The Confession

The Second Snowfall
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sakura had been looking forward to Saturday all week. She already picked her outfit and shoes a few days before. Yena was teasing her almost all the time, but she had run out of energy to argue with her hyperactive roommate. Maybe she’s getting used to it, she’s not sure of it herself. Sometimes she laughs along with Yena.

The day finally comes and Sakura was waiting for Eunbi to pick her up in front of the student hostel. Along with Yena by her side. She is not sure why her roommate is there.

“Yena, what are you doing here?” she asked.

Yena was grinning from ear to ear, "I bet the hot unnie will confess to you today. I mean it's Nami Island! It’s so freaking romantic! It’s a heaven for couples!"

Sakura stared at her friend and shook her head, "Stop it with your imagination. We're just there to eat lunch."

"There is no reason why would anyone go to Namiseom just to eat dosirak. It’s not even that delicious," refutes Yena.

"I bet she's confessing today. Let’s bet on this, unnie!"

"Why should I? She's not going to confess anything. Don't be ridiculous."

"Okay, let’s do this. If she confesses to you today, you'll do my laundry for 2 weeks!"

Sakura scoffed, “Why should I do your laundry?!”

“Well, if she didn’t make her move, and you’re just there to stuff your face with rice, then I’ll do your laundry for 3 weeks.”

Sakura hesitated for a while, thinking about the tempting offer. Having Yena doing her laundry is like winning a lottery.

“Okay, let’s bet on this!”

A few minutes later, a blue Hyundai parked right in front of them. Eunbi exited her car and walked to Sakura and Yena. She was obviously dressed up for the day, with her ankle length dark blue velvet jacket. Her hair was let loose, and she tucked half it behind her left ear. Her face beams when she saw Sakura, as if she was the only one there. Yena is more like a potted plant in her eyes.

“Hi Kkura, good morning,” she greeted, her voice gentle.

“Morning, Eunbi unnie,” Sakura replied.

Yena glanced at the both of them who simply gazing at each other lovingly.

She cleared , “Ehemm. Choi Yena is here.”

Eunbi turned to look at her, “Oh hey, Yena! Haven’t seen you in a while.”

Yena sulked, “Sakura is the only person you see. How could you, unnie.”

Eunbi put her arms around Yena and they hugged.

Sakura stared at them, dumbfounded. But the two of them are still hugging, and Eunbi seems really friendly with her roommate.

She panicked, “Wh-What is happening here? Since when are you two close with each other? Yena explain this, Eunbi unnie, explain this to me, someone-

Eunbi looked at Sakura, amused.

“I’m friends with Yena, didn’t she tell you that? We always meet when I go to get my coffee, and sometimes we chat.”

Sakura stared at Yena who was still wrapping one arm around Eunbi. Yena let go immediately and stands straight like a model student.

“Well, I’m afraid you’ll murder me in my sleep if I tell you that I’m friends with her. You get jealous really easily-

Sakura quickly put a hand on Yena’s mouth and pulled her aside.

“Ah, Yena! Didn’t you have that extra class this morning?”

“Mmmph mmmmph?”

“Yes, that one! Go!”

She pushed Yena aside and grabbed Eunbi’s arm, “Unnie, let’s go!”

Eunbi grinned, “Okay, let’s go.”

 

**

 

To get to Nami Island, they have to drive about one hour to get to the port. And then they will get on the ferry that will take them to the little island.

The car drive was awkward at first. Sakura was still reeling from the shock of Yena being close to Eunbi. She can’t imagine the things they talked about behind her back, all the embarrassing stuff from her everyday life. Yena knows it all. Her roommate even have a collection of her weird sleeping photos, in a password-protected folder on her phone. She takes note to murder Yena in her sleep tonight. It should be easy.

“Yena is such a cute friend, there mustn’t be a dull day living with her,” Eunbi suddenly said.

Sakura sighed, “I think I aged faster living with her.”

Eunbi laughed, “Don’t worry, she didn’t tell me weird things about you.”

“Also she’s more like a younger sister to me, so don’t try to kill her or anything,” she added with a chuckle.

At that moment Sakura wished she could become small like a tinker bell and fly away somewhere. She was too embarrassed; she cannot even turn to look at Eunbi. She looked out the window, as the scenery changes from the modern buildings to snow covered houses.

Eunbi the radio and connects it with her phone via Bluetooth. A song was playing from her playlist.

"This song is so nice. What is it called?" Sakura asked.

"This is one of my favourite song, it’s by Brown Eyes, it’s called Already One Year. It’s a bit old though," she replied, embarrassed.

Sakura had calmed down and decided to forget about Yena for now. She turned to face Eunbi.

"I like the melody. What’s the lyrics about?"

"Hmm it's about a failed relationship, and even though one person had moved on and found someone new, the other person is still hanging on to the old memories hoping she will come back. Even though a year already passed."

"Ohhh." Sakura replied short.

They continued in silence for a full minute, both holding back words.

Sakura suddenly broke the silence, "It's never easy to forget someone you loved for so long, all the memories you made with that person lives on with you, even though times had passed. Moving on, it’s not easy."

Eunbi nodded, "They said that time will heal everything, but sometimes it takes more than just time.”

Sakura replied, her voice low, “Sometimes it takes a person to heal the pain. But it’s not easy to open up to a new person."

"Hmm maybe if two heartbroken people meet, they will be able to heal each other?" Eunbi asked, glancing at her.

Their eyes met briefly.

"Maybe.”

Eunbi cleared , trying to lifts the mood, "Do you have any favourite song, Kkura?"

Sakura took Eunbi's phone and begin searching on the streaming service site for the song she wants.

"Ah it’s not here. I should try Japanese site."

"What song are you looking for?"

"Japanese version of Nala's solo song from The Lion King Musical."

"What is that?"

Sakura smirked, "SHINPAI NAISHA!"

Eunbi shook her head, "Ahh Sakura, come on! Not that song!"

“Why not? You asked for my favourite song, and that’s the song!”

“Pick another one!”

Sakura grinned, “Then how about this Lion King OST-

“Enough with Lion King!”

Eunbi reached with one hand, trying to take the phone away.

"Just focus on driving! It’s dangerous!"

"Don't pick weird songs please I beg you..."

Sakura laughed and hid the phone under her thigh. The older girl attempted to take it back but suddenly Sakura held her hand and put it on her lap instead. That gesture made her weak and she surrendered immediately.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter