A Knight & A Demon [Baekmin]

Undecided

Holy Knight Baekho
Demon King Minhyun

title might change depending xD

I know it's a pretty cliche storyline but :DDD I don't care

~~~

Summary

The Holy Knight has been sent to the demon's Castle to eradicate the demon King. A simple task it seemed at first. Either kill or be killed. But is it really that simple?

###

The chosen holy Knight was a man who considered himself average and uninteresting. It was a shock when the crest appeared on in the middle of his chest, signifying that he was the chosen Knight this era to go up against the demon King that had been reigning over centuries. It was almost like a ritual every few decades for the holy Knight to fight against the demon King. Win or lose was an outcome nobody knew. If the knight wins, peace will reign supreme but if the demon King still stands tall, chaos will continue spreading through every corner of the world. Kang Baekho had tried to hide the symbol ever since it appeared but one accidental slip had caused his life to change abruptly. People started showing him more respect and he was even sent to the palace to begin his training in order to defeat the demon King. His peaceful, no problem life suddenly had a mission to defeat a demon King. Someone he didn't even know about until now if he was being honest. He had somehow managed to avoid coming upfront with demons even when he ventures into the forest or caves. He never go near dungeons or hills since he never had a reason to but now he had to whether he liked it or not. And he did not like it for sure.

He was forced to train for years. Swordfighting, traps, other weaponry that could prove useful, maps, voyaging and all sorts of stuff were forced into him despite his disinterest in all of them. Baekho was just a simple woodcutter and he wished that never changed. He would try to run away often but his face was known everywhere by now and he didn't have a choice but to get through the training and hopefully live a normal life after that.

So there he was, right in front of the demon King's castle after having fought through all kinds of demons that stood in his way. He was tired and worn down to the core of his body but the only thing keeping him going was the fact that he would probably be able to get back to a simple life after this. With a deep breath, he entered the castle and expected to be attacked the moment he stepped in but nothing of that sort happened. Instead what greeted him literally confused him.

"Uwah! Come back here, your majesty! Please! The Knight will arrive at any moment and you should dress in armor to protect yourself," a light orange haired demon squeaked as he ran after someone rather tall and bright red hair shone all the way from the base to the tips of his hair. Horns poked out from his head and he was dressed in a rather loose fitting black shirt. He had a scowl on his face.

"No! I'm not going to put on some old dusty armor that's been stuffed away for centuries. It's going to totally ruin my style," the tall demon complained and crossed his arms. Baekho blinked and just stood there. Somehow he felt at ease despite literally being in danger. The two bickering demons stopped when the taller red head noticed Baekho and his eyes widened. The orange hair male noticed the other's sudden change in behavior and turned to face the human male, claws out. The demon hissed and Baekho flinched, quickly lifting his sword up again.

"When did you get in here?" the shorter demon asked.

"Um... Awhile ago?" Baekho replied as a habit to always respond to people if they talked to him.

"I will not let you lay a finger on his majesty!"

"I don't plan on doing that either," Baekho responded. The demon seemed taken aback by what Baekho just said but still lunged at him.

"Minki, wait!" the taller demon gasped as the two clashed together. Sharp claws against the metal sword. "To have made it here, he would have killed plenty of demons. You shouldn't attack him!"

"No! I won't let him hurt you!"

"Minki! I'm sure we can talk this out with him." Minki slid back when Baekho had struck him hard enough. Baekho wondered if the other was really serious about them talking things out because he would definitely agree to it but his little henchman seemed to disagree as he threw himself onto Baekho again.

"I'm willing-" Dodge to the left. "-to talk!" Duck the incoming slash.

"Minki, stop!"

"He's lying!" Minki moved too fast for Baekho to keep up. He was already exhausted from fighting the other demons so his movements were a little more sluggish right now and compared to the lackeys, Minki was definitely stronger and faster. Worthy of being by the demon King's side. Baekho stumbled back and landed on his as he panted. He quickly pushed himself back up and swung his sword just as Minki attacked him again. The flat part of his sword struck the other right on his neck, temporarily knocking the demon out. He gasped and panted tiredly at his pure lucky strike. Now to finish him off.

"Don't you dare raise your blade against him," the red haired demon's voice boomed. Baekho looked up and he was shocked to have find the demon was right before his very eyes. His life flashed before him when his throat was seized into a tight choke. Was he going to die? Well, he really wouldn't care at this point. He made it this far and that was already an achievement to him. He knew he wouldn't be able to win the demon King since he was already so tired. His eyeslids fluttered as he stared into the angry ones of the demon before him. He weakly held the other's wrists and gasped for air. "Why aren't you fighting back?"

Baekho passed out.

===

"No! I refuse! Why do we have to keep him alive?"

"Because I said so? Are you going to go against my orders?"

Minki pursed his lips and shook his head. "But he's sent here to kill you."

"Yes, I know but I'm sure it's a misunderstanding. It always is, you know. From the previous generations all the way until now."

Minki's pout would have probably made others cave in because of how cute he looked but Minhyun wasn't affected by it. The demon King had seen it plenty of times to have gotten used to it. He watched the sleeping human male as Minki stormed out from the room instead. The armor of the Knight had been stripped off, leaving him with only a white shirt and pants. There were also bandages going around some parts of his body since Minhyun had ordered their healer to patch him right up. His face was clean of any dirt or blood from earlier so Minhyun could actually see how he looked like now. It looked.. Soft and gentle. Squishy cheeks. Thick eyebrows. Pink lips. It was amusing to Minhyun somehow. This human looked like he could barely hurt a fly yet here he was in the demon King's castle. His hand gently pushed the other's hair away from his face. He sighed and hoped the other would actually listen to what he had to say once he wakes up.

He wasn't sure how long he had sat there waiting. He must've had almost fallen asleep too. His head drooped and his eyes closed and opened again until he heard the first rustling. He looked at the human male expectantly when he noticed his eyelids slowly opening. Soft hazel eyes appeared and slowly studied his surroundings before it landed on Minhyun who smiled nervously. It blinked and then focused a little more.

"H-hi?" Minhyun stuttered and the Knight seemed to stiffen up visibly before he sat up abruptly, hurriedly backing away from the demon who felt a little hurt by that reaction. The Knight seemed to look around for his sword but couldn't find it. Then he seemed unsure about what was going on.

"Why am I not dead?"

Minhyun tilted his head. "Why would you be dead? What good would you being dead bring me?"

"B-but any one who steps foot in your castle dies! Or at least that's the story that goes around outside."

The demon looked hurt by what Baekho just said, making the Knight feel bad about it. "Is that really what you humans think about me?"

"Well yeah. That's how the story goes. You're evil reincarnate. All the demons you control are evil and only wants to kill us mankind. That's why every few decades, a holy Knight will appear matching that of a demon King's strength and sent to kill you. There hasn't been a single holy Knight that made it back alive for centuries!"

"I haven't lived that long. At most, I'm only 150 right now," Minhyun replied with an upset look which confused Baekho even more. Was this demon for real? Or was he trying to get him to lower his guard and finish him off once and for all? Baekho wasn't sure. He seemed genuinely upset. "I haven't killed a single human before and I haven't even been outside the castle walls either."

Baekho raised his brows. "You haven't...?"

Minhyun shook his head. "No. I can't. I'm allergic to a lot of things. Going outside is harmful for me."

"Oh." Something stabbed at Baekho's guilty conscience. He was going to kill someone as innocent as this demon? And this was... "But you're the demon King, right?"

"Yes, I think I am?"

"You think?"

"My parents are both dead. I don't really know what I am but the demons of this castle are convinced that I am the demon king because I inherited their red hair and horns."

Baekho took a better look at the demon sitting before him. He had noticed the red hair and the horns earlier because they stood out quite a bit. His face did have a rather evil mischievous look to it with his sharp features but right now, his upset expression only made him look upset. Baekho couldn't find a hint of evil in it. "You're an orphan?"

Minhyun just smiled and stood up, turning his back towards the human. Baekho took the chance to reach for the blade in his hidden pocket, feeling the leather grip there. So they didn't find that. He could kill the other right now. Demons lie all the time, right? Baekho hesitated though. His mission was simple. Just kill the demon king and he will be able to go back to his old life but can he really do that? What if the demon isn't lying? What if he really genuinely didn't hurt humans? But then he remembered the cold feeling of his hand around his neck and tried to relinquish all thoughts of mercy as he pushed himself out of bed, ignoring the wave of nausea that hit him. He pushed Minhyun up against the wall, blade pulled out and stabbed right into the wall. The blade barely missing his ear. Baekho panted, feeling the fatigue still in his bones as the demon slowly turned around to look at Baekho with bewildered eyes. Then it softened and Minhyun turned around fully.

"Do you want to kill me?" Minhyun asked and Baekho couldn't bring himself to nod. He just stared intensely into the eyes that showed no shred of hatred towards him.

"I have to."

"Why?"

"Because I'm the holy Knight! And if I do this, I can go back to living peacefully."

Minhyun gently took Baekho's armed hand, pulling the blade out from the wall and placing it against his chest where his pounding heart was. "Then stab right here."

Baekho's eyes widened. Was this guy for real? Not only was he not attacking Baekho but he was even showing him where to stab? "You...Why? Don't you want to live?"

"I do but if my death gives you the peace you are finding for, then I'll gladly give it to you."

"Why? You can win me. You can kill me. You almost did earlier! Why not now?"

"I wasn't trying to kill you earlier. I was a little upset that you hurt Minki and grabbed you but you fainted before I did anything. You were too tired."

The knight's cheeks flared up at realisation. He fainted? So this demon really didn't hurt him? Baekho tightened his grip on his blade. He just needed to stab him, don't think about it. With this, it would be all over. His stupidly streanous training and journey. He just needed to kill this demon in front of him.

"It's okay. Just do it," Minhyun said and held Baekho's hand tightly. "I'll help you."

Baekho bit his lower lip and steeled himself. He lifted the blade. I can't do this. Baekho gritted his teeth. I can do this. He swung down with the help of Minhyun's hand but he stopped just before the blade reached him, pulling his hand away from Minhyun's and letting the demon go. He tossed the blade onto the floor in frustration. Minhyun was stunned but stood there, watching the human collapse onto the ground and burying his face in his hands. "I can't do this! You've done nothing wrong deserving of death."

"But I hurt humans and I bring about chaos in your stories, right? You can do it." Minhyun picked up the blade and held it out to Baekho. Baekho glanced at the demon who had a sad smile on his lips and hit the blade away.

"No. That's not the real you. That's just the you in the stories people tell and that might not even be you. I can't do it."