clean up?"

"You don't have to do this if it makes you feel uneasy," Minhyun replied and Baekho pulled his hand away, nodding.

"Well, I guess. I do have a spare room that you could use but I'll need to clear it up first."

"Let's do it together."

And that was how Baekho started living with the doll named Minhyun.