Pet & Maru

The Second Snowfall
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

#8 – Pet

 

“Can we keep a pet?” Sakura asked to her wife during dinner.

“A pet? Why do you suddenly want a pet?” Eunbi asked, curious.

They were having kalguksu for dinner because Eunbi crave for something Korean.

“Because… you know, sometimes you goes for business trips and I’m lonely,” Sakura reasoned.

Eunbi nodded, “What kind of pet do you want though?”

“How about cats?” Sakura replied almost instantly.

“Cats? They are quite hard to handle, aren’t they? Maybe we should start something like fish or bird?”

Sakura looked at her wife, feeling incredulous.

“What?”

“I don’t like fish or bird.”

“You still want to adopt a cat?”

Sakura nodded, “Cats are adorable! They are furry and feisty!”

Eunbi sighed, “But we’re both working. Who will take care of the poor cat?”

“It’s not that hard to raise a cat. You can just give them food, water and a litter box.”

“Who will take care of the litter box?”

“I will! I’ll take care of it all!” Sakura replied, all fired up.

Eunbi shrugged, “You can’t even take care of your gaming space, how could you take care of a cat?”

Sakura was seriously annoyed by her wife’s remark. She let out a scoff and put down her spoon and chopsticks with a thud. Eunbi sensed that she had said something wrong. She looked at her wife, who was staring at her, clearly wounded.

“I’m only asking for a cat, it’s not like I’m asking for a child. And you’re already judging me like this,” she said, serious.

Eunbi swallowed, “Kkura, I-

Sakura stood up from the table and stomped into the room. Eunbi had lost her appetite, and frankly, she was taken aback with Sakura’s reaction. She had no idea that Sakura would be that sensitive about pet adoption. And they haven’t even talk about having children yet.

The older girl cleared up the table and cleaned the kitchen. She knew she had made Sakura upset, and she was thinking of the right words to say to fix the damage she did.

When she entered their bedroom after cleaning up, she found Sakura sitting on the bed, leaning her back at the bed headboard with a Switch in her hands. She was focusing on playing her game and ignored Eunbi’s entrance. The atmosphere was tense in the room. Eunbi cautiously walked to the bathroom to wash up before bed. And Sakura continues to ignore her.

After washing up, Eunbi climbed onto the bed and sits next to her wife. The younger girl still didn’t glance at her, not even once. Eunbi wished she could take back what she said. She gathered her strength and turned to her wife.

“Kkura-ya,” she called gently.

Sakura didn’t budge.

“I’m sorry,” she continued.

The younger girl paused pressing her buttons.

“I’m sorry for saying that you can’t take care of the cat, I wasn’t thinking when I said that.”

“I didn’t mean it that way, I’m sorry.”

Sakura sighed and put the game down on her lap.

“I know how you always view me,” she said suddenly.

Eunbi held her breath.

“Yes, Sakura is the immature one, who can’t even take care of herself,” she added.

“I-I never said that.”

“But that’s how you make me feel.”

Eunbi blinked, speechless.

“When I said I want to take care of a pet, I want to do it together with you. But you don’t seem that enthusiastic as I am,” Sakura added.

“I’m sorry, love… I didn’t mean it like that.”

Eunbi took Sakura’s hands into hers and held it tightly.

“I want to adopt a pet with you, or… have a baby with you. I’m willing to do it, as long as I’m with you.”

“I’m sorry if I made you feel that way, but you’re the one who has been taking care of me since we’re married.”

“You cook meals for me, you wake me up in the morning, you even organizes the closet, I mean, you’re better than Marie Kondo.”

Sakura gave a faint smile, “Now you’re just sugarcoating it.”

The older girl smiled, “I mean it. You complete my life, Sakura.”

Sakura turned to her wife and smiled, “You complete my life too.”

They continue to held hands as they exchanged smiles with each other.

“Let’s go to the pet store tomorrow and get a kitty, our kitty. How about that?” Eunbi suggested.

Sakura’s eyes lit up, “Really?”

“Yes, I mean we need to expand our family a bit, don’t we?”

Sakura grinned, “Our family, hmm that sounds nice.”

“Maybe after we raise a cat, we can raise a baby too?” Eunbi asked.

Sakura looked away, “About that…”

“I-I was just saying it, doesn’t mean that I want it like… r-right now,” she added, stuttering.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter