The Rumor

The Second Snowfall
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“I’d like 3 Toffee Nut Frappuccino, and 3 chicken sandwiches,” Hyewon ordered over the counter.

She and Sakura were at the café near their office building, buying coffee and sandwiches using their team leader’s card.

“Is that all?” asked the cashier.

Hyewon turned to Sakura, “Would you like anything else, Saku-chan?”

Sakura hesitated but then she replied, “Shouldn’t we buy something for Miss Kwon? Since… she’s the one buying for us.”

“Hmm I think she already bought coffee for herself, when she bought yours.”

“Then, add one more sandwich for her. She could use some snack.”

Hyewon shrugged, “Alright then.”

“One more chicken sandwich.”

They sat at a table as they wait for the coffee to be ready. Hyewon opened her bag to take out her phone and something caught Sakura’s attention. An electronic device, bigger than a normal phone, with red and blue controllers at the sides.

“Is that a… Nintendo Switch?” she asked, curious.

Hyewon took it out, “Oh this? Yes.”

“You play Switch?” the intern asked, excited.

“Yes, I’m a bit embarrassed to say this, but I’m a gamer. Sometimes I play my Switch on the subway to kill the time.”

Sakura’s eyes opened wide, filled with excitement.

“No way! I’m a gamer too!”

Hyewon was shocked as well, “Oh really? What kind?”

“I have a Switch too, back home. And I play Playstation 4, also PC games!”

“I have a PS4 at my apartment!” She said excitedly.

“Seriously? I really miss playing my PS4! I haven’t even finished Spiderman!”

“I have Spiderman! Maybe you can come over my house and play!”

Sakura was over the moon, “Is that okay?!”

“Sure! I live alone anyway, so you can come and play anytime. What about this weekend?”

“Sounds good!”

And that’s how Kang Hyewon secured her date with Miyawaki Sakura.

 

**

 

“Miss Kwon, we bought you a sandwich,” Hyewon said as she put the bag on her boss’s desk.

Eunbi was trying to act as normal as possible, “Okay, but you can have it. I’m not hungry.”

Hyewon could see that her boss was acting weird. She was typing something on the computer but it was just nonsense letters on the keyboard. She had been working with Eunbi long enough to know if she was faking it. She decided to tests it out.

“It was Sakura who insisted to buy you something,” she said suddenly.

Eunbi stopped her fake typing and glanced at Hyewon.

Gotcha.

“She seemed worried if you’ll die of starvation. She’ll be sad if you don’t want it, but it’s okay, I’ll eat if you don’t want-

Eunbi cuts in, “Just leave it here.”

“Hmm but you said you’re not hungry…”

“Well, I am hungry now. Leave the sandwich here.”

“Alright, if you said so,” she said with a cheeky smile.

Eunbi tried to stay professional but she who getting more annoyed with this girl’s antics.

“Seems like you have a lot of free time, Hyewon.” She said, her tone serious.

Hyewon bit her lip, “No, I’m actually working on-

The team leader put a file on the table and said, “Re-do this design, and submit it this evening.”

Hyewon gulped, she took 2 weeks to finish the design and was approved after three revisions.

“But what’s wrong with my design, Miss Kwon? You’ve approved it yesterday.”

Eunbi crossed her arms as she stared at the tall girl standing in front of her.

 

“I just… don’t like it. Do it again.”

 

**

 

Juri and Sakura went home together after work. It was one of the rare days when Juri was released early from her office, and that is because her team leader, Miss Park had to attend her mother’s birthday party. The two Japanese interns took the bus and sits next to each other. Juri who was seemingly tired, begin to doze off in her seat, with her head wobbling back and forth. When the bus stops at the next station, Juri’s head hit the window glass and she was wide awake in seconds.

“Are we here yet?” Juri asked, panicked.

“Not yet, sleepyhead.” Sakura chuckled.

Juri groaned and closed her eyes again.

“Tired?” Sakura asked.

Juri let out a deep sigh, “Tired is an understatement. I’ve never worked this hard in my life before.”

“You’re lucky you’re in Team 2, you know.” She added.

Sakura smiled, she had been told that by other interns too. They were all jealous of her being in the most lax team with the most attractive team leader. Her thoughts were suddenly on Eunbi and she begin having mixed feelings. Thinking about Eunbi could leave her sleepless, again.

“Hmm, Juri?” she asked.

“Yeah?” she replied with her eyes still shut.

“About the thing you said the other day…”

“What thing?”

“Why did you told me not to be close with Miss Kwon?”

Juri opened her eyes and turned to look at her, “Oh that.”

Sakura forced a natural smile, “It’s just that you’re so against me being close with her. But you never told me the reason.”

Juri looked out the window for a bit before replying.

“I’ve heard a lot about her from my officemates, she’s not exactly an angel. They all said she’s nice and kind but, they said it’s all a façade, a mask.”

Sakura creased her eyebrows, “So it’s all hearsay?”

“Well, most of it yes. But did you know that Miss Kwon used to date Miss Park? My team leader, Park Haeyoon?”

Sakura’s mouth was wide open, shocked. “Woah. No, I didn’t know that.”

Juri nodded, “I was shocked when I found out too. They dated during high school, and when they met again as adults and they begin dating. But they broke up last year, and it was because Miss Kwon cheated on her.”

“Really?”

Juri continued, “You know how nice and caring team leader Kwon is, and I think it’s not impossible that he used her kindness to play with people’s feelings. Even Miss Park can’t take it anymore and dumped her.”

Sakura looked away, trying to take it all. It was too much information, and she didn’t know what to feel at the moment. The Eunbi she knows, the gentle person holding hands with her, seems so different from what the rumors are saying. She wanted to shout out that Eunbi is not someone like that, but at the same time she’s having doubts, what if she is someone like that?

Juri continued, “I know it’s not my business with whatever it is going on between you and Miss Kwon, but as a friend, I just want you to be careful.”

 

**

 

It was another day at RMR Designs. It seems like a typical Thursday. Everyone were busy at his or her desks, team leaders were reviewing the materials for the upcoming meeting.

No one noticed Kang Hyewon who was walking stealthily towards Sakura’s desk. She was holding something behind her back. The unaware intern was busy making the report on the couple scarf designs that the team leader asked her to finish by today. Hyewon stopped just behind her chair and poked Sakura’s shoulder playfully to get her attention.

Sakura looked behind her with her big eyes, shocked, “Hyewon!”

Hyewon put a finger on her lips, ges

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter