Chapter 23: The Best Way To Lose

With or Without You

A/N: I know it's late but it's still 23 in some places so here. (Belated) Happy Jenlisa Day!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

Jisoo’s POV

 

 


“Hey Chaeng where’s Lisa?”

 

 


“She’s at the bench outside reviewing. Looks like the stakes of their bet are pretty intense so she’s giving this her all.”

 

 

I don’t understand why she’s taking this bet so seriously. I don’t get what’s the big deal about Jennie’s essay and why Lisa’s dying to read it.

 

 

“Can you please call her Chaeng? I smell something fishy and I have to get to the bottom of it.”

 

 

“I just went over there and she shooed me. Clearly she doesn’t want to be bothered.”

 

 


“Come on just call her.”

 


“What am I gonna tell her?”

 

 

“Something factually inaccurate.”

 

 

Chaeyoung went out the classroom and went back a few seconds later followed by an annoyed Lisa behind her.

 

 

“Hey Lisa I wanna ask you somethin-“

 

 


“I’m sorry, the sky is blue because it reflects the color of the ocean?” She said exasperatedly. I glared at Chaeng. 

 

 

“This was not what I meant when I said ‘factually inaccurate’,” I told Chaeng in which she responded with a peace sign. I turned to Lisa, “I just want to know what’s the big deal about this bet.”

 

 


She ran her hand to her hair, “Well Jennie said she wrote this essay about me. And at first it wasn’t really a big deal but then I noticed how badly she doesn’t want me to read it so it made me want it more. After she made it a bet, it made it even more irresistible. Damn, that girl really knows how to play with me.”

 

 

I laughed. Wait, she said Jennie’s essay is about her? ABOUT HER? I really smell something fishy here but I don’t think I’ll be getting the answer from Lisa. If there’s one thing, she’s as dense as Jennie. God, they’re really made for each other.

 

 

I let her get back to reviewing in peace. It was going well until Jennie entered the classroom wearing a huge smile on her face. After greeting us, she turned to Lisa.

 

 

“You ready to lose again?”

 

 


Lisa pretended not to hear anything and went on with what she’s doing. Seeing how focused Lisa was, Jennie opt to drop it and went to her table instead. You might be wondering why Chaeng and I are in the same class as Jennie and Lisa. It’s because of the change in sectioning that took place at the beginning of second sem. But it’s only for Math though. The school thought of grouping students according to how good we are at the subject so they could exert more effort in teaching the sections who are having a hard time catching up.

 

 

A few more minutes before the exam starts, everybody was busy reading handouts or muttering formulas to themselves. Except for one person.

 

 

“Hey,” I poked her with my pen. “You could at least pretend to review to not make us feel bad. Yeah we know you’re good at math but you shouldn’t rub it in our faces.”

 

 

Jennie laughed, “Is it so wrong to be calm before an exam?”

 

 

I was about to answer when we heard someone scoff at the row in front of us. Jennie grinned wider and spoke again, “I don’t know Chu but I feel like I’m gonna ace this test.” She said louder than usual. It’s pretty obvious she’s trying to piss off Lisa which was effective.

 

 

“Maybe you’re just not feeling well.” 

 

 

Jennie laughed at Lisa’s retort. I pinched her arm and leaned in closer to whisper to her, “Why are you trying to piss her off?” She shook her head and continued wearing that annoying smile on her face. Weird.

 

---


Lisa’s POV

 


I know it may seem unreasonable getting pissed at Jennie for being so calm but I can’t help it. Jisoo’s right, maybe she’s just that good that she is not at all nervous about this test. Meanwhile, here I am praying to all the saints I know that I get a higher score than her.

 

 

I was busy quietly reciting formulas when she went over and sat on my desk. I’m trying so hard to be calm but she’s really pushing me off the edge.

 

 

“What?” I asked sharply.

 

 

“, I’m really pissing you off right now aren’t I?” Her voice sounded full of remorse but the playful smile on her lips say otherwise. Deep breaths, Lisa.

 

 

“I’m not pissed. I’m trying to concentrate here and I would appreciate it if you don’t distract me.”

 

 

“Chill,” she chuckled. “I just wanted to ask what chapter you are now in the book.”

 


My annoyance completely disappeared at the mention of the book. Other than I’m completely enjoying the story, I love how Jennie wrote cute little notes at the end of each chapter. I mean I would still read the book even without those but those notes really motivate me to finish the book quicker. I can’t help smiling at the thought of it.

 

 

“Dammit, how do you do that? I swear I was pissed at you a few seconds ago.”

 

 

“So you do admit I pissed you off?”

 

 

“Should I feel insulted that you sound proud about it?” She laughed. “I’m sorry I’m being unreasonable. It’s just I wanna read the essay so bad.”

 

 

Her playful smile turned into a warm one, “Now I feel bad for constantly distracting you with my presence,” she said sarcastically. “I’ll leave now so you could focus.” 

 

 

With that, she went back to her table. True to her word, she didn’t bother me anymore. She even stopped smiling so I wouldn’t get pissed off. 

 

 


Moments later, the exam started. I’m confident about my answers though I felt intimidated again when I peered at Jennie and saw she finished before me and she’s all relaxed. 

 

 

---

 

 

Two Days Later

 

Our teacher just gave back our test papers and I can’t help feeling proud of myself. Why? Because I got 78/80!!! I can feel the sleepless night paying off. 

 

 

Unfortunately, my moment didn’t last that long because Jennie got a perfect score. I’m way past being pissed at her and I’m not mad too but I just feel really devastated. Out of all the bets I made in my life, this was by far the one I exerted the most effort into winning. But the universe just won’t let me.

 

 


I felt a tap on my shoulder, “Hey what’s with the long face?” Jennie asked while eating yogurt. She must’ve seen the imaginary dark clouds above my head.

 

 

 

“You know very well why I’m sad.”

 

 

 

“Aw cheer up. Come on try this yogurt I bet it'll turn that frown around."

 

 

 

"No thanks. I would like to dwell in my misery a bit longer."

 

 


"Have you finished reading the book? I'm sure that will make you feel better."

 

 

 

"Are you kidding? I'm already at the part where Alaska died. Let me tell you, it does not make me feel better. I almost cried my eyes out last night so I stopped reading it."

 

 

 

She laughed, "What? You should finish it. I'm sure you're gonna want to read the last part of the book."

 

 


"Is there a twist like Alaska's not dead yet and she just hid somewhere or something like that?"

 

 


"No, she's really dead."

 

 


"Then I'm not reading it."

 

 


"Come on Lisaaaaaa"

 

 

"No. I refuse to hurt myself with tragic fictional events."

 

 


"Please finish it," she pouted at me. "For me?"

 

 

 

"You know you can't just say that every time you want me to do something for you. And saying that doesn't guarantee I'll actually do it."

 

 

 

"Really?"

 

 


"No, I'm kidding. Fine I'll read it when I get home. But if I don't come to school tomorrow it's because I'm mourning so if I miss any important activities, it's all on you."

 

 


She laughed, "Sure. I'll take the blame."

 


---

 


Jennie's POV

 

 

"Poor Lisa. She seems really sad about losing your bet."

 

 


"Yeah I couldn't talk to her properly because I can't stand looking at her sad eyes."

 

 


Wow, Jisoo and Rosé also noticed huh. Now I'm starting to feel a little bit guilty having to put her through this. But it's not my fault I perfected the test. 

 

 


Lisa left school after lunch break. She ditched the rest of the afternoon. None of us know where she went but I'm pretty sure she's just gonna mope around at home.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Wanna know a secret?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I stuck my essay at the end of the last chapter of the book I gave her. That's why I'm insisting she should finish it. I'm not that cruel you know. And besides, I think she's right. She does deserve to know what's in that essay.

 

 

 


Though I have to be honest, it took a lot of guts for me to let her read that. 

 

 

 


Even though I insisted her to finish the book, I'm pretty sure she won't be touching it yet. I'm not even sure if she's gonna stick around until the end of the book. Well it's her loss if she doesn't. 

 

 

 

 


It was a pretty tiring day so I fell asleep around 10pm. I didn't even get a chance to check twitter. 

 

 

A few hours later I was woken up with the sound of my phone ringing. I checked the digital clock beside my bed, 2:47 am. Who the heck would call at this hour?! 

 

 


I picked up my phone and saw the name I least expect.

 

 

 

Lisa calling...

 

 

 


I wonder what it could be? Maybe an emergency? A number of possible unfortunate events crossed my mind before I answered the phone.

 

 

 

 

 

"Lisa? Is something wrong?" Panic was starting to creep up my chest. There was silence on the other line. "I swear if you're trolling me, I'm gonna beat you up." Still no answer.

 

 

 

I was about to hang up when she spoke. "I'm at your door right now. Can you let me in?"

 

 

 

What? Wow the guards must know her pretty well for them to let her enter the hotel at this hour.

 

 

 

I immediately ran to the door. Confused as I was before opening it, I got even more confused when I opened it to find her standing there wearing only a hoodie, pajamas, and flip flops like she just got out of bed and ran here.

 

 

 

I was about to say something to diss her but I noticed there were tears preparing to fall down from her eyes.

 

 

 

"Lisa is there something wr--"

 

 

I was cut off when she took out a familiar piece of paper from the pocket of her hoodie and began speaking.

 

 

 

"I have grown up thinking that everything in this world, including life, is a game. And as the competitive person I am, I never intended to lose. But recently I realized that loss can't always be perceived as something tragic. That it isn't at all bad."

 

 


I felt like I was stoned in my spot right now. I couldn't move. Heck, I couldn't even say anything. I'm dumbfounded. 

 

 

She's reading the last part of my essay out loud. , I'm not ready for this. 

 

 

Her voice croaked as she said the next words, "And by falling in love with you I realized the many ways a person could lose to someone and still be happy. Every time I catch you staring at me I get lost in your eyes even for just a few seconds. Not to mention how many times I have lost myself whenever your lips curl into a smile while saying my name. I have lost myself countless times because of you. And only then did I figure out I'd willingly lose myself over and over again as long as it's for you."

 

 

 

She was looking at the paper the whole time yet I feel like she's piercing through me every time she takes a moment to lift her head and look me in the eyes. I don't know what I'm feeling right now but I can feel tears starting to roll down my cheeks. 

 

 


She was crying while smiling so wide at the same time she almost couldn't read the next line properly.

 

 

"So to answer the question, I think the best way to lose is to lose yourself to the person you love. And yes, I accept defeat."

 

 


She folded the paper and put it back to her pocket then stepped closer to me, closing the gap between us. 

 


She leaned her forehead onto mine while still looking me in the eyes as she muttered the next few words, "I accept defeat. I love you, Jennie."

 

 

Barely able to catch my breath, I gathered all the strength I have and looked back at her. "I love you too, Lisa."