Chapter 21: Socks And Onesies

With or Without You

Lisa's POV

 

 

I woke up at 2am to find Jennie sleeping peacefully on my lap. We probably fell asleep while the movie was still playing.

 

 

After dancing for what seemed like a couple of hours last night, I was about to leave when Jennie suggested I should just sleep at her place. Even though I really want to, I couldn't because I have to feed my cat, Leo. 

 

 

I thought she was gonna drop it but I was surprised when she suggested to come sleep at my place instead. Of course I obliged.

 

 

When we arrived around 10pm Jennie said she wants to watch a movie so we did. Which turned into 3 movies.

 

 

And here we are right now, just fell asleep on the couch with the tv still on. 

 

 

I don't want her back to get hurt so I gently lifted her up and tucked her in my bed before I went to clean up the empty pizza boxes on the center table.

 

 


After I finished tidying up the place, I decided to go back to sleep as well. But before I did, I remembered I should put a blanket on her. While I was doing so, she shifted and as her arm got exposed, I saw something I've never seen before.

 

 

 

 

There were scars.

 

 

 


I gently touched it and she squirmed. So these wounds are still fresh. I can't believe she cuts herself. And howcome I never seen this before?

 

 

 


After seeing these it makes me want to take care of her even more. I knew it. She's going through something. I wish there was a way to know what it is.

 

 

 

I looked at her face. God, even when asleep she's breathtaking. I can't imagine anyone wanting to hurt this sweet little angel.

 

 


She shifted again so I held her hand and kissed it.

 

 

 


I know you're not the kind of person who expects anyone to fix you, Jennie. Because you know very well only you can do that. So this is the only promise I can make, I will hold your hand while you try to fix yourself.

 

 

-----

 


I woke up a few hours later with Jennie not by my side. I quickly stood up and searched for a note in my room in case she left one. 

 

 


I was about to get devastated when I heard a laugh coming from the kitchen. I went outside and saw her standing behind the kitchen counter playing with Leo who's on top of it.

 

 

 

My jaw dropped at the sight of her. Not because she's playing with Leo, but because she was wearing my shirt. My shirt that falls down right to her knees yet somehow she still looks good in it. And damn I gotta say, she became ten times hotter.

 

 

 

It took several seconds of me staring at her before she noticed I was standing at the doorway.

 

 

"Oh hey you're up. Are you hungry? I made pancakes!" Then she lifted a plate filled with pancakes. "I didn't know Leo likes these. I left this plate unattended for a while and when I turned around there was one piece missing," she laughed.

 

 

 

I just stared at her. Come on brain, this is not a good time to stop functioning.

 

 

 

"You okay? Why are you staring at-- Oh wait is it because of this?" She pointed at the shirt. "I hope you don't mind. I spilled milk all over my clothes earlier so I borrowed this one."

 

 

 

I shook my head. Thank you, milk. "No... umm... if you want you could keep it."

 

 

 


She laughed, "Why are you stammering? Are you sure you're okay?" I nodded. "Come over here let's eat."

 

 

 

 

After devouring my share of pancakes, I was rendered speechless again. 

 

 

"These are so good!"

 

 

"Why do you sound so surprised? I was literally the one who cooked almost all our meals when we went on a trip remember?" 

 

 

 

"Yeah but this is the first time I tasted your pancakes. And you have no idea how much I love pancakes."

 

 

 

"Really you like it?"

 

 

 

"Yuh-uh," I almost my plate clean to prove my point to her. "These are so good I can eat this for an entire year and I wouldn't get sick of it. I mean how are you even real? You're the best cook I know. Dammit, you're such a wife material."

 

 

 

The words kept coming out of my mouth I only realized how embarassing what I said was only after I said it. . I wish the ground would open up and gobble me now.

 

 

 


I was afraid she might feel awkward with what I said but instead she smiled. She didn't even bother to hide her face which is turning pink.

 

 

 

"This might sound weird but out of all the people who said that, you're the only who makes me believe it."

 

 


I smiled back at her, "It's true. I slightly regretted saying it earlier but now I'm glad I did."

 

 


After she finished eating, she insisted on washing the dishes. While she was precoccupied, I took my camera and secretly took pictures of her. Unfortunately, she caught me.

 

 


"What are you doing?"

 

 


"For someone who hates rhetorical questions, you sure do ask a lot."

 

 

 

"Be thankful these are your dishes, Manoban. Because if these were mine, I wouldn't hesitate to throw these to you," then she laughed. "What I meant to ask was, why are you taking stolen pictures of me?"

 

 


"I don't know why but I like it better. Maybe because it shows the real thing."

 

 


"Why do you like taking pictures so much?"

 

 


"Because if I do then I could look back on that specific moment any time."

 

 


"You know I read something on the internet"

 

 

 

"What?"

 

 


"They say people take pictures of things they're afraid to lose," she stated. "Is that one of the reasons why you like doing that so much?"

 

 

 


I can't help but ask myself the same thing. Turns out, it is the reason. I remember the reason why I asked my dad to buy me a camera when I was a kid was because I wanted to take a picture of a puppy before we give it away.

 

 


"I never thought about that. Yeah I guess it is."

 

 


I turned around, heading back to my room to put the camera back when I heard Jennie speak.

 

 

"Lisa?"

 

 


"Yeah?"

 

 

 

"Just so you know, you don't have to worry about losing me." Then she smiled that heartwarming smile she always does. 

 

 


---

 


"I SWEAR IF YOU DON'T STOP MOVING I MIGHT ACTUALLY CUT YOUR EYEBROWS"

 

 


"HOW AM I EVEN SURE YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING?"

 

 


"THIS IS ACTUALLY THE FIRST TIME I'M DOING THIS BUT TRUST ME I GOT THIS"

 

 


I immediately moved back, "WHAT? YOU'RE EXPERIMENTING ON MY HAIR?"

 

 


In case you're wondering what's happening, Jennie's trying to cut my bangs. We were playing chess earlier when she randomly thought of t it because according to her, "You look like one of those hairy dogs. You know, the cute ones. But unlike them, you're not."

 

 

 

"Will you calm down? I mean this is the first time I'm cutting someone else's hair but I used to cut mine before so just trust me."

 

 

 


Seeing that I have no choice because she already cut some on the left side and if I don't let her finish I'm gonna look weird, I just let her do it. While she was at it I can't help but pray to all the saints that I still have my eyebrows on once she's done.

 

 

 

"Hey Lisa"

 

 

 

"Hmm?"

 

 


"When you told me earlier I'm wife material, what did you mean by that?"

 

 

 

Okay self, try not to say anything that would make you want to evaporate.

 

 

"Because you're good at taking care of people and an exceptional cook."

 

 


"That's it?"

 

 


"Yeah. I mean that's the most important thing right? Not the cooking part but taking care of others."

 

 


"Oh okay."

 

 


I stared at her. I could do this all day to be honest.

 

 

 

"Jennie?"

 

 


"Yup?"

 

 


"What are you looking for in a partner?"

 

 


She was caught offguard with my question so she suddenly stopped. 

 

 


"Why do you ask?"

 

 


"Because we're on the subject. And I'm really curious."

 

 


She went back to cutting my hair, "I don't believe in standards."

 

 


"Oh dear is this like the way you don't believe in soulmates?" She chuckled.

 

 


"I just think standards aren't accurate. Like we make up this perfect image of the person we want to fall in love with only to find out soon that we only know what we want when it's right in front of us," as she said the last few words she looked at me. Right in front.

 

 


After a few moments she finally finished. I laughed at her triumphant smile when I told her it looks nice.

 

 


"Have you finished writing your essay for English?" She asked.

 

 


"Oh right I totally forgot about that. What was the topic again?"

 

 


"The best way to lose."

 

 


I sighed, "Out of all the topics that's what she gives us. What does that even mean? I don't think there's a good way to lose." Jennie looked down and smiled to herself. "Have you started?"

 

 


"Yes. In fact I just finished it."

 

 


"Ohh what's it about?"

 

 

"Losing duh."

 

 


"No I want specific details. You gotta help me out I have no idea what to write."

 

 

"Just write whatever comes into your mind."

 

 


"What is yours about?"

 

 


"You." 

 

 


I instantly looked up at her, "What?"

 

 


"I wrote it about you."

 

 


"Wha-- can i read it? Where is it?"

 

 


"No you can't" she even stuck her tongue out.

 

 


"I'm not gonna copy the idea. I just wanna read it"

 

 


"No"

 

 


"Come on. Don't you think I have a right to know because it's about me?"

 

 


She scratched her chin, pretending to think. "I suppose you have a point. But no, you still can't read it." I pouted.

 

 


Then suddenly an idea struck me. "Let's make a deal."

 

 


"What deal?"

 

 


"If I score higher than you on our math quiz, you let me read your essay. But if I don't, I'll drop it."

 

 


"Sounds good. Deal," she shook my hand. 

 

 


We spent the rest of the morning playing xbox. I can't believe this, I keep losing to her.

 

 


"You at this. Come on let's go," She stood up and stretched her hand. 

 

 


I gave her a puzzled expression, "Where are we going?"

 

 


"I'm taking you out on a date." 

 

 


"What-- Jennie I'm on my pajamas and you're only wearing boxers under that oversized shirt can we at least change--"

 

 


Before I could even finish what I was saying, she pulled me up and dragged me all the way to the car.

 

 

 


A few minutes later we're on the road. I'm just following the directions she's saying since she won't tell me where we're going.

 

 

 

"Why can't you just tell me where we're going? I'm gonna find out eventually."

 

 


"But where's the fun in that?"

 

 


"So you're having fun seeing me suffer?"

 

 


She flashed her gummy smile and nodded. I can't resist staring at her.

 

 


" Manoban keep your eyes on the road!" She yelled at me because I almost ran a red since I was too busy staring at her.

 

 


After a few turns, we finally arrived at our destination.

 

 


"Walmart?"

 

 


Instead of saying anything, she dragged me once more and headed inside. I'm way past protesting so I just took a cart and followed her.

 

 


"Wow I didn't know this was your ideal date"

 

 


She laughed, "Well if there's one thing you should know about me it's that I get satisfied with simple things."

 

 


We strolled around the store for a long time yet the only things she managed to buy were chips, ice cream, and Nutella. 

 

 

As we were about to head to the counter, we passed by a section of baby clothes and she suddenly squealed in delight.

 

 


"Omg look at the cute wittle socks," she said in her baby voice. "Oh and look at that mini elephant onesie"

 

 


She was so into checking out baby clothes (especially the socks) that I couldn't get her to leave.

 

 


"Jennie I'm getting hungry. Can we please go?"

 

 


"But the little socks..." she pouted at me.

 

 


"Ugh," I facepalmed. "Fine just take what you want. I'll buy those for you."

 

 


She got so excited she jumped up and hugged me. After a few more minutes of choosing what to buy, she finally decided on 5 different designs. Which are mostly pink ones. Oh and she even took the elephant onesie and a bear one.

 

 


As we were paying at the counter, the saleslady spoke to us.

 

 


"I assume your baby is a girl?" She said while looking at us.

 

 


"Oh no we're not a coup--"

 

 

I was cut off by Jennie who suddenly linked her arm to me, "Yeah we actually have twins. I just absolutely love dressing them up with cute clothes. Right love?" She turned to me.

 

 


This time I was the one caught offguard. "I uhhh... yeah."

 

 

 


-----

 


"So twins huh?" I . We're now at Mcdonald's eating late lunch.

 

 


She took a bite out of her burger and smiled. "Yeah I always wanted twins eversince."

 

 


"Don't you think it's a lot to handle?"

 

 


"Nah. I think it will be fun."

 

 


"Have you thought of any names yet?"

 

 


After I said that she instantly grinned. "This is kind of embarassing because I know it's too early to think about these things but yeah I already thought of those."

 

 


"Really? What?"

 

 


"Alexis and Alexa."

 

 


I can't help but smile at her. I didn't know she was thinking about these kinds of stuff.

 

 


After eating, I was about to take her home when she remembered something.

 

 


"Can we stop by my personal tailor? I have to get my dress for tomorrow night."

 

 


So I obliged. When we got there I was in awe at the beautiful dresses displayed.

 

 

Jennie wasn't kidding when she said she only hires the best when it comes to fashion. I had to sit on the couch right in front of a mini stage while I was waiting for her. The staff served me some tea and macarons while waiting. 

 

 


I was starting to get restless and I was about to roam around the store when I heard her call my name from behind the curtain.

 

 

I came closer, "What is it? Do you need anything?"

 

 


She slightly opened the curtain just enough for me to catch a glimpse of her and for the nth time this week, I was speechless.

 

 

"Can you zip me up?"

 

 


"S-sure"

 

 


As soon as I zipped her dress up she told me to go back down so I can see her better on the mini stage.

 

 


She opened the curtains and walked down the stage. The owner of the store and her assistant stared at Jennie, both speechless, while she walked towards the front. Good to know I wasn't the only one who had that reaction.

 

 


"So what do you think?"

 

 


"You look like a goddess darling!" Natalie, the owner said.

 

 


"I think even Aphrodite herself would be intimidated." Natalie's assistant seconded.

 

 


Jennie turned to me, waiting for an answer.

 

 

 

I smiled at her, "You clean up well, Kim."

 

 

 

If I wasn't mistaken, I saw her blush before she turned around to change.

 


----

 

 

"Thanks for today. And for last night," she said to me while we entered her room.

 

 


I took her home after she got her dress and now I'm helping her carry all her stuff to her room which isn't easy because there were stairs involved.

 

 


"Don't mention it," I smiled at her. "Hope you had fun."

 

 


"Yes I did. I don't think there's enough words to describe how much fun I had with you."

 

 


I was about to go down when I remembered something.

 

 

"Jennie"

 

 


"Yes?"

 

 


"Did any of these mean anything to you?"

 

 


"What do you mean?"

 

 


I rubbed the back of my neck, "I mean do you... is there a part of you that likes me... you know, more than a friend?"

 

 


Her eyes widened, "I--uhh. I don't think so."

 

 


I looked down. I don't want her to see me hurting.

 

 


"I thought we talked about this..." she reached out to touch my hand but I moved it away. 

 

 


"That is the problem with you!"

 

 


She looked at me with a confused expression. "What do you mean?"

 

 


"THIS. YOU KEEP GIVING ME MIXED SIGNALS"

 

 


"NO I'M NOT. IT'S NOT MY FAULT YOU ASSUME THINGS EASILY"

 

 


"NO JENNIE. THIS IS NOT ME MAKING DELUSIONS. THIS IS ABOUT YOU SAYING YOU DON'T HAVE ANY FEELINGS FOR ME BUT YOUR ACTIONS SAY OTHERWISE"

 

 


She looked offended and a part of me wanted to take back what I said.

 

 

 

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN MY ACTIONS SAY OTHERWISE I--"

 

 


"THE GROCERY DATE. NOT CORRECTING THE SALESLADY WHEN SHE THOUGHT WE WERE A COUPLE. THE KISS FROM THE LAKE. TELL ME WHAT DO THOSE MEAN?"

 

 


There was a moment of silence before she started to cry. Oh God. Now I want to hug her and apologize. But I couldn't. I feel bad for hurting her but she should know she's hurting me too.

 

 


"I... I don't... Can you please leave?"

 

 


"What? No. I want to talk about this."

 

 


"THEN I'M THE ONE WHO'S GONNA LEAVE"

 

 


Everything happened so fast. She turned around too quickly, causing her to lose balance and fall from the stairs.