Chapter 10: M.I.A

With or Without You


Jennie's POV

 

"Will Lisa be able to join us?" Jisoo asked.

 

I shrugged. We haven't been seeing much of Lisa this week. If I didn't know better I would say she's trying to avoid treating us for lunch. But I know what she's been up to and as the governor, I can't complain about it.

 


The herald is rushing the school paper for the first quarter and they need the help of the photography club. They only have a week left so the members are excused from their classes.

 

But still. I can't believe she won't text me. A simple "how are you" would be nice. That .

 

"She really is busy eh?" Said Rosé who just finished eating ice cream. "Why don't we visit her?"

 


"Yeah she might be getting bored there."

 


"She's been spending a lot of time with Jae Young lately. Maybe she needs to see other faces too."

 


Oh yeah. You see, Jae Young is the Editor-in-Chief of the school herald so he gets to spend a lot of time with Lisa.

 


Maybe she's having soooo much fun with him that she couldn't even be bothered to send a single message. What a friend.

 


"What do you think Jen?" I turned to look at Jisoo

 

 

"I'm not feeling well so I can't go. Just say hi to her for me though."

 


I hugged them and left to go home. Halfway out the gate I remembered the papers I have to take home from the office. Ugh. I have to go back.

 


I hope there are still people near the south wing. The hallway there creeps me out. Why did they have to put the sc office in there :(

 


As I was approaching the office I heard a thud followed by footsteps inside. 

 


Slightly panicking, I grabbed the broom beside the door before I opened the room. There's no one inside. I walked towards the restroom and quickly opened the door.

 


"AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH"

 

I found Lisa sitting on the toilet bowl and I think I'm scarred for life.

 

Doing what any normal person would do upon accidentally seeing someone pee, I immediately closed the door. But it didn't stop me from yelling at her.

 


"WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE?"

 

"UH I THINK IT'S PRETTY OBVIOUS I'M PEEING, JENNIE" She shouted back at me.

 


"WHY HERE?"

 


"BECAUSE IT'S A RESTROOM. IN CASE YOU DON'T KNOW, THIS IS ONE OF ITS FUNCTIONS."

 


If I wasn't feeling so traumatized from what I just saw, I would snap back at her. "I MEAN WHAT ARE YOU DOING IN THE SC OFFICE "

 

"CAN WE CONTINUE THIS COVERSATION WHEN I'M OUT BECAUSE YOU'RE KINDA SCARING MY BLADDER SO I CAN'T PEE"

 

Seeing that she has a point, I patiently waited for her outside. A few seconds later I heard the flush then the door opened.

 

"Where were we?" She asked so casually it made me want to flick her forehead. So I did. "Ow. What was that for?"

 

"You scared me! I even picked up this broom before I entered because I thought there's a robber or something," I showed her the broom I was holding. After realizing I should've let it go a minute ago, I dropped it.

 

She laughed. "What? You think this is funny?"

 

"You look like a little kitten throwing a tantrum. So cute." Great, she's not taking me seriously.

 

I felt my face heating up and I don't know why. "Aw you're blushing."

 

I covered my face with my hands, "No I'm not! I'm just so pissed that's why my face is starting to turn red." I shook my head, "Wait you haven't told me yet what you're doing here."

 

"Oh right. Yohan asked me to get this flash drive," she raised her hand showing me a flash drive designed as Spiderman. "Then I remembered I have to pee so I went to the restroom."

 

"Why didn't you lock the door?"

 

"You're one to talk," I rolled my eyes at her. "Besides I didn't know someone would still be here."

 

"Fine. I'll just go get my stuff and let's walk out together."


I picked up the stack of papers at the top of my table then put them in two separate folders before leaving.

 

"Do you want to eat together?" Lisa asked me while I was locking the door.

 

"Right now?" She nodded. "Are you sure? It doesn't seem like you have the time. You can't even text any of us."

 

"Wait, are you mad?" She stopped walking and faced me, "I'm sorry I haven't been able to talk to you guys for the past few days. But you know what I'm doing is really important right?"

 

"I'm not mad. Just get back to what you're doing since it's REALLY important."

 

I felt her grab my arm to stop me from walking, "What are you so mad about? Even if I did remember to text you guys, I will only be able to text Jisoo and Rosé because I don't have your number."

 

I realized she was right so I let it go. We were walking down the stairs when her phone rang.


"Hello?... Can you tell Jae Young if I can take a break?... I'll be back in an hour... What?... No I'm with someone... Oh okay then... Yeah I understand... I'm on my way then."

 

After the call ended she took my phone from me and typed something. When she gave it back her number was in there and she even called herself to prove it's legit.

 

"Yohan just told me that if I could finish my work until tonight I don't have to go help for the next two days so I have to go. If you want I can go to your place later. I'll bring food."

 

I was about to tell her to bring french fries when I remembered I have to do something tonight.

"I'm gonna have dinner with my family tonight so I can't."

 

"You sure?" I nodded. "Then I'll have to make it up to you some other time. I'll go ahead." Then she blew me a kiss before turning around.


---

Lisa's POV

7:08 PM

 

Seeing the time makes me want to leave already. I'm still sorting the last folder of pictures so I can't leave yet. All the other members left an hour ago. 


Except for Jae Young. 

 


I looked at him sitting at the head of the conference table reading some articles. By the looks of it, I don't think he's getting enough sleep.

 


"Looks like you need a break yourself."

 


He seemed so invested in what he's reading that he didn't hear what I said. So I coughed.


"What? Were you saying something?" I chuckled.

 


"I said maybe you need to take a break as well."

 


"Oh. Well I can't have a peace of mind at home so I might as well stay here and finish all the work I can." He sighed, "I'm also having a hard time sleeping lately." Boom, I'm right.

 


"Because of work?"

 


He forced a smile, "Among many other things."

 


"Do you need someone to talk to about it?"

 


"I would like that. Though I don't want to bore you with my problems."

 


"Try me." I challenged him.

 


"Well, recently I've been placed in a situation where saying no doesn't seem to be an option."

 


"What do you mean?"

 


"Like they make it seem like you can say no but you really can't."

 


"Who's "they"?"

 


"My family."

 


"I'm not sure I completely understand what you're saying. But if they're your family then why would they pressure you to do something you don't want?"

 


"Well that's my family." He shifted from his seat, "Okay I'll tell you exactly what my problem is. It's not like you won't see it in the news one day."

 


News? What? I swear I'm not getting anything he's saying.

 


"You know how in well-known families they fix up their children to get married to someone they don't really know?"

 


"Yeah..."

 


He looked at me, trying to make me figure out the situation on my own. It took me seconds before I got it. "OH. Woah."

 


He chuckled. "Sorry if I freaked you out with my personal drama."

 


"I'm not freaked out." He raised his eyebrows, "I'm just surprised."

 


"Even though I know everyone's gonna find out one day, I would appreciate it if you don't tell anyone yet."

 


"Yes I won't."

 


His phone rang and his voice became stern. It's like he's a whole other person.

 

"Yes Father?... Right now?... Okay I just have to finish something... Fine I'll leave now... Okay bye"

 


He turned to me, "Want me to drive you home?"

 

"Nah, I brought my car along with me. But let's walk out together. It's pretty late and I don't want to wander these halls alone."

 


We walked out together and he waited for me to get in my car before leaving. Five minutes later my phone beeped. I opened it and saw one new message.

 

From: xxxxxxxxxxx

I forgot to say thanks for listening to my drama. So... thank you. Drive safely.  -JY

 

 


Would it be crazy if I said I was kind of disappointed because I was expecting the message was from a different person?