Chapter 20: Of Cupcakes And Roses

With or Without You

A/N: A little reminder guys, if I don't indicate whose point of view it is, it's the third person's POV

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

 


For the past couple of years, the 14th day of February was just another day for Jennie Kim. 

 

 

Other than her dad's gift (numerous chocolate bars), she didn't like anything about this day. Oh how she loathes Valentine's Day. 

 

 

It's already bad enough having to endure those annoying and cheesy love songs playing on the radio, but to roam around school and catch couples making out? That's just borderline disgusting.

 

 

 


But today there are a number of things she found odd. First, she woke up to find no text from her dad greeting her Happy Valentine's Day. She's not used to it. Her dad's the only guy who greets her and the only one making this day bearable for her.

 

 

 


Odd thing #2 is the cupcake and red rose she found on her bedside table this morning. After checking her phone, which is the first thing she does every morning, she stood up to find a mocha flavored cupcake sitting on top of the table along with the rose.

 

 

 

Looks like daddy is trying out something different this year, she thought to herself while she ate the cupcake. 

 

 

 

 

After preparing, she opened the door to find the concierge standing there while holding another cupcake and rose.

 

 


"I have been ordered to deliver these to you Miss Kim"

 

 


She just took the cupcake and rose with no questions asked. She's beginning to like this new thing her dad's trying out.

 

 

 

 

When she got to school, a little girl came up to her and asked what her name was. Upon saying her name, the girl waved over a group of kids around her age and they all formed a bee line then went to Jennie.

 

 

 


She found the act incredibly odd but really cute. She thought maybe the kids are doing something for Valentine's. 

 

 


She was about to walk away when the kids all pulled something from behind them, a cupcake and a rose each.

 

 

 

Now she's really puzzled. She can't believe her dad asked children to do this. 

 

 

 

Although she's thankful about it, she can't help whining. She's only been to school for 5 minutes and she's already carrying 8 roses and had to get a box where she could put the 8 cupcakes.

 

 

 


Not to mention the unwanted attention she's getting from other students. She might be trying to avoid all their stares but she knows it can't be helped.

 

 

 


By the time she got to their classroom the only person in there is Jisoo who laughed hysterically at the sight of her.

 

 


"Wow someone's been swarmed by fans early in the morning"

 


Jennie glared at her, "Shut up. I'm sure dad is the one up to this. I don't know if he's trying to do something nice for me or he's trying to punish me."

 

 

 


"Oooh uncle is being extra sweet this year eh? Maybe he just misses his little mandu. How is he?"

 

 


"I haven't seen him for a month. He's been flying to different places recently. Business stuff everywhere."

 


"Does it make you feel scared that soon you'll be the one in his place? You know, managing his businesses."

 


"To be honest, I'm quite terrified. I don't even know a single thing about business and management"

 


"I bet he's gonna teach you all the stuff you need to know so you have to stop worrying about it"

 


"That's the thing, Chu. I'm not sure I want his legacy. I know it sounds terrible that I don't want anything to do with it but that's exactly what I want."

 


"What? Then what do you want to do in the future?"

 


"I want to take up Creative Writing in college then maybe teach someday while working on a book. I just want a simple life. The kind where I could just get a flat somewhere in the city while I'm still young and maybe buy a house in the suburbs eventually when I finally decide to settle down."

 

 

Jisoo smiled at the thought. She didn't know her cousin only wanted things that were that simple. 

 

 

 

"That's a beautiful picture you're painting there. Have you already thought of someone you want to share it with?"

 


"What?"

 


"You talked about settling down. Surely you mean having a family right? Is there someone particular on your mind you want to share it with?"

 

 

 


Jisoo didn't need an answer from Jennie. The way she looked down and smiled to herself was enough to answer the question. 

 

 

 


"Do you already have a dress for prom?" Jennie said, attempting to change the topic.

 

 

 


"Yeah I'm supposed to pick it up but I wanted to keep you company because I know everyone won't be coming here. I don't want you to be alone on Valentine's Day."

 

 

 


"Don't worry about me. I got to finish some last minute preparations for prom. I can't believe it's happening the day after tomorrow. I feel so excited!"

 

 

 


"Tell me about it. Oh and hey I didn't know we could wear suits? Those are so hot right now I'm actually considering it."

 

 


"Yeah it's kinda nice. I was thinking of trying it too but I think I can't pull it off. Wait by the way, where's Chaeyoung?"

 

 

 


"Probably out on a date with someone. I don't know. Why are you even asking me"

 

 


The slight change of tone of Jisoo's voice didn't escape Jennie's notice. She opt to drop the topic.

 

 


After a few more minutes Jisoo left. Deciding she should just focus on her work, Jennie went to the office.

 

 

 

As she entered, she saw another cupcake and rose on top of her desk.

 

 


Her original plan of working on prom preparations the whole day ended up with having a movie marathon instead.

 

 

 


After scanning the only pc in the office, she found one folder containing romantic movies.

 

 


"Oh what the hell. Guess I could just try this for today."

 

 

 

An hour and a half later, Jennie found herself crying over Jamie Sullivan's death in A Walk to Remember. She cursed to herself and slightly regretted watching the movie.

 

 

 

Nevertheless, she still went on and watched The Fault in Our Stars and The Vow. And naturally, she cried.

 

 


If if weren't for the guard who came inside the office and told her it's already 7pm, she wouldn't have noticed. She picked up the box of cupcakes and carried the roses with her other hand and left.

 

 

 

Since she's sure the maids are the only ones in their house, she decided to sleep tonight at the hotel. She already planned how she's gonna spend the entire night on her journey home. She copied all the movies from the office computer and is planning to watch all of it tonight because 'dammit, these really are good' she thought to herself.

 

 

 


But to her surprise another odd thing happened on her way to her room. The door was slightly open but it's dark inside. 

 

 


"If the maids cleaned my room they would have made sure the door closed shut."

 

 


Paranoia was starting to creep up to her so she put down tbe box of cupcakes and roses then went and grabbed the broom near the elevator and took out the pepperspray from her bag before she slowly entered her room.

 

 

 


She was already preparing to smack the first person she sees when she noticed there are scented candles all over her living room which created enough light for her to see there were also rose petals scattered on the floor, making a path from the door to the center of the living room.

 

 

 

She closed the door behind her then proceeded towards the center of the living room with still slightly open. She didn't even notice she's still holding both the broom and the pepperspray.

 

 

 

The moment she reached the center, a figure rose from behind the couch. 

 

 


Lisa.

 

 

 


And she's holding another rose and cupcake.

 

 

 


Lisa walked towards Jennie while smiling, "What is it with you and brooms?" she chuckled.

 

 

 

Still in a state of shock, Jennie didn't speak. So Lisa was the one who spoke again.

 

 

 


"This is the last rose and last cupcake," she showed the objects to Jennie who was still unable to process what's going on in her mind. "I hope you're not looking for a profound explanation why I got you 12 roses and cupcakes because I really don't have one. I just thought it would to give you just one and it would probably be too much if it was more than 12. So here," she held out the cupcake and rose. "Happy Valentine's Day, Jennie."

 

 

 


Jennie was still too overwhelmed to speak so the only words she got to say were, "Y-you did this for me?" Lisa nodded. "Wow I can't breathe. Can you give me a moment?"

 

 

 


Lisa can't help but laugh. Why does everything she do just so adorable?

 

 

 

Jennie ran to a room located at the left side of the living room which Lisa assumes is the bathroom. After a few seconds Jennie went out.

 

 

 


"Okay what was that for?"

 

 

 

"I had to sprinkle water to my face to avoid fainting," Lisa gave her a worried expression, "But don't worry I'm okay now."

 

 

 

"You sure?"

 

 

 


Jennie nodded. "So umm... why?" Seeing Lisa's forehead crease, Jennie rephrased her question, "Why did you do this for me?"

 

 

 


Lisa laughed, "You know for a smart person, you're dumb at times," Jennie playfully slapped her arm.

 

 

 


Lisa came closer to Jennie, closing the gap between them. "I did this because I like you. Very much. Probably too much that I was willing to get bitten by your dog just to do this. Good thing your maids helped me out or else I'm probably on my way right now to the hospital," she slightly chuckled then her expression became soft. "I know we're just friends and that's probably the only thing we'll ever be. But I hope you can give me this night. Just one night where I could show you how I feel for you."

 

 

 


Lisa took one more step and held out her hand, "Having said so, will you dance with me?"

 

 

 


Jennie still couldn't believe what was happening. But one thing's for sure, she loves it.

 

 


She took Lisa's hand and placed her other hand on Lisa's shoulder. Lisa then pulled her even closer and began swaying.

 

 

 


As soon as they started dancing, a familiar song played at the speakers.

 

 

 

Take me as you are

Push me off the road

The sadness

I need this time to be with you


I'm freezing in the sun

I'm burning in the rain

The silence

I'm screaming calling out your name

 

 

 

 

Jennie looked up at Lisa to find the latter already staring at her. They both just stared at each other until Lisa began singing along to the song.

 

 

 


And I do reside in your heat

Put out the fire with me and find

Yeah you'll lose the side of your circles

That's what I'll do if we say goodbye

 

To be is all I gotta be

And all that I see

And all that I need this time

To me the life you gave me

The day you said goodnight

 

 

 


She didn't want to admit it to herself, but Lisa's voice is the most beautiful sound Jennie has ever heard her entire life.

 

 

 

The calmness in your face

That I see through the night

The warmth your light is pressing unto us

You didn't ask me why

I never would have known

Oblivion is falling down

 

 

 

Lisa leaned in closer to Jennie and rested her forehead onto hers while still singing the song. Jennie closed her eyes and thought to herself maybe there's nothing wrong in letting her guard down for tonight.

 

 

 

 

And I do reside in your heat

Put out the fire with me and find

Yeah you'll lose the side of your circles

That's what I'll do if we say goodbye

 

To be is all I gotta be

And all that I see

And all that I need this time

To me the life you gave me

The day you said goodnight

 

 

 

 

As the song faded, they still kept dancing. Lisa probably noticed Jennie was getting tired because she stopped moving so she gently lifted her up and placed her feet on top of hers so now she's carrying her. Jennie chuckled at what she did.

 

 

 

"Should we stop dancing? The song's over"

 

 

 


"I asked you to give me one night, not just one song." Lisa retorted, earning a pinch on the arm from Jennie. "Besides, you really think I only prepared one song?"

 

 

 

As Lisa said that, another song started playing from the speakers.

 

 

 

I was a quick, wet boy

Diving too deep for coins

All of your straight blind eyes

Wide on my plastic toys

 

 


Then when the cops closed the fair

I cut my long baby hair

Stole me a dog eared map

And called for you everywhere

 


Have I found you?

Flightless bird, jealous, weeping

Or lost you?

American mouth

Big bill looming

 

 

 

 

Jennie closed her eyes and leaned her head on Lisa's shoulder. She has never felt so calm and safe before like she was right now.

 

 

 

She is not sure what she is feeling that moment. But one thing was for sure...

 

 

 

She didn't want that night to end.

 

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: I hope everyone liked this chapter :) btw the featured songs are The Day You Said Goodnight by Hale and Flightless Bird by Iron and Wine. I recommend you to listen to those songs while reading this chapter.

 

((Filo blinks: Mundo by IV Of Spades sana yung isang song kaya kung mas prefer niyo yun, go lang))