Chapter 8: Our Little Rendezvous

With or Without You

Jennie's POV

 

"Jen, are you sure you can't transfer me to Jisoo's team? I don't like the name Tethys." Rosé complained.

 

"Like I said, I'm not supposed to do that. The members for each team are randomly picked."

 

"Maybe you could put Jisoo in my team instead?" I swear this girl isn't even listening to what I'm saying. We've been at this for half an hour.

 


I faced her, "For the nth time, I can't do that. These are already finalized. That's why I'm already printing them. I'll be putting them up on the bulletin board tomorrow."

 

"Yeah. And besides, I like my team. It has the coolest name." Jisoo added.

 

I rolled my eyes at her, "Oh please. You honestly think Hyperion sounds cooler than Kronos?"

 

"Kronos does sound cooler than Hyperion." Lisa agreed with me. 

 


"Maybe. But Kronos was the one who killed their own father so that makes him less cool." Jisoo even stuck her tongue out. Can you believe she's the oldest among us?

 

"Ohh yeah. She's right." Lisa sided with Jisoo. 

 

I glared at her, "Shut it Theia."


Jisoo laughed while Lisa pouted. "Theia isn't as unfortunate as Tethys over here." She grinned at Rosè who was slumped at the couch.

 

"Laugh all you want but our team is gonna beat yours." Rosé said proudly. A minute ago she was asking me to move her into a different team and now she's defending Tethys. Talk about change of heart.

 

You're probably wondering what we're talking about. Well, since we seniors have a lot of activities lined up for us the entire school year, the university decided to hold the annual sportsfest this early.

 

The theme the council has chosen is Greek Titans. To avoid prolonging the competition, we only picked 6 titans out of 12. Namely: Kronos, Hyperion, Oceanus, Theia, Tethys, and Themis.

Hence, the argument on who has the coolest team name.

 


I was already printing out the list of members per team and it was about to be finished when the printer got jammed. Now I have to fix it and I'm not getting any help from these three.

 

Lisa sat down and yawned, "I'm trying out for table tennis."

 

"You play?" I didn't know that. She looks kinda scrawny I didn't know she's athletic.

 


"No I don't. That's why I'm planning to try out." Then she smirked. .

 

I ignored her sarcastic remark and went on with what I'm doing. I don't know how I will get this printer fixed because I have no idea what I'm doing. 

 

After a few minutes I felt someone sit beside me.


As I removed one of the printer's parts I heard her mumble, "You're not supposed to do that." 


Once again, I ignored her. I pulled one of the wires and she inhaled sharply. "Let me guess, you don't know what you're doing?"

 


Defeated, I sighed. I turned to look at her and she's smirking again. I can feel my face heating up.

 

"Help me." Then I pouted.

 

"Say please." 

 

"Please."

 

"Say pretty please."

 


"Pretty please."

 

"Say pretty please with a cherry on top."

 

I playfully punched her arm and glared at her. She laughed then went on to fix the printer. 

It didn't take her more than 3 minutes to do it. Handyman--girl.

---

Tryouts

Lisa's POV


"Jennie!" I stuck my tongue out, "Kronos !"

 


She rolled her eyes then gave me a thumbs down while mouthing "You're going down."

 

I can't help but laugh. She's so cute.


Tryouts for our team are already done this morning. Of course, I got in. I hope Jennie gets in too so I can crush her on the finals. *evil laugh*

 

Odd though. She seems preoccupied. I asked her a couple of times if she was okay and she just nodded. I don't know what but something is bothering her.

 

I'm here at the bench right now beside the table which will be used for the table tennis tryout for team Kronos. I asked Jisoo and Rosé to come along but they said they're not in the mood.

 

Jennie will be competing with 3 different people and if she beats them all then she will be the one to play against the other teams.

 

The first set of her first match doesn't seem good. She can't keep up with the ball so her opponent keeps on scoring.

 

When the set was finished they took a break so I came up to her.

 

"You're not putting up a good fight there, Jen. You gotta win this and two more mock games if you wanna play with me in the finals." I winked at her.


She chuckled, "Yes, because that's the reason why I have to win." She said sarcastically. "Where's Jisoo and Rosé?"

 

"They can't come. I don't know why."


"Eh. Maybe they went on a date." Seeing my puzzled expression, she explained. "There were times before when I would ask them to come watch a movie with me then they would say they're doing something but I would catch them eating somewhere together. I don't feel bad. I just don't get why they're denying they like each other."

 

I was about to protest when the teacher called Jennie so the game would be resumed. I hope she plays well this time.


--

Jennie's POV


God, she's staring at me. Every time I look at her I catch her and she doesn't even bother to look away. It's like she wants me to know she's watching.

 

I don't get easily conscious with people staring at me because duh I'm the school governor. I always make announcements every morning assembly and go room to room sometimes. 


But with her it's different. Maybe because I can feel her stares mean something.


After my short conversation with Lisa, I was able to get my head back in the game so I won the next two sets. 


On my way to her, she embraced me. "You're now one step closer to getting beaten by me in the finals."

 

I couldn't help but laugh. Normally I would get annoyed but being cocky looks cute on her. Why does everything instantly becomes cute when it comes to her?!

 

"The only reason you would win is if I let you win." Then I smirked at her. She laughed heartily. I can be cocky too.

 

I excused myself from her to buy a drink. My next match is in 30 minutes but I'm still so hyped I wanna finish the remaining two games.

 

Since the vending machine is beside the locker room, I still have to walk far just to get a drink. We do have a cafeteria but it's farther. The university is really wide so the buildings are placed far from each other.

 

When I was approaching the vending machine I saw a familiar girl standing there. 

 

 

It's her.

 

I was about to turn around and go back to the gym when she caught me. Now it's too late. I must continue walking or else she'll think I'm afraid of her.


"You looked pretty tensed earlier."

 

"You know me, Saoirse. I get game jitters." I wasn't looking at her but I can feel her looking at me.

 

I put a bill in the vending machine and in one smooth motion, it dispensed a bottle of water.

 

I was about to turn around when she spoke again. "Leaving already? I still have some questions to ask you."

 

She stepped closer and my cheek, "Did you miss me, love?"

 

"Get your hands off me." I said calmly, stepping away from her. I can't make a scene. 

 


"I have to go," I said while slowly walking away. "And by the way, please don't stare at me while I'm playing. It's rude."

Then I left her without waiting for her response.

---

Jisoo's POV


"Why are we hiding out here in the football field again, Chaeyoung?"

 

She lied down in the bleachers and stretched her arms out. "You know how competitive Jennie gets when she's playing right? She would literally hit anyone with the paddle if she loses." I laughed. 

 

That is true. One time we were playing badminton at our house and she lost. Days went by and she still couldn't get over it so we had a rematch. She got so pissed when she was about to lose again that she wrecked her racket. Yup, she is THAT competitive.

 


"So anyway what's new with you?"

 

I looked at her, "What do you mean what's new? I tell you everything that happens to me and we're together most of the time."

 

She chuckled, "You know what I mean, silly. I mean are you interested in anyone right now?"

 

Oh no. Not this again. Every time she asks me this she has a plan on setting me up with someone. I've already been on 3 different blind dates for the past year and nothing worked out. Heck, I didn't even like those people. One of them stuttered like crazy I couldn't understand a thing he's saying. The other one kept looking at my chest the whole time. And the other one bored me to death with all his stories. 

 


"No Chaeng. I'm not doing this again." I told her firmly.

 

"Come on Jichu. I promise this time it would be with someone you'll get along with." She even raised her right hand to prove her promise.

 

I shook my head, "Noooo. Look dude," I faced her, "I'm honestly happy being single. And hey why do you keep setting me up on dates and not Jennie?"

 

"Because you've never had a relationship with anyone. Literally anyone. Boy or girl. I mean there's plenty of choices out there." 


I do get where she's coming from. For someone who is aual, she is strangely good at flirting. That's why she has been with tons of different men... and women. But according to her, she never loved any of them.

 

"Look Chaeng," I held both of her hands, "I understand your concern and all but I'm really okay. And if I'm gonna have a relationship with someone, I want it to come naturally. Not forced."


She sighed in defeat. "Fine," she laid down and put her head on my lap, "But I should be the first one to know if you do, okay?"

 

I just nodded at her. I don't even know when is that gonna happen... or if it is ever gonna happen. Between the two of us, I don't think she's the aual one.


I think there's something wrong with me.