twenty-six

Let's date
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jieun wore the seatbelts swiftly, her legs could not stay still and she kept on biting her lips. Nervous rushed in her blood. She was half an hour late and curses were throwing in her head.

“Calm down, will you?” He said and tossed her a mineral water from the driver side compartment. “Drink this. You look like you are about to see death in seconds.” He mocked. For real this time. She scowled lowly and drank. She was still in her stained jacket and even smelled like one too. Her makeup was not even done properly and her hair was not in place anymore.

Jieun asked him to drive to Hara’s apartment because she wanted to get her car first and also, hoping there would be some spare clothes that she could wear and change. She texted Hanbin that might be late for a little. Drinking the water was not helping her much though. Her mind was restless thinking about all the possible scenarios in her head. Would Hanbin be mad? Would Hanbin left the funfair now? Would he hate her for forgetting their date? She sighed loudly and Jae noticed how tensed she was next to him.

“What are you so rushing for huh? Is not like you on a date or what, right?”

There was a pause.

She sighed again, a bit surprised but anxious was all over her now. She did not care if he knew about her boyfriend and stuffs.

“Oh.” He muttered.

She did have a date, she did have a boyfriend after all. And Jae concluded, that was why she did not fell to any of his tricks because she had someone who had been tricks with her all along, way before him. And the pause went long until they reached at Hara’s parking car lot. No any murmurs, no small talks, no nothing. It was just a plain ride. Because Jae, first felt he was kind of being a jerk to her earlier and really wrong about it. Second of all, he did not know what he was feeling right now. There was a hint of disappointment but confused as well. Mixed up emotion, he guessed and maybe his brain was not in its fullest function during at the moment though he was good with brains, and minds, and emotions.

He pulled over and Jieun hurriedly unbuckled her seatbelt. As she was trying to get off the car and say thank you and all, Jae stopped her.

“You don’t want to wear that for your date, right?” He asked, making slight questionable face. He blinked and she blinked. She looked down to her clothes and was forcing to drew a fake smile but failed. Embarrassed and ashamed filled her.

“I mean, you don’t want to end up walking with that stained jacket. People might be mistaken you for murdering people or what..” His voice trailed off slowly. True, he was making a good point though and he also, did not have the intention to roast her or something. Yet, he was trying to make up with her. 

“Yeah, right. It’s okay I got some spare in my car there.” She informed, her lips were put in a thin line.

“Here, take this.” Jae took his black overcoat and gave it to her. It smelled peppermint and freshly natural. Not too strong but not too faint, it was just a nice proportion between those two scents. She furrowed her brows and told him it was okay. But Jae insisted her to have it. “Just in case you know. Besides, I got another one in the trunk.” It was big compared to her petite, small body size but since Jae was being persistent about her having it, she had no choice but to wear it.

“Thanks.” She said and for the first time since they met, it was the first time she threw him a smile. A genuine and gentle one. That caught him off guard, in the inside because, damn, she really, really had a nice smile. Pretty actually. “Yeah, uh sure. You better get going though, don’t want to wait the Prince Charming there, ey?” He tried to be funny at least but it was not funny at all. But overall, it somehow did make her smile. Score!

They bid their goodbyes and Jieun quickly went to her car. She looked for some clothes but only to find that yellow sweatshirt and no overcoat. It was a luck that she took Jae’s overcoat because if she did not, she would be suffering in the cold at the funfair. She changed her clothes in her car and rushed to the funfair. It was nearly 7 pm. She was already late for almost 2 hours. She just hoped that Hanbin did not get mad for waiting too long in the cold or worst went back home before she even did get there. The traffic was being kind to her that day, blessed for everything. She drove to exact place that Hanbin texted earlier and again, she was blessed because there was an empty spot near the funfair.

She got off the car and went running, searching for him but he was not there to found. She ran to the opposite side but still, his figure was not there. She felt her heart clutched as her blood were running high in her body. Did he go home already? She felt awful. She felt bad. She had promised, they had promised. And he even came there right after he finished his schedule. It was the only date that she could actually feel, how to be like the other normal couples. And now she ruined it because she was just too late. Jieun felt like crying because of her, Hanbin decided to go back home.

And now, she felt lost. 

On spur of moment, a pain was grasped and pinned on her chest. Vision was getting blurry as there were people was scattering here and there and old scenes of devastating accident were slowly flooding inside her head. 

“Got you!” A hand wrapped across her. The scent smelled familiar.

She turned to find Hanbin was grinning bright at her. He had not gone back yet? Her eyes went teary and eventually fell down to her cheek. Hanbin stunned when he saw that and quickly hug her tightly. “What’s wrong?” He asked careful enough not to make her crying even more. She looked up, “I thought I was late. I thought I ruin the date.” He chuckled.

He booped her nose and Jieun could feel him smiling behind that mask. He was wearing full black outfit and a really huge bucket hat just enough to cover his face.

“I was just going to restroom for a while and bout some fishcakes because I was hungry. I did not think that it was 7 pm already.” He beamed and wiped her tears. He ki

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter