thirty

Let's date
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was the day that she finally waited for, Hanbin’s birthday.

She had everything sorted out and planned already and also had booked a private café near her house. She was left with decorations and a cake to buy. There was no specific theme planned for the birthday. Jieun did not think of any theme as she was already running out of time to come out with one. In preference, she was more comfortable with doing a no-theme party which at least, did not require her with a lot of budget to waste to. Jieun had a perspective of keeping things as minimal as possible as long as you are sincere of doing something then, that is all matter about. Efforts bring out the quality. She was just not into something high-end stuffs as it would get her into a cocky state and ruin the whole party.

However, she still got another six hours to kill the time and to be in her scrubs and doing more rounds in the hospital.

But her heart would not stay still. She was practically excited, on throwing a surprise for Hanbin. They had not call or text much because Hanbin was still on his promoting weeks. Not just that, he had gone busier than usual and managers were told to keep an eye for them for the whole week, just to make the boys focused on promoting their comebacks well. But Hanbin promised her that he would come today and she hoped he kept his promise.

“Is there something on the food or what?” Dowoon flopped down next Jieun, in the cafeteria. Along with Jae following him from behind, and Minjun. Dejected and fatigue faces were shown. Minjun sighed and quickly shoved the food inside his mouth without hesitation. Seemed like he had been hungry for the whole day.

Jae was not wearing his whitecoat, instead he had his scrubs on.

“Slow down, bro. You don’t want to get choke right after seeing all those wounds in the ward.” Minjun almost puked when he heard that. “Relax, it just wounds. Nothing’s bad about it. But please, don't say that here.” He said, while chewing the food in his mouth. Totally inappropriate but well, he was hungry and starved to death, Jieun thought so she shrugged it off.

“Not feeling like eating, do you?” Dowoon nudged her elbow before took a bite of his rice. The lanyards that was hanging on his neck with cards tied to it, were bumping and crashing each other while he munched the food.

“It’s not like that.” She straightened her body.

“I just can’t wait to end today’s shift.”, earning a look of eagerness with question mark floating on their head, from all three of them. But only Jae who did not held it for too long since he already knew, what this was all about.

“You been saying that since the first day you work here.” Minjun rolled his eyes, shoving the food for the second time.

“No, today is way more important.”

“Everyday is important to you, Jieun. Your sleep is important to you.” She could feel his feet tapping on the ground a few times while letting a very sarcastic and cynical snort. Minjun was clearly not pleased. But not to Dowoon as he was pleased with this shady conversation.

“Sleep is important for your health and very beneficial if you have a good schedule for your sleep pattern. And sleep also can bring out you bea-“

“Oh, and here we go again to another episode of Hey! What’s up Dr. Choi is Here and for today’s topic is Sleep Is Important, part 25. And today’s guest is-“

“Couldn’t you be at least attentive on what am I going to say.” She groaned, eyes piercing towards Minjun while Minjun sticking out his tongue, swaying his body from right to left in an annoying manner.

“I’ve heard it enough, Jieun. I even memorized your whole script because it’s just the same old topic about sleep.”

“You’re so annoying.”

Dowoon could keep his laugh anymore and blurted out so sudden. Jae also admitted that it was a very entertaining lunch to see a free skit that was happening right in front of him. He was quiet, true but that just because he was way too busy observing all those mini bickerings and he too, was observing Jieun. The way her eyes would narrow when Minjun talked back at her, how would pout while heaving the breathy sighs she made. And how her face was very centered when she was explaining the sleep effects on human body. It was quiet well a show, for Jae.

A Duchnne smile crossed his lips. Very entertaining. 

“You’re welcome.” She could not take it that Minjun was being ridiculously annoying at the moment. So, she changed to another topic which caught everyone surprise at the table. Not so surprised but more of a why so sudden question.

“Well, does anyone here did not want something for their birthdays?” She asked. Her food was still in the same exact postion when she firstly bought it, left untouched.

She looked up to see everyone was staring, thinking of what would they actually want for their birthday. Dowoon stopped for a while to give his brain working on its own and Minjun still munching his food but slower this time. And Jae, he was just playing his food while maybe, thinking as well.

“What would you want for your birthday?” She went a bit closer, as if she was trying to whisper things but it was clear enough for Jae to hear. He looked up, looking stunned. He pushed his glasses up, stuttering at his words since he had not thought about it at all.

“Me? I-I don’t know. I never think of it seriously.” He paused. “But uh, I always wanted a guitar. An electrical guitar.” His eyes lit up as he spoke his desire of owning a guitar. Jieun blinked in surprised, never she would have thought that he wanted a guitar for his birthday. Even Minjun was amazed when he listened that.

“That’s actually ran-“

“Amazing! Did you even play it?” Minjun sounded very astonished, knowing that this Park Jaehyung could actually play a guitar. Not just any guitar but an electrical guitar.

“Oh, he did play. And he’s like very good at it.” Dowoon put a proud face and winked playfully at Jae.

“It was a long time ago since we’re both in high school” He cut him off before this kid went overboard about him and his guitar skills.

“He even had a fanclub ever since he started playing guitar on stage during the talent time show.” Jae face-palmed his face and his ear grew red the second Dowoon kept bringing back their old school memories.

“Aha, I bet the girls were all head over heels for you. You got some fine look, Jae. But seriously though, girls in high school are scary.” Minjun shook his head, feeling all frightening suddenly. He grimaced as he was picturing the girls back in his high school.

“We used to have a band but since everybody grown up and now have careers to take care of, we eventually just stopped playing. Not having much time to play it now though.” Jae explained.

Jieun stared at his long fingers. There were faint lines formed in his inner fingers, lines of someone who had been practicing for too long, strumming and piercing the strings. Even though it was a long time ago and he

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter