Chapter 27: Wonderwall

With or Without You

Lisa's POV

"Are you sure we're headed somewhere? Or did you just want to go out for a joyride?" I asked her teasingly.

I've been driving for the past hour without knowing where I'm actually headed. I'm only following Jennie's orders on where to turn or what not.

I've noticed this has become our thing. She'd drag me to the car then make me drive to god knows where and will only tell me the directions and not the exact destination.

Yes, she's quirky like that.
 

"Just drive, love." she replied, without glancing up from her phone.
 

"Can I at least have a clue on where this place is or what we're gonna do there?"
 

"We're going there because I want you to meet someone."
 

"Who?"
 

"Someone important."
 

"More important than me?" I once more.
 

"I think so," she said, which made me look at her abruptly, earning a light chuckle from her.
 

"Can you not joke about something like that?"
 

"Who says I'm joking?" she finally looked up from her phone and gave me a straight face. It scared me that there's no trace of a smile on her lips.
 

I am not familiar with this feeling I'm having right now. It's as if there's a knot in my stomach getting pulled on both ends, making it clench.
 

To say I was hurt was an understatement. Not to sound immature, but I have this urge to turn the car around and just go home. I don't want to meet this person. Whoever he or she is.

After a few more turns, we arrived at our destination. It was a white building that looked like a private company or organization or something.
 

But to my surprise, as we entered, it was a hospital. Hartford Medical Center, to be exact.
 

Who could we possibly be visiting here?
 

Maybe Jennie's important (ugh) person is a doctor. Or a nurse. Maybe the owner of this hospital.
 

She must've felt my lack of enthusiasm as we arrived at the elevator because she nudged me lightly.
 

"Why the long face?" I ignored her. So she pinched my arm. Still ignoring.
 

I was doing a great job ignoring her before she said something that made me turn to her immediately.

"I've always wanted to know how it's like to make out in an elevator."

 

"Y-you what?" I asked her, wide-eyed.
 

Before I even got an answer, the elevator door opened. She stepped out and held her hand to me.
 

"We're getting back on this topic later." I said as I took her hand and let her lead me down the white halls.
 

We reached the door on the far left corner and she opened it after knocking three times.
 

As we entered, I found a middle aged woman sitting on the hospital bed and a nurse beside her. She was looking at the tv but her mind seems to be wandering some place else.
 

Jennie let go of my hand and went over to the woman and kissed her cheek.
 

It took me a while to see the resemblance between them. If it weren't for Jennie placing her face beside the woman, I wouldn't have notice how much they look alike.
 

I took small, tentative steps as she signaled me to come over her side.
 

"Mom, this is Lisa," she said to the woman as she held my hand again. "She's the one I've been telling you about."
 

I extended my hand to her but she didn't take it. Her eyes were still fixated on the tv in front of her.

Jennie took her hand and placed it on mine so I shook it.
 

"Pleasure to meet you, Mrs. Kim."
 

I set her hand back to her lap and sat beside Jennie. I can't describe how I feel right now. It's like a paradox of emotions.
 

Jennie went out to go talk to her mom's doctor and I was left inside the room.
 

"So you were the one she constantly talks about with Mrs. Kim over here." The nurse said, smiling at me.
 

"I guess," I replied, supressing a smile forming in my lips. The thought of Jennie telling stuff about me to her mom makes me feel so happy.
 

"She goes here as often as she can, which is probably five times a week. And every time she tells her mom stories, it is mostly about you," she added. "The very first time she talked about you, if I recall correctly, was on your first day in school."
 

"Really? What did she say about me?"
 

"I think the term she used to describe you back then was '' and 'prick'"
 

I burst out laughing at the revelation. She had already told me before how pissed she was of me because of the class election fiasco, but every time I here stories like this, I still can't help laughing.
 

"But even though she still referred to you as a '' the next few times she came here, I saw an unusual gleam in her eyes every time she talked about you."
 

There it was again, the knot churning in my stomach. But this time it felt good.
 

After a few moments, Jennie returned. We spent several more hours in the hospital.
 

She talked to her mom almost the entire time and I couldn't help myself from butting in every now and then every time she says exaggerated and sometimes unrealistic stories about me.

I found it strange how comfortable I was with her mom's company. This never happened with me and my parents so I was grateful for the feeling.
 

It was already 5pm when Jennie decided it was time to go. It somehow broke my heart to have to leave her mom.
 

Because of that, I asked Jennie if I could come with her every time she visits.

"Of course you can, dummy. I'm sure she'd like that. I can tell she's fond of you." she said as she linked her arm to mine as we walked back to the car.
 

"But seriously babe, it would have been nice if you told me right away we were gonna visit your mom. I would've bought her flowers or a basket of cookies or something," I said as I opened the door of the passenger seat for her.

She got in and waited for me to go around the car and get in myself before she responded.
 

"It's really sweet of you to think that way, love. But flowers and cookies would be kind of pointless since she barely touches her food and is unable to appreciate anything."
 

I sensed the sadness in her voice despite the smile she was showing so I took her hand and squeezed it three times.

"She's gonna get better soon baby. I just know it."
 

"But it's been years," she said as she frowned. "Dad had countless doctors check up on her but it was no use."

 

I saw tears beginning to form in her eyes as she made an attempt to hide it by looking down.
 

"Nini look at me," I said as I lifted her chin up and was met with an already tear-stained face. "She's gonna get better. She's gonna go back to her old self. And you'll get to tell her your stories while she listens intently to every word you say. I'm not just saying this because you're my girlfriend and I don't want you to be sad, I'm saying this because I know for sure it's gonna happen," I kissed her hand and wiped her tears before continuing. "Now I want you to be strong. Not just for her, but for me too. Can you do that baby?"
 

She nodded and smiled at me. Which made me feel happy because I can tell it was genuine.

I planted a soft kiss on her lips before starting the car. I the radio to fill the silence on the ride home.
 

The last time I looked at her it looked like she was sleeping because her eyes were closed. So I didn't try talking to her.
 

I was feeling tired myself and was using every ounce of strength I have left to not fall asleep when a familiar song came on the radio.
 

Today is gonna be the day
That they're gonna throw it back to you
By now you should've somehow
Realized what you gotta do
I don't believe that anybody
Feels the way I do, about you now

Backbeat, the word was on the street
That the fire in your heart is out
I'm sure you've heard it all before
But you never really had a doubt
I don't believe that anybody
Feels the way I do about you now
 

I found myself singing along with the song while doing my best to not wake Jennie up.

 

And all the roads we have to walk are winding
And all the lights that lead us there are blinding
There are many things that I
Would like to say to you but I don't know how

Because maybe, you're gonna be the one that saves me
And after all, you're my wonderwall
 

I was so focused in driving while singing along to the song that I didn't notice Jennie shifted at her seat.
 

"Babe?"
 

"I'm sorry, did I wake you up?"
 

"It doesn't matter. What were you singing?"
 

"It's Wonderwall by Oasis. Why?"
 

"Nothing. I like it. What does wonderwall mean?"
 

"Umm, I'm not sure. What I know is that it's a person you constantly find yourself thinking about," I said as I took my right hand off the wheel and reached out to take her hand.
 

"Oh, that's nice," she turned the radio off. "Can you sing the rest of the song for me?"
 

"Whaaat. You know I don't feel good about my singing voice," I pouted, hoping I could convince her to change her mind.
 

But she counterattacked it with her patented heart melting gummy smile.
 

"Fine," I conceded. "I honestly lose all the time when it comes to you. I was the one who should've made your essay."
 

I heard a laugh from her before I began singing.
 

Today was gonna be the day
But they'll never throw it back to you
By now you should've somehow
Realized what you're not to do
I don't believe that anybody
Feels the way I do, about you now

And all the roads that lead you there are winding
And all the lights that light the way are blinding
There are many things that I
Would like to say to you but I don't know how

I said maybe, you're gonna be the one that saves me
And after all, you're my wonderwall

I said maybe, you're gonna be the one that saves me
And after all, you're my wonderwall

I said maybe, you're gonna be the one that saves me
you're gonna be the one that saves me
 

By the time I finished, I was expecting to find her asleep like she always does every time she asks me to sing for her at night. But she wasn't.
 

She was looking at me intently with a trace of smile forming on her lips.
 

"What?"
 

"Nothing."
 

"Come on, what is iiiit?" I poked her on the side which made her flinch.
 

"It's gonna sound too cheesy so I don't want to."
 

"Nini, you made an essay as a way of confessing your feelings for me. If you're gonna ask me, that's the cheesiest thing anyone could ever do. It's gonna be hard to top that," I , earning a playful slap in the arm.
 

"It's just I never thought it was possible for me to fall in love with someone as much as I do with you right now."
 

I felt myself blushing at what she said. It was a relief that the light was dim and she wouldn't be able to see how flushed my face is.
 

"Guess I was wrong. You just topped it."
 

She squeezed my hand three times, "I love you, Lisa."
 

I looked at her and couldn't help thanking God for creating someone as wonderful as her.
 

"I love you more, Jennie."