Chapter 11: Sweet Beer

With or Without You

3000-word vomit. All faults are mine. P

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

Lisa's POV


"The school will be providing buses to get to Mt. Hanyeon. And no Chaeyoung, I can't pull strings to transfer you two in our bus. It's gonna be per section." Jennie explained.

 

 

It's been a month since the sportsfest and now we have a new activity in line: Camping.

 

The school thinks it's a good idea to engage students in outdoor activites so they thought of organizing a camping trip for the entire junior and senior class.

 

 

"I don't understand why you're so fussed about this. You and Jisoo will be together because you're in the same section."

 

 

"I know that. I just wanna be with you guys too," then she pouted. "The more, the merrier."

 

 

"Cheer up dude. I'll bring lots of food for you." Jisoo said trying to cheer her up. Which worked very well. Rosé hugged her tightly.

 

 

We'll be staying tonight in Jisoo's place since the call time for assembly in school is 11pm and Jennie thought it would save time if we would all be coming from one place since Jisoo will be picking us up anyway. Since our school is located in the heart of the city, it will take several hours of travel before we reach the mountain. Hence, the super early call time.

 

 

Jennie went out the room to prepare food and Rosé followed her. Jisoo is pretty occupied with packing so I went to help her.

 

 

"God, you're terrible at packing." I said as soon as I saw her luggage filled with unfolded clothes. 

 

 

"I know," she sighed. "Jennie would always scold me when it comes to this." 

 

 

I took out all the clothes from the luggage and began folding them until they turned small.

 

 

"How do you know how to do that?" She said, impressed.

 

 

"Let's just say I did a lot of packing back in Thailand."

 

 

"Oh. We haven't really talked about why you came to Korea."

 

 

"Well there are a lot of reasons..."

 

 

"Mind telling me?"

 

 

I looked at her intently. I've been friends with them for quite some time now and I think I owe them information about me and my past.

 

"Well you know back in Thailand, my family is really famous. So that means I'm famous too. I come from a long line of celebrities. My mom and dad were a loveteam when they were teenagers. And not wanting to disappoint the fans, they married each other. Sure they liked each other and everything seemed fine at first. But as me and my brother were growing up, they started fighting. A LOT. They only spent a few hours at home because of their jobs and those few hours are all spent bickering with each other."

 

"My brother was so affected that he started drinking alcohol excessively. Smoking too. He was only 14 years old that time. And after a year or so, he started using . He got so addicted that he began doing terrible things. Then my parents found out so without a second thought, they sent him off to rehab. I know they think that was the only option. But I was so mad at them that time. Why didn't they even give him a heart-to-heart talk? They didn't even try hearing out why he did those stuff. And I'm not justifying my brother's actions, but I know the person he became was mostly because of our parents' doing."

 

 

I looked at Jisoo and she was starting to tear up. "I... I didn't know you had a miserable past."

 

 

"That's why I'm here. After my brother left I could no longer bear living in that place. So I told my parents I wanted to study abroad. Of course they were on board with it. One less thing to worry about they thought."

 

 

Jisoo hugged me so I leaned my head to her shoulder. She didn't speak for a while and I'm thankful for it. I'd rather share the silence than have her say stuff attempting to make me feel better because it won't. 


I was wondering why I didn't shed a single tear while telling her the story. Is it because I'm comfortable with her? Maybe.


After a few more moments, she spoke. "Hey you know what"

 


I looked at her, "What?"

 

 

"We're your new family now. Me, Jennie, and Chaeyoung."

 

 

I smiled at her and can't help wondering, what good deed have I done in the past to deserve such good friends?


---

"Can everyone please be seated already?" Mrs. Chan said exasperatedly.

 

 

Everyone then turned quiet and settled in their seats. I'm the only one without a seatmate yet because Jennie is still fixing some stuff with the other sections.

 

 

"There will only be one stop over later on 4am so everyone can have breakfast and go to the restroom. So I would advise you to do a bladder check because we'll be leaving in a few minutes."

 

 

Not long after, Jennie arrived. She sat beside me and massaged her temples.

 

"I had no idea assigning bus arrangements to students would be this stressful. One junior was being stubborn and didn't want to leave his friend's bus. So I had to call the principal and just left them there."

 

 

She took out a can of Pringles and opened it. She also offered me some.


"Look who's stress eating"

 

 

"You should have seen me days before the deadline of our research study. I finished 3 packs of Chips Ahoy and 4 bars of Hershey's in one sitting." She even laughed.

 

 

"Wow. Is it weird that instead of picturing you, I'm picturing Chaeyoung instead?" Then we both laughed.

 

 

"I'm nothing compared to her. But really, I've done a lot of stress eating before."

 

 

"I'm surprised you're not fat."

 

 

"Yeah. This is naturally my body size. No matter how much I eat, I can't get fat."

 

 

 


After some last minute announcements from teachers, our bus left to travel. Jennie put on her eye mask then hugged my arm and leaned on my shoulder.

 


And in order to sleep, I rested my head on top of hers too.

***

Jisoo's POV

 

"Their bus got here first maybe they're already eating somewhere," Chaeyoung pulled my arm. "Can we please go I'm starviiing"

 

 


We arrived at the stop over 10 minutes ago and now we're waiting for Jennie and Lisa to get down from their bus so we can eat together.

 

 


"What if we just go up their bus and check? If they're not there then we can eat."

 

 


She pouted but agreed. I know how much she's looking forward to eating.

 

 


Rosé went up first and I caught her grinning while looking somewhere.

 

 


"Have you seen them?" I shouted at her from across the aisle. She shushed me, signaling to be quiet and motioned me to come closer.

 

 


Upon seeing what she's looking at I can't help but smile too. Jennie has her arms wrapped around Lisa while leaning on her shoulder while Lisa was cuddling her while her head is resting on top of Jennie's.

 

 


Rosé took out her camera and took several photos, in different angles, before we decided to wake them up.

 

 


We counted from one to three before shouting, "WAKE UP SLEEPYHEADS"

 

 


The lovebirds instantly woke up. They even bumped their heads with each other. Chaeng and I suppressed a laugh.

 

 


"DID YOU REALLY HAVE TO SHOUT?" Jennie yelled back at us.

 

 


"YES BECAUSE WE'VE BEEN WAITING FOR A LONG TIME FOR YOU TWO TO GO DOWN AND I'M HUNGRY" 

 

 


Jennie knows she can't win an argument against Hungry!Rosé so she dropped it. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


***

Since Nini and Lisa are afraid Chaeyoung's pissed at them (little did they know how many pictures she took of them) and I'm down to eating anywhere, we let her decide. She's craving for pancakes and fries so we went to McDonald's. 

 

 


"You two order our food since you're the ones who took long" Chaeyoung commanded Jennie and Lisa. Of course they agreed.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


"Hope this is okay," Lisa said while setting down a hashbrown. "Fries aren't available before 6am."

 

 


We were eating peacefully when Jennie suddenly exclaimed. "Shoot!"

 

 


We looked at her and saw a drink spilled on her. And the owner of the drink? The one and only Saoirse.

 

 


Jennie was about to lash out on whoever spilled the drink on her when she saw who it was so she shut up instead. She's always tolerating all the Saoirse does to her. I can't take this anymore.

 

 


I stood up, "What is wrong with you?"

 

 


She pulled off an innocent look on her face, "I didn't mean to do that."

 

 


"Apologize to Jennie."

 

 


"What if I don't want to?"

 

 


"You're gonna do it either way. Might as well do it the easy way." I felt Rosé pulling my arm as I was cracking my knuckles.

 

 


"Fine," she scoffed. Ugh I want to claw her eyes out. She turned to face Jennie, "I'm sorry bestie." Then she walked away.

 

 

 

"Please calm down." Rosé pleaded.

 

 

 

"Thanks Chu. You didn't have to do that."

 

 

 

"Someone has to stand up to her Jen. And if you can't do it, I will."

 

 

 

The thing is, eversince we were kids, Jennie has always been the one defending me from bullies even though I'm older than her. I remember this one time there's this kid who spilled juice in my skirt to make it look like I peed. I was about to cry when Jennie punched that kid in the face so I laughed instead. Turns out, that kid had a shoot for a commercial the next day and he had to do a lot of things to hide his black eye. Jennie was sent to the principal's office immediately after what happened and I felt really bad but she said she'd do it again if she had to.

 

 

That's when I realized my cousin was also my bestfriend.

 

 

 

Lisa noticed Jennie shivering because of her wet clothes so she took off her coat and wrapped it around Jennie which she instantly declined.

 

 


"You're only wearing a shirt underneath Manoban. You'll freeze to death."

 

 

 

Lisa wrapped the coat around Jennie once more, "Better me than you," she said nonchalantly. Rosé and I tried to suppress a giggle but failed.

 

 

 


What's cuter than Lisa's sweet gesture is Jennie's tomato-red cheeks. 

 

 

 

"Don't take that off again or I swear I'll go back to the bus, take a comforter, and wrap it around you like a sushi." She warned Jennie. Because of that, she didn't attempt to remove it again.

 

 

 

This is getting frustrating. They're like those people who really like each other and everyone around them knows EXCEPT THEM.

 

***

 

"Honestly Manoban. I left you half an hour ago and you're still not done assembling that tent." Jennie shook her head while her hands were placed at her waist like she's reprimanding a child.

 

 

 

"I have no idea why it won't stand up!" She grunted in frustration.

 

 

 

The sun's starting to go down so we were advised to set up our tents. Of course Chaeng and I will be sharing so that leaves the clueless duo together. Yes, it was all planned. We will be making a bonfire after both tents get set up but I think it's gonna take a long time since these two keep on fighting.

 

 

 

Jennie walked over to the side to examine what's wrong with their tent. "Hey genius," she called Lisa. "You know this part is supposed to go there and not here right?" 

 

 

 

Lisa then smiled apologetically and just let Jennie do all the work. 

 

 

 

I was so relieved that their tent was done so our ears could rest from their constant bickering. Unfortunately, we still have to make a bonfire.

 

 

 

"Ohmygod you're not gonna make fire using just one stick," Jennie said irritated.

 

 

 

"Trust me I've seen this on NatGeo. The guy made a fire just by doing this," she kept twisting the stick with her hands rapidly.

 

 

 

"Yeah I guess we could wait for another 10 years before you actually make a fire" 

 

 

 

Lisa squinted her eyes at Jennie. "Just give me 10 more minutes I swear I could do this."

 

 

 


So we waited for 10 minutes.

 

 

 

"THERE'S NOT EVEN A TRACE OF SMOKE SMARTASS. I'M FREEZING OVER HERE AND THE SUN IS STARTING TO SET"

 

 

 

"FINE," Lisa dropped the stick. "YOU THINK THIS IS EASY? WHY DON'T YOU TRY IT"

 

 

 

"GLADLY" Jennie brought out a piece of paper and a lighter and lit it up. The fire ignited immediately.

 

 

 

"YOU'VE HAD THAT ALL ALONG AND YOU DIDN'T EVEN TELL ME?" Lisa said in disbelief.

 

 

 

"OKAY FIRST, YOU DIDN'T ASK. AND SECOND, I TOLD YOU WHAT YOU WERE DOING IS UNNECESSARY BUT YOU DIDN'T LISTEN TO ME"

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"WELL YOU COULD HAVE SAID YOU HAVE A LIGHTER"

 

 

 

"YOU WERE SO PROUD OF YOUR STICK I DIDN'T WANT TO RUIN IT"

 

 

 

"Should we do something about them?" Chaeyoung whispered to me.

 

 

 

"Shh let them be. I'm sure they're not even aware we're still here." I whispered back.

 

 

 

We carefully stood up and left them there. God knows how long that fight will go on.

 


***

 

Lisa's POV

 

 

Our dinner was provided by the school so naturally, it was delicious. Chaeyoung even went back to the buffet for seconds and filled her plate with chicken wings. Jisoo tried taking some but Chaeyoung slapped her hand so she had no choice but to go back herself.

 

 

 

After dinner, the principal gathered everyone around this big bonfire to tell us the schedule for the entire weekend and laid down some rules. He also told us there will be this sort of "party" tomorrow night. Whatever.

 

 

 

We were heading back to our tent when Jisoo stopped us to say something. All three of us looked at her.

 

 

 

"What do you say we have our own little party tonight?" She grinned.

 

 

 

"How?"

 

 

 

"Well Chaeng brought her guitar so maybe we could jam. And...

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I brought beer."

 

 

 


Rosé gasped. "Chu! You're gonna get us in trouble"

 

 

 

"She's right. And as the governor, I will not allow this." Jennie added.

 

 

 

"What? Come on don't be such a party pooper. Jennie, we're seniors. We never tried breaking the rules and that is a rite of passage every senior must go through."

 

 

 

Jennie seemed like she was thinking about it for a moment. Wow, Jisoo can be really persuasive at times.

 

 

 

"No"

 

 

 

"Please? This is just beer. It's not like we're gonna get wasted or something."

 

 

 

"I said no-- DAMMIT CHU DON'T LOOK AT ME LIKE THAT"

 

 

 

I can't help laughing. Jisoo is trying so hard to pull off her please-jennie-i-know-you-can't-resist-me look.

 

 

 

Jennie sighed, "Fine."

 

 

 

"YES"

 

 

 

"You know sometimes I hate you."

 

 

 

"Nah. I know you love me." 

 

***

 

Jisoo brought out what seems like 20 cans of beer and offered us each. But when it was my turn, "I don't drink."

 

 

 

"WHAT?" All of them exclaimed. Is it that hard to believe? :/

 

 

 

"Wait, you never tried drinking beer? LIKE EVER?" Chaeyoung asked me. I shook my head as a reply.

 

 

 

"Or any type of alcohol." All of them gasped. "Okay guys quit doing that."

 

 

 

"Why not?"

 

 

 

"It's not really appealing. But if you have a can of pepsi there then that would be nice."

 

 

 

Jisoo took out a lemon-flavored carbonated drink instead since she didn't have pepsi.

 

 

 

They all seemed fine for the first few hours. But after a few more they started acting bat crazy.

 

 

 

"Hey Chaeng," Jisoo poked Rosé who seems to have fallen asleep while hugging her guitar. 

 

 

 

"What?"

 

 

 

"Do you think fishes feel wet all the time?"

 

 

 

"Dammit Chu I'm trying to sleep here." Then she bowed her head but raised it again. "OMG DO THEY?"

 

 

 

"I KNOW RIGHT" Then they high fived.

 

 

 

"I think those guys had a little too much beer." Jennie whispered to me. I looked at her and she was smiling with her eyes closed. Man, she's drunk too. 

 

 

 

I was about to stand up when Jisoo spoke, "OH ROSEANNE"

 

 


I looked at them and saw Rosé threw up on Jisoo. That woke her up.

 

 

 

"Come on we're cleaning you up then we're going to bed," Jisoo said. She stood up too quickly so she fell down. "I'M OKAY"

 

 

 

Her second attempt was successful and she managed to assist Rosé in getting up too.

 

 

 

I looked at Jennie, "Wanna go inside? It's almost 2am we have to get up at 8:00."

 

 

 

"There's one more can of beer. I cannot let this go to waste. Haha, I CANnot." She even laughed at her own joke. She has now entered a new stage of drunkenness.

 

 

 

"Hey Lisa," she called me. "Watch me chug this whole can in 10 seconds. Go on, set a timer."

 

 

 

Being the good girl I was, I obliged. And I thought, the sooner she finishes this beer, the sooner we can go to bed. I'm so tired.

 

 

 

And what do you know? She did it. I think it was pretty obvious I was impressed because she looked so smug.

 

 

 

"Tell me, you honestly have never drank any alcholic drink? Not even a sip? Or maybe a drop?"

 

 

 

"No. Not even wine."

 

 

 

"What? That's crazy! Wine is fruit. Fruit is healthy. WINE IS HEALTHY." I laughed at her. I think Drunk!Jennie is starting to become my second favorite.

 

 

 

"You're not even a teensy bit curious how beer tastes like?"

 

 

 

"I don't know. Maybe? But not enough to make me wanna try it."

 

 

 

"Oh come on Manoban! You have to experience it"

 

 

 

"I don't want to"

 

 

 

"Pleeeeeeeease" she even pouted.
 

 

 

 

"I don't know why you're even trying to convince me. You just drank the last can of beer."

 

 

 

"I just want to hear you say you wanna try it!"

 

 

 

"Fine," I conceded, hoping she would let it go and we could go to sleep. "I want to try it."

 

 

 

"Really?"

 

 

 

"Yes"

 

 

 

"Say you wanna know how beer tastes like"

 

 

 

"I WANNA KNOW HOW BEER TASTES LIKE"

 

 

 

 

 

 

And to my great surprise, she leaned in and kissed me... on the lips. It feels like my brain stopped working. Half of me is saying I have to push her away but the other half is saying "Don't! You know you're enjoying it"

 

 

 

And I chose to follow the latter. Jennie started to deepen the kiss and I could actually taste the beer from . Ohhh, this is what she meant.

 

 

 

After a while I started to feel guilty so I thought I should back away. But before I could, she fell down on me and began snoring gently. She just fell asleep while kissing me. How nice.

 

 

 

I just hope she doesn't remember this later. I can't even imagine how I'll ever be able to keep myself from kissing her every time I see her lips.

 


Dear God help me.