Chapter 29: Don't Leave

With or Without You

"Speak up, Jennie. We don't have all day. The registrar might close around 3pm so I'm kinda in a rush," the blond said impatiently. Jennie left a message for him an hour ago, asking him to meet her in their classroom.
 

"We need to call off the wedding, Jae."
 

His face lit up, clearly amused at the statement. It wasn't like Jennie to go against what is expected of her, everyone knows that. So if she does, there must be a heavy reason.
 

"Did I hear you right?"
 

She rolled her eyes, "Quit fooling around. I know you heard me clearly."
 

"Why though? We've been engaged for a year now, Jennie. And you never asked to call this off until now." The brunette bit her lip, still undecided whether or not she should say the reason.

She's never been a fan of confessions. Admitting things weren't easy for her, which was pretty obvious by how long it took her to admit she had feelings for Lisa.

There it was. Lisa. If it weren't for the girl, she would never have thought of actually calling off the wedding. Yes, she was against it right from the beginning. But it wasn't at all bad for her. Considering Jae Young was at the very least bearable, and knowing that it made her father happy was enough to make her say yes.

But now that Lisa's in the picture, Jennie couldn't bear thinking of being with anyone else other than her.
 

"You're in love with someone, aren't you?" she nodded. "Wow, that's huge."
 

"So, what do you say?"

"Who is the unlucky person?" she pinched his arm, making him wince.

"It's... Lisa."
 

His smile vanished at the mention of the name. It took a few seconds before he could say a word.

"Lisa?" she nodded once more. "Wait, is this why you asked me to stay away from her?"
 

Jennie bit her lower lip, "I guess? I don't know. At that time all I thought was I didn't want you leading her on and leaving her as soon as we get married."

"You're one to talk," his voice was etched with bitterness, which he immediately recovered from after hearing how pathetic it sounded. "I'm sorry."

They might not be close enough to be called as friends, but they do look out for each other. Their dads have been business buddies since they were little. Jennie learned how to play xbox and playstation because of him, and she taught him how to knit, which was surprisingly handy even for a guy.

One can imagine their discomfort with each other the first few months after finding out they were supposed to marry each other. None of them could look or tease each other the way they always do.

Jennie was the little sister he never had, so he'll always be there for her.
 

Silence enveloped the entire room for a few minutes before Jae spoke again.

"All the bitterness aside, I have to be honest, what you want won't be easy," he walked towards the teacher's table and sat on top of it. "You know how much I hate this wedding-to-be too. But I've never actually thought of going against it. Mainly because I know my dad will kill me."
 

"At least you have a hint on what he'll do to you," Jennie chuckled. "I have no idea how mine would react once I tell him about this."
 

He held her hand, "Are you sure you want to do this?"

She slowly nodded, "I can't imagine myself being with anyone else other than Lisa, Jae."
 

"Then I wish you goodluck," he smiled warmly at her, calming her nerves down. As someone she treats like her brother, she couldn't bear the thought of him hating her. "If you need a place to stay in case your dad disowns you, I am offering my condo in advance. That is, if Lisa wouldn't mind."
 

"I'll keep that in mind. Thank you, Jae."

*****

Lisa's POV

 

I got a text from an unknown number a few hours ago, just after I finished getting all my school records, asking if we could meet up in the cafe across the school. I ignored it at first, thinking it was one of those people who have nothing better to do. But what alarmed me was when the texter asked how much I knew Jennie. And that's the only reason I agreed to meet up.

 

"What do you want?"

 

She looked up from the magazine she was holding, "Don't you want to chat for a little while before I drop the bomb on you?"
 

"I have no time for your games Saoirse," I was trying hard not to throw the cup in front of me to her. "Just tell me what you want to say because I have to go meet Jennie after this."
 

I saw her grimace for a moment before recovering and pulling off a smile.
 

"It's so cute how you're so smitten for her," she took a sip from her coffee, "Do you ever wonder if she's the same to you?"
 

"Why does it matter to you? You know what, you're just wasting my time."

 

I was about to stand up when she spoke again, "I know something about her that you don't."
 

I leaned back on my chair and crossed my arms. I don't know where she's going with this.
 

"Doesn't it ? You're out here thinking that she loves you enough to tell you everything about her, when in fact, she hides secrets from you." she paused, a smile forming wider on her face, obviously amused at how clueless I was.
 

"Go straight to the point or I'm leaving," I said through gritted teeth. I know I shouldn't let anything she says affect me without talking about it with Jennie, but I hate to admit that a huge part of me is genuinely interested in what she has to say.

 

"Fine, if that's what you want. Jennie's engaged with Jae Young."

 

I gaped at her, my mind going completely blank. I can't seem to find the right words to say. I mean, surely this isn't true.

 

Jennie and Jae Young? That couldn't be. They barely know each other. And besides, I'm sure Jennie wouldn't keep something as huge as this from me if it was true.
 

"You're unbelievable, Saoirse. You bothered me just to tell me some bullcrap."

 

She laughed, "I understand how you feel right now, Lisa. I know your heart must be breaking. I'm sorry but it's the truth sweetie. I heard them talking at our classroom a while ago. Didn't mean to though. I was using the bathroom when I heard their voices. Before I could even go out, I heard them talking about that."

 

I fixed my bag and stood up, "I can't believe I wasted my time on this. Goodbye, Saoirse."

 

Before I could even get out of earshot, she spoke again, "If you don't believe me, you better ask her. You said she'd never lie to you, right?"

 

I tried convincing myself that it was all made up, someone as pathetic as her might actually be capable of that. But no matter what I do, I can't seem to get it out of my mind.

 

My feet became heavier and heavier each step I took. I couldn't even bear looking Jennie in the eyes the moment we met.

 

She wanted to hang out at their hotel so that's where I went. The smell of pancakes greeted me the moment I arrived but I was not in the mood to eat anything at all.
 

"Someone's had a rough day," she said as she sat on my lap and kissed the tip of my nose. "I made your favorite food."

 

Her gummy smile always had a way of melting my heart, no matter how sad I felt. But this time it was different.

 

My mind was busy deciding whether or not I should confront her about what I found out. The other part's telling me I shouldn't even think about it, especially because it came from an unreliable source. But the other half knows I won't be in peace if I don't get answers.

 

"Hey, I wanna ask you something."

 

"What is it?" she said as she stood up and sat down at the chair in front of mine.

 

I shook my head, deciding against it. "Nevermind."

 

She laughed, "Come on, just tell me. It's clearly bothering you."
 

"Nah, it's not that important. It might not even be true."

 

"Just tell me. Please?" she pouted.

 

I took a deep breath, "Well I met with someone earlier today. And... she told me something." she nodded, signaling me to go on. "She said you were engaged... with Jae Young."

 

All the color drained from her face, as if she had seen a ghost. That was not the reaction I was looking for.
 

"But I told her it's total bull and that if it were true then you would've told me sooner, right?" She looked down at the table, burying her face in her hands. "Tell me I'm right, Jennie."
 

She sat up straight and held my hands, "Lisa, I'm sorry.'

 

That did it. Just like that, everything I was once sure of became questionable.
 

I stared at her in disbelief, "So it's true?" I pulled my hands away from her and stood up. "Why didn't you tell me right away?"
 

"I was planning to--"

 

"When? A day before the wedding? Or maybe when you're already walking down the aisle?" I brushed my hand through my hair, "Were you planning on just leaving me one day with no explanation?"

 

"No Lisa, I was thinking of how to tell my father to call off the wedding. I wasn't thinking of leaving you, believe me."

 

I laughed bitterly, "Believe you? Tell me how can I believe anything you say after you kept this thing from me? Heck, I don't even know if I still believe anything you said to me before."

 

She went closer to me and tried holding my hand but I pulled it away. I can't even find it in me to look her in the eyes. I felt so betrayed. Like the person I thought she was, was an illusion all along.

 

"Please don't say that. I love you, I really do. I just didn't know how to tell you. I wanted to fix everything before letting you know."

 

"And what if you couldn't? What if your father won't let you call the wedding off?"

 

She stood there in silence. I waited for an answer, hoping she has one.
 

"Lisa, I can fix this. Just please don't give up on me," she pleaded. "I know I ed up but I will make it up to you. I promise I'd tell you everything from now on."

 

"It's already done, Jennie. I don't think there's anything you can say right now that can make me feel better."

 

"I'm sorry. If I have to say that a hundred-- a thousand more times, I would."

 

"Why didn't you tell me?" I couldn't help my voice going louder than usual. I feel bad for yelling at her, but I'm too hurt right now to apologize for it.

 

Her lips began trembling, and it took every ounce of me not to come closer and hug her, to tell her I'm not mad. But that would be a lie.

 

"I was afraid you would leave me once I do."

 

"So you don't trust me?"

 

"I do. It's just I was so overwhelmed with my fear of losing you. You're the best thing in my life right now and I don't know what I'd do if you leave me."

 

"Nothing and no one could ever make me stay away from you as long as you don't want me to, Jennie!" I looked up at the ceiling, trying to keep the tears that were now forming in my eyes from falling. "I am mad because I feel like you don't trust me enough to let me in on this. It wouldn't matter to me how big your problem is. And if I could, I would even shoulder it for you."
 

Nothing other than Jennie's sobbing can be heard in the room. She tried so many times to hug me but I pushed her away. I know it would melt all my anger once she did and maybe I can't find it in my heart to make up with her just yet.

 

We stayed in silence for a couple of minutes before I decided to leave. Before I could even get to the door, she ran after me and hugged me in the back.

 

"Please don't leave. Let's fix this."
 

"I don't know how to."

 

"We can talk about this. Just please don't leave yet. I don't want anyone else but you. Please believe me."

I can feel her tears seeping through my shirt. It's tearing me up how much she's hurting right now. But I'm hurting so much too. And it's because of her.
 

I gently removed her hands from me, before opening the door.

 

"Maybe I don't want to be with you anymore."