The Undead Returns

The Second Snowfall
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sakura sat on the bench in front of the movie theater with a caramel flavored popcorn and two cup of colas. She came half an hour earlier than their promised time and wait for her boss to arrive. As she was waiting, she took off her scarf and folded it on her lap. That was when she realize.

It was the pink scarf that they bought together.

Sakura suddenly became restless; she was in such hurry that she did not noticed that she took that scarf out of many ones she own. She cannot let Eunbi saw her wearing it. It would be an irreversible mistake. Her team leader might get the wrong idea, and she really do not need drama in her life right now.

It’s not like she’s not going through the Kwon Eunbi phase or whatever.

“You’re early,” a familiar voice said.

Sakura looked up and met her gaze. It was Eunbi, casually dressed in jeans and white sweater and a blue scarf around her neck. She looked different from the Eunbi that she met in the office. This is more like the unnie from the café, who told her about first snow.

Sakura immediately stood up and greeted her, “Hi unnie! I-I mean, Miss Kwon! Sorry.”

She blamed Yena for addressing Eunbi as unnie so many times when they chat that she slipped up.

Eunbi chuckles, “You can call me unnie. It’s not like we’re in the office.”

“Really?”

The older girl nodded, “Sure, you can call me unnie when it’s not office hours. It’s not the first time you call me unnie anyway.”

Sakura looked down, embarrassed. She’s pretty sure she’ll be tortured for as long as she lives for what she did that night.

Darn you, Cherry Miyawaki.

 

**

 

They entered the movie hall and sat next to each other. The hall was already half-filled with people when they came in. They sat at the last row, right in the middle.

“What are we watching?” Sakura asked.

“The Undead Returns. I’ve been wanting to watch this movie but too scared to go alone,” Eunbi replied, slightly excited.

Sakura froze.

“It-It’s a horror movie isn’t it?”

“Yeah.”

“I can’t watch horror movies. I hate it.”

Eunbi looked at her, worried, “Oh. Well, I didn’t know that.”

“I get scared really easily, I don’t know if I can sit through this.”

Eunbi smiled sweetly at her.

“Kkura-ya come on, what’s there to be scared of? It’s just a movie.”

However, Sakura’s face had turned pale, and even Eunbi’s reassuring smile cannot convince her.

Suddenly the lights turned off, and the intro plays on the screen. Minutes later the eerie music accompanies the opening scene. A character was walking into the woods, alone.

Sakura cannot sit still.

She leaned to Eunbi and whispered, “Why would he go into the woods alone?”

“He wants to find something, I guess.”

She whispered again, “He’s gonna get killed by the ghost. I can’t watch this.”

Eunbi chuckled, “Let’s just watch it, relax.”

“It’s too scary. I can’t-

Suddenly Eunbi reached for her hand and intertwined her fingers with hers. Sakura was startled but she did not pull away. Eunbi turned to face Sakura, and their faces were only inches away from each other.

“If you’re scared, just hold my hand. I’m here.”

Sakura nodded and turned to the screen.

She stared at their clasped hands as her cheeks gradually turned warm. At that very moment, she does not care about the movie anymore. There were some intense scenes happening throughout the movie; blood spattering, heads chopped off, and intestines pulled out. The audience were screaming and covering their faces.

However, Sakura was calm. She had never thought watching a horror movie could make her feel so peaceful and serene. All the sounds of people screaming in the movie and the audience became inaudible. She leaned her back on her seat and tightened her grip on Eunbi’s hand. Though it was dark, she could feel the other girl caressing the back of her hand with her thumb; it was almost like a lullaby.

She took it back.

Maybe she is in the Kwon Eunbi phase.

Maybe it is more than a phase. She’s not sure.

But she knows one thing.

I like her.

Out of nowhere, she gained some strength from Cherry-san. She carefully rested her head on Eunbi’s shoulder. The older girl did not seem to mind at all and continued to watch the movie.

At this moment, she is not Team Leader Kwon.

She is just the girl that I met during the second snowfall.

 

**

 

“So, what do you think of the movie?” Eunbi asked.

“It’s scary.”

“Of course, it’s a horror movie. It’d be weird if it’s funny.”

“I don’t really know what was going on; there were too many gory scenes. Slashing, cutting, eyeballs, intestines, screams…”

Eunbi chuckled, “Oh Sakura. But you didn’t get scared?”

Sakura grinned, “I was. But your hand helped a lot.”

Eunbi was slightly flustered.

She cleared , “Well, say arigatou to the hand.”

Sakura bowed to Eunbi’s hand, “Hand-san, arigatou. Thank you for making me feel assured and less scared.”

Eunbi gasped, “You seriously thanked my hand and not me? My hand is part of my body, you should thank me too!”

“But it was your hand that I’m grateful to!” Sakura refuted.

The older girl scoffed, “To be fair, my shoulder play a part as well.”

Sakura laughed and looked away, ignoring her, she was enjoying this too much. Eunbi is just so fun to tease.

Abruptly, Eunbi grabbed her hand. Sakura tried hard to hide her blushing cheeks.

“Want to grab some coffee?” she asked sweetly.

Sakura tilted her head coyly and smiled, “Hmm, but one food voucher only allows one type of food. Do you want to use your second voucher now?”

Eunbi mouth was wide open, feeling incredulous.

“Wow Sakura, you really are something.”

“I’m just being fair.”

“No, I’m not going to use my second voucher.”

“Then no coffee.”

Eunbi pouted, “Fine.”

Sakura has never seen her

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter