7.07.09.08 {Baekmin}

Undecided

A/N : It was all Lin. And that au and all those bmeelings.

One shot
Soulmate au (heavily inspired by this https://archiveofourown.org/works/21873739 , go check it out cause... Feels)

###

25.21.07.00

He stared at the wrist.

The familiar numbers that had never once moved.

Never once changed.

He understood the meaning of it.

But he looked at his own wrist.

One second lesser.

Another second.

5 numbers smaller in a span of 5 seconds.

"Are you staring at your timer again?" his house mate's voice broke him out of his trance as he looked up at the other again. He shrugged and just pretended like he wasn't by pulling his long sleeves down to cover it. "How much longer?"

"Take a guess."

"Well. When I met you, it was... 7 years ago. So... If my amazing mathematic skills are right, there should be..." Then his house mate realised. "Holy crap, Dongho! There's only a week left!"

But Dongho wasn't as ecstatic as his roommate was. The reason being he already knew who he wanted to be with yet there was no way he could bring himself to say it. Not when things might change when the timer runs out. Not when he was afraid to break someone else's heart. Not when he might get rejected even if he tried. He often told himself, maybe he could fall in love with the person who had the same numbers on his wrist. Forget about these fruitless 5 years that he had wasted for not even trying once he realised his feelings.

"What's wrong? You seem upset."

"It's nothing, Minhyun-ah. I'm just a little tired. I'm going to sleep first."

"Okay. Um.. Do you mind bringing the laundry out to wash tomorrow? As usu-"

"Black and whites don't mix with the others. Got it."

"Thanks, Dongho. You're a real lifesaver," Minhyun replied him as he forced a smile onto his lips and headed back into his room. He was just going to sleep it away. Yes. All these thoughts would be gone after 7 days. He just needed to wait for 7 more days. Maybe he will have a change of heart.

Maybe.

6.12.31.05

Dongho scratched his wrist as it itched. Sometimes he wished he could just rub the timer away or cover it up with black ink. Why let fate decide who you should end up with. And what about people like Minhyun whose timer never worked? Had fate just forgotten about them? Abandoned them? It made Dongho feel uneasy that his house mate might never find love. The other seemed too aloof to even bother about it but his lack of care towards Dongho's decreasing timer was making him lose hope as well. Maybe he was expecting too much from their exchange yesterday. He stared at the spinning washing machine with a blank look. He let out another sigh, feeling himself lose hope the more he thought about it even though the notion of him finally meeting his soulmate should be exciting. Refreshing. Neat or something. Some form of happiness yet all he did was dread over the thought that it would reach 0 and fade away.

His phone buzzed and he answered it without checking the ID so it wasn't surprising when he was actually surprised by the striking voice belonging to his house mate.

"Dongie."

At once, he knew Minhyun was either drunk or wanted something because that was the nickname he had created for Dongho when half drunk while pleading him to carry him princess style once and the habit had stuck to him.

"Yeah?"

"Noooo. I told you before, call me Minnie or even Hyunnie."

"Where are you? I'm coming over to get you."

"Nnn. You're no fun." He could almost see the other's pout.

"Minhyun, it's the afternoon. What are you thinking, getting drunk at such an hour?" Dongho was usually the less sensible of the two but now he felt otherwise.

"I'm not... Drinking. I'm just sipping."

"Okay, okay. Hand it over to whoever is actually sober enough to tell me where you are."

"Hmph... Why don't you try finding me instead?"

"Min-" Dongho was cut off by the long beep that signified the end of a call and he groaned. What was Hwang Minhyun up to this time? Still, Dongho couldn't help but worry for his friend. There had to be a reason why he was drinking in the afternoon since he hardly drank in general. He tried calling Minhyun's close friends to see if anyone knew of the idiot's whereabouts but they either pretended not to or just flat out didn't want to tell Dongho. He groaned and heard the washing machine beep as well.

"Okay, Minhyun. 1 point to you."

5.5.10.20

"Minhyun, come on!"

"Hah! I won!"

The two house mates were playing a console game and Minhyun won again. "This game ."

"No. You just at games," the other cackled evilly as he nudged Dongho. Dongho clicked his tongue and bumped him back. "Ow. That hurts."

"Serves you right for teasing me."

"No fair!"

Minhyun then attacked his sides where he was weakest and Dongho burst into laughter, rolling around the couch as he tried to escape from his house mate's tickles to no avail.

"No, please! I surrender," Dongho cried out while laughing, trying to grab Minhyun's hands but unsuccessfully as he tried to block his sides as well. Their laughter echoed throughout the small house until it gradually died off when Minhyun stopped tickling him. Minhyun hovered on top of Dongho with his hands on both his sides to prevent himself from crushing the male below him. Dongho wheezed softly, smiling until he looked up and noticed the look in Minhyun's face. He wasn't smiling which made Dongho automatically stop smiling as well.

"Minhyun to earth?" he called out and his friend flinched.

"Oh. Sorry. I think I'm going to sleep now. It's getting late, huh."

"Huh? Oh crap. Is it?" Dongho took his phone to check the time but Minhyun had already disappeared. "It's only... Minhyun?"

Dongho was confused. It was only 8pm and he knew the other usually slept at 11pm. He sighed and wondered if something had happened between them but didn't let himself drown in such thoughts as he switched to a solo game.

3.23.54.16

Dongho ran as fast as his legs could bring him after he had received a call. Usually, he wouldn't be too bothered but it was already midnight and he was worried for his housemate. Jonghyun and Aron was supporting the drunk male when Dongho arrived. He greeted them and apologised for Minhyun's behavior as of late even though he wasn't at fault as they handed him over.

"Noooo. I want another," Minhyun whined and tried to climb back to Jonghyun and Aron who kept pushing him back to Dongho.

"Come on, Min. You already had tons," Aron said and Jonghyun sighed.

"Take care of him, Dongho. He's been drinking non stop recently."

"Yeah. Sorry, guys. And thanks for calling. Come on, Minhyun. Let's go home."

"No!!" Minhyun whined childishly again and tried to struggle out from his hold but Dongho kept a tight hold around his waist.

"Min! Don't be like this. It's already midnight."

"So?! It's just midnight."

"Yeah and I need sleep. You need sleep. We have work tomorrow." Minhyun stopped struggling and breathed in deeply before Dongho noticed how tired he looked. "Come on, buddy. Let's get you home, okay?"

"Carry me."

"What."

"Carry me." Minhyun swing Dongho's hand while pouting. He groaned and rolled his eyes.

"Okay. Fine. Come on. Get up." He lowered his body and Minhyun hurriedly climbed on with a giddy smile that Dongho didn't see. The weight on his shoulders weren't unfamiliar as he had done this before long ago when Minhyun was being playful and wanted to be carried after he had gone to gym and also took a shower. But at the same time, it was different. "Did you lose weight?"

"Hnn? I don't know," was the tired response he got from the other.

"Min, are you alright? Has work been too hard?" Dongho questioned, trying to show that he cared for his friend but Minhyun was silent. He guessed the other may have fallen asleep so he decided to keep quiet.

But Minhyun wasn't.

2.19.16.40

"Not again." Dongho rubbed his forehead. His friend was missing again. He didn't know why but he could feel Minhyun spiraling out of control ever since the week started. Ever since he had confirmed that there were only 7 days left before he might meet his one true soulmate. He was barely home and even if he was, he would lock himself in the bathroom because he was too busy throwing up whatever he had ingested which was mostly alcohol. Dongho's forehead creased, pumping up his anger so he could tell his house mate off when he saw him but the moment he laid his eyes on his housemate, all those thoughts just... Disappeared. His friend just looked devastated and lost that he didn't even recognise Dongho when he helped him up. His face was pale despite his pinkish cheeks. His eye bags were even more evident than usual and his eyes were red rimmed as if he had been crying uncontrollably. 

"Time to go home, Minhyun-ah," Dongho said softly. Minhyun didn't answer him as he leaned his whole weight onto him. Once they reached their shared house, Minhyun went straight to the toilet and once again, started emptying the contents of his stomach but this time, Dongho squatted beside him and patted his back. He handed him tissue when his house mate waved his arm frantically and stayed with him until he could finally move away from the toilet bowl. Minhyun leaned against the tiled toilet wall and stared hazily at Dongho who sat on the opposite side. "Feeling better?"

Minhyun let his gaze fall as he shook his head. Dongho sighed and straightened his back.

"Want to tell me what's wrong?"

"It's... Nothing," Minhyun replied and Dongho frowned.

"Nothing? You're killing yourself and it's nothing?! Don't you know how worried I am? Minhyun-"

"Don't lecture me, Kang Dongho," Minhyun hissed and Dongho found himself shutting up. "I'm finding a new place to shift to tomorrow. You can live here with your soulmate when you meet them."

Dongho was stunned. "What are you saying, Minhyun?"

"I'm saying that I'll shift out. Surely your soulmate won't want to stay together with someone else who isn't their partner," Minhyun said while trying to push himself up but still wobbled. Dongho hurriedly got to his feet as well.

"Hey hey. Don't be irrational now. We chose to stay together here because the rent is cheaper shared by the both of us. Where are you going to go without a proper plan? There's only--" Dongho stopped when Minhyun pushed his face, trying to cover his mouth but his hand slipped down to his chin. "Minhyun. Don't behave like a child."

"I'm not. Just... Just leave me alone."

"That's not fair. Why do you get to decide that we should be apart just because I could be meeting my soulmate soon?" Dongho asked, feeling hurt. Did all their years together mean nothing at all to the other? He was in utter disbelief.

"Because I don't want to see your soulmate!" Minhyun barked and Dongho froze. It took him a few moments to process what Minhyun had just spat out but by then, the drunk male was already pushing himself out from the toilet.

"Minhyun..."

20.59.01

Dongho covered his timer again with his long sleeve as he sat in front of Minhyun who he was finally able to see after disappearing for a whole day. He had been up all night just waiting for the beep of the apartment door and for his tall obnoxious house mate to walk in.

"So? Where were you?" Dongho asked him. "It's like 3 am now."

Minhyun fiddled with his sleeves as he didn't look Dongho in the eyes as if he had been caught doing something guilty. "I was... Just..."

"Just what? Drinking again? Working late night shifts on a Friday night? Minhyun, talk to me." Dongho realised he missed the talkative goofy man. Minhyun had just changed so much in a week's time that it scared him. The man he had feelings for was losing control of his life even though all Minhyun was about was control.

"I... Was at Aron's."

"Don't lie to me," Dongho snapped and Minhyun flinched. "I know you can't go to Aron's place because you're allergic to his dogs and you're not even sneezing so don't. Lie. To. Me."

Minhyun curled up his fists and pursed his lips. His eyes settled on Dongho's covered wrist and he brought his hands up to his face. "I'm sorry."

"Don't apologise, Min. Please. I'm worried for you. I want to know if there's something troubling you and if I can help you."

Minhyun shook his head and Dongho felt like giving up since he knew how stubborn the other could get but not this time. Not when he felt like his friend would vanish if he let him go. Dongho held his hand and he felt Minhyun wanting to pull it away.

"Minhyun, tell me what's going on in your mind. Please?"

Minhyun gulped and he tensed up but before he could say a word, tears were already finding their way out from his tear ducts. Dongho let him cry, embraced him and patted his back as he cried. "I'm sorry. I'm really sorry."

"Min, don't be sorry. I don't even know what you're sorry for." It hurt Dongho to see his 5 year one sided love cry like this. Even more so when he felt Minhyun shaking in his hold and clutching him back so tightly. But he could only try to comfort him.

"I'm sorry for making you worry about me even though you're about to meet your soulmate soon. I'm really hopeless."

Dongho raised his brows, uncertain where this was going but it made him hold onto Minhyun tighter. "No, it's fine. I'm not going to stop being friends with you even after I meet them."

Minhyun whimpered and Dongho could almost feel desperation in their embrace. Why, he didn't know.

"I'll miss you," Minhyun said softly.

"What are you talking about, you idiot? I'm not going anywhere."

"But once you meet your soulmate, everything is going to change, right? Whether we like it or not," Minhyun replied him and Dongho didn't know how to respond but if there was one thing he knew, it was that he still wasn't going to let Minhyun ruin himself.

"Even if things do change, Minhyun-ah, I will still care for you as a friend. If there's anything troubling you, I will still want to help you. If you're in danger, I'll want to be there to get you out."

"What if... I don't want things to change?"

His question made Dongho frown. "What do you mean?" He tried to move back to see Minhyun's expression but the other held on tight, preventing him from moving out of the embrace now.

"I don't want things to change."

"Yeah, I get that but... Didn't you just-"

"I'm selfish. I'm tired. I'm losing my mind. I'm losing it, Dongho..."

"Minhyun... Is this... Are you..." Dongho suddenly feared that the cause of Minhyun's spiralling was him. "Is it... Because of me?"

"W-what... Are you..." Minhyun's voice was shaky and he couldn't even bring himself to complete his sentence. Dongho felt conflicted. Did Minhyun share his feelings? Were they both actually...

"Minhyun. Let go."

"Nn." He felt Minhyun shake his head against his neck but Dongho raised his hands and pushed his shoulders back. Minhyun didn't have enough strength to hold on anymore since he was still sobbing.

"Stop crying. You still look like a handsome fool even when you're bawling your eyes out," Dongho said and Minhyun unintentionally laughed. Dongho always had a way to lift his spirits up. He rubbed Minhyun's cheeks with his thumbs and sighed. "Wait here."

"Un..."

Dongho got up and took a pen from his room. He plopped back down in front of Minhyun and popped the lid off. Minhyun watched as Dongho drew a line in front of his timer, confusing the other.

"There."

"Huh?"

"One day. I gave myself one more day," Dongho said and Minhyun was still confused.

"I don't... I don't get it?"

Dongho took his hand. "One more day for you and me to settle this. Okay?"

"Dongho, it doesn't work that way."

"It does now."

Minhyun's lips trembled and he bit down on it as he nodded. "One day?"

"Yep. What shall we do?"

"A date."

"Let's get moving then. We have a whole day to ourselves. Starting now."

Minhyun sniffled and nodded, heading to the bathroom quickly to clean up. Dongho looked down at his timer that still continued decreasing. Soulmate or not, this was definitely more important. Minhyun was more important. Nothing else had ever topped that especially not some measly numbers on his wrist.

|.15.34.49

"Where should we go?"

"I don't know but you look stunning."

"Oh shut up."

"Dongho-ah."

"What?"

"Let's sing karaoke."

"Sure."

|.10.20.56

"I feel like eating bbq."

"You love meat after all."

"Hey, Min."

"Mm?"

"Let's have bbq for lunch."

"Eh... That's such a dinner meal though."

"Does it matter?"

"No. Let's go."

|.8.55.10

"That was great. I'm pleased and my stomach is even more pleased."

"Hahaha. If anyone is trying to chase you, they just have to feed you, don't they?"

"No! I'm not so... Easy."

"Funny. Let's go to the arcade."

"Okay."

|.8.23.04

"Hah! I'm winning again."

"Ugh. I thought you at games."

"I do but guess who more than me."

"If you answer that damn question-"

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry! Why don't we play the crane machine instead?"

|.5.45.37

"Man, the time sure flew by. Where are we off to next?"

"Why don't we drive down to the beach?"

"Now?"

"We have time, Minhyun. We have time."

"Right."

|.3.04.22

They laid down on the beach side by side. With a stomach still filled with meat from earlier, neither of them were hungry so they just ate ice cream while laying down on the sandy beach. Usually Minhyun wouldn't agree to it but today was an exception. It was already dark so there was no one else around. The sound of the sea crashing against the shore was calming and the breeze was chilly.

"Ugh. Its so cold."

"We could head back to the car."

"Nah. Don't wanna."

"Oh geez, Baekho. What if you catch a cold?"

"Then you'll take care of me like always."

"Yeah, right. No way."

Not when the one taking care of you will no longer be me.

The following absence of words was still comfortable as they laid there and counted the stars. Counted their memories. Counted the time.

|.2.35.12

"Hey, Dongho?"

"Mm?"

"Do you remember when we first met?"

"Who would forget it."

"You were so silly. You had forgotten your keys and your wallet at your old place and I had to drive you all the way there to get them."

"Tsk. Don't make fun of me now."

"But it was fun. I remember you kept humming to the songs on the radio softly until I actually sang along and it was like all hell broke loose."

"Mmm... I was shy, okay?"

Minhyun giggled but it stopped. "How much longer now?"

"Do you really want me to check? We could just ignore it."

"I want to know."

Dongho sighed and lifted his wrist, pulling his sleeve lower. "Almost 2 hours and a half left."

Minhyun was silent for a bit before he turned to face Dongho. "Do you think you will meet them here?"

"Hah? Who would come to the beach at this hour?"

"Uh... Your soulmate?"

Dongho snorted and put his timer away. "Right, right. Cause fate is such a fickle ."

"Oh. You cursed."

"Mmm..." Dongho rolled over as well and they stared each other in the eyes. If this was the last time, they wanted to both savor the moment. Keeping it in their memories forever. For better or worse.

|.30.45

"Min?"

"Hmm?"

"Why have you never said a word about it before this?"

Minhyun opened his eyes a little wider before gazing downwards. "I... Didn't want things to change. I was hoping that... You know." He lifted his own hand and looked at the timer that had never once moved. "It may sound grim but maybe... Just maybe your timer would stop like mine someday. Then I would make a move but... Guess that's impossible now, huh?"

Dongho chuckled and shrugged. "Well, timer is still ticking. Still no soul in sight."

"Hmmm... Maybe it's a mermaid," Minhyun said jokingly to ease the pain that was starting to make him tear up again. Even in the dim moonlight, Dongho could still tell Minhyun was becoming emotional again and it didn't help that he was also affected by it.

"Maybe. Or maybe it'll be an alien," He said, going along with the joke. Minhyun let out a chuckle and scooted closer. Dongho gulped and moved an inch forward as well.

"Ooh. A vampire?"

Closer.

"Werewolves are cooler."

Closer.

"You want a werewolf for a partner? All those fur is going to make me allergic."

"Oh right. Maybe not then."

Closer.

Fingers intertwining.

"Okay. What about... Me?"

Dongho stiffened. They were barely inches away now and Minhyun's tone was serious. He gulped and felt his throat dry up as he leaned forward a little more.

"I still have time to think about it, don't I?" Dongho said teasingly but Minhyun didn't reply him. Instead, he closed the distance and kissed him gently. Soft like marshmallows. Sweet like chocolate. Lovingly like the 7 years together.  As if they were made for each other. Yet painful all the same. They parted and opened their eyes slowly, eyeing one another cautiously. They knew they shouldn't have but they did it anyways as if saying one last goodbye to their feelings for one another. "I'm scared."

"Of what?"

"Of losing you."

Minhyun's expression was one of regret and longing as he squeezed Dongho's hand. "You won't. Even if... You get a soulmate, I'll... I'll try to be around. You know... Since I'm your friend and all that."

"But Min, I-"

"Don't say it now. Please?"

"I'm sorry. I... Don't want to regret this."

"Dongho, you might have a completely new life tomorrow. Don't make this harder for the both of us."

Dongho gritted his teeth but nodded. He held it in along with his tears. His own pain. His love. The very thought that everything that he ever wanted was today to never end. If he was to be stuck in a loop, he wanted to to be this day. The day where he held Minhyun in his hands and was able to love the other openly. The day he had always wished to come but feared as well, now he feared it was slipping away faster than he could hold onto. "Try not to drink yourself to death."

"I can't promise that."

"Minhyun, please. Promise me you'll take care of yourself."

Minhyun let out a sigh. "I promise that I'll always do laundry better than you."

Dongho chuckled and shook his head. "You're such a ."

"You're not any better than me."

"I know."

They looked at each other with such love dripping eyes that Dongho almost felt torn apart at the thought that Minhyun wasn't his soulmate. How could it be when they both loved each other? He squeezed Minhyun's hand and Minhyun leaned forward, pressing their foreheads together.

"I'll always be here for you. To support you. To make sure you're loved."

"No fair. You... You stopped me but here you are, saying stuff like this," Dongho said while trying his best not to burst into tears and just cling onto his friend.

"Sorry. Alcohol must still be messing with me."

"Nnn... I'm gonna cry."

"You could. Then your soulmate can see what a snotty brat you are and maybe dump you at once," Minhyun said with a tinge of jealousy and mischief. Dongho let out another snort and laughed.

"You're annoying."

"Heh. Could say the same to you. But I'm serious, Dongho. Even if you get a soulmate, I'll still.... Be here."

"I know and well, even if I get a soulmate, I'll still be here for you too."

"Great."

"Yep. Great."

The time trickled away as they laid there.

Waiting.

And waiting.

Until it started turning bright and they had both fallen asleep on the beach. Baekho was the first to wake up and he sat up in a jolt. He squinted immediately from the bright sunrise, confused out of his mind. He turned to Minhyun who was still sleeping soundly beside him and scratched his head. As he did that, he saw the timer on his wrist and froze. He moved it to the front and gasped softly before turning to Minhyun and shaking him up. He gazed around the empty beach before shifting his attention to the waking male.

"Nnn... What is it?" Minhyun mumbled as he was slowly becoming conscious again.

"M-min, look!"

Minhyun sat up and rubbed his eyes. "Look at what..." He saw Dongho shoving something to the front of his face and frowned. He held it with his half asleep state only to realise it was his friend's wrist. He mumbled and blinked his eyes open a little more to see what Dongho was trying to show him.

| 3.15

Minhyun rubbed his eyes and frowned, feeling awake now. "What's this?"

"My timer, of course."

"No, no. I mean. Why? I thought..."

"It's the same as yours, that's what."

"No, Dongho. I'm... So sorry but... I... I mean. I'm just... So speechless right now." Minhyun rubbed his thumb over Dongho's wrist and the ink came off.

3.15

"They didn't make it...."

"Yeah."

"I... Am I allowed to be happy about this?" Minhyun asked in a timid voice and Dongho raised his brows.

"Um... I... I don't know. I don't even know what to feel. I mean, it's... Crazy. We... I... We..."

Minhyun lunged forward and pulled Dongho into a desperate kiss to which he reciprocated as well. 7 years. And 5 years of just silent wishful thinking. Dongho knew his soulmate may have gone on but Minhyun was there. He had always been there and he didn't even know who his soulmate was so he didn't know how to genuinely feel sad for someone he has had no attachments to. But his feelings for Minhyun were genuine even if they weren't made for each other. Even if they weren't fated to be together.

But they still found each other.

"I've loved you since I met you," Minhyun confessed immediately, not about to take the chance that maybe the timer just broke and a random person could come running down and confessing their utterly sudden love to Dongho.

"You have?!"

"Yes! It's crazy but like, my timer has been broke since the day I was born so... I was free to love anyone I wanted without having to wait for my soulmate. And I fell for you. 7 years and 7 days. I remember."

"Wow. Yeah... 7 years and 7 days."

"So..."

Dongho couldn't not smile as he hugged Minhyun and kissed him back. A part of him was relieved although another prayed for the lost star that would never know. But it meant he could be with Minhyun without having to think about the timer's existence anymore and that nothing was holding him back from showing the other all his love. "I love you too."

"Sweet."

"Mm... Sweet indeed, Minnie."

"Ah! You finally called me that."

"Yeah yeah. Shut up."

"Dongie~~"

"Ew. No. Cringy. Ew."

"HAHAHHA. I'm definitely going to use that more often now."

Fin