The Interview

The Second Snowfall
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Choi Yena is a bright 20 years old student studying at Ewha Women University. She also does part time as barista at Yellow café 3 days a week, to help pay her tuition fees. Since the café is only walking distance from her dorm and campus, it is very convenient for her.

Yena loves her job; she loves greeting customers, smiling and make other people smile too. Her boss loves her as well, and she was awarded as best part time staff 3 months consecutively.

Something had been on Yena’s mind the past week. Her Japanese roommate, Sakura. She had offended her the other day, because of a picture of a female that still remains a mystery to her. And she had been thinking how she can help Sakura. To make it up to her.

As she was lost in thoughts, a customer came up to the counter. She knew that face.

It’s Miss Doppelganger!

Yena is sure Sakura is interested with Miss Doppelganger. She was shy and uneasy around her. She thinks her roommate would appreciate her if she help, like a supportive wingman.

I’m gonna try and get her number!

“Oh, hello there!” Yena greeted gleefully.

“Hello.” She replied short.

“What would you like to order?”

“A latte, hot please.”

“Hot like you? Okay ma'am.”

Did she just-

Eunbi stared at the usual barista who was acting unusual today. She wanted to comment but decided to take it as a compliment instead.

Yena was battling with herself. She knew she should not but there is a voice in her head keep on telling her to do it.

Let’s get her number and help Sakura!

But stop being so nosy, Yena! Sakura will get angry again!

But wouldn’t she’ll appreciate it more if I get her number for her?

She’ll forgive me for everything I did, and maybe help me fix my relationship with Juri unnie!

“So ma’am, do you want to join our mailing list?” Yena asked as she was putting a cup of hot latte on the counter.

“A mailing list? For the cafe?” Eunbi asked, puzzled.

Yena nods, “Yes, just give me your name and number!”

Eunbi shook her head, “I’m sorry, but I’m not interested.”

“You sure you dont want to join our mailing list? It’s full of benefits.”

“I’ve never heard of a café mailing list. Are you sure you’re not doing this just to get my number?” Eunbi asked with a smirk.

Yena gulped and slightly blushed. Though she wasn’t sure why she was blushing.

“Wh-why would I do that-

“I’m sorry, but I don’t date minors. You should be in school right now. I cannot believe they let a kid work here. Sorry.”

Eunbi grabbed her cup and turned around. Yena was left speechless. She stared at Eunbi until she was out of sight, still frozen in shock.

“Oh my I just got rejected! And I wasn't even interested in her!”

“Sh-she thinks I’m a minor? I’m 20 years old, I can even go to a bar!” She said to a colleague who was busy making a drink beside her.

He rolled his eyes. “Shut up Yena, stop hitting on customers and get back to work. She is clearly out of your league anyway.”

“Whoa, what did you say?”

He shrugged.

 

 

**

 

Sakura’s palm were sweating even though she is in an air-conditioned room. She clasped her hands together on her lap, as if that would make her less nervous.

The door opened, and her friend, Juri exited with two other people. She tried to read Juri’s face expression, but it was useless. Her friend seemed relaxed, not sure, if it went well or not. Was the interviewers scary? Or not?

“Miss Miyawaki Sakura, you can enter the room now,” said a voice.

Sakura immediately stood up, “Yes.”

She took a deep breath and walked to the door. Her eyes met Juri’s briefly. She gave her an assuring smile and mouthed the much needed ‘ganbatte’.

 

**

 

“Are you Miss Miyawaki Sakura?” the first interviewer asks. She was a woman in her mid 20s, and her gaze were sharp and her voice were firm. On the table was her name plate, Miss Park Haeyoon.

Sakura blanked out for a few seconds before replying, “Yes.”

Miss Park then continues to confirm the names of the other two girls in the room.

However, the reason Sakura blanked out was not Miss Park. It was the second interviewer, who sits right in the middle, that familiar face who was also staring back at her with an amused expression.

Kwon Eunbi.

On her table was her name plate, along with her title; Team Leader.

Miss Park was ready to ask her questions, “So Miss Miyawaki, tell me.”

“What was the reason you choose to intern in our company? You do know that we do not just take anyone in. We’re very particular about the people joining our team, even the interns,” she added.

Sakura came prepared. She had read tons of interview tips, discussed it with her friends and professors, and knew just what to answer.

“This company has a wonderful reputation as a great place to work,” she begins.

“You place high value on your employees and encourage them to learn, grow, and innovate inside the company. This means that employees happily work here for many years, far beyond the average length with one employer. And, according to your customers, the high quality of your products and services reflect your high employee satisfaction, which is not surprising.”

“This feels like a win-win-win for stockholders, employees, and customers, and I would be very happy to join this organization as an intern,” she replied with her almost fluent Korean.

The interviewers nodded in unison and ticked some things on their forms. All, except one person. Eunbi was staring at her, dumbfounded.

“Miss Miyawaki, wow,” she said suddenly. She was silent the entire interview, but not anymore.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter