The Blackout

The Second Snowfall
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

There was an early group meeting on Monday regarding a special project. Three design teams are to work together for the project. All team leaders, staff including interns are gathered at the Conference Room that was located on the 2nd floor.

Well, everyone had arrived, except the leader from Team 2.

“Where is she? It’s already 9am,” Park Haeyoon muttered to herself, but it was loud enough for everyone to hear it.

Hyewon and Sakura exchanged looks with each other, puzzled.

“Where is Miss Kwon? She had never missed a meeting before,” asked Hyewon.

Sakura shook her head. She glanced outside the window countless times and stared at the door, hoping Eunbi would suddenly appear. But she was still nowhere in sight.

She took out her phone, “Should I call her? Maybe she forgot about the meeting?”

All of the sudden, the door was flung open; and stood there the person they were waiting for.

“I’m sorry for being late,” Eunbi said as she walked into the room.

She quickly took a seat beside Hyewon. Sakura glanced at her team leader who came fashionably late. She don’t seems like her usual self today, it looks like she picked her clothes in a hurry, like putting together a red plaid coat with a yellow khaki pants. Even her makeup was very minimal with only foundation and lipstick.

The meeting begins with the briefing about the special project. It was a project that includes the community; mainly for company branding and media buzz.

“We are going to visit Hanlim Art High School in 2 weeks time. They had asked us to design their school uniform and would like us to join in their school festival,” Park Haeyoon were briefing about their project.

She continued, “We will go there on their open day and open a booth for the visitors. We will also be giving a career talk. At the same time, I need a team to conduct surveys and interview with the students to find out the desirable uniform design that is specific for this school.”

“So Team 3 will be in charge of the talk, Team 1 will be in charge of the booth, and Team 2 will be in charge of the surveys.”

The work arrangement was obviously biased. Conducting surveys and interview would require more people and Team 2 are the team with the least member among the three teams.

Haeyoon glanced at Team 2’s leader, “Is this okay with you Miss Kwon? Can your team shoulder this responsibility?”

Eunbi was pressing her temple with her fingers and wasn’t focused at all.

“Miss Kwon, are you listening?”

Hyewon quickly poked Eunbi’s arm to bring her back to earth.

“Oh! Yes I do. That would be great,” she sprouted.

“What would be great?”

“Th-The team arrangement, yeah I’m okay with it.”

Haeyoon smirked, “Are you feeling well, Miss Kwon? You seems a bit… hungover?”

Eunbi cleared , “I’m all good, Miss Park. No need to worry about me. Let’s just get on with the meeting, shall we?”

 

**

 

Eunbi learned the lesson of drinking the night before work the hard way. Her head was throbbing and was dry. It was already 4pm but she was still feeling drowsy and felt like she could sleep anywhere. She entered the staff lounge propped herself on the sofa for a little rest.

She looked out the clear glass door and saw Sakura.

Suddenly her heart was aching in pain.

Sakura was laughing about something and she never looked more beautiful than this. Hyewon was with her, probably telling jokes in languages that only they understand. Eunbi realized that she can’t even speak Japanese, unlike Hyewon. They even look good together; they are about the same height, and also similar age.

They really suits each other.

Eunbi looked away and put a hand on her heart.

It hurts.

 

**

 

It was already 5pm. Sakura hurriedly finish typing up the minute meeting from their meeting today. She was appointed as a secretary for their team meetings.

Hyewon came to her desk, “Saku-chan, let’s go home together.”

“But I have to show this to Miss Kwon first,” Sakura replied.

“Hmm, she’s not in the office though. I think she’s already went back.”

“She went home early? That’s odd.”

“Maybe? She don’t seem well earlier. Anyway let’s go home now! We can stop by the best hotteok place on the way!” Hyewon said excitedly as she pulled Sakura’s hand.

Sakura let her hand go.

“Maybe next time.”

 

**

 

When Eunbi opened her eyes, the sun had already gone. She stood up immediately and checked her watch. It was already 6pm.

“Oh darn, can’t believe I fell asleep.”

She rushed out of the longue room. The office was empty, so she entered her office. She the lights, then picked up her things from the desk and shoved them in the bag. Suddenly she noticed that there was a pile of files that needed her approval on her desk.

Groaning, she sat on her chair and picked up one of the file.

She was skimming through her documents when there was a knock on the door. The door was open and a petite girl peeked in. Eunbi almost dropped her file when she saw her. It was Sakura. She entered the office without asking for permission.

“Miss Kwon, you’re not going home yet?” she asked.

“I still have some work to do. Why are you still here, Sakura? I thought you already left with… Hyewon.” Eunbi asked, nonchalant.

“I wanted to finish the minute meeting first and leave this on your desk before I leave.” She replied.

She walked closer and put a file on her desk.

“Okay, you can go home now.”

Sakura didn’t budge.

“Why are you still here?”

“Miss Kwon, are you okay?” she asked.

Eunbi looked up from her file and their eyes met. Sakura was staring at her with her round eyes, and she seems worried.

“I-I’m okay, why are you asking?”

“You don’t look so good today. I’m just wondering if you are sick.”

Eunbi’s lip curled up into a smile, “You’re worried about me?”

Sakura nodded, “Of course I do, you’re my…

She paused.

“My team leader.”

She has no idea what else to address Eunbi. They both knows that they are more than just team leader and intern, but not sure what exactly to call it.

“You should go home and rest if you’re not feeling well,” she added.

Eunbi could feel the magic that Sakura casts on her. Suddenly her headache is gone, and she felt like she just had 10 cups of coffee. It was already in the evening but she felt like her day had just begun. And this is all because of Sakura.

Maybe Sakura do feels the same way.

Maybe I shouldn’t give up too easily.

She stood up and grabbed her bag.

“Let’s go home together, Kkura. I’ll drive you home.”

Sakura shook her head, “It’s okay Miss Kwon. I really don’t want to trouble you, again.”

Eunbi walked to the door and looked at Sakura.

“You’re a real trouble, Sakura. But you’re my favorite kind of trouble.”

“Eh?”

“Let’s just go, shall we?”

They were on the way to the door when all of the sudden, the lights went out. Sakura was startled by the sudden darkness; she yelped and almost lose her balance. Eunbi quickly grabbed her waist and pulled her close. Sakura rested her forehead on Eunbi’s shoulder, trying to gain her footing. Their faces were only inches from each other; and Eunbi could feel Sakura’s breath on her neck. Panicked, she moved farther and held the girl’s arms.

“Ar-Are you alright?” she asked.

Sakura was gripping her arms tightly, “What’s going on? Why is it suddenly dark?”

“Maybe there’s a power trip. This happens sometimes. It usually will be back in a few minutes.”

“I-I hate the darkness,” Sakura mumbled.

“Here, you can hold on to hand-san.”

Eunbi reached for Sakura’s hand and intertwined their fingers t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter