Chapter 22: Another Deal

With or Without You

Jennie’s POV

 

 

The first thing I noticed the moment I opened my eyes is the familiar white ceiling of the place I’ve been to too many times in the past. I still remember the first time I woke up in a place like this. I would find my parents talking in the couch, waiting for me to wake up.

 

 

 


But this time it’s different. I woke up to find a familiar head beside me leaning on the bed while holding my hand. The dark circles under her eyes didn’t fail to escape my attention. She must have felt the slight movement of my hand because she instantly sat up.

 

 

 

 

“Hey. How are you feeling?” She said while tracing the top of my hand with her thumb.

 

 


“Better. Though I’m a bit dazed. How long have I been asleep?”

 

 

 

“14 hours.”

 

 

 


“WHAT” I was about to get up when Lisa stopped me.

 

 


“Where do you think you’re going?”

 

 


“I still have some last minute preparations to do for prom. I have to go right now.” I attempted to get up again but she held me back. Of course I am no match for her strength.

 

 


“No no no,” she shook her head. “The doctor said you can’t go out yet. He’ll be running another test this afternoon for your head just in case you hit it too hard. So you’ll probably be discharged tomorrow.” WHAT THE . 

 

 


“You’re telling me I’m gonna miss prom?” I can feel tears forming in my eyes. I can’t believe this. I’ve dreamed about this event for so long but now I can’t attend.

 

 


Her serious expression immediately softened. She sat beside me then held both of my hands, “I’m sorry, Jennie. This is my fault. You wouldn’t be here if I just left your place like you told me to.”

 

 


I flinched at the mention of the subject. I still vividly recall the fight we had before I fell and passed out. I know everyone who knows our situation might think I’m being unfair to her. Well, you’re right.

 

 


At the back of my mind I know I feel something for her. I’m just having a hard time acknowledging it right now because of reasons I can’t tell anyone.

 

 


I looked at her to find her staring at my hands, obviously avoiding eye contact. I lifted her chin up to meet her gaze, “Don’t blame yourself.  It’s not like you pushed me.”

 

 


She chuckled, “You know what, I was afraid your maids would think I pushed you when they found you lying at the bottom of the stairs unconscious. Then I found out they were eavesdropping on our conversation. Apparently our voices were so loud, it resounds in the whole house.”

 

 


“Wha- they were eavesdropping? What did they say to you?”

 

 


A meaningful smirk formed on her face before she spoke, “They said they thought we’re a couple fighting and that they felt bad because they thought we were gonna break up.”

 

 


I felt my face heating up as I involuntarily imagined the possibility. I really need to have a word with them when I get home. 

 

 


Our conversation was interrupted by a knock on the door. Thank God for saving me from that awkward change of topic.

 

 

 

A nurse came in carrying food. After leaving it on the table, she turned around and left. As if on cue, I felt my tummy make strange sounds. I can’t help feeling overjoyed at the arrival of food. Unlike most, this hospital serves delicious meals. It’s the only upside of getting confined in this creepy place.

 

 

Lisa stood up and took the plate from the table, “You need to eat now. The last time you ate was lunch yesterday.”

 

 


Yes Lisa, I will devour all that even though you don’t tell me to. 

 

 

Instead of saying that, I just nodded at her. She came closer to bring the plate to me and I felt disappointed once I got a closer look. 

 

 


“What’s the matter?” She must have sensed the sudden change of my facial expression.

 

 


“It’s just that...” I don’t know if I should tell her. She might get turned off if she finds out I’m too picky with food. “I don’t eat spaghetti if it’s not made by me or daddy.”

 

 


I tried avoiding her gaze because I couldn’t bear seeing her get disappointed with me but instead I heard her laughing. I looked at her and saw her smiling at me. “You and your quirks.”

 

 


“I know. I’m not proud of it. Is it annoying?”

 

 

“My opinion is a bit prejudiced because I like you. But I think it’s adorable.”

 

 


Once again, I blushed. “H-how are you that comfortable in saying things like that?” Aren’t you aware of the effects on me when you say those stuff?

 

 


“I don’t know. It feels natural saying those things to you. I’m sorry if it makes you uncomfortable,” she set down the plate on the table and brought out a basket filled with muffins. “Chaeng and Jisoo dropped this off earlier. Do you want to eat this instead or do you want me to go out and buy food for you?”

 

 


“I think I’ll just eat the spaghetti. It would be a shame to let it go to waste.”

 

 


“But you said you don’t like that? Tell you what, I’ll just order chicken and pizza for you and I’ll be the one to eat the spaghetti.”

 

 


“You sure that’s okay with you?”

 

 

“Yeah. It will be my way of saying sorry for what happened yesterday,” she said while scratching the back of her neck. “And that you wouldn’t be able to attend prom.”

 

 


“Quit blaming yourself.”

 

 

 

“But-“

 

 


“There’s nothing wrong with what you said. I was just so in denial that I couldn’t admit to myself how unfair I was to you. I promise I won’t be sending mixed signals from now on.”

 

 


She held out her little finger, “Pinky swear?”

 

 


“Pinky swear.”

 

 


---

 

 


“YOU HAVEN’T SEEN A SINGLE MARVEL MOVIE?”

 

 


“DON’T YELL AT ME,” I shouted back. “What’s the big deal?”

 

 


“Nothing. It’s just- AS IN NOT EVEN ONE?” I shook my head. “Wow. It will be my honor to introduce you to the Marvel Cinematic Universe.”

 

 

 

“I’ll give that a chance if you read a book of my choice.”

 

 


“You know I’m not a fan of reading.”

 

 


“It’s called compromising. I’ll watch all marvel movies if you read the book that I’ll be giving you.”

 

 


She squinted her eyes at me, “Fine. But I don’t like cheesy stories okay? And please don’t make me read a boring one.” I reached for my bag at the bottom of the bed and took out a book then showed it to her. She took it and read the title out loud, “Looking For Alaska. Wait, John Green wrote this? I told you I don’t like cheesy stories.”

 

 

 


“I promise that’s not a love story.”

 

 

 

“Hmm. Why do they have to look for Alaska? Haven’t they seen a map before?” 

 

 


I facepalmed, “Will you just please read it?”

 

 


“Fine, fine. I’m keeping this then,” she was about to take it away when I thought about doing something.

 

 


“Wait give it back. I’ll give it to you later, I just have to do something first.”

 


---

 

 

Lisa proceeded to fangirl over mcu for the next thirty minutes. I swear I was just pretending to listen to her but I’m actually thinking of other things. Like my essay in English. I already finished it but it feels like something’s wrong about it so I grabbed the notepad and pen on top of the bedside table.

 

 


“What’s that?” Lisa peered over but I quickly covered it. “Wait, is that the essay you’re talking about? Why can’t I read it? I wanna read it!”

 

 


“This doesn’t concern you!”

 

 

“Yes it does. You told me yesterday it was about me. I can’t believe you’re using me as a subject on an essay about ‘The Best Way To Lose’. I’m hurt.” She even clutched her chest, pretending to be in pain. Dork.

 

 


“You really think I would let this opportunity to write down about every single time you lost a bet with us pass?” I grinned at her.

 

 


“Sometimes you’re such a meanie,” She even pouted at me then poked my cheek, “Come on, let me read it. Pretty please.”

 

 


I thought about it for a moment. Am I ready for the consequences if I let her read this? Maybe not. So I thought of an idea. 

 

 


“I have an idea.”

 

 


“Let me hear it.”

 

 

“Let’s make a bet.”

 

 


She looked at me, deadpan. “Let me guess, you need to prove how good I am at losing so you wanna do this?”

 

 

 

“What? No. But it would be great if you would lose again,” I laughed at her unamused expression. “Hear me out. I was thinking, we’re gonna have our exam in math on Monday right?” She nodded. “If you score higher than me, I’ll let you read my essay. But if I score higher than you, you’re gonna drop this. What do you say?”

 

 


She looked at me for a long time before she spoke, “Okay deal.”